Funny events in anti-woke world

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
You think this is part of the anti-woke world?
It's anti-woke in that it's blatantly sexist against men.

Let me break down the insanity that is American gender norms for you.

Male-only career groups = gatekeeping from women's jobs.

Female-only career groups - affirmative action for an underserved minority who have been historically discriminated against.

And it goes on, and on. Society hates men, they hate men-only groups, and empower woman-only groups unless it's a religious org that is designed to brainwash you for the flying noodle monster that no one wants to join.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

Female-only career groups - affirmative action for an underserved minority who have been historically discriminated against.

And it goes on, and on. Society hates men, they hate men-only groups, and empower woman-only groups unless it's a religious org that is designed to brainwash you for the flying noodle monster that no one wants to join.
I'll just mention sports alone to demolish this entire dumb argument.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
View attachment 10791

Oh look, it's the "what about other minorities" type of faux concern racist trolling. Let's break this down, shall we?

First of all, Saga Anderson did not appear in Alan Wake 1. She first appeared in an easter egg video in the connected video game Quantum Break where, yes, she was a white woman. However, it can be argued that the developers hadn't really decided on what she would be like back then. And it wouldn't be the first time a character differed from their first appearance.

Second, Forspoken and Tchia were the only games of 2023 where exclusively played as a black woman. Every other game featured a black woman character as an option but not the only one.

Kind of odd people care so much about that aspect of the characters and not anything else............
Finally, I love when these guys pretend they care about other minority groups when they just want to hate black people. As if we haven't seen how they react to Lucia (Latina protagonist of Grand Theft Auto 6), Naru (Native American protagonist of 2022's Prey), Kamala Khan (Pakistani-American superhero from Marvel) and Echo (a deaf Native American woman also from the Marvel universe and who recently got her own show).
With GTA it's based round the expectations of what it unfortunately now stands for, a potential decline in quality with said thing being done to cover up and allow and easy defence.

With the film Prey that wasn't her being native American, it was the girlboss style stuff they tried to pull with it and how they still didn't have her fighting really yet she won as such with less of a trial happening meanwhile the original predator film has it wipe out almost a whole squad of highly trained solders armed to the teeth. With Kamala Khan, people like the actress, just a shame she's stuck playing a character who has become in the MCU the kind of stereotype with vaguely mystical based powers that the character was deliberately originally designed to be getting away from. As for Echo, again changed from the comics, also doesn't help that they apparently really changed King Pin a lot too.

I love that people keep pretending there's some grand plan or conspiracy going on when, Killjoys was a hit, people actively want to see more Ghost in the MCU such that there's talk of a Dark Avengers movie with the character and actress. Halle Berry as Catwoman wasn't panned for the casting but the film itself.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Why are RW reactionaries so unable to look at the systems they're living under in any critical lens? They will keep us all caught in this endless useless loop of obsessing over shallow celebrity and pop entertainment instead of the very mechanisms that perpetuate and increase desperation within working class and vulnerable communities till the last nuke wipes our miserable species off the planet forever more. It's so fucking depressing.
I would not blame that on RW. That's the centrists/liberals who want decorum and no one rocking any boats. They are generally pretty authoritarian and get to blame the wings and get away with it

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Shame when they did 99.99% of them have flopped or failed to meet targets so now the target has been turned on existing big well known games that must be changed and it's "they're our games now and you're not getting them back" kind of attitude being shown.
Like how 99.99% of most games flop? Same thing we people being nostalgic movies of the 80s. There were tens of thousands of movies made and only 100ish are actually good

This is just survivor bias

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden

If you feel that way then fine, but I thought if anything that ought to be the Woke world. "Let's be inclusive towards people that have historically been marginalized... implemented in such a way that the historically not marginialized group becomes marginalized."

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Unless Woke costs $100 million dollars and comes with a battle pass, it's basically impossible that it's what's causing problems

Like, games are selling great. Even the bad ones. They're costing too damn much to make, amongst other C suite bullshittery
Fine I love a challenge. I'll explain it using economics.

A customer you have is worth less than a customer you could get. This is why companies spend so much on advertising and offer new deals to new customers. It takes effort for a person to change things so generally people will stay with what they know unless they're unhappy. Thus companies assume their existing audience won't leave. So they are after the mythical untapped new audience. Thus they get in groups to tell them how to appeal to them. So they then try to change existing games to appeal more to the new audience, after all the old audience is locked in and aren't going anywhere right? The big news from Sanfran / Portland based customer research companies who mostly researched on SanFran / Portland residents is people are willing to throw a lot of money towards games that represent groups and these groups are just the ones companies see as not a big part of their audience yet. So changes get made and while yes massive games with battle passes and live services are a problem in themselves they aren't the only one. Especially when part of the price rise would be from hiring in some overpriced consultancy firm, how expensive? Well thanks to the past we know Anita Sarkeesian for 1 speaking event for 1 night would charge $20K, so that adds up pretty quickly if you're hiring a company for months or years long consultancy work.

Now add into all this two things.

Social desirability bias.

And the rush to make the perfect past sauce.

Social desirability means of course people will say they want diversity and representation in games because some people, and some journalist are saying that's good an anyone not actively for it is a Nazi who it should be legal to attack in the street because they're not human.

Perfect Pasta Sauce is a probably old reference now but it came into gaming thanks to Jim Fucking Sterling son talking about marketing and the stupid push to make something for everyone, which was the push to make 1 perfect pasta sauce from a sauce company rather than a range of them. Thus execs making ever bigger more eggs in one basket game try to appeal to ever more people and turns out they don't actually specifically manage to truly give everyone what they want because some people want smooth pasta sauce while others want extra chunky.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Because they conditioned themselves, then condition by parts of the system in the system itself, or they know there's more than one problem but they're either denial or want to keep people in the dark so they can feel better about themselves and have them on the same pathetic level as they are.

They're not giving worth a full attention, unless somebody's actually going out to hurt or kill somebody. That said, I never letting these imbeciles off easily.

Speaking of Fringe right wing, Stuttering Craig for a screw attack is an alt-right jackass. I found out early this morning, but it's been known since last year. I haven't seen anything from him since 2011. Not counting the moment I saw him briefly when he did his playthrough of the new Ninja Turtles game back in 2022. He sees anything "woke" as a problem.

I wouldn't cite Gamerghazi as a good place. They happily celebrated the false claims that led to a developers suicide previously.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Like how 99.99% of most games flop? Same thing we people being nostalgic movies of the 80s. There were tens of thousands of movies made and only 100ish are actually good

This is just survivor bias
yeh, except in the films case you're talking about a lot of B movies with limited budgets / marketing that tended to make up the flops.
In gaming there's plenty of journalists willing to cover and push games like Where the Water Tastes Like Wine and Sunset as ground breaking titles lol.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Shame when they did 99.99% of them have flopped or failed to meet targets so now the target has been turned on existing big well known games that must be changed and it's "they're our games now and you're not getting them back" kind of attitude being shown.
Well, if you don't like it, you should just go and make the kind of games you like yourself.

Reactions: Ag3ma and BrawlMan

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Fine I love a challenge. I'll explain it using economics.

A customer you have is worth less than a customer you could get. This is why companies spend so much on advertising and offer new deals to new customers. It takes effort for a person to change things so generally people will stay with what they know unless they're unhappy.
Sure. But that applies to long-term, permanent services like your bank, phone provider, etc. It doesn't mean everyone who buys Call of Battlefield Honour 6 are all going to buy Call of Battlefield Honour 7.

Well thanks to the past we know Anita Sarkeesian for 1 speaking event for 1 night would charge $20K, so that adds up pretty quickly if you're hiring a company for months or years long consultancy work.
Don't be so absolutely ridiculous: I have no idea why people like you are so intent on making yourselves look so foolish. Events speaker payments are very different from day job salaries (even as a fixed-term contractor).

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I'll just mention sports alone to demolish this entire dumb argument.
A winner takes profession vs said finance, tech, etc. It's the same as people asking why you don't start a business, well because most businesses fail duh.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
But guys, you don't understand! DEI is giving unqualified people jobs based solely on their race and sex! That's my birthright as a white male!
I am not white, I am an Asian male that is neurodivergent. Where is my affirmative action?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States