They fired the Escapist's editor, and the video team, Yahtzee resigns

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I mean, we could, but I'm not really sure most people here would agree with the ideals that Arnox is trying to uphold with the site. It's very 'won't let anyone trample our free speech' in a kind of paranoid way.
Oh yeah, now I remember why I stopped popping in over there.

Anyway, discussion of what forum to move to should probably be in the other thread.
Link's broken.

I assume you meant this one;

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Oh yeah, now I remember why I stopped popping in over there.
I could write whole pages (and I have) on what free speech means to us and to the site and current events and current tech trends and all that shite, but I know most people here aren't going to listen to me, so instead, I'll just make it as short and sweet as I can.

I do want everyone who can abide by our very simple rules to join us at Sanctuary, but if you can't handle having your views challenged or are just going to complain at every turn about our site philosophy and the overall way we run things, you would be better off somewhere else. We want people who wish to explore new horizons and strive to broaden their mind and be better people. More informed. More knowledgeable. More responsible and powerful. Able to critically think their way out of issues and dilemmas. If you can't handle that, then go somewhere else more suitable to your intellectual abilities.

Reactions: Signa

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Ok, the subreddit Dalisclock posted is not official, but does have Nick's blessing. I was both right and wrong.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Drathnoxis

I love the smell of card games in the morning
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Link's broken.

I assume you meant this one;
Whoops, I did mean that one.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
A mention in Penny Arcade:

No disrespect, but I do have to agree about the logo. It looks like something I'd have made in 1996 and that's really not a compliment.

It's almost like the logo and name were made over a brief period of time without being planned in advance.
I don’t really get the trash talk about it. Maybe I’m not that artistically inclined, but is the escapist or even PA’s logos really anything to write home about either?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I don’t really get the trash talk about it. Maybe I’m not that artistically inclined, but is the escapist or even PA’s logos really anything to write home about either?
Not really. They're kind of relics from a different internet age that managed to stick around

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I was just thinking, surely Yahtzee would be the first to think of the double entendre and veto the name. Did Nick just rush in with the name without clearing it with the others?
That was mentioned in the stream. Apparently most people there (or all, I forget) are pretty big Dark Souls/Souls-like fans and tried to come up with something that related to flames/bonfires in a way that sounded decent for a website. Second Wind and the imagery of the phoenix was what they landed on, and Yahtzee was on board with it.
Apparently the logo was put together within a manner of a few days as well, if anyone wonders about that

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Save the link, Second Wind launch Party this Saturday:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
On the very slightly bright side, past few days I've seen a fair few familiar old faces/names pass by, here or in the Second Wind discord. I'm guessing not a whole lot of them will read this, but it was nice hearing from you.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Huh, the site's changed. No longer has the blue background, it's just plain white now. Escapist proper, I mean, not the forum. Or is that just on my end?

Last edited:

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
...the afmftermath one actually hurts my eyes to focus on for some reason.
All the lines and spaces are the same width, the letters themselves are not the same width, the crotch (top middle bit) of the 'm' makes it hard to tell it's not 'rn', and the border added to unify the oversized 'f' and 't' is makes the font so uniform it's hard to pick out individual letters.

It's the font equivalent of dazzle camouflage.

Also the 'e' is missing a top-right bevel to match the rest of the font. That doesn't make it any less readable, it's just annoying.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Huh, the site's changed. No longer has the blue background, it's just plain white now. Escapist proper, I mean, not the forum. Or is that just on my end?
Are you on mobile? There's a little moon button top right that turns the main section white.

Reactions: Chimpzy

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Speaking of the front of the site, it's startling the rate at which they are continuing to pound out articles. I'm kind of wondering if that was a strategy to quickly push out new content to hide the suddenly missing video updates, but I'm unfortunately not familiar enough with the front page and release schedule outside of YouTube to really be sure.

I am really surprised there has been no comments from an "acting EIC" or whatever position regarding the sudden exodus. Losing the video team was probably a solid punch to the grundle, but they knew Nick was going before anyone else so there should have been a replacement in the wings. You can't fire someone for not hitting targets and then not have someone else queued up to start chasing them.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Speaking of the front of the site, it's startling the rate at which they are continuing to pound out articles. I'm kind of wondering if that was a strategy to quickly push out new content to hide the suddenly missing video updates, but I'm unfortunately not familiar enough with the front page and release schedule outside of YouTube to really be sure.

I am really surprised there has been no comments from an "acting EIC" or whatever position regarding the sudden exodus. Losing the video team was probably a solid punch to the grundle, but they knew Nick was going before anyone else so there should have been a replacement in the wings. You can't fire someone for not hitting targets and then not have someone else queued up to start chasing them.
Maybe they're not going to bother with that sort of communication. Just pump out lots of short news articles and leave it at that, a faceless shell. I'm just waiting for it to turn into a listicle site like Cracked.