The Escapist Countdown to Shutdown Thread: What’s Next?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Not to mention the Men of Iron from 40k, which led to the prohibition on non-human intellects. Ish.

Though, I'm also reminded of how International Electromatics had a mechanical answering machine, which refused to give you any information or put you through to a person when you called it. In Doctor Who, in 1968. Truly ahead of their time.

Topaz

Surprise Mechanic
Legacy
Mar 31, 2020
Had to dig into the back of my brain to remember my password for this, but got in eventually.
Anyway, I guess this is hello again ...and goodbye.

Ngl, I'm surprised so many of you are still here. When I heard the news, I was expecting this place to be a ghost town.
Either way, I guess this phoenix can't rise from the ashes again; it's run out of lives.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Had to dig into the back of my brain to remember my password for this, but got in eventually.
Anyway, I guess this is hello again ...and goodbye.

Ngl, I'm surprised so many of you are still here. When I heard the news, I was expecting this place to be a ghost town.
Either way, I guess this phoenix can't rise from the ashes again; it's run out of lives.
We’ve been keeping things nice and civil in here because we’re cool like that. I plan on hanging on til the end, as long as the crew are still around. Gonna miss it though, and hope Second Wind will eventually have a place for a community vs just posting videos and articles. There needs to be a connection with their audience for it to truly take root. And the Discord format, while suitable for quick news updates, is too mind numbing for much beyond that.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Well, had a look, found his twitter again. Lives in Quebec now. Seems to be doing ok. Aside from that, hasn't changed a bit.
Always was kind of weird how his deal was full on American far right, even though he's not American. Then again, there's blokes like Ian Miles Cheong, who's Malaysian.
I think you're right, but it's hard to confirm.
I tried to find out without taking the obvious easy step of making a twitter account and asking him, but I wasn't getting anywhere so I stopped. I'm not super into making accounts on that trash fire, so I'll leave this one as a mystery and assume he went on a grand adventure of self discovery instead of getting banned on a forum.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Big problem with SpaceBattles is that they seem to really like their megathreads. I see a thread with a thousand pages in it and I don't even want to click on it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Big problem with SpaceBattles is that they seem to really like their megathreads. I see a thread with a thousand pages in it and I don't even want to click on it.
Then find another thread or make one. You do realize there are about over 3000 users on the site?

Reactions: Dalisclock
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
How many old heads here are over at Space Battles currently? I imagine eventually signing up there but also still plan on riding this site til it dies.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
How many old heads here are over at Space Battles currently? I imagine eventually signing up there but also still plan on riding this site til it dies.
Including myself, so far three. I already know there'll be others joining later in case whatever happens here.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I watched Yahtzee's and Nick's interview on Friends Per Second. It occurred to me that while I was vaguely aware that the Escapist (both the website itself and the forums) had a terrible reputation before V2, I was too busy graduating from high school and then surviving college to have experienced why that reputation was earned. Lucky me I guess. One day I was bored and decided to check out the forums again and it turned out we had a swanky new UI.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I watched Yahtzee's and Nick's interview on Friends Per Second. It occurred to me that while I was vaguely aware that the Escapist (both the website itself and the forums) had a terrible reputation before V2, I was too busy graduating from high school and then surviving college to have experienced why that reputation was earned. Lucky me I guess. One day I was bored and decided to check out the forums again and it turned out we had a swanky new UI.
It was really wierd going through all that.

I showed up here around the same time Yathzee did and remember when Stephine Sterling and Miracle of Sound and Unskippable were all weekly features on the site. And then Gamergate hit and that was when the whole thing began going to shit. It was like watching the Roman Empire collapse in real time and then being here for the dark age that followed. Nick showing up was like the Renaissance though I don't think anyone realized it at the time.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
How do you figure? I think pretty much everybody realized that the site was being saved from the brink of collapse.
Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. I seem to remember a lot of skepticism at the time if the new EIC would make any difference. Especially since we had previously had Russ Pitts and/or some members of the old guard show up for like 6 months and then leave without really fixing anything.

Maybe we were more optimistic about nick then I previously remembered? That was 4 years ago at this point so my memory is probably flawed.

If someone remembers what happened back then better then I do, please correct me.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
It was really wierd going through all that.

I showed up here around the same time Yathzee did and remember when Stephine Sterling and Miracle of Sound and Unskippable were all weekly features on the site. And then Gamergate hit and that was when the whole thing began going to shit. It was like watching the Roman Empire collapse in real time and then being here for the dark age that followed. Nick showing up was like the Renaissance though I don't think anyone realized it at the time.
I was around for Sterling and Critical Miss, even Movie Bob. I think Gamergate, or at least the majority of the fallout of it, was right about when I stopped visiting the site. I barely remember what it was even about anymore.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I was around for Sterling and Critical Miss, even Movie Bob. I think Gamergate, or at least the majority of the fallout of it, was right about when I stopped visiting the site. I barely remember what it was even about anymore.
A lot of people left around the time GG happened. A fair number of them probably never came back either. Like it schismed the site hard.