Funny events in anti-woke world

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You are the one who said that his comment couldn't possibly be about failure rates, and had to mean that they "don't work". If "don't work" doesn't mean 0% to you, then you are now saying he was talking about failure rates. You're trying to dunk on yourself.
This is a pretty basic failure of comprehension. I said his comment wasn't about failure rates because... he said nothing about failure rates. He gave no numbers, probabilities, or anything else. You tried to ascribe those to him.

What he did say was all just about how useless they are. He described them as a net that sperm and HIV pass easily through. This very obviously gives an impression of ineffectiveness, like a sieve; an insignificant amount of protection.

If someone said a human can "walk easily through a brick wall", would you say that person is making a statement about the "failure rate of brick walls"... because sometimes they fall down? Or would you be honest with us and say the statement is silly and wrong?

And not all condoms are manufactured without defect. And not all condoms remain intact through use. And even intact condoms are not a guarantee you won't infect someone while having sex.
None of which mean HIV can "pass through a condom". It cannot.

Reactions: BrawlMan

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
he said nothing about failure rates. He gave no numbers, probabilities, or anything else. You tried to ascribe those to him.
Well, you see, that's what the phrase "margins of uncertainty" refers to, so he absolutely did say something about that. He gave no hard numbers, but that makes sense when asked a question in an interview that you don't have sources prepared for.
If someone asks you whether guns fire bullets, do you say "no" because of an unspoken rationale that a gun might be broken?
That's not how logic works. You can't substitute a "can" question for a "do" question and have a valid analogy. It's the difference between:
Do gas cans hold water? (Likely answer is "no, they hold gasoline")
Can gas cans hold water? (Likely answer is "yes, they can")

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
That's not how logic works. You can't substitute a "can" question for a "do" question and have a valid analogy. It's the difference between:
That's not really logic you're playing, it's just semantics.

Plus, the question is whether HIV can go through latex, to which the answer is "No". It can go through holes in the latex, which may occur if the latex membrane is broken.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Eh, Cyberpunk already did it, so it is nothing new anymore in the field of big title videogames.
I think Saints Row 4 also let you choose your pronouns back in 2013, but that didn't stop a certain cry baby from throwing a fit over the option in 2023.

Remember back in 2007 when we all ridiculed Fox News for getting their panties in a twist over Mass Effect allowing gay romance? Now here we are and the Burning Shores DLC for Horizon: Forbidden West is riling up actual "gamers" for having the option for a girl to kiss another girl.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Remember back in 2007 when we all ridiculed Fox News for getting their panties in a twist over Mass Effect allowing gay romance?
Honestly, no. At the time i did not yet consume much English speaking news and none in my country cared at all.
But yes, choosing pronouns has been around for quite some time in various games. Doesn't exactly require much coding, cost is mostly in voice acting if there is any.

I completely missed the Burning Shores thing. Some people seem desperate to get the attention and the culture war/woke video game debate running.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Well, you see, that's what the phrase "margins of uncertainty" refers to, so he absolutely did say something about that. He gave no hard numbers, but that makes sense when asked a question in an interview that you don't have sources prepared for.
"Margins of uncertainty" tells you nothing except that you cannot be completely certain of the outcome.

Combine that with the idea that a condom is a net full of holes big enough for sperm and viruses to easily get through. Now, does that give you an impression that using a condom offers significantly more protection than not using one? Or does it give you the impression that they're not effective at stopping HIV? Be honest, for the first time in the thread.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Now here we are and the Burning Shores DLC for Horizon: Forbidden West is riling up actual "gamers" for having the option for a girl to kiss another girl.
Some people are desperate for attention.

Some people seem desperate to get the attention and the culture war/woke video game debate running.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Remember when this lesbian scene happened in Fear Effect 2, and how no one complained once? What makes Burning Shores so special? Rhetorical question, btw.

Apparently, FE: Sedna came out in 2018, yet no one was complaining about this either.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
"Margins of uncertainty" tells you nothing except that you cannot be completely certain of the outcome.

Combine that with the idea that a condom is a net full of holes big enough for sperm and viruses to easily get through. Now, does that give you an impression that using a condom offers significantly more protection than not using one? Or does it give you the impression that they're not effective at stopping HIV? Be honest, for the first time in the thread.
If you take that one sound bite in a vacuum, your interpretation is reasonable, I believe I've already said this.

You have much more context at your disposal than that one sound bite.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
If you take that one sound bite in a vacuum, your interpretation is reasonable, I believe I've already said this.

You have much more context at your disposal than that one sound bite.
The context of him saying things substantially different in tone and substance later, after backlash?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
The context of him saying things substantially different in tone and substance later, after backlash?
The context of him saying things in the same conversation with different implications, as well as later statements, yes.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The context of him saying things in the same conversation with different implications, as well as later statements, yes.
The only thing you've highlighted from the same conversation-- the term "margin of uncertainty"-- provides no meaningful limit. There is a "margin of uncertainty" about how much water gets through a sieve.