General Gaming News.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Kind of a tough one to call really.

Any "Creative" industry is going to have signficiant ups and downs in the employment range, because very few are capable of a full-time job over multiple years of creative endeavours.

To continue keeping a large staff of game makers employed, if you're not actively making a game, is going to be a near impossibility (unless you have the royalties of some mega hit or a secondary actual treadmill like Steam/GoG/Epic/etc store. It'd be like trying to run a band with salaries, if they aren't actively recording/touring.

And if you just pump out whatever half-brained thing, your rep goes into the ditch and you're likely to start losing money even moreso.

Which is what led to a lot of middlish studios getting bought up (or just contract hopping), particularly in the mid-late 2010s. Where in between actual games the studio would just be doing mercenary work with an MP mode here, a DLC there, etc

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Casual Shinji, @Specter Von Baren, @sXeth, & @CriticalGaming:

Naughty Dog is getting into this too now. The multiplayer is officially dead now! Then why even have these people, if you're just going to fire them later? So much for supporting your developers, ND & Sony.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
@Casual Shinji, @Specter Von Baren, @sXeth, & @CriticalGaming:

Naughty Dog is getting into this too now. The multiplayer is officially dead now! Then why even have these people, if you're just going to fire them later? So much for supporting your developers, ND & Sony.

Well, there's a difference between firing developers because a project fell through, and firing developers because stockholders want to keep their interest up. Still sucks though, and in both cases reason why the industry should unionize. This freelancing doesn't seem to be doing anyone any good.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
, there's a difference between firing developers because a project fell through, and firing developers because stockholders want to keep their interest up.
Exactly!. As Jim has pointed out yesterday, most of these publishers are doing it just to please their stockholders and investors.

Still sucks though, and in both cases reason why the industry should unionize. This freelancing doesn't seem to be doing anyone any good.
Unionize indeed. Tell me about it.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Well, there's a difference between firing developers because a project fell through, and firing developers because stockholders want to keep their interest up. Still sucks though, and in both cases reason why the industry should unionize. This freelancing doesn't seem to be doing anyone any good.
Yep. I get the feeling this happened because Neil got way above is head, pretending everything is fine and ignoring all those critics and concerns within the team.

The dude needs to learn difference between confidence and ignorance. Feel bad for the low-level employees who'll most likely be the ones getting axed. Not so much for Neil himself.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yep. I get the feeling this happened because Neil got way above is head, pretending everything is fine and ignoring all those critics and concerns within the team.

The dude needs to learn difference between confidence and ignorance. Feel bad for the low-level employees who'll most likely be the ones getting axed. Not so much for Neil himself.
I mean, not really. If he had they would've continued on with this multiplayer game despite the guys they brought over from Bungie telling them it's not good enough. The fact that they did that, took their advise to heart and stopped the production right then and there, shows they're not overconfident and ignorant.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
I mean, not really. If he had they would've continued on with this multiplayer game despite the guys they brought over from Bungie telling them it's not good enough. The fact that they did that, took their advise to heart and stopped the production right then and there, shows they're not overconfident and ignorant.
IDK, why does it take big names like Bungie to tell them it won't work? Why couldn't they figure that out themselves? CP2077 multiplayer portion was scrapped because CDPR knew they screwed up the launch, really quickly too. And they figured this out on their own.

I bet it was a huge dent in Neil's ego too.

Anyways, GameStop's new CEO doesn't want anymore money wasted
Extreme frugality is required. Every expense at the company must be scrutinized under a microscope and all waste eliminated. The company has no use for delegators and money wasters. I expect everyone to treat company money like their own and lead by example.
I mean iI'd personally argue it were crappy things like NFTs and selling low-quality merchs. No? It's the employees? Well alright. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
IDK, why does it take big names like Bungie to tell them it won't work? Why couldn't they figure that out themselves? CP2077 multiplayer portion was scrapped because CDPR knew they screwed up the launch, really quickly too. And they figured this out on their own.

Because Bungie is a big player on the multiplayer scene. When ND first dipped their toes into multiplayer with Uncharted 2 they brought in some help from Infinity Ward, even mentioned them in the credits. When Guerilla made the first Horizon game they brought in some quest designers from CD Project. Not every studio knows how to make everything, or is as trained in making certain games, that's why some are better at making singleplayer games or multiplayer games.

Also, why care so much about Neil Druckmann? He's just a dude. 🤷‍♂️

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Usually because of sunk cost.

It is really difficult for people who have invested a lot of time and effort into a project to see and accept that it was all for nothing. That is why many projects drag on way too long or get horrible releases when they can't be saved. Some of them take their studio with them.

You can't be involved in developing a game and impartial when estimating its chances at the same time.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Anyways, GameStop's new CEO doesn't want anymore money wasted

I mean iI'd personally argue it were crappy things like NFTs and selling low-quality merchs. No? It's the employees? Well alright. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This…actually makes me want to play CP2077 more. It’s showing that CDPR is learning something and listening to customers more again vs just being corporate pawns.

As an aside, TLoU2’s single player alone was outsourced to 14 other studios.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
As an aside, TLoU2’s single player alone was outsourced to 14 other studios.

I reckon that's pretty much customary now. I think even with Horizon: Zero Dawn they were outsourcing a shitton to Chinese studios. And I'm sure when Spider-Man 2 gets released it won't be solely an Insomniac game.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I reckon that's pretty much customary now. I think even with Horizon: Zero Dawn they were outsourcing a shitton to Chinese studios. And I'm sure when Spider-Man 2 gets released it won't be solely an Insomniac game.
Iirc a lot of Starfield was made by other studios and sort of pieced together

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
Apparently a spiritual successor to dino crisis just came out.

And it.

Looks.

so bad.

not 'so bad it's good' before any sickos (you know who you are!) start brandishing their bank cards at the graphics, dire voice acting, poor editing, shonky animation and dull environments...it just looks bad to play. --- drop the card. hold your breath. count to 1000. give me your pin number. count to 2000. walk away and forget this ever happened

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Reviews for AC Mirage are rolling in

They all seem to agree that stealth is finally back with Mirage, and gone are the levels, xp, and gear level. It finally feels like an AC game.

The story is rather lackluster and Basim's character feels flat. It's non-sequential, meaning some story bits can be completed in any order.

That means nothing will really feel concise, because you could be investigating for one target and end up killing another.

The city of Baghdad is a great location, with each district having its own identity. No significant landmarks, though.

The tools and weapons (sword + dagger) you have are fun to experiment with. While there are no gear levels, you can still upgrade them.

During open combat, the enemies will have different styles you must counteract

Skill trees are short, but the upgrades are meaningful

IDK, personally I think I'll wait for sale on this one.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Reviews for AC Mirage are rolling in

They all seem to agree that stealth is finally back with Mirage, and gone are the levels, xp, and gear level. It finally feels like an AC game.

The story is rather lackluster and Basim's character feels flat. It's non-sequential, meaning some story bits can be completed in any order.

That means nothing will really feel concise, because you could be investigating for one target and end up killing another.

The city of Baghdad is a great location, with each district having its own identity. No significant landmarks, though.

The tools and weapons (sword + dagger) you have are fun to experiment with. While there are no gear levels, you can still upgrade them.

During open combat, the enemies will have different styles you must counteract

Skill trees are short, but the upgrades are meaningful

IDK, personally I think I'll wait for sale on this one.
See, this is something where I have to take Skill-Up reviews with a grain of salt. He makes a point of pointing out in the description,

“It might have got across the finish line had the writing done its job, but this is the worst written AC game I've played. Sadly, I can't recommend this.”

But, if the game got rid of a lot of the garbage that’s been accumulating on the series and brought it back to feeling “like an AssCreed game” to play, then is it really that bad? What is he reviewing here, a game or a movie?