What have you purchased recently?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Now, y'all need to take my route when it comes to home ownership and DIY. Make sure everything in your house is bodged together out of old shit you liberated from a skip and that way it doesn't really matter if anything goes wrong, you can just hack it to bits and then stick it back together with tubes of sealant!
You know what they say: Filler and paint make me the woodworker I ain't.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
That's the thing about paying for a professional (plus a housecall). Often for stuff like this you're not paying for the work done, you're paying for the expertise. It's a lot up front, sure, but you're paying for a job that is highly likely to get done correctly and quickly at that.
I'm sure there's plenty of people that can do the required job on the cheap. Does that mean they'll do a good job? Maybe. Will they BS you? Also maybe
My dad used to tell a story of a doctor reading an X-Ray to a patient. The patient was irked complaining to the doctor that he knew the doctor would read the thing in seconds yet charge him a ton for having done so. The doctor replied, "Fine, then you read it" and walked out.

Reactions: Elvis Starburst

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This stuff:

Which is already on its way towards being built:

View attachment 10571

It kind of irks me that the fan over the RAM sticks up and doesn't fully meet with the fin stack, but whatever.

Pay no attention to the store-brand Pepto, I get acid reflux while sleeping sometimes and it's not exactly pleasant.
You could put that fan on the other side to help push air out instead of pulling it in... Although, it kinda looks like the rear heatsink might cause the same thing. Really you don't need a heatsink that big unless you plan on overclocking or having it in a hot room.

Reactions: Dirty Hipsters

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
You could put that fan on the other side to help push air out instead of pulling it in... Although, it kinda looks like the rear heatsink might cause the same thing. Really you don't need a heatsink that big unless you plan on overclocking or having it in a hot room.
I like to overbuild when it comes to heat dissipation. (And I do plan on overclocking.)

I've already got a 7900XT that I'm planning to transfer over once it's built.

Reactions: gorfias

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
1707254048599.png

Ok okay. I hear you, but listen. It was on clearance at microcenter for $500 and I getting pretty uncomfortable in my two other chairs.

I feel like I've spent the last 5 years looking for a comfortable chair. I had one of those stupid maingear Racecar chairs, but the problem was that it's a bucket seat so its great for gaming in a sad RPO internet cocoon, but its not comfortable to sit upright in and work in. So I bought one of those minimalist office chairs thats good for work, but then the cushion on that one starts to hurt my butt after an hour two.

Not sure how I feel about the Asus yet. The one thing thats very different is that the mesh fabric seat is much more comfortable. Its almost like sitting on a stretchy hammock. I almost kind forget I'm sitting on anything. That said this is, as I was worried definitely a 6ft person chair. I'm like 5'8 and more leg than person, so that neck/headrest is like at the top of my head. idk, two days in it's...mm fine. nevermind I just found the full recline function....aww yeah.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
View attachment 10577

Ok okay. I hear you, but listen. It was on clearance at microcenter for $500 and I getting pretty uncomfortable in my two other chairs.

I feel like I've spent the last 5 years looking for a comfortable chair. I had one of those stupid maingear Racecar chairs, but the problem was that it's a bucket seat so its great for gaming in a sad RPO internet cocoon, but its not comfortable to sit upright in and work in. So I bought one of those minimalist office chairs thats good for work, but then the cushion on that one starts to hurt my butt after an hour two.

Not sure how I feel about the Asus yet. The one thing thats very different is that the mesh fabric seat is much more comfortable. Its almost like sitting on a stretchy hammock. I almost kind forget I'm sitting on anything. That said this is, as I was worried definitely a 6ft person chair. I'm like 5'8 and more leg than person, so that neck/headrest is like at the top of my head. idk, two days in it's...mm fine. nevermind I just found the full recline function....aww yeah.
I've actually heard surprisingly good things about that chair. Honestly, for a good office chair $500 is a pretty good deal.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Depends on the CPU. When I bought my 3900XT a couple of years ago, AMD didn’t supply the heatsink because their stock one wasn’t sufficient to cool it. I had to either AIO water cool it or use a large tower cooler like that one.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Depends on the CPU. When I bought my 3900XT a couple of years ago, AMD didn’t supply the heatsink because their stock one wasn’t sufficient to cool it. I had to either AIO water cool it or use a large tower cooler like that one.
No, I'm not saying not to get a cooler, but hes got one of the thickest tower coolers they make. Something like this isn't quite as thick and still give amazing cooling.

Not sure if the amazon link is showing to others, so hers a snip.
1707261798321.png

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I can never look past Noctua personally. And sometimes they do recommend the massive ass towers.
I've got a noctua tower cooler myself, but its not one of those super thick split ones.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I like to overbuild when it comes to heat dissipation. (And I do plan on overclocking.)

I've already got a 7900XT that I'm planning to transfer over once it's built.
I fear liquid cool. 2 types: those that leak now and those that leak later. Linus Tech Tips testing says you're not seeing value in performance next to a good air cooler.

I got this. Looks a lot like yours but has 2 fans: one on either side.

1707268223930.png

One fan over the RAM is nudged up a slight amount but it is running fine with good temp even when playing 4K games on an RX 6750XT.

1707268173102.png

MSI B650 motherboard too.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Attachments

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Shadow Warrior 3 was on sale for $6 bucks, grabbed it.

Also got some Olive Wood Smoked Olive Oil, Spicy Serrano Honey Vinegar, Vermont Maple Balsamic, Honey Ginger Balsamic and Pomegranate Quince Balsamic vinegar.

Also a cool cage lamp thing. Its cozy!

Last edited:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Battlefield: Hardline was $2 for PC so I grabbed it.
I bought digital for $5 for Xbox then they said they no longer had that particular game sku and it vanished from my Xbox! So I had to re-buy it. Bought a used disc copy for $10 years ago but I really spend way more time on PC. $2 is a bottle of soda so, I'll make worse spends in my life.

Also got screen protector for the Nintendo Switch OLED the family just gifted to me and Zelda Tears of the Kingdom.

1707510347346.png

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Battlefield: Hardline was $2 for PC so I grabbed it.
I bought it for $5 for Xbox then they said they no longer had that particular game sku so I had to rebuy it. Bought a used disc copy for $10 years ago but I really spend way more time on PC. $2 is a bottle of soda so, I'll make worse spends in my life.

Hardline was, by all appearances, a fairly decent game that was buried under the expectations that the Battlefield name brought. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have crested one hundred players on Steam since October, so multiplayer may not be the best experience.