General Gaming News.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Barely. If you told me that game looked like a mid to low budget late 7th gen or early 8th gen title, I wouldn't have known the difference.
Perhaps a better phrasing would have been for me to say that King Kong game doesn't look like something made this year outside of shoestring budget indie game creators.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Perhaps a better phrasing would have been for me to say that King Kong game doesn't look like something made this year outside of shoestring budget indie game creators.
I understood you loud and clear, and you are correct with your phrasing. The King Kong game does look like some mid-2000s kusoge game. And there are low budget games from that timeline whom all look better than it. The game I was referring to was Gollum itself. It passes more for a bad looking 7th gen title than anything current.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
FakeSympathy, the gaming world won't change. All it does is turn.
Like, I don't mind bad indie games, because they usually are first-time projects for many individuals.

But when AAA or even AA games promote their games to be amazing but everyone can tell it's gonna suck, maybe just delay the launch to further polish the game, or even cancel it?

Why go through the trouble of being mocked to death by the internet, and mocked forever after the game's release?

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
You would think someone would stop and think "Hmm, would this ugly-ass, barely-functional game really bring us the money?"
Releasing the game in question would bring some money; not releasing the game would bring no money.

The other games are quickly forgotten about or falls into the anals of history.
Surely you meant the annals of history?

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I didn't think it was gonna get worse after Drake and the 99 dragons; Then Ride to hell Retribution came out.

Then it was The Life Of Black Tiger, then it was Gollum, and now this.

It seems we're forever cursed to have these ugly, unplayable, shitstain of a game on every generation of games
It’s most surprising we’ve even heard of this game seeing as how I’ve never heard of any of this developer’s previous.

And why is that list different than what Wikipedia shows?

Are there two MF’ing IguanaBees‽

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
You would think someone would stop and think "Hmm, would this ugly-ass, barely-functional game really bring us the money?"
There are a couple of reasons to do it anyway :

- You have made contracts that would be costly to step back from and rely on the game coming out. More relevant if there is a physical release as well., but if you sold the game to be part of bundles or passes/abbonements, that hits as well.

- You invested heavily in promotion hyping it up to a certain date. Missing this date will mean you blew a lot of your marketing budget.

- You relied on preorders/kickstarter money to develop it. And you can't afford the refunds.

- You know you can't salvage it with more time. Cut the losses and sell what is there.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Broadly speaking, the publishers already paid the devs who made the game, so even if its abysmal, they may as well eat whatever minimal costs are involved in distributing the game to try and get something back. (I'm prettysure its illegal to retroactively yank back wages, since that'd be an obvious slippery slope of doom)

As far as pushing it back, if they've already turned out absolute junk, it'd be illogical to keep paying them even more to presumably make even more junk (whether you be the publisher, shareholders, kickstarters or whatever else footing the bills)

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I bet they’re thinking it now. This is such a reactionary industry when you think of it. It almost *almost* makes it easy to see where all the suits’ apprehension comes from in terms of costly development cycles. But really, for something like this I’d think even a good chunk of Indie games would’ve had a bigger budget.

This reeks of a very small, inexperienced dev with limited everything stepping a bit too far out of their comfort zone and getting slapped in the face with consequence. If they stuck to a level of ambition that reflected their resources more succinctly then they wouldn’t have wound up with nearly as PoS results. Hell it might’ve even been decent, on relative terms.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
It’s most surprising we’ve even heard of this game seeing as how I’ve never heard of any of this developer’s previous.

And why is that list different than what Wikipedia shows?

Are there two MF’ing IguanaBees‽
Click on "Experience" at the top of their page and you'll see the games from Wiki cycle by.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Last edited: