Conflict between Palestine and Israel escalates

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
I just feel bad for all the non-combantants and civilians who are caught in this mess. Imagine living in a place like this and all the sounds of war, explosions, and deaths have become such a regular part of your life

I also hate seeing Jerusalem being constantly in a state of conflict. Like, the whole debate over who's the rightful owner aside, do they really want to see their holy land destroyed like this? Do they not care about preserving the artifacts and historic sites?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I also hate seeing Jerusalem being constantly in a state of conflict. Like, the whole debate over who's the rightful owner aside, do they really want to see their holy land destroyed like this? Do they not care about preserving the artifacts and historic sites?
Those who have come to power have come to power in a state of endless war. Few people want to change the system that put them in power.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Those who have come to power have come to power in a state of endless war. Few people want to change the system that put them in power.
Okay, yeah they are probably addicted to power, but you would think deep down there's at least some part of them that wants to protect the city that represents them. Besides, wouldn't showing some form of effort of preservation and restoration of all the historic stuff gain them more support?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Besides, wouldn't showing some form of effort of preservation and restoration of all the historic stuff gain them more support?
No, not really.

Partly because a lot of the actual archeology does contradict what the hardliner say about Jerusalems glorious distant past, partly because the various holy sites share physical locations and to restore one would mean demolishing the other.

But that whole conflict is not primarily about religion. It is about peoples and their land. That is why most muslims don't care about it even remotely as much as the palestinensias do. For them it is their country. For other muslims it is not.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Okay, yeah they are probably addicted to power, but you would think deep down there's at least some part of them that wants to protect the city that represents them. Besides, wouldn't showing some form of effort of preservation and restoration of all the historic stuff gain them more support?
You would think so, but those in power have an attitude between "not my problem; somebody else will take care of it" and....

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Okay, yeah they are probably addicted to power, but you would think deep down there's at least some part of them that wants to protect the city that represents them.
Evidently not, or they've told themselves that keeping themselves in power is the best way to protect it.

Besides, wouldn't showing some form of effort of preservation and restoration of all the historic stuff gain them more support?
Proper preservation and restoration of historical things, or anything, really, is usually a long, boring and convoluted process if done well. Promises of quick, drastic action against a real or imagined treat, and excuses for when things don't improve, often that's the way to do it. People don't want real solutions that require effort, as a rule.

Now, it makes logical sense that they'd want to be good rules, and that the people they rule would want them to be, but unfortunately, the weight of history is against that logic.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Sympathy, think of all the monuments in America and Britain that got taken down during and after Covid in far FAR more comfortable conditions and without an active war on everyone's front door. They just aren't important when people have survival on their minds. Heck, I believe Hadrian's wall is missing a lot of stones, not from degradation, but because people living near it would just take them to help with building homes because it was convenient and it was just a wall. Historical preservation is usually only a consideration for those in a position of both power and safety.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Heck, I believe Hadrian's wall is missing a lot of stones, not from degradation, but because people living near it would just take them to help with building homes because it was convenient and it was just a wall. Historical preservation is usually only a consideration for those in a position of both power and safety.
Also why the pyramids are missing their limestone facings near the bases, happened all over.

I'd also note that Mussolini would destroy real ancient Roman stuff to make room for his ideas of new ancient Rome. In England, during the Victorian period they'd make fake ancient ruins. And also if ancient structures were too intact they'd damage them to make them look properly old and ruined.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Also why the pyramids are missing their limestone facings near the bases, happened all over.

I'd also note that Mussolini would destroy real ancient Roman stuff to make room for his ideas of new ancient Rome. In England, during the Victorian period they'd make fake ancient ruins. And also if ancient structures were too intact they'd damage them to make them look properly old and ruined.
I burst out laughing at this ridiculousness of this.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So looks like Israel has declared the Palestinians to be "animals" and they've cut out all power, fuel and food, and are planning a massive ground invasion into Gaza, vowing not justice but revenge that in the direct words of Netanyahu will "echo for generations".
I feel like I remember hearing about a time when a modern military stormed into an ethnic ghettos and started annihilating the "animals" there. I can't quiet put my finger on it, but I remember it being like really bad and not something humanity wanted to repeat.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
"This land proves that God loves me more than you" is a powerful argument to a lot of people.

Me personally, I think that any God who cares more about dirt than people is a God who can go to hell.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
So looks like Israel has declared the Palestinians to be "animals" and they've cut out all power, fuel and food, and are planning a massive ground invasion into Gaza, vowing not justice but revenge that in the direct words of Netanyahu will "echo for generations".
I feel like I remember hearing about a time when a modern military stormed into an ethnic ghettos and started annihilating the "animals" there. I can't quiet put my finger on it, but I remember it being like really bad and not something humanity wanted to repeat.
Unfortunately we are only a minority who want cooler heads to prevail in a decade where the true nature of mankind has been revealed and now we Re living in the dystopia Genocidal Organ envisioned

Reactions: Kwak

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Don't mind the kid, he's referring to the fact that I critique the "wokism panic" that makes specific changes such as gender or color swapping such a huge deal in the conservative echo chambers of internet (an underlying double standards that treats any adaptation/transpositions as total betrayal if some keywords are at stake). As I lumped him with the other constant feeders of fabricated outrage in the ridiculous "woke" thread, he's trying to frame it as an assault on the very idea or narrative continuity or something.

(For those of you who want to see what he's ranting about.)

No, the category is "fears", not "murder". You've not grasped the analogy.

Let me try again, laying out every step.

So. Someone says, "Out of ebola, meningitis, and cancer, only one of them is a problem, and the first two guesses don't count".

((That's analogous to your original position. One is worse than the others on a global scale. But the person has chosen instead to dismiss the idea that the others are even problems)).
Your analogy doesn't even work, all three of those diseases are global. Of Islamic, Christian, and Jewish terrorism, only the first is truly global, the second is global only if you pull a "technically," and the third is pretty much non-existent outside Israel.

Someone else replies, "the other two are still severe problems. They still cause enormous suffering for many thousands of people".

((That's analogous to my position. The severity of the worst one doesn't somehow make the other two no longer be problems)).

The first speaker responds, "Why are you equivocating cancer with meningitis? One is much worse!"

((And there's the analogy for your reply: insisting that even rcognising the other two as problems is somehow automatically drawing an equivalence in scale or severity)).
Actually, I've repeatedly stated that Christian and Jewish terrorism are problems. I've never stated that they're not. But in a thread that was rekindled because of Islamic terrorism, getting caught up about Christian and Jewish terrorism is a borderline whataboutism.

Now, Absent can decry "Islamophobia" all he wants and use it as a strawman, but here are the facts. One: Hamas is an Islamic terrorist organization. You can be the biggest supporter of Palestine, you can loathe Israel with all your heart, you could be the biggest Islamophile on the face of the planet, this doesn't change. Even if you replace "terrorist" with "freedom fighter," they're still Islamic. To somehow claim that they're not would be beyond absurd.

Fact Two: Islamic terrorism is grossly disproportionate in the amount of harm it causes. This is a statistical fact. The majority of religious terrorism in the world is Islamic (something like 90%). The majority of deaths from terrorism (around 75%) in 2015 were Islamic. However you feel about the LRA, or the IRA, or the KKK, or whatever Christian terrorist group you can come up with, they've never succeeded in taking a country/parts of a country like ISIS or the Taliban. There's simply no comparison.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
My literal hope for this conflict despite my hate-filled comments on Tik Tok, Youtube, and X/Twitter is that the Israelis stop at the exact number of people the Islamic Jihad, and Hamas have killed. And then restore electricity, food, and water, and stop the bombing. But it is geopolitics so I know Bibi will want several times the number of people that Hamas killed, and maybe for Gaza to be the next Haiti.

The real thing I am ticked off by is the left. They are out there celebrating the death, rape, and hostage-taking by Hamas in rallies across the world. DSA is doing it, CAIR is doing it. They are making the American left look like lunatics. How the fuck is the left supposed to gain any creditability in the Western world when they are out celebrating the death, and rape of random German women who had nothing to do with Bibi's policies.

Americans, and to a lesser extent the Anglo world likely think the DSA, tankies, etc are monsters that want to rape their wives, and murder or kidnap their children in the revolution. And I feel like they are kind of right. The plurality to the majority of the left is already beginning to look like Nazis for basically backing Islamic fascists across the world.

At this point, almost every left-wing policy priority is DOA or dead on arrival. And no when I post emotional tirades on Tik Tok doesn't equal whole orgs backing Hamas in rallies across the world, and flashing Nazi images at journalists.

Reactions: Hawki

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Actually, I've repeatedly stated that Christian and Jewish terrorism are problems. I've never stated that they're not.
? All you've done is say we needn't worry about them, and then argued with me endlessly when I said they were problems.

Whatever, I don't want this to drag the thread off topic any more. Shouldn't have taken part in the derailment to begin with, it's half on me.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
My literal hope for this conflict despite my hate-filled comments on Tik Tok, Youtube, and X/Twitter is that the Israelis stop at the exact number of people the Islamic Jihad, and Hamas have killed. And then restore electricity, food, and water, and stop the bombing. But it is geopolitics so I know Bibi will want several times the number of people that Hamas killed, and maybe for Gaza to be the next Haiti.

The real thing I am ticked off by is the left. They are out there celebrating the death, rape, and hostage-taking by Hamas in rallies across the world. DSA is doing it, CAIR is doing it. They are making the American left look like lunatics. How the fuck is the left supposed to gain any creditability in the Western world when they are out celebrating the death, and rape of random German women who had nothing to do with Bibi's policies.

Americans, and to a lesser extent the Anglo world likely think the DSA, tankies, etc are monsters that want to rape their wives, and murder or kidnap their children in the revolution. And I feel like they are kind of right. The plurality to the majority of the left is already beginning to look like Nazis for basically backing Islamic fascists across the world.

At this point, almost every left-wing policy priority is DOA or dead on arrival. And no when I post emotional tirades on Tik Tok doesn't equal whole orgs backing Hamas in rallies across the world, and flashing Nazi images at journalists.
This ends with the Israelis telling the world to look away for the next 48hours and don't bother listening to all the screams and explosions, they're just..."fixing the problem".
And I wouldn't call the Center of America/Islamic relationships a liberal organization. Not with their own ties to Hamas and middle east regimes.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020

Because they are anti establishment against above all, to them. This is what Israel had coming for endorsing such policies.

Or should the Palestinians imitate South America during the cold war, letting themselves be beaten down and laying down?

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Please do not insult your fellow forum users

(For those of you who want to see what he's ranting about.)

Your analogy doesn't even work, all three of those diseases are global. Of Islamic, Christian, and Jewish terrorism, only the first is truly global, the second is global only if you pull a "technically," and the third is pretty much non-existent outside Israel.

Actually, I've repeatedly stated that Christian and Jewish terrorism are problems. I've never stated that they're not. But in a thread that was rekindled because of Islamic terrorism, getting caught up about Christian and Jewish terrorism is a borderline whataboutism.

Now, Absent can decry "Islamophobia" all he wants and use it as a strawman, but here are the facts. One: Hamas is an Islamic terrorist organization. You can be the biggest supporter of Palestine, you can loathe Israel with all your heart, you could be the biggest Islamophile on the face of the planet, this doesn't change. Even if you replace "terrorist" with "freedom fighter," they're still Islamic. To somehow claim that they're not would be beyond absurd.

Fact Two: Islamic terrorism is grossly disproportionate in the amount of harm it causes. This is a statistical fact. The majority of religious terrorism in the world is Islamic (something like 90%). The majority of deaths from terrorism (around 75%) in 2015 were Islamic. However you feel about the LRA, or the IRA, or the KKK, or whatever Christian terrorist group you can come up with, they've never succeeded in taking a country/parts of a country like ISIS or the Taliban. There's simply no comparison.
Aaaaand your little nerdy brain still cannot process that this is not a "religious" issue. Palestinians can be perpetually driven from their homes, shot, bombed, denied civil rights by a ultraconservative, racist colonial regime, their counter-violence is just a wacky jihad thingy haha those muslims they only think about religion until they're carpet bombed to submission. Also "the muslims", that is the planet's 2 billion homogeneous hive mind of religious fundamentalists that haven't beheaded you yet but solely because you run fast.

Go back to your little world of star wars fanfictions, and stop assuming that your comic book logic equips you to grasp anything about the real world's history, cultures or geopolitical realities.