Conflict between Palestine and Israel escalates

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Well, he did kind of sign up to be sent where the government of the day will send him. In the military one does not get to say “This order doesn’t suit me sir, may I have another?”.

If he felt that strongly about it, he should have resigned his commission.
I am holding back hard from posting the video of him screaming to free Palestine as he burns to death while an agent holds a gun on him. This is beyond just individually resigning. Though this should lead to mass resignations.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Well, he did kind of sign up to be sent where the government of the day will send him. In the military one does not get to say “This order doesn’t suit me sir, may I have another?”.

If he felt that strongly about it, he should have resigned his commission.
Can't just quit the military. Protesting and disobeying unlawful orders is something the military encourages though, at leas theoretically. Guess he figured aiding a genocide counted.

He was apparently a commissioned officer from a military family that went way back to the Mayflower too, so that's gonna have a major effect internally.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I am holding back hard from posting the video of him screaming to free Palestine as he burns to death while an agent holds a gun on him. This is beyond just individually resigning. Though this should lead to mass resignations.

I’ve seen it. Harrowing stuff that will be with any justice studied far and wide by students of politics, history and culture for decades to come. So please don’t feel the need to hold back on my account.

Can't just quit the military. Protesting and disobeying unlawful orders is something the military encourages though, at leas theoretically. Guess he figured aiding a genocide counted.

He was apparently a commissioned officer from a military family that went way back to the Mayflower too, so that's gonna have a major effect internally.
You know what, I kind of wish instead of burning himself to death, he’d done exactly that. Stood tall before his CO and said “Sir, I believe this order to be both illegal and immoral and cannot in good faith act upon it”. Really push this up the tree and see how far the notion of refusing illegal orders is actually allowed.

And he can resign if he has fulfilled his contract of service, which I would imagine as a veteran of the Iraq war he has done and then some.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'm not sure there's many stronger ways to show your displeasure than burning yourself to death...
Oh it made a point, no doubt about that. And like I said if there’s any justice in the world, Airman Bushnell will be remembered and studied in schools for decades to come because of it.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
You know what, I kind of wish instead of burning himself to death, he’d done exactly that. Stood tall before his CO and said “Sir, I believe this order to be both illegal and immoral and cannot in good faith act upon it”. Really push this up the tree and see how far the notion of refusing illegal orders is actually allowed.

And he can resign if he has fulfilled his contract of service, which I would imagine as a veteran of the Iraq war he has done and then some.
He did not. Also, that sort of protest is *much* easier to bury, and would do exactly zero to stop the ongoing aiding of a genocide by the US military, which was his greater concern over his own personal stake in the situation

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
And like I said if there’s any justice in the world, Airman Bushnell will be remembered and studied in schools for decades to come because of it.
Various people burned themselves to death in protest over the Vietnam war, good luck finding someone who remembers their names. Admittedly, some were in South Vietnam, but there were some in the US.

Actually, lots of people have burned themselves to death in protest of various issues, and had been quietly forgotten.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Israel seems to have made its ICJ report on preventing genocide measures. On the last possible day of course.

So far no reaction from the court on it, but can't take long.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Hot take. I don't think reacting to a man burning himself alive, when his country could completely pull out all involvement in the Israel/Gaza conflict and it would have no impact on the continuation of the war, by encouraging it and glorifying it, are going to bring more people into their cause. I suspect the net effect from this is going to be a lot of neutrals distancing themselves from Palestinian supporters.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I’ve seen it. Harrowing stuff that will be with any justice studied far and wide by students of politics, history and culture for decades to come. So please don’t feel the need to hold back on my account.

It will more likely be either buried, or distorted to make him look like a complete lunatic. I say “complete” because by rights it’s only half true, and his mental resolve was externally provoked to this point.

soreeyes

Nov 8, 2023
Country
united states
Hot take. I don't think reacting to a man burning himself alive, when his country could completely pull out all involvement in the Israel/Gaza conflict and it would have no impact on the continuation of the war, by encouraging it and glorifying it, are going to bring more people into their cause. I suspect the net effect from this is going to be a lot of neutrals distancing themselves from Palestinian supporters.
To state that the us pulling out would have no impact is so fundamentally untrue it can only be read as willful ignorance or deception at this point, especially from you.

and to call it a conflict after 75 yrs of "Israeli" occupation is absurd and disgusting
You're lies and neutrality are obfuscating of obvious visible genocide that is desperately and poorly trying to be hidden by its perpetrators.

and you really smell like dog buns

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

Campaign in protest of Biden's continuing support of Israel encouraged voters in Michigan to vote 'uncommitted' in the Primary. It far exceeded expectations, reaching 13% of the vote.

A pretty strong indication that Biden is losing support among the young and Arab-Americans over this issue. Even aside from the simple morality, it's not even good domestic politics.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
A pretty strong indication that Biden is losing support among the young and Arab-Americans over this issue. Even aside from the simple morality, it's not even good domestic politics.
Honestly, that is how US politics should work. Put pressure your own party during primaries etc. to shift its stance. Show that your issues are important to many people and could be vote winners or losers.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America

Campaign in protest of Biden's continuing support of Israel encouraged voters in Michigan to vote 'uncommitted' in the Primary. It far exceeded expectations, reaching 13% of the vote.

good domestic politics hasn't really been the aim of the Democratic party for quite some time now. It is a feeding trough for consultants that prioritizes crushing any threat from its left and maintaining approximate parity with the Republicans. If the Republicans are awful (and they regularly are), it adjusts itself to be similarly ghastly to keep the balance close to 50/50 of those who bother to participate in the scam (the Democrats would rather have a strong Republican party than win every election, as a weak Republican party might accidentally collapse and then something better might step into the vacuum).

Anyway, yes, facilitating genocide does not seem on balance to be a vote winner for Biden. Subservience to Israel must become electoral poison. Perhaps eventually we can tar and feather the CUFI and AIPAC board of directors as well. Exorcising these demons from our politics would be a positive development; one small step toward being actually democratic.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix