General Gaming News.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Paradox Interactive's latest release from Harebrained Schemes, The Lamplighters' League, is apparently a "painful fiasko" according to their CEO.
A pity, considering it is supposedly not bad.

But i didn't buy it either even though i really enjoyed the SR games. I have basically zero interest in Pulp.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Paradox Interactive's latest release from Harebrained Schemes, The Lamplighters' League, is apparently a "painful fiasko" according to their CEO.

(I find it more interesting that this piece of news was significant enough to bring up in what is probably the largest newspaper in Sweden)
I didn't hear anything negative about the game, actually I mostly didn't hear anything about the game outside of having a few add for it on youtube so I'm guessing its just selling like shit.

Oh yeah looking around it barely sold, apparently had something like 300 concurrent player despite coming out this week. Kinda they're fault for releasing it in a super busy window, why do company keep doing that? Don't they understand people have limited amount of time?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
So apparently Square Enix is struggling financially in part because Marvel Avengers and Forspoken were such flops, and FF16 not doing well enough to compensate for that. So in essence the corporate bullshit are being a ball and chain around the company while the actual stuff with passion behind it is what's bringing in the money.

And with Marvel especially I'm really curious what's going through the head of the soulless executives. Do they understand they threw away a winning hand in Marvel by burdening the IP with long discredited design philosophies? Or are they utterly confused about why it failed despite them doing every single thing they were ''supposed'' to do under the AAA system?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So apparently Square Enix is struggling financially in part because Marvel Avengers and Forspoken were such flops, and FF16 not doing well enough to compensate for that. So in essence the corporate bullshit are being a ball and chain around the company while the actual stuff with passion behind it is what's bringing in the money.

And with Marvel especially I'm really curious what's going through the head of the soulless executives. Do they understand they threw away a winning hand in Marvel by burdening the IP with long discredited design philosophies? Or are they utterly confused about why it failed despite them doing every single thing they were ''supposed'' to do under the AAA system?

Saddening, but I do not feel bad for any of the solace executives at the top. Here's hoping FF7 Rebirth and that bubble shooter game help bring profits up. My heart just go out to the people that actually trying to do good in our passionate within the company. The people doing the actual hard work.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

This is Square's fundamental problem.

They keep trying to make Final Fantasy into something they are not. They are so focused on evolving the series that they are ignoring the things that made the series good in the first fucking place. FF16 is a bad game, in all aspects it's fucking bad. It works and it's pretty, but it isn't fun, the story makes no fucking sense, and it has nothing that makes FF games so memorable and fun.

Which I hope is a lesson they learn from the FF7 Remake project. Because people are loving it, and why is that? It's not just because it's FF7. It's because it feels like a modern FF game that people have wanted since fucking 13.

Take a look at the Remake, it's got an action based combat system on the surface, but it's core is still a turn based ATB system with a HUGE variety of customization potential. Not to mention it has a great cast of characters that people really like that interact with each other as you play the game. Nobody in FF16 talks to each other. Controlling only Clive was a bad enough mistake, but then you have him always with people tagging along with you and they don't talk to each other. It's quiet and serious all the time. FF7 tells jokes, it puts characters in situations that are uncomfortable for them and watching them react to that is enjoyable and fun.

Rebirth has already been demo'ed and it's amazing. The game will be amazing because Square is making sure they don't fuck it up. What's crazy is that they do not seem willing to put that much care into their other flagships when they absolutely should.

Capcom is putting love into almost everything they release these days and it shows. Square has to shift focus and do the same thing.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
This is Square's fundamental problem.

They keep trying to make Final Fantasy into something they are not. They are so focused on evolving the series that they are ignoring the things that made the series good in the first fucking place. FF16 is a bad game, in all aspects it's fucking bad. It works and it's pretty, but it isn't fun, the story makes no fucking sense, and it has nothing that makes FF games so memorable and fun.

Which I hope is a lesson they learn from the FF7 Remake project. Because people are loving it, and why is that? It's not just because it's FF7. It's because it feels like a modern FF game that people have wanted since fucking 13.

Take a look at the Remake, it's got an action based combat system on the surface, but it's core is still a turn based ATB system with a HUGE variety of customization potential. Not to mention it has a great cast of characters that people really like that interact with each other as you play the game. Nobody in FF16 talks to each other. Controlling only Clive was a bad enough mistake, but then you have him always with people tagging along with you and they don't talk to each other. It's quiet and serious all the time. FF7 tells jokes, it puts characters in situations that are uncomfortable for them and watching them react to that is enjoyable and fun.

Rebirth has already been demo'ed and it's amazing. The game will be amazing because Square is making sure they don't fuck it up. What's crazy is that they do not seem willing to put that much care into their other flagships when they absolutely should.

Capcom is putting love into almost everything they release these days and it shows. Square has to shift focus and do the same thing.
Well FF16 seems to do good sale wise, but name a more iconic duo than square enix and "sales are not meeting expectation". I think they might be coming down with a mild dose of "blizzard after WoW", where 14 did good enough that they planned around it doing even better and printing money until the end of time without accounting for the fact that mmo are long pass their prime. So now they're stuck having to content the fact that they need to pump out game for cheaper rather than expect them to sell like crazy.

FF15 was release almost 8 years before 16, that's just as bad as the gap between 13 and 15. Assuming they were working on the next iteration during that time and its easy to see why games don't meet their expectation if they have to employ devs for such a long period. And if they're not working on the next iteration during that down time, why the fuck are they not using their most valuable IP to the fullest extend?!

Compare to that, the downtine between 7R and 7R2 is a blistering 4 year! Assuming that means less expensive development (especially since they must be re using asset) then that game can probably sell far less 16 and still turn a much nicer profit. But yeah, a return toward more root would be a no brainer in my mind, people play final fantasy game to play final fantasy game, trying to make them not final fantasy is ludicrous. Every prior FF failure (13/15) were disappointing not because they were final fantasy, they were disappointing because they were bad final fantasy. At least remaking 7 forced them to actually make an FF game (keeping the levity moment and even doubling down on some of them). There's some really strong rumor that they might be planning a 9 remake on the side, maybe current leadership really can't make a good FF game without copying what their pass self did.

As a last point, if its really doing badly I wouldn't be suprised if Sony tried to gobble it up to counter MS activision blizzard acquisition.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Compare to that, the downtine between 7R and 7R2 is a blistering 4 year
Only 3 years if you consider 7R got a Ps5 upgrade and a big DLC 1 year after the first launch. :D

It's incredibly fast and Square needs to take lessons in rapid game development as releasing a game very 9+ years is no good.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Squares output also isn't exclusively limited to mainline entry Final Fantasys either.

Like in the tim between 15 and 16 there was...

Live a Live (a remake), the PS and Switch Pixel Remasters, Octopath 2, Forspoken, the Crisis Core remake, a Dragonquedsy, SaGa, Tactics Ogre, Star Ocean, Nier Automata, Valkyrie Profile, the Diofeld Chronicle, Various Daylife, Voice of Cards, a Crono Cross re-release, Stranger of Paradise, Neo the World ends with You, Bravely Default 2

.... yeah I'm too lazy to go back all the way, that's still in 2022 for reference.

That FF has generally struggled trying to figure out WTF to do with its gameplay for years (mirroring the similar struggles CRPGs had when real time became more and more of a thing.... until they've looped back around now apparently) certainly is pretty uncontestable. More arguable is how long they've been stuck in a rut of unlikable characters and unfathomably dull and simultaneously over-complicated storylines. But they do seem to get their best results out of Bethesda'ing it up and just re-releasing the greatest hits.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Wasn't it Square Enix, who just recently wanted to pivot towards NFTs ?

That company has obviously been mismanaged for some time now. Would probably be better if they sell a couple of their IPs.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Squares output also isn't exclusively limited to mainline entry Final Fantasys either.

Like in the tim between 15 and 16 there was...

Live a Live (a remake), the PS and Switch Pixel Remasters, Octopath 2, Forspoken, the Crisis Core remake, a Dragonquedsy, SaGa, Tactics Ogre, Star Ocean, Nier Automata, Valkyrie Profile, the Diofeld Chronicle, Various Daylife, Voice of Cards, a Crono Cross re-release, Stranger of Paradise, Neo the World ends with You, Bravely Default 2

.... yeah I'm too lazy to go back all the way, that's still in 2022 for reference.

That FF has generally struggled trying to figure out WTF to do with its gameplay for years (mirroring the similar struggles CRPGs had when real time became more and more of a thing.... until they've looped back around now apparently) certainly is pretty uncontestable. More arguable is how long they've been stuck in a rut of unlikable characters and unfathomably dull and simultaneously over-complicated storylines. But they do seem to get their best results out of Bethesda'ing it up and just re-releasing the greatest hits.
Sure they do other stuff, but if those other stuff come at the expense of their mainline entry, then that's a big problem. In their golden year they were pumping out FF game every 3 year or so and no one complained (they were also putting out plenty of other game at the same time).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Would probably be better if they sell a couple of their IPs.
They already did that. Unless you mean they need to sell more of their IPs, and not just Western ones.

Even then, that wouldn't be enough. Also, Embracer has been doing a shitty job, and they have no idea what they're doing either.

Sure they do other stuff, but if those other stuff come at the expense of their mainline entry, then that's a big problem. In their golden year they were pumping out FF game every 3 year or so and no one complained (they were also putting out plenty of other game at the same time).
Square's main problem is that they always go over budget and try to justify everything. Graphics especially. It's been there since the PS1 era, and only got worse with times. Them getting putting other titles down/downplaying that are just as important, constantly using FF as crutch, fucking up most of their Western IPs, and horribly failing on chasing the NFT market was really the final nail in the coffin that managed to piss everyone off! No wonder they're in the shitter right now. This is the same company that was surprised Bravely Default (an old-school turn based style game) did well on 3DS. At a time when certain know-nothing-know-it-all journalists, gaming "celebrities", and certain gamers of course, still kept constantly and arrogantly shouting, "(J)RPGS are dead!/Japanese Gaming is dead!".

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Saddening, but I do not feel bad for any of the solace executives at the top. Here's hoping FF7 Rebirth and that bubble shooter game help bring profits up. My heart just go out to the people that actually trying to do good in our passionate within the company. The people doing the actual hard work.
Excuse me? Did you say.... Bubble Shooter Game? Like, say... Buster Bros.?