The Escapist Countdown to Shutdown Thread: What’s Next?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I barely remember what it was even about anymore.
Corruption in journalism, blah blah. Women's depictions in games, blah blah blah. Everyone suffering and not accomplishing much other than looking like self-righteous assholes and people getting fired on Facebook or Twitter for having an opinion. So much pointless suffering.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I don't think we are allowed to discuss that subject.

Drathnoxis

I love the smell of card games in the morning
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. I seem to remember a lot of skepticism at the time if the new EIC would make any difference. Especially since we had previously had Russ Pitts and/or some members of the old guard show up for like 6 months and then leave without really fixing anything.

Maybe we were more optimistic about nick then I previously remembered? That was 4 years ago at this point so my memory is probably flawed.

If someone remembers what happened back then better then I do, please correct me.
I guess when the news initially broke people were pretty leery, but right at the start Nick was pretty upfront and communicative with the community at the start so I think most people got a pretty good first impression of him. He just seemed like a good guy without airs or pretenses, unlike a lot of the other staff and community managers the Escapist has had. Honestly, I had forgotten that Russel Pitts had come back for a while there.

Also, looks like I was wrong. Maybe Zontar wasn't banned after all.

Well you need to get banned for something ridiculous first. But I'll be sad when you get banned :/

Whatever happened to Zontar anyway? I never really noticed but he stopped posting.
(A quote from the thread discussing the new change in management. It's pretty tough to read because that forum migration was botched pretty severely. Nick's post don't show up, you can only read them via quote.)

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
The Titanic is tilting, the band is playing ‘Nearer My God to Thee’ and the lifeboats are leaving half full. At this point no one gives a shit about obeying the ‘No Smoking’ signs.
What am I, chopped liver?

Reactions: Dalisclock
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
The Titanic is tilting, the band is playing ‘Nearer My God to Thee’ and the lifeboats are leaving half full. At this point no one gives a shit about obeying the ‘No Smoking’ signs.

What am I, chopped liver?
Pâté de foie gras (duck or goose liver IIRC) was the ninth course on the menu actually.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden

It appears they have access to their video channel now.

Hey everyone! Today we’re releasing the Zero Punctuation reviews for Sonic Superstars and Spider-Man 2, Cold Take on The Future Of AI In Gaming, Lost In Time on Resident Evil Zero and Stuff Of Legends on The Video Game Move Banned by NASCAR. All five videos were created before Frost, Marty and Yahtzee stepped away from The Escapist and we think it’s only fair that our viewers get to enjoy them. We wish them all the best with their new channel! We also know there have been concerns from some fans that the videos they enjoy will disappear from the YouTube channel. Please don’t worry about losing access. We have no plans to delete the archive, and we will be still releasing 2023’s ZP compilation since we know how many of you looked forward to that every year. Thank you to everyone for the patience, kindness, and support you’ve shown to us as a team. We really appreciate all of you. -The Escapist Team

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. I seem to remember a lot of skepticism at the time if the new EIC would make any difference. Especially since we had previously had Russ Pitts and/or some members of the old guard show up for like 6 months and then leave without really fixing anything.
Wasn't Russ the community manager at the time he came in, or am I thinking of someone else? I seem to recall one particular community manager that very recently joined the team many years back coming into a thread full of people going back and forth on some sort of debate about the site, and his witty and quality contribution was "Are ya'll still complaining in here?"
I didn't like him very much.

Maybe we were more optimistic about nick then I previously remembered? That was 4 years ago at this point so my memory is probably flawed.
I think a lot of people were cautiously optimistic, some were excited to see some new blood come in

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Wasn't Russ the community manager at the time he came in, or am I thinking of someone else? I seem to recall one particular community manager that very recently joined the team many years back coming into a thread full of people going back and forth on some sort of debate about the site, and his witty and quality contribution was "Are ya'll still complaining in here?"
I didn't like him very much.

I think a lot of people were cautiously optimistic, some were excited to see some new blood come in
Pretty sure that was Kyle Gaddo who was CM at the time Russ came back. I don't know if many people were sad to see him leave.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Pretty sure that was Kyle Gaddo
Thaaaaat's who it was.

I don't know if many people were sad to see him leave.
I'd be surprised if there was more than 3 people that were. For a Community Manager he didn't really create a good community vibe overall.
I forget where it was I heard this, be it a thread on somewhere like Reddit or a YouTube video, but apparently he wasn't exactly a stand-up guy in various communities he participated in. I think he was pretty firmly on the shit-disturber side of the GG mess as well?

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I'd be surprised if there was more than 3 people that were. For a Community Manager he didn't really create a good community vibe overall.
Honestly, that was par for the course for most of our CMs. I don't have fond memories of Nasrin or Spin Whiz either.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Is it just me, or are the latest articles on the site quite a bit more clickbaity?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Looks about the same. It just seems more because the non-clickbait stuff from Mooney et al isn't interspersed anymore.
I dunno... 1701096496341.png

But seriously, I don't recognize any of these names. Admittedly, I pretty much only read Mooney's stuff, so you may be right.

Reactions: BrawlMan