What are you currently playing?

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
For the next two weeks, I'm probably gonna be playing... nothing at all. I'll be out of town for a while, and I won't be bringing any game consoles with me so that I won't lose them. Maybe I'll hit an arcade or two, but that probably isn't worth noting in real time; doubt any of you care which 11- and 12-step songs I've cleared in DDR A3. In the meantime, I hope you guys don't burn this place to the ground.

As for what I'm gonna play when I get back, I'm still thinking about it, but after Super Mario RPG, maybe I'll give one of the other Mario RPGs another run.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Jedi Fallen Order: the almost great game.

The combat? Almost great! Frankly if this was just a normal fantasy game, no one would give half a shit. But because your sword is a laser and not steel, that automatically makes it better. Frankly, I don't think the "Dark Souls" approach (if this is even truly similar to Dark Souls) works. The last thing that comes to mind when you think "Jedi" is "clumsy", but you will constantly feel clumsy playing this game. When it works though, it does genuinely feel fucking sweet to slice up some aliens.

The Metroid-vania? Almost great. It does feel super cathartic to sweep through areas you used to be unable to access, double jumping and wall running without a care. But was it worth traversal feeling like absolute shit the first half of the game? Not really. Jedi double jump. Period. To make it something you unlock is incredibly annoying. Speaking of...

The platforming? Yeah okay, the platforming was consistently ass. Please stop Respawn, all these sequences look fucking dumb and play like shit.

The story? Almost great. I like Cal. I like Cere. I like Greez. I even like Merrin. But I do not for one second buy that any of them care about each other. You spend hours and hours on your own, and then all the character stuff happens in 5 minutes after you finally make it back to your ship. There are individually great sequences, like Cal's flashbacks, and fun world building in collectibles, but overall, I felt too divorced from the narrative.

I've already complained a ton about my gripes with the performance and polish of this game. I have to ask, is Jedi Survivor (on console) less janky? Because I can't understand what makes this game so janky. The graphics aren't great, the game world isn't huge, and Respawn's other games are well known for their polish and smooth performance.

Overall, I still enjoyed it. But I can say with 100% certainty that if this game didn't have Star Wars painted all over it, I would have never tried this game out, much less finish it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Arkham Knight! Thought I'd finally play NG+ and Platinum it. I'd forgotten I'd purchased the Season Pass years ago so there should be a bunch of new missions too. Just finished Mad Hatter's.

The graphics, lighting and rain effects on this remain unparalleled by the way. In-game animations can be a bit stiff or wonky but freeze on any frame of Batman gliding over Gotham or speeding through Chinatown and it looks like a painting.

Reactions: gorfias

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
In-game animations can be a bit stiff or wonky
The combat animations are top tier. Everything else though? Yeah, Batman feels... soulless. Like you're piloting a robot. He never really reacts to things in cutscenes, unless it's being punched or shot. Doesn't help that it is far from Conroy's strongest performance (which I completely put down to Rocksteady).

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
The combat animations are top tier. Everything else though? Yeah, Batman feels... soulless. Like you're piloting a robot. He never really reacts to things in cutscenes, unless it's being punched or shot. Doesn't help that it is far from Conroy's strongest performance (which I completely put down to Rocksteady).
On one hand it could be the thematics, as Batman is tired and is usually pretty stoic anyways outside of the need to take action. On the other, it could be Kevin Conroy himself was just tired and frustrated.

Arkham Knight! Thought I'd finally play NG+ and Platinum it. I'd forgotten I'd purchased the Season Pass years ago so there should be a bunch of new missions too. Just finished Mad Hatter's.

The graphics, lighting and rain effects on this remain unparalleled by the way. In-game animations can be a bit stiff or wonky but freeze on any frame of Batman gliding over Gotham or speeding through Chinatown and it looks like a painting.
How is performance now on PS5? Apparently just a year ago it was a laggy, stuttering mess.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Jedi Fallen Order: the almost great game.

The combat? Almost great! Frankly if this was just a normal fantasy game, no one would give half a shit. But because your sword is a laser and not steel, that automatically makes it better. Frankly, I don't think the "Dark Souls" approach (if this is even truly similar to Dark Souls) works. The last thing that comes to mind when you think "Jedi" is "clumsy", but you will constantly feel clumsy playing this game. When it works though, it does genuinely feel fucking sweet to slice up some aliens.

The Metroid-vania? Almost great. It does feel super cathartic to sweep through areas you used to be unable to access, double jumping and wall running without a care. But was it worth traversal feeling like absolute shit the first half of the game? Not really. Jedi double jump. Period. To make it something you unlock is incredibly annoying. Speaking of...

The platforming? Yeah okay, the platforming was consistently ass. Please stop Respawn, all these sequences look fucking dumb and play like shit.

The story? Almost great. I like Cal. I like Cere. I like Greez. I even like Merrin. But I do not for one second buy that any of them care about each other. You spend hours and hours on your own, and then all the character stuff happens in 5 minutes after you finally make it back to your ship. There are individually great sequences, like Cal's flashbacks, and fun world building in collectibles, but overall, I felt too divorced from the narrative.

I've already complained a ton about my gripes with the performance and polish of this game. I have to ask, is Jedi Survivor (on console) less janky? Because I can't understand what makes this game so janky. The graphics aren't great, the game world isn't huge, and Respawn's other games are well known for their polish and smooth performance.

Overall, I still enjoyed it. But I can say with 100% certainty that if this game didn't have Star Wars painted all over it, I would have never tried this game out, much less finish it.
*nods vigorously especially the last sentence*

The sequel? Same. But you probably guessed that.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Combat is great, I meant whenever the game defaults into Bethesda staring contests. It might be in character for Batman but everybody else feels like an animatronic.

On one hand it could be the thematics, as Batman is tired and is usually pretty stoic anyways outside of the need to take action. On the other, it could be Kevin Conroy himself was just tired and frustrated.

How is performance now on PS5? Apparently just a year ago it was a laggy, stuttering mess.
Couldn't tell you, playing on PS4 (and for what it's worth it runs smoothly). I thought the infamously buggy version was on PC?

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Combat is great, I meant whenever the game defaults into Bethesda staring contests. It might be in character for Batman but everybody else feels like an animatronic.

Couldn't tell you, playing on PS4 (and for what it's worth it runs smoothly). I thought the infamously buggy version was on PC?
Some people have reported lag and stuttering on the newer consoles too. Not sure if the 30fps cap has anything to do with it.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Yeah I thought so. I wonder if this has always been a Rocksteady problem that was hidden behind old-gen graphics and revealed by modern graphics, or something specific to Knight.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Started AssCreed Mirage a few days ago. It's fine.
Due to some combination of the whole "back to roots" marketing b.s. and simplified mechanics, I did actually have to apply care and thought to stealth. This might change when I get smoke bombs and other tools but it's been a while since I played like that in an AC game.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Still Void Stranger. Think I'm going to have to give up on fighting Cif legit. It's just so completely ridiculous, bullet hell is hard enough without being locked to a grid when the projectiles aren't. After about 5 hours of attempts I can make it through her first phase, not consistently, but every 5 min or so, but then her attack patterns change and I just can't manage. I need practice at the second phase but 10 seconds every 5 minutes is not enough. After looking at a guide it seems like there's another TWO PHASES after. I can't even deal with the second, 2 more seems impossible. Especially sucks because I accidentally found the way you are supposed to beat the fight after two hours of attempts and wasn't able to quit scum to before the fight, so I spent another 45 minutes after sitting through the ending to get back to her and it looks like I just can't do it anyway.

Also, judging by how everyone is completely naked (barbie doll style) in the true(?) ending for pretty much no reason I was right about the extreme skew toward female characters being a fetish thing.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
That's a shame. I have a Star Wars itch that all the Star Wars content lately has just not been scratching.
It's funny 'cause my very small Star Wars itch has been met with the Jedi games. I really like them! But I have zero interest in Ashoka.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I been playing various things: Streets of Rage 4 again, I did a few runs of Final Vendetta, and trying to get back into SIFU. I didn't get a chance to play Bomb Rush last night due to sleeping over half the night and needing to go to bed.

BTW @Old_Hunter_77, you got a chance to play Streets of Rage 4 yet? There is couch co-op, if your wife or any your friends are interested. You can go up to four players.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I restarted Cyberpunk 2077 since the 2.0 and Phantom liberty expansion. Overall it looks glorious. I only ran into 1 actual bug early in the game, but it was easily fixed by just restarting my checkpoint. It's still stutters sometimes when switching from menus to complex landscapes, but I wouldn't say it breaks my immersion. No texture popin or issues like that anymore.

As per my usual OCD, instead of actually playing the storyline, I instead completely ignored it once the city opens up and have just been speed running side missions to unlock all the netrunner perks so I could get the suicide hack. I get way to high off mercing people without them actually seeing me. I think I might be a sociopath. I did notice they made it a "little" harder to cheese, but Ive yet to find myself in any danger.