Spider-Man 2 - Does whatever a spider can do

Gatuno

Jan 16, 2023
Please do not use slurs, even in jest. Thank you!
Him not liking the section is fine. I do have a problem with him using gay as an insult like he's Riley from Boondocks. I'm not here to defend every unexpected gameplay change/switch to a completely different character, but have some fucking class about it.
Gay

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Just because a hot girl is hot doesn't mean she can't have a heart disease,
True but it is far more likely in a big person. That isnt hate it is just facts. We are not meant to be overweight and it isnt good for our bodies full stop. Fat acceptance is just junk food companies trying to keep people fat and addicted to junk food and nothing more.

Reactions: Gatuno

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
True but it is far more likely in a big person. That isnt hate it is just facts. We are not meant to be overweight and it isnt good for our bodies full stop
Anorexia and bulimia. We all ain't supposed to be naturally paper thin twig sticks either. Some people are naturally big or thick. Even if and when they good care of themselves and properly diet.

For the record, I was never fat, but was I out of shape for a minute and gained some weight. I was 209 lbs. around 2017. I spent years during that time and years later drinking lemon-lime water (no sugar) and cutting down on bad foods. By around 2020-21, I went to 189 lbs. It was a combination of that, and my job requiring heavy physical labor. Not all diets are equal, neither weight, nor body types.

Fat acceptance is just junk food companies trying to keep people fat and addicted to junk food and nothing more.
Nobody said, didn't bring anything up, nor defend about "fat acceptance". That was all you bringing it up without provocation. Also, your little theory is bullshit. Like I said before, some people are naturally chubby or thick. That person can still be healthy or eat healthy, and carry those characteristics, and pass them down in genes.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
True but it is far more likely in a big person. That isnt hate it is just facts. We are not meant to be overweight and it isnt good for our bodies full stop. Fat acceptance is just junk food companies trying to keep people fat and addicted to junk food and nothing more.
Attributing people being overweight to them just being addicted to junk food makes discussing this topic any further pretty pointless.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Spider-Man 2 is the first Sony 1st party game ive played to crash over 6 times during my playthrough so far.

Aside from that as i get closer to finishing the game i think there is a sense of playing it too safe from the game. It offeres very little different from the previous two Spider-Man games and offers less impact and emotion in the story to be honest. There are few combat tweaks and the city is expanded...but i cant help but feel like the game lacks a "wow" factor for lack of a better word.

Not that it is a bad game at all. Plays well, it is still fun to play and fun to get around the city. It just seems like im playing the first game again instead of a sequel. It is very hard to describe.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There are few combat tweaks and the city is expanded...but i cant help but feel like the game lacks a "wow" factor for lack of a better word.
Not that it is a bad game at all. Plays well, it is still fun to play and fun to get around the city. It just seems like im playing the first game again instead of a sequel. It is very hard to describe.
Don't why you're surprised about this. We all knew the game was going to be Spider-Man (PS4), but more graphics and character switching. It's what Ragnarok is to GoW4, or Doom Eternal to Doom. Though I hate Eternal. Like I said before, not wasting $70, as the game will only be worth $60 or better yet, at the price of a PS1 and PS2 AAA game.

Spider-Man 2 is the first Sony 1st party game ive played to crash over 6 times during my playthrough so far.
That is concerning though. So far my brother has not had any crashes, but I bet this is not an isolated incident.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
That is concerning though. So far my brother has not had any crashes, but I bet this is not an isolated incident.
They seem really random as well. I played for hours before the first crash. And then it is several hours inbetween each crash with no real pattern or reason behind them.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I mean i suppose in theory she could apply her charms upon women as well. Though im not sure how well that stereotype would work because you'd also have to have the other character be into her, which wouldnt typically be the case. Though i guess in Western media everybody is into everybody else these days.
My sexuality is a "stereotype"? And... why wouldn't the other person be into her, what do you even mean by that?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Not the sexuality the Femme Fatale trope.
Oh, OK. So.... how does her additional attraction to women prevent her from plying her "femme fatale" wiles with men just as much as before? Like, no avenues have been cut off here. She was attracted to men before, and she still is.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Oh, OK. So.... how does her additional attraction to women prevent her from plying her "femme fatale" wiles with men just as much as before? Like, no avenues have been cut off here. She was attracted to men before, and she still is.
In theory nothing. But also they could have not had her say anything about her girlfriend and let her keep her secrets the way her character really would in order to lead the spider boys on and get what she wants.

I suppose the annoying thing about it is how unnecessary and badly it was done. She reveals her secrets immediately to Miles whom she doesnt even know and it just feels like they wanted to pigeon hole a way to make sure the player knew she was gay now. Instead of a passive reveal like her on a date with a woman later on. There are better ways of telling the story than beating people in the head with it.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
In theory nothing. But also they could have not had her say anything about her girlfriend and let her keep her secrets the way her character really would in order to lead the spider boys on and get what she wants.

I suppose the annoying thing about it is how unnecessary and badly it was done. She reveals her secrets immediately to Miles whom she doesnt even know and it just feels like they wanted to pigeon hole a way to make sure the player knew she was gay now. Instead of a passive reveal like her on a date with a woman later on. There are better ways of telling the story than beating people in the head with it.
Right, but your objection wasn't about the fact she mentioned having a partner at that point. It was specifically about the gender of that partner and her sexuality.

There are better ways of telling the story than beating people in the head with it.
Let's be honest: if it was a boyfriend, spoken of in exactly the same manner, you wouldn't say it was "beating people in the head with it". People talk about opposite-sex partners like this in games all the time without a batted eye.

It's only if someone talks about a same-sex partner, even if it's treated exactly the same. Suddenly it becomes beating people in the head with it!

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But also they could have not had her say anything about her girlfriend and let her keep her secrets the way her character really would in order to lead the spider boys on and get what she wants.
That would be out of character, and make her even more unlikeable than this incarnation already is. She's done enough shitty manipulation as it is.
There are better ways of telling the story than beating people in the head with it.
Leave to the straight white guy to complain about someone discussing their non-straight sexuality/sexual preference and "beating them over the head with it". You know how you said you're okay with sexual representation and not going to complain "as long as they get it right". Yeah, that's the complete opposite and it doesn't surprise me you would react like this. It's same shit no different from the whiny racists who complained about (an optional) final side quest in Miles Morales that supports BLM, and these shitheads were crying about "dangerous politics/social and political issues don't belong in a superhero game/property/Spider-Man". When Miles Morales entire story is about the gentrification of poorer neighborhoods or areas where minorities such as Blacks and Latinos are the major population of people living there. All done by a rich white guy who doesn't give a shit, so long as he's in power and has all that money abusing a dangerous power source he has no full understanding of.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Let's be honest: if it was a boyfriend, spoken of in exactly the same manner, you wouldn't say it was "beating people in the head with it". People talk about opposite-sex partners like this in games all the time without a batted eye.
It would still be bad and still out of pocket for the kind of character Black Cat is. Especially when dealing with someone new.

That would be out of character, and make her even more unlikeable than this incarnation already is. She's done enough shitty manipulation as it is.
Meh manipulation is kind of the point of her whole thing. So not really.
Leave to the straight white guy to complain about someone discussing their non-straight sexuality/sexual preference and "beating them over the head with it". You know how you said you're okay with sexual representation and not going to complain "as long as they get it right"
Dude i even posted an example of them telling a gay love story in the game already. It was cute and well done imo.

I just dont like when the first priority we have to establish with existing characters is having them tell you "im gay now by the way." To make sure you know. It also goes against story telling principals of show dont tell. I stead of having the character explain things to you or outright tell you in dialog, show the play subtlety and let them work out details about the character without neeeding the character to spell it out.

In fact here is how you do it. During the Black Cat mission you are hunting her down in order to warn her about Kraven coming for her. You go to her house and its already fucked up, the hunters have already been here and shes gone. Spiderman investigates to try and guess where she might have escaped to. Here they could have had pictures of her with a woman, having dinner, kissing, whatever, and thus the player could have learned about her partner without Felicia needing to be uncharacteristically up front with a stranger. And id have nothing to complain about.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Meh manipulation is kind of the point of her whole thing. So not really.
In this instance and for this version of the character: yeah, really. The Sony version of her I already don't like, and the exclusive DLC from the first game made her attitude only worse. So it's nice to see Felicia learned something and not be constantly on manipulative biatch 24/7.

Dude i even posted an example of them telling a gay love story in the game already. It was cute and well done imo.
I didn't forget and I appreciate it. You can do the same for Felicia's story as well.
I just dont like when the first priority we have to establish with existing characters is having them tell you "im gay bi oow by the way." To make sure you know. It also goes against story telling principals of show dont tell. I stead of having the character explain things to you or outright tell you in dialog, show the play subtlety and let them work out details about the character without neeeding the character to spell it out.
Once again, Insomniac already confirmed her bi-sexuality in 2021. There is nothing out of the blue about it. And again, this isn't the first time the character became Bi. Sounds like a you problem.

In fact here is how you do it. During the Black Cat mission you are hunting her down in order to warn her about Kraven coming for her. You go to her house and its already fucked up, the hunters have already been here and shes gone. Spiderman investigates to try and guess where she might have escaped to. Here they could have had pictures of her with a woman, having dinner, kissing, whatever, and thus the player could have learned about her partner without Felicia needing to be uncharacteristically up front with a stranger. And id have nothing to complain about.
That's just a fancy way of hiding it out without saying it. Lame and has been done to death. There is nothing wrong with having these things out in the open. Because people who have a problem with her being Bi/gay would ignore those details and presume and pretend that she's straight. Your little scenario does nothing.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I suppose it’s debatable if that kinda thing would/should fall under this philosophy -

The thing is, promoting the acceptance of it (and this could be pretty much any social/political/sexual/etc. issue) is in the best, most immediate interests of those it personally effects, so naturally these folks will lean towards having it in the forefront somehow.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
It would still be bad and still out of pocket for the kind of character Black Cat is. Especially when dealing with someone new.
Yet you wouldn't have used the same language, and you wouldn't have complained about the partner's gender and her sexuality.

You can't now try to shift this onto a mere objection about her having a relationship. You very specifically objected to the same-sex thing.

So why is it necessary to present it without talking about it only when it's same-sex? Why the different standard, with your complaint focusing on her sexuality?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So why is it necessary to present it without talking about it only when it's same-sex? Why the different standard, with your complaint focusing on her sexuality?
No it is the same approach that hetero relationships show. Straight people dont walk around telling people who straight they are, in reality or in fiction. What actually happens is you see family photos or characters holding hands or whatever to show the player the relationship without telling them.

Again its the nature of the writers feeling like they have to make the character be up front with the player and say "Im gay" at first opportunity. When you could have just as easily have her teleport to Paris and show her running to hug, kiss and embrace anither woman in Paris once shes safe.

Show me the character's relationship, dont tell me the relationship.