The Escapist Countdown to Shutdown Thread: What’s Next?

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I agree that that is better laid out, but if it were in the same dimensions as Bob_McMillan's current "avatar" the McMillan part would be partially cropped out by the frame.
I thought the last update the site possibly ever got made it so larger images would automatically be scaled down to fit but maybe that’s something totally different.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
THAT'S who it was, thank you. Its good to hear he's at least continuing to survive, but yes, I can't say I really want to seek out a discussion there. I just remember that he was eastern Canadian, worked manufacturing and had a lot to say about anglo/french relationships which put him in SW Ontario in my mind. They had huge layoffs in the auto manufacturing sector there around the time he dropped off the site, and I was worried he was out on the street honestly.
Wasn't he banned... again? I didn't think he just stopped posting.
I agree that that is better laid out, but if it were in the same dimensions as Bob_McMillan's current "avatar" the McMillan part would be partially cropped out by the frame.
I don't think it will be cropped, nobody's avatar seems to be cropped like that except for people that haven't set an avatar.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
THAT'S who it was, thank you. Its good to hear he's at least continuing to survive, but yes, I can't say I really want to seek out a discussion there. I just remember that he was eastern Canadian, worked manufacturing and had a lot to say about anglo/french relationships which put him in SW Ontario in my mind. They had huge layoffs in the auto manufacturing sector there around the time he dropped off the site, and I was worried he was out on the street honestly.
Well, had a look, found his twitter again. Lives in Quebec now. Seems to be doing ok. Aside from that, hasn't changed a bit.
Yeah, I dunno. Canadian conservatives and American conservatives have startlingly few overlaps beyond a few major talking points, but every now and then somebody grabs the wrong end of the wrong stick and things go weird. A lot of what he argued about only applied to American politics because the systems are just different.
Always was kind of weird how his deal was full on American far right, even though he's not American. Then again, there's blokes like Ian Miles Cheong, who's Malaysian.
Wasn't he banned... again? I didn't think he just stopped posting.
I think you're right, but it's hard to confirm.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Hey hey finally getting a chance to catch up on internetting after a crazy weak personally that coincided with this whole Escapist/2nd Wind business so that was fun.

I'm glad for the guys on their new venture but it's pretty crazy they're not doing a web site, I hope they reconsider. So far the only planned written content will be Darren Mooney columns but only for $10 tier Patreon subscribers. I like Darren, I already joined the Patreon, but can't justify that high a tier for myself. At least he'll still make videos I presume.

Saturday they did a big stream, just a longer "game night," and it was fun (wife was out of town so I used it as an opportunity to regress with beer, community gaming Fall Guy, junk food, edibles). Having the streams continue is comforting and I hope they do more like Hidden Gems and Yahtzee picks up where he left off just streaming what he wants, a change he made recently from just streaming whatever he reviewed on ZP.

Speaking of which, that will continue under a different name, but Frost's and JM8's video series continue unchanged.
The biggest content casualty is their D&D series Adventure Is Nigh, which is Jack Packard and Yahtzee at peak personality and everybody else is fun too. It's the only D&D watch series I ever got into and they were right in the middle of a season where they filmed in person so my entertainment balls will be severely blue for a while.

I agree with those who don't enjoy casual chatting in Discord, I never could do it. I like forums like this where I can just post and read at my own schedule. I'll probably stick around here through the end of the year what with game awards and everything and then bail.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hey hey finally getting a chance to catch up on internetting after a crazy weak personally that coincided with this whole Escapist/2nd Wind business so that was fun.

I'm glad for the guys on their new venture but it's pretty crazy they're not doing a web site, I hope they reconsider. So far the only planned written content will be Darren Mooney columns but only for $10 tier Patreon subscribers. I like Darren, I already joined the Patreon, but can't justify that high a tier for myself. At least he'll still make videos I presume.

Saturday they did a big stream, just a longer "game night," and it was fun (wife was out of town so I used it as an opportunity to regress with beer, community gaming Fall Guy, junk food, edibles). Having the streams continue is comforting and I hope they do more like Hidden Gems and Yahtzee picks up where he left off just streaming what he wants, a change he made recently from just streaming whatever he reviewed on ZP.

Speaking of which, that will continue under a different name, but Frost's and JM8's video series continue unchanged.
The biggest content casualty is their D&D series Adventure Is Nigh, which is Jack Packard and Yahtzee at peak personality and everybody else is fun too. It's the only D&D watch series I ever got into and they were right in the middle of a season where they filmed in person so my entertainment balls will be severely blue for a while.

I agree with those who don't enjoy casual chatting in Discord, I never could do it. I like forums like this where I can just post and read at my own schedule. I'll probably stick around here through the end of the year what with game awards and everything and then bail.
I've been trying to reach you like crazy. Go to the Space Battle Forums that he decide to bail here at the end of the year. A few others and I have already joined there. It's a cool place and it's pretty chill. I like talking with you.

By the way, did you get to Streets of Rage 4 yet?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Always was kind of weird how his deal was full on American far right, even though he's not American.
Believe me, we have a very similar confusion for people like that here. These days those folk tend to either sit conservative or on the right, but when they go full tilt... They start voting PPC (The People's Party of Canada... America's Republican far right brought right to our door)

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Believe me, we have a very similar confusion for people like that here. These days those folk tend to either sit conservative or on the right, but when they go full tilt... They start voting PPC (The People's Party of Canada... America's Republican far right brought right to our door)
That related to that Queen Ramona Q-anon thing? Or is that yet another brand of US crazy that crossed borders?

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I've given it some thought and I think I'm likely gonna leave the forums here shortly

Nick approved a video article by Council of Gamers that makes a compelling argument where in Nick likely did not get fired because Theescapist wasn't profitable, but rather in spite of the fact that it was and that cuts to the escapist and push for quick content creation was the results of stock gap covering. I'm just so tired of things I like being treated as generic assets to to be pumped and dumped willy nilly.

Given the option, I don't want to support that kinda greasy behavior reminiscent of Bain capital shifting debt onto Toys'R'us I'm left feeling like maybe I do not want to follow theescapist anymore period. I don't know if the forums count, but its probably all or nothing.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I've been trying to reach you like crazy. Go to the Space Battle Forums that he decide to bail here at the end of the year. A few others and I have already joined there. It's a cool place and it's pretty chill. I like talking with you.

By the way, did you get to Streets of Rage 4 yet?
Aw thx. Sure I'll check that out when I'm done here why not

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
That related to that Queen Ramona Q-anon thing? Or is that yet another brand of US crazy that crossed borders?
Hell if I know where that mess of a political party came from. Probably a decent bit of the latter however, given the overlap in policies and anti-everyone-but-me behaviour

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I've given it some thought and I think I'm likely gonna leave the forums here shortly

Nick approved a video article by Council of Gamers that makes a compelling argument where in Nick likely did not get fired because Theescapist wasn't profitable, but rather in spite of the fact that it was and that cuts to the escapist and push for quick content creation was the results of stock gap covering. I'm just so tired of things I like being treated as generic assets to to be pumped and dumped willy nilly.

Given the option, I don't want to support that kinda greasy behavior reminiscent of Bain capital shifting debt onto Toys'R'us I'm left feeling like maybe I do not want to follow theescapist anymore period. I don't know if the forums count, but its probably all or nothing.
Considering the forum doesn't actually make the site any money (which is why they ignore us) I don't think there's any guilt in remaining. And really, we've stuck around through how many rounds of layoffs at this point?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Considering the forum doesn't actually make the site any money (which is why they ignore us) I don't think there's any guilt in remaining. And really, we've stuck around through how many rounds of layoffs at this point?
Yeah we’re displaying the same kind of loyalty to this place and it’s people usually reserved for the Captain of the Starship Enterprise.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Yeah, I dunno. Canadian conservatives and American conservatives have startlingly few overlaps beyond a few major talking points, but every now and then somebody grabs the wrong end of the wrong stick and things go weird. A lot of what he argued about only applied to American politics because the systems are just different.
Oh man, I forgot about Zontar. I swear I've seen him some of the comments on youtub using the same username.

Forgive the triple post, I'm catching up on this thread now.

Last edited: