What have you purchased recently?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Saboteur I had just heard good things about and it was only $15, meh why not. As for the Silent Hill games, although these are the more maligned in the series they are on the rarer side. Downpour surprisingly as jumped up to $50+. I decided to just grab it while its affordable rather than find out a year or 2 from now it's a $100.
You're going to love Sabotuer. It's one of the very few and better AC clones better than most of the franchise itself. SH: Homecoming is okay, but if you already played 1-4, there is not much else aside from wasted potential. It plays better than SH4 and most of the older ones in terms of combat, but that's about it. Downpour, you're either going to love it or hate it.

Ironheart: Meant to Fly came into the mail today. Time to get so more comic reading done!

Reactions: gorfias

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
A second hand iPad 7th gen and an Apple Pencil to go along with it. I don't know where or why my little art kick I've been having recently is coming from and I don't know if I'll stick with it... but so far it's been enjoyable to have and I'm planning to experiment further. The hope is I'll be decent enough at it to make my own artwork (without tutorials or guides) that I can be really proud of

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
A HDMI cable capable of doing 8K. Games were not playing even at 4K on my new 4K monitor. I have spare cables all over the house. Of course, the moment I even toss one I'll realize I needed it. Anyway, that did the trick. I was apparently using one that was not even for 4K gaming.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
A HDMI cable capable of doing 8K. Games were not playing even at 4K on my new 4K monitor. I have spare cables all over the house. Of course, the moment I even toss one I'll realize I needed it. Anyway, that did the trick. I was apparently using one that was not even for 4K gaming.
I fucking hate all of the different HDMI and USB standards. None of the cables are ever labeled properly to tell you what they're rated for. You never know, can this cable do 4k 120HZ? Does this USB cable do power delivery, and if so how much? What data transfer speed can this cable handle?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I fucking hate all of the different HDMI and USB standards. None of the cables are ever labeled properly to tell you what they're rated for. You never know, can this cable do 4k 120HZ? Does this USB cable do power delivery, and if so how much? What data transfer speed can this cable handle?
I've got a few new ones that at least labeled 4/8K but they're already purposed elsewhere but yeah, now I have a butt ton of HDMI and Displayport cables I really should (don't tell my wife) throw away. They are all older and not reliable for just about anything new I'd ever get.
1706180378717.png

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
now I have a butt ton of HDMI and Displayport cables I really should (don't tell my wife) throw away. They are all older and not reliable for just about anything new I'd ever get.
Let's face it, everyone has a box full of old chargers, leads etc from old electrical devices that have been obsolete for a good while now, but keep them 'just in case'. I might need that old scart to triple phono lead for something!

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Let's face it, everyone has a box full of old chargers, leads etc from old electrical devices that have been obsolete for a good while now, but keep them 'just in case'. I might need that old scart to triple phono lead for something!
I have a multimeter. Why? I don't know. At no point have I ever needed to measure voltage. I didn't even buy it; I found it somewhere, so long ago that I can't remember where. I don't even know if it works. But I keep it, because who knows, right?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I have a multimeter. Why? I don't know. At no point have I ever needed to measure voltage. I didn't even buy it; I found it somewhere, so long ago that I can't remember where. I don't even know if it works. But I keep it, because who knows, right?
Though, it does seem to be a sorta cool gadget, even if not necessary.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Though, it does seem to be a sorta cool gadget, even if not necessary.
I've often needed one just do ensure something isn't "hot" when doing projects around the house. It's always something. And Murphy's law. My clothes washer broke and we had to R&R it. When putting the new one in, the water feeds exploded (heavy water). Needed a plumber to R&R the the feeds. Then after paying to install the washer, I ended up installing it myself, which is very dangerous due to my incompetence. World's 2nd most incompetent home owner.
Then the kitchen faucet broke. Water everywhere. Plumber came to install a new faucet. Hole in the countertop is obsolete: too small for today's faucet. Had to call Fabricators to widen the hole, which they did. $200 for 5 min work. I'm changing careers ASAP. Plumber returned and finished the job.
This all happened within the past month. At least my snow blower is still runn.... oh no.
1706191487605.png

Toughest one I had to give up? I had to throw out an old LPT1 cord that was extra long and heavy duty. Even I had to give it up: LPT1 isn't really used anywhere anymore. My current printer is wireless. Still smarted a lot.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Then the kitchen faucet broke. Water everywhere. Plumber came to install a new faucet. Hole in the countertop is obsolete: too small for today's faucet. Had to call Fabricators to widen the hole, which they did. $200 for 5 min work. I'm changing careers ASAP. Plumber returned and finished the job.
Could have probably done it yourself for the price of a diamond hole saw at home depot (about $35).

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Had to call Fabricators to widen the hole, which they did. $200 for 5 min work.
And you let him live? As in: you let him leave your house alive?? I think it would have qualified as a crime of passion if you had beat him to death with his own invoice. For $200, I'd have at least have made him stay and do the dishes or mop or fold some laundry.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Could have probably done it yourself for the price of a diamond hole saw at home depot (about $35).
I literally had nightmares that they would accidentally just crack the whole thing wide open. Letting pros do it was like getting an insurance policy for the job. Not the worst that ever happened to me. More below.

And you let him live? As in: you let him leave your house alive?? I think it would have qualified as a crime of passion if you had beat him to death with his own invoice. For $200, I'd have at least have made him stay and do the dishes or mop or fold some laundry.
Worst ever: very long story, I thought my oven broken and required special tools to open it up, find parts that appear to have fallen inside and repair it. $180: just needed a small allen wrench to tight the knob: much as it felt like it , nothing had actually fallen apart and into the body of the stove. He did say he felt sorry charging me for it, so I got that going for me.
Nice to have people you CAN trust.
Trusty Plumber comes because the septic ejector in my basement stopped working after a dozen years. He walked up to the pipe coming out of it, gave it a good tap with his foot and something came un-lodged and whoosh: that was all it needed. He told me to warn the family about what they flush. No charge.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I literally had nightmares that they would accidentally just crack the whole thing wide open.
The chance of cracking it are much less when widening an existing hole than if you're putting a new hole into the counter. I probably would have taken the chance (though the way that my sink is positioned, if the counter-top did crack it would be super easy to cover up without it being visible).

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Worst ever: very long story, I thought my oven broken and required special tools to open it up, find parts that appear to have fallen inside and repair it. $180: just needed a small allen wrench to tight the knob: much as it felt like it , nothing had actually fallen apart and into the body of the stove. He did say he felt sorry charging me for it, so I got that going for me.
Yeesh, my worst [so far] was when the door to our guest bedroom got locked. We don't know where they key is, so had to call a locksmith since neither of us knows how to pick a lock (and yes, I watched YouTube videos.) Locksmith came, inserted a little balloon that he inflated to separate the door from the frame and give him access to the latch, and *pop* he was done in less than a minute. Charged me $80. He was in our house less than 3 minutes, start to finish. Didn't even have enough time to place the explosive charges under his van I was going to detonate in the evident things went precisely as they did. I miss that $80...

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Locksmith came, inserted a little balloon that he inflated to separate the door from the frame and give him access to the latch, and *pop* he was done in less than a minute. Charged me $80. He was in our house less than 3 minutes, start to finish. Didn't even have enough time to place the explosive charges under his van I was going to detonate in the evident things went precisely as they did. I miss that $80...
For $200, I'd have at least have made him stay and do the dishes or mop or fold some laundry.
That's the thing about paying for a professional (plus a housecall). Often for stuff like this you're not paying for the work done, you're paying for the expertise. It's a lot up front, sure, but you're paying for a job that is highly likely to get done correctly and quickly at that.
I'm sure there's plenty of people that can do the required job on the cheap. Does that mean they'll do a good job? Maybe. Will they BS you? Also maybe

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Now, y'all need to take my route when it comes to home ownership and DIY. Make sure everything in your house is bodged together out of old shit you liberated from a skip and that way it doesn't really matter if anything goes wrong, you can just hack it to bits and then stick it back together with tubes of sealant!