What are you currently playing?

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Been playing Everspace 2. Noticed it was on Gamepass and thought - they this looks like a more fleshed out version of the Starfield spaceship parts! It is in some ways, but in other ways not really. It's kinda like spaceship combat Diablo. Though only in terms of the randomized loot.

It's fun for a while and there's some linear story thing going on. Lots of randomized encounters for you to piss about in, which are similar to Bethesda's radiant quests. Spaceship customization isn't that interesting - you buy a ship of a certain class and just equip parts that alter parameters and swap out weapons. Basically the ship is the 'class', and the rest is just 'gear'. You can't really rip out its bits and change it dramatically.

It's just an okay game and I'm not sure if I want to finish it. Some of the mission design is fairly obnoxious. Go here, find the thing. Oh no, there's something blocking it. You better find a way to get past it! Which involves flying around aimlessly in 0G 360 degrees on a scavenger hunt to shoot a button, find a thing to insert into a slot, find a thing to insert into a slot with a time limit.... this is more obnoxious than Starfield's lockpicking.

The space combat is serviceable but kinda nyeh. It doesn't really do full on flight controls like in Ace Combat, you can kinda do a bit of wobbly on screen aiming and shoot off center of your ship. Only by aiming way off center does your ship turn towards the crosshair. Which makes trying to play it like I would a flight sim a bit awkward. There might be a way to jig the controls to make it more flight-simmy but I'm not sure if I want to play it like that anyway. Seems easier to just mouse aim.

I feel like it would've been better as a shorter tighter experience, but it's kinda that shorter tighter experience that has a lot of random generation and tiered progression jammed in to pad it the fuck out.
Yes this was largely my experience as well. I wasn't even aware of the Diablo comparisons when I started. I actually enjoyed it a lot for a while- loved the combat and the flying and just how the game looks. I don't really care about customization much so, it was fine for me I guess.
But then it wore on me. I had decided to just finish the main quest at some point... which is when the game read my mind and kept throwing irritating obstacles in my way and I gave up. I'm pretty sure I made very close to the end and then it's like, now go find all this crap all over the galaxy, which included random drops. Coupled with constantly spawning enemies and it was just... nah, f*** that.

So I would suggest at least play until you unlock all of the regions and do some of the missions where you fly into caves and such, those are cool. And taking down bases, that was hella fun.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Finished Phoenix Wright: Justice for all. I enjoyed it a lot more than when I first played part of it as my introduction to the series around 15 years ago. The completely ludicrous system of justice really put me off back then in addition to Franziska literally whipping people in a court of law... with a whip. Also, I'm sure the first case involving Phoenix doing the trial after receiving a head injury so substantial as to cause complete amnesia didn't help my introduction. Having played the first game twice at this point, which starts off much more reasonably, I had gradually gotten used to how insane this world is.

The game is extremely similar to the first one, but it's still fun. Hearing lawyers yell OBJECTION at the top of their lungs as the dramatic music kicks in is something that never gets old. Think I'll have to see if I can get the third game too so I can finish off the trilogy.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Farcry 3. Never played any Farcry before, just playing #3 because its so prominent in Ye Gamer Discourse.

Seems pretty good so far. Some nice new (-ish, for the time) mechanics, like letting predators out of cages. The radio tours can fuck off.

Not really seeing the allure of Vaas as a character. So far he just seems like a pompous bellend. This guy is one of the best villains in the medium...? Nope, not seeing that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Farcry 3. Never played any Farcry before, just playing it because its so prominent in Ye Gamer Discourse.

Seems pretty good so far. Some nice new (-ish, for the time) mechanics, like letting predators out of cages. The radio tours can fuck off.
As far as main line entries go, this is considered the best one. Far Cry 3 is just a better version of 2 but easier and not as tedious.

Not really seeing the allure of Vaas as a character. So far he just seems like a pompous bellend. This guy is one of the best villains in the medium...? Nope, not seeing that.
Vaas reeks of "this is my first serious/'mature' villain energy for teenage gamers and 20s something people. Or if Andrew Ryan wasn't enough for them, or certain gamers thinking the villain was "too smart" for them. Vaas is fine, but it's mainly his voice actor and motion caption actor that does all the heavy lifting. But yeah, there are plenty of villains better than him and single player FPS games or any story focused games in general. Vaas is just a Latino version of Joker with a pirate hat.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Cocoon

Played the whole thing over the weekend and I am please to offer my most highest recommendation for what is at the moment my GOTY.

Folks, I needed this game. Before Friday I didn't touch my Playstation for a couple of weeks, not having the give-a-shit to deal with Armored Core's seizure enducing gameplay, Baldur's Gate 3's Excel spreadsheet busy work, or Street Fighter 6's thumb-breaking advanced mechanics. These are great beloved games that I just can't even with personally. My heart was crying out for simplicity, dare I say purity.

The marketing for Cocoon crowed about it being "from the makers of Limbo and Inside" and I like those games, but was kind of weary of the schtick half-way through Inside already. The early reviews for Cocoon intrigued me by talking about the game not having any dialogue at all (not even text) and only one interaction button. Plus it's colorful and cute (one of the reasons I got tired of Inside and Little Nightmares is squinting at the darkness).

Cocoon is "video game" distilled to its bare necessities and it is all the more glorious for it. You are a bug-like creature and you go around figuring out how to get from place to place. Yes they are "puzzles" but they don't feel like puzzles so much to me. I tend to stay away from puzzle games because I often don't know if I get stuck because I can't figure out the solution, or the solution is unfair, or it requires mechanical dexterity that I am failing at, and being stuck between those three disparate trains of thought is an unpleasant and frustrating experience.

Cocoon avoids that by imbuing its micro-level and macro-world design with great intensity and focus, and offering almost no manual dexterity gameplay challenges. In fact, in the rare instances where the latter does come up, I got angry because it was so out of step with the rest of the game. But that was literally 2x so I got over myself.

I think this game is not for everybody. Many games are praised for allowing the player to solve problems their own way, or have multiple solutions. Cocoon has one solution for every problem- it forces you to meet the world on its terms, not yours. Of course this only works if the world design is absolutely brilliant which it is. The perfect combination of visual simplicity and recursive complexity as you progress results in a feeling of absolute delight as you solve each little puzzle. If you're the type of player that likes to "break" things and work around solutions, then you will not get that here. This is a game for those of us that like to be wowed and impressed.

Some games get traction by people sharing their own stories. Baldur's Gate 3 is of course the king of this right now- I used this, I figured it out that way, etc. Cocoon isn't that- your play-through will be the same as mine. It just feels pretty ballsy to me now to put out a game that will succeed if the story people tell each other is "I played it and it was good" the end.

The other reason it might not be for everyone is that it's rather easy, I think. So if you're a puzzle game veteran you'll blow through this game in 3 hours. I am not so I didn't.

The key gimmick is that the game world is really like 5 sort of connected worlds or dimensions, and you can literally carry those worlds around as a ball and also use the ball to unlock stuff. Of course the game builds on that starting you in just one world but after a couple of hours you'll find yourself thinking like "well if I have the white ball firing pellets into the orange world which has the black diamond, do I hold it from the left side in the purple world, let's try that.. oh damn I left the green world in the white world lemme go get that first" and such.

Now if that sounds kind of insane, the way the game mitigates this is by sort of railroading you. Areas lock behind you, jumping platforms are one-way only, so everything you need is always within reach. And without any bullshit obfuscation techniques like cryptic verbal messages, blurry special effects or absence of light, you have only your brain, eyes, and faith in the game design. I was never like "oh no do I screw myself out of a solution because I have to go back to the beginning for an hour" or whatever.

There are even boss fights, but those are just faster puzzles, really, and they are delightful.

My love for this game largely revolves around what it lacks:
- Menus
- Inventories
- Talking (now, I do love my cut scenes in cinematics in Sony/AssCreed/etc games, but this isn't that). I mean none of that NES/PC era text scrolling across telling you about a great evil blah blah... because..
- Nostalgia. It's indy and cute but has nothing to do with Zelda or Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy or even Limbo (other than the vague "you're in a cool but weird and a little creepy world"). It's its own thing.
- Tutorials. I mean it's just direction and interaction, why you need a tutorial lol
- Jumping
This last one is extraordinary to me. Like every game has some sort of jumping so the first thing I do when encountering an obstacle is to jump at it. If there's a puzzle solution that requires transporting your character you have to figure out if you gotta jump and when and where exactly and did you jump right or I am even supposed to be jumping and this game doesn't have time for that noise.

Playing this game, I giggled and gasped in delight like a child. I think maybe one reason for all this indy nostalgia stuff is people wanna feel like kids again but that stuff just makes me feel old. Cocoon made me feel like I imagine I must have when I played Space Panic on Coleco Vision or A Link to the Past on SNES.

I should say I'm in a bit of a minimalist/purist groove in all my art/media appreciation and consumption and man did this game hit my right where I'm at. Absolutely lovely experience and if you're thinking about it, do it.

When some walkthroughs or guides come out, I will replay it in order to get all the optional collectibles (there are only a few and found some but not all) and also to just appreciate how the whole game works now that I discovered its secrets on my own, both for platinum and to just revel in its beauty.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
You get some insight into him that might change your view of him (YMMV, of course). Honestly, when he died I lost all interest in proceeding, because I just couldn't find it in myself to continue the story of someone who says "killing feels like winning".

Reactions: BrawlMan

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Vaas is fine, but it's mainly his voice actor and motion caption actor that does all the heavy lifting.
I was about to say that, but not in a derogatory way. His delivery is always hilarious, and as far as I'm concerned that made it. It was always a joy to have a cutscene with him - just like any scene with Nacho Varga was a joy in Better Call Saul.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Finished off the Borderland 3 DLCs.

Some were definitely better than others (Bounty of Blood/Fustercluck > Tentacles/Jackpot), but overall, the DLC experience was much superior than just playing the main plot. Its a good thing that the character creation screen just lets you skip the prologue, and allows you to just jump straight into these, as well.

A decent time all around.

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
Tried a bit of Scorn recently, like only a taste of the opening parts. Not enough to get to the actual gameplay yet, so an extremely brief first impression here. One thing did stand out I hadn't anticipated though: where the fuck is the atmospheric ambience and score? You can't have visuals n environments like that without supplying the bare minimum of a throbbing dread bass and clear unsettling omnipresent background machination noise, you just can't. It's immoral negligence of the genre's strengths goddamn it! The audio sounds kinda low quality too, unless it's my own hardware falling apart. Perhaps it improves further on, though I wasn't feeling particularly engaged or threatened enough to find out...these ears are hungry for meaty industrial horror and you have been found wanting, Scorn.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Grabbed the dlc for Ion Fury, Aftershock. Really good, but it also throws you into it right from the start. The there are alternative versions of some existing enemies that are annoying, especially the gas grenade guys, also there are a ton of grenade guys at the hard difficulty. But the new ammo types are fun, like the minibomb shotgun spread. There are also a lot of great new use items that are much much more powerful then the use items in the normal game. There is a golden chip that acts like the tome of power from heretic where it changes up how all your guns fire and makes them much more powerful, there is a slow motion drink, and a lot more, there is even a portable chair. So yeah, its pretty damn good.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
In 10 hours I have reached Dathomir and officially surpassed my progress on the PS4 version of Fallen Order. Now that I have more or less unlocked all abilities, I am enjoying it significantly more.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I've played roughly the first 2 hours of Outer Worlds. It's perfectly fine, and the writing's actually really good as you'd expect from Obsidian. There's also plenty of details and opportunities for roleplaying. But I can already see why this game came and went like a fart in the Sahara: It's one of those games that keeps reminding me of other games, feeling like a mashup of several things without a distinct identity of its own. The retro-future aesthetic reminds me of Fallout and Bioshock, the space western vibes, soundtrack and enemy designs remind me of Borderlands, and the visuals remind me of No Man's Sky, which I haven't even played.

I feel the need to draw attention to the visuals specifically, because there's just something off about them, which I haven't fully been able to articulate yet. I can point to at least three factors that just give the game a sort of artificial, stagey feel that prevent me from getting fully immersed:
  1. Everything is way overlit. There is basically no functional difference between night and day in terms of lighting conditions, and even in underground caverns you can see everything clearly. There's next to no sense of shadows or light contrasts, everything's illuminated pretty evenly. Which rather detracts from the satisfaction of playing a stealth-focused character I'm aiming for, as I don't really get a feel of skulking in the shadows.
  2. The color contrast. It's hard to notice at first because you're mostly outdoors, but indoors the color contrast and saturation is turned up so high that it almost resembles Michael Bay movies. Everything also has either a reddish, orangish or magenta-ish hue, which further heightens the stagey feel. Am I making sense at all?
  3. The visual design is just... bland. So far everything looks monumentally bog-standard from the locations to the weapons to the enemies to the assets. Funnily enough for a game that reminds me of other things, things just sort of blend together into a homogenous, sci-fi visual design 101 blob, but also thanks to the extreme color contrast. When everything is so bright and overlit, important things don't really stand out either. This is best illustrated by when the game told me I'd unlocked a vending machine, and I actually spent a couple of minutes looking for the thing that was right next to me, because it looked nigh identical to the dozen different crates and boxes surrounding it.
It's also got the deadest NPC eyes I've seen in quite a while. Every NPC has lifeless, ligthless eyes like those of a corpse, which was forgivable in New Vegas, but Outer Worlds came out in 2019. We'd seen games like The Last of Us, The Witcher 3 and God of War 2018 by then. This game has no excuse.

Still gonna keep playing though, I feel like I'm getting into a groove with it now that I can headshot weaker enemies from stealth.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So, Ion Fury Aftershock.... Well, the normal gameplay is still good, but they added this hover bike that I kinda hate. Its too powerful not to use, but it controls awkwardly unless moving at full speed and its weapons, while powerful, are boring since they are homing explosive lightning balls, so its really just point a direction and fire a few times to kill most things. Which sounds good and it is, but its just boring. If you only used the hoverbike for a few levels it would be fine, but it really over stays its welcome.

Ended up installing and playing Dark Tide again since the 2.0 patch released and the new talent trees are pretty fun, plus they have added a pretty good amount since I stopped playing, which was about a month after release for me.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Making of Karateka - Comes with a documentary, a remake of Karateka, it's various versions, prototypes, and remake of a cancelled game Deathbounce that's a twin stick shooter. Digital Eclipse did another great job. They are nailing it with these ports, remasters, or remakes of old games. This game is pretty much the first beat'em up ever made. A classic, fun, game with a solid remake included.

I got Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, but I am saving that for tomorrow.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Farcry 3. Never played any Farcry before, just playing #3 because its so prominent in Ye Gamer Discourse.

I think some of the allure of Vaas, is he comes off much better by comparison. With whom? Well, a lot of folks really. Some of them are spoilers for FC3, so I won't mention it here yet. But also, the whole trope of "villain periodically shows up to talk crap and make you hate him more" was really hitting its stride when FC3 came out. I enjoyed Vaas' antagonism mostly because they weren't trying to do a Handsom Jack rug-pull with comedy masking the malice. And they weren't trying to backdoor humanize him to garner some sympathy for either a face turn or a bigger rug-pull later. Vaas is exactly as bad and insane as he's portrayed throughout. He is credibly dangerous, visibly unstable, and you never need any more motivation to kill him than they give you right away.

With Jack, Borderlands 2 did the same thing but kept trying to "one up" the motivation. "Oh, he just threatens you while eating pretzels. Oh he's cute, he brags about being rich enough to buy a diamond pony and name it Buttstallion." But then every hour or so you find out about some atrocity he's committed, "oh he's funny but you have to take him seriously." But the saddest thing about that story is, just like Vaas, they tell you exactly who he is right away. But with Jack, they keep trying to "up" the motivation. Oh, he (reveal about Angel,) oh, he (major character death,) oh, he (strangles random lackey for no particular reason.) And yes, that's bad. But all I needed was the reveal when they played the audio log of Helena Pierce's death, and I was as motivated as I would ever be to take him down. He could have bowed out entirely from that point until the final boss battle and the game wouldn't have changed a bit.

In a way, as a contrast to that Vaas was refreshingly straightforward. With Jack it was "yadda yadda snark, yadda yadda malice, yadda yadda atrocity... can I just kill him now?" While with Vaas I was always interested in what would happen the next time I heard from him. Now, there's one HUGE reason why in general (and in the face of everything I've said already) Jack is a better villain than Vaas. Unfortunately, that's tied in with a spoiler. But I think "by comparison" is a decent reason why Vaas is in the "villain Mt. Rushmore" conversation. In the conversation mind you, not on the mountain.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In a way, as a contrast to that Vaas was refreshingly straightforward. With Jack it was "yadda yadda snark, yadda yadda malice, yadda yadda atrocity... can I just kill him now?" While with Vaas I was always interested in what would happen the next time I heard from him. Now, there's one HUGE reason why in general (and in the face of everything I've said already) Jack is a better villain than Vaas. Unfortunately, that's tied in with a spoiler. But I think "by comparison" is a decent reason why Vaas is in the "villain Mt. Rushmore" conversation. In the conversation mind you, not on the mountain.
Honestly, I consider Vaas a better villain than Handsome Jack. Jack didn't annoy me, but I felt similar to Vaas, it was the memes from fans of the franchise that go head over heels for the guy. As you pointed out, the man got very repetitive. I can think plenty of better villains from the 7th generation of consoles better than Handsome Jack.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
So yeah, after reading some good feedback about the game’s state and some intriguing missions lately, I took a break from MK11 and reinstalled Cyberpunk: 2077. I’d played at launch and it ran pretty well, until I got onto street level of Night City and then all bets were off. I knew my GPU could handle it, even though it’s only a GTX model, but the lower memory and access speed issues coupled with the game being notoriously buggy meant shitting the bed an inevitability.

Now though *knocks on wood*, it appears those issues have been resolved as I’ve been stomping and cruising around a good chunk of this rather wonderfully realized futuristic setting very smoothly, and have gotten far enough for it to dig its hooks in a bit. I really didn’t want to start this again, knowing I still have probably over half of The Witcher 3 left to finish but eh you know what, I’m having more fun with this. The game oozes atmospheric details both visually and audibly, where it makes certain missions feel appropriately tense and unsettling where it matters. I’m usually out off by games with skill trees and upgrade stuff but here it feels more thematically appropriate. There’s a level of care to the details that draws me into this world, and so far being in it feels more like it was probably meant to.

I’m going in as blind and organically as possible, other than some mild save scumming before special item hacks and such. Started as a Nomad like before with a weapons focus, but also plan to dabble more heavily in hacking stuff. I’ve played so many other games as straight shooters as well as melee stuff, so that will probably take a back seat in this for when shit goes south. There’s so much other gear that’s too cool to ignore.

Reactions: Zykon TheLich

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Platinum complete for Cocoon. Turns out there’s a menu from which you can load at any checkpoint so with a handy youtube video i was able to clean up the remaining collectibles in 20 minutes, which just revealed a few more nice little areas. Yet another way in which this game just focuses on the good stuff.

Here is the game designer speaking directly to my heart about "good" puzzles don't have to be hard:

Last night on Breakout podcast stream Marty was describing the game as "elegant" and making jokes about raising your pinky when you drink tea etc and I guess that's kind of where I'm at? I've been listening to and reading about classical music and amusing myself with parallels between composition style and video game design. Cocoon is Bach's non-vocal work.