Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
1697741809759.png

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I bought a couple bottles of this stuff. One for me, and one for my fellow hot head buddy. It's hot sauce made with the newly-crowned hottest pepper in the world, Pepper X. Clocking in at +2.6M Scoville Heat Units (SHU), it's almost a 500,000 SHU hotter than the previous record holder, the Carolina Reaper.

Here's the video of the pepper's creator, Smokin' Ed Currie, receiving his Guinness World Record certificate AND eating a whole Pepper X.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
My old corkscrew disintegrated into a million pieces when I last used it, so I got myself a sommelier knife.

A stainless steel one with nice wooden handle. Perfect for the dirt cheap wine I just use for cooking.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
View attachment 9838

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I bought a couple bottles of this stuff. One for me, and one for my fellow hot head buddy. It's hot sauce made with the newly-crowned hottest pepper in the world, Pepper X. Clocking in at +2.6M Scoville Heat Units (SHU), it's almost a 500,000 SHU hotter than the previous record holder, the Carolina Reaper.

Here's the video of the pepper's creator, Smokin' Ed Currie, receiving his Guinness World Record certificate AND eating a whole Pepper X.

I bought a bottle of this a couple of years ago, the sauce itself clocks in at 1.2M scovilles. It was mainly used in work as a cure for boredom on a quiet shift. Just put a drop on a teaspoon and lick it. Many were persuaded to foolishly give it a try 😈

Enjoy your sauce.

Reactions: gorfias

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
A smartphone, since my current one is getting out of date, and a laptop, since I've thought so many times about getting one and this was a decent enough excuse.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
The app my medical insurance wants me to use in lieu of ID cards no longer runs on my phone. I might need to consider an upgrade myself.
Similar story here: BankID, which has become the de facto digital ID standard here, will cease to be supported for my current smartphone very soon.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The app my medical insurance wants me to use in lieu of ID cards no longer runs on my phone. I might need to consider an upgrade myself.
Me when using my own phone: "I will run this thing into the ground and only replace it if it breaks or runs out of ram to run vital applications.

Me when using company provided phone: "It must have the latest specs, an unlimited data plan, and be upgraded every two years or there's absolutely no way I'll be able to efficiently respond to emails."

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
New phone. Samsung A54. Mostly out of necessity since the one app I actually need will soon stop working on my old phone. Fuck this bullshit.
I too bought a phone, because I have a trip coming up and the top centimeter of my current phone's screen not working mighttt cause some trouble.

I think I've said this before on the forums, but it is shocking how affordable smartphones are these days. I wonder if they've adopted the console approach and make their money off software sales rather than hardware.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Bunch of games with Black Friday discounts:

Chants of Sennaar
Cult of the Lamb: Cultist Edition
Dredge
GrimGrimoire OnceMore
Mark of the Ninja: Remastered
The Last Faith
Unpacking

Renewed PS+ Essential for $41.24.

Also bought a new laptop, some scar cream and three margaritas.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Just like many of you, w/ Blac Friday discounts:

Samsung G7 2560x1440 monitor
Samsung 2 TB SSD
WD 1 TB HDD
And Xbox elite series 2 core controller

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
  • Across the Spider-Verse (Blu Ray/DVD) - $11.99. For those wanting good sales on movies, just go to Amazon. Don't even bother with Best Buy nor Target at this point. These movies they are still charging $20-27+.
  • Teenage Kraken (Blu Ray/DVD) - $9.99
  • Resident Evil 2 (GameCube) - You read that right. I found it at a RetroTaku and traded in a few GC and PS2 games to buy at an affordable price. I traded in Dead to Rights (GC), Super Mario Sunshine, and both Shinobi games on PS2. The trade was worth it. I was hoping they still had Resident Evil 3, but someone already beat me to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
PXL_20231126_175006365.NIGHT.jpg

Surprising even myself, I haven't bought a single digital black Friday deal. Theres been a few things that given me pause and flight of fantasy, but nothing I need right here right now that won't inevitably be cheaper later. Thats something weve learned the hard way over the last twenty years since the rise of digital stores. If its digital, ultimately it has only perceived value. Spider-Man 2 is $60 but given enough time itll barely rate a 5 pack in a humble bundle or maybe even free on some service.

That said, I was in Louisville ky this Thanksgiving and checked out a couple small business bf sales.

Through the decades is a local card and boardgame store. Its a large warehouse space, built for large tournaments, with walls lined with "the toys".

On black Friday at 10am they lay out maybe 20 banquet tables with games and toys up to 75% off and its a bit of a mad rush. Then all day the whole store is 20% off and the procedes go to employee Christmas bonuses. My cousin is hardcore into MTG cards so I took him down, and we scooped up some booster boxes. MTG sealed product is rarely discounted so it was a good opportunity to pick stuff up so I bought a few boxes, idk just to participate. I have some mtg booster boxes in my closet worth 5x what I paid for and some worth less than msrp. The mtg collection community is fickle like that.

Aside from that we happened by book & music exchange, another game shop again whole store 20% off

Im a retro game collector, but not the frothing at the mouth type. I collect some things I missed having when I was a kid ( I lost everything I owned when I was 12) and then I collect things I think are neat.

I bought Wonderboy in Monster land for Sega Master system. I happen to own a Krizz Mega SG and have always felt like I missed out on The Master System. Its like $40 less than ebay so I figured it would be neat to own. I actually almost bought The wonderboy collection on switch, its on sale atm, but I like the smell and touch of old carts.

Curse: The eye of isis is a resident evil clone with an indiana jones theme. It didn't make so much as a wet fart in the news when it came out so itll never get a proper port. The steam version is bug ridden. I like collecting survival horror games, even bad ones. At something like $40 cheaper than ebay I couldn't pass it up.

Lost Odyssey however is an actual escapist inspired purchase. Somebody did a video recently on how Microsoft tried to fund a few JRPGs on xbox360 to try and capture the jpn market, that ultimately flopped - Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon ( I already own The Last Remnant), so again owing to my penchant for collecting gaming misfit toys I picked up Lost Odyssey.

I suspect this flavor of Nostalgia collecting will be lost after my, newly minted, xennial generation, but regardless of whats available digitally I still find myself inescapably drawn towards the physical. That touch sense of memory capsule.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I bought well over $1,000 worth of stuff on the Black Friday sales, mainly speakers and a ton of blu-rays, and got like 3 shirts from TeeFury. I got a receiver years ago (like 2 or 3 or maybe even like 5 years) with some super cheap Polk speakers with the intent to get some better speakers down the road. And Crutchfield had all the Klipsch speakers I wanted on a good sale (basically 50% off), though buying speakers at normal retail price is kinda dumb so it's not really 50% off in essence but it's about as low as they'd sell for.

1701121356166.png

Then I bought a bunch of blu-rays from GRUV (that had an awesome sale, I paid like $5 for each blu-ray) and Amazon mainly.

-Blade
-The Rundown
-Executive Decision
-Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
-Barbie
-The Princess Bride
-I, Tonya
-Lost in Translation
-Paddington
-Paddington 2
-Matrix (I realized I never got this on blu-ray)
-Jaws
-The Thing
-Rumble in the Bronx
-Demolition Man/Over the Top/Tango & Cash (because it was cheaper to get Demolition Man this way and Tango & Cash is solid)
-The 40 Year-old Virgin
-Space Jam
-Parks and Recreation (Complete Series)
-Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Complete Series)
-American Psycho
-John Wick 4
-Peacemaker (Season 1)
-Top Gun Maverick
-Kiki's Delivery Service
-Lord of the Rings (Extended Editions)
-Christmas Vacation
-Guardians of the Galaxy 3
-Lethal Weapon (4-movie Collection)
-Extraction
-Extraction 2

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
A new phone, iPhone 14 plus.

The company I worked for provided a cell phone to me, and paid for the the mobile plan, but since I've been laid off I need to return that phone and get my own.

I wouldn't normally choose an iPhone. I used an iPhone for work and didn't like it very much, but I was able to get the iPhone 14 plus for almost free. The difference was paying sales tax for an IPhone 14, or paying $500+ for a phone I actually want, and being cheap definitely won out there.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Lost Odyssey however is an actual escapist inspired purchase. Somebody did a video recently on how Microsoft tried to fund a few JRPGs on xbox360 to try and capture the jpn market, that ultimately flopped - Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon ( I already own The Last Remnant), so again owing to my penchant for collecting gaming misfit toys I picked up Lost Odyssey.
Hope yours works then. Lost Odyssey has a common issue where disc 4 is borked and will consistently fail installation on a 360 at around the 25-30% mark (or freeze at a certain point if playing, making progress impossible). It is however fully playable on Xbox One or Series X since you only need disc 1 as an authenticator to download the bc version.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
A special edition of the Journal of Cornish Archaeology, a 250 page final report into the excavation of a Neolithic - Iron Age hill fort/settlement not far from where I live. I think I'm officially old now.

IMG_20231128_215735926.jpg