What are you currently playing?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But I beat Sekiro like 6 times or something. Sure a couple of those were for platinum but I also bought it on three different platforms and beat it on all three. It also has like ZERO replayibility mechanics or build variety- it's just gettin' gud with your sword, which I'm all about. That game is "easy" for me because there's just one thing to focus on.
Speaking of Sekiro, you ready for another Korean version called Stellar Blade? Though that one is a mix of what I just mentioned and Nier: Automata. Also, HF Rush comes out next week on tuesday on PS5. Want to go through that one again? Don't worry I'm joking on that one. I will be playing though!

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Speaking of Sekiro, you ready for another Korean version called Stellar Blade? Though that one is a mix of what I just mentioned and Nier: Automata. Also, HF Rush comes out next week on tuesday on PS5. Want to go through that one again? Don't worry I'm joking on that one. I will be playing though!
I'm interested in Stellar Blade- it looks like it can go either way. Kinda reminds me of Code Vein, I game I tried and while it wasn't bad it just didn't jive with me. I'll be following reviews and such but I dunno if/when I'll play it. Could be one of those like if I got nothing else to do things.

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Started playing the new robocop game, its pretty good but nothing amazing. It mix linear shooter sequence with more open immersive sim (system shock) sequence with some light RPG aspect. Most important is that they capture the tone of the film really well (with the gratuitous gore) without falling into the preachiness.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Got Helldivers 2 a few days ago and I'm really impressed. The guns feel and sound great, shotguns are usable at ranges that actual shotguns are usable at, explosions are fast and kinetic, rockets actually move at speed, and a lot of what would normally be pure effects are actual physics objects in game. No wonder their servers are on fire. Characters have voice lines they say somewhat randomly and contextually, which is a hoot, like going berserk after holding down the trigger on a machine gun long enough. The humor is as relentless and on point as the enemies you fight, both blatant and subtle. My favorite underrated joke is how there's a randomize option for which voice your Helldiver uses. Not like, "I don't care what voice I have so choose one for me", but "you get a new voice every time you die", because if Super Earth has cloning or resurrection technologies, it certainly isn't using them on the Helldiver Corp. Each new guy you get is distinctly a different person, meaning your upgradable personal destroyer can change ownership half a dozen times over the course of a mission.

My only two complaints are that Quickplay, the main option of random queueing, doesn't take into account which faction you want to fight against, and that you can buy Super Credits for real money. Vestigial micro transactions. It's not *that* big of a deal, the only things to use them on are a handful of cosmetic armors and one Premium Warbond (with a second on the way), and if you take time to loot salvage the settlements scattered around the map, you can find a decent amount, but still. Warbonds are the equivalent of Battlepasses, except they don't have a time limit for redemption, and you buy things out of them with Medals you either scavenge repatriate for Super Earth or earn by completing missions and side quests.

Really hoping for armor dyes in the future, but that probably has to wait until the servers aren't catching fire and the game is more feature complete. More vehicles are planned and there's a whole third faction in the lore

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
[video game shotguns are terrible]
The Titus-6 in Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 has an underslung shotgun with a surprisingly effective range. Solid spread too, so even though you can't ADS with it, you'll still probably hit more often than not. Actually, almost all the Call of Duty shotguns I can think of are pretty great, with the possible exception of the Keymaster underslung.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Titus-6 in Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 has an underslung shotgun with a surprisingly effective range. Solid spread too, so even though you can't ADS with it, you'll still probably hit more often than not. Actually, almost all the Call of Duty shotguns I can think of are pretty great, with the possible exception of the Keymaster underslung.
The shotguns in Crysis 2 and 3 have good range too, but not to the extent of most COD games. The shotgun in Prodeus has an effectively long range, but of course the enemies do it better than the player.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Some ebay/furniture/spring-cleaning shenanigans brings me back to some gaming and my recent purchase and next game is:

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown

I have not played any of the old PoPs for more than a few minutes so I have no particular nostalgia for the franchise or anything, it's just this game looks hella cool. What I'm hoping for with my experience is that the platforming and metroidvania of it all are not beyond my skill reach but still offer a healthy challenge. The universally positive reception seem this to be reasonable expectations. Only bad thing is I gotta be away for a few days next week so I don't know if I'll start it before then. But, hey, anticipating a new game is really a part of the fun.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
So late to the party but I have been playing Baldurs Gate 3 I did beat it I have 3 different characters and went and bout Divnity Original Sin 2 cause it was on sale and how couldnt.

Also one the creeped up on me and shadow dropped was Pennys Big Breakawy. Christian Whitehead and the Sonic Mania team brough us this funny looking lady. I never had a saturn but this feels like a lost saturn title with a splash of Mario odyssey.
Not perfect some collision detection is suspect at times and camera will not be your friend but overall good times. Plus music by Tee Lopes is the chefs kiss.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So late to the party but I have been playing Baldurs Gate 3 I did beat it I have 3 different characters and went and bout Divnity Original Sin 2 cause it was on sale and how couldnt.

Also one the creeped up on me and shadow dropped was Pennys Big Breakawy. Christian Whitehead and the Sonic Mania team brough us this funny looking lady. I never had a saturn but this feels like a lost saturn title with a splash of Mario odyssey.
Not perfect some collision detection is suspect at times and camera will not be your friend but overall good times. Plus music by Tee Lopes is the chefs kiss.

Yeah, this game is a love child of the Saturn and Dreamcast days. I like the game, but the boss fights are the weakest aspects unfortunately. Still a great platformer.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
somehow getting the impression WB's now trying to rinse, scrape and squeeze every last drop of potential profit from the very few ppl who did buy their bloody failed game, as last update starts up with their interesting approach to data hoarding consent. First was realising the button to turn off data collection option instead opens up a webpage that has its own seperate data consent form to bat away before access to the option is granted. It's "opt-out" too, cause of course...

IMG_20240313_031215.jpg

Thems not even the fun part, hell no. If you were expecting the option to be a quick ticked/unticked box like all before it, expect again you juicy little ripe data stashes, cause they're truly innovating here by mandating imminent surrender of your email just to disable their vampiric data syphons.
IMG_20240313_030819.jpg

As one way or another they're determined to claw whatever petty data they can from the 10 customers who gave them the benefit of the doubt, whether they agree or not with their data being collected and sold no matter what.
IMG_20240313_031657.jpg

Suffice to say didn't agree, didn't provide email, closed game without reaching even the start screen - WB can go fuck themselves on poison cactuses.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I now have 19 hours clocked in for Helldivers 2.

In the past I swore I would never touch multiplayer games of any forms, but for some reason HD2 drew me. After 19 hours, I finally figured out my preference; I hate competitive pvp, but not the co-op pve. Every multiplayer games that made me stay away from them were in fact pvp; Halo Infinite, Overwatch, Valorant, Fortnite, Apex, etc. I think I've been lying to myself I enjoy these games, when in reality competition was never my thing ever since childhood. Granted in HD2 I still get yelled at for making stupid mistakes, but it's nowhere near the level I've experienced in competitive PVP. HD2 is a very pleasant experience.

I also absolutely hate live-service, but HD2 has probably THE MOST consumer-friendly model I've ever seen; there are tons of opportunities to earn credits to progress through the pass, and I didn't feel I was falling behind those who paid for premium.

Really hope HD2 keeps this up, and hopefully bring some standards to live-service game market

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Granted I still get yelled at for making stupid mistakes, but it's nowhere near the level I've experienced in competitive PVP. HD2 is a very pleasant experience
It's because everybody makes stupid mistakes in the game. When you're knee-deep in bugs with a Bile Titan trotting towards you, chunking that 500kg bomb throw is almost guaranteed.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It's because everybody makes stupid mistakes in the game. When you're knee-deep in bugs with a Bile Titan trotting towards you, chunking that 500kg bomb throw is almost guaranteed.
Really they should be using orbital strike against that bile titan, not the 500kg bomb. And the recoil-less rifle is a more reliable bet if you can get a good head shot.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Exactly! And because there is zero form of rankings (please don't add it), there is no sense of "I have to climb the ladder", or "I'm gonna get demoted because of you". I think that also cut down the level of toxicity.

I also appreciate how the game is not as fast-paced as other multiplayer games. Granted I still need to stay alerted, but I don't need to have reflexes of Mike Tyson in his prime.

The best part, both the devs and the playerbase are fully embracing the satirical nature of the game; I get a good laugh from posts talking about how amazing spreading democracy, liberty, and prosperity across the galaxy. Can't remember last time I've seen this level of community engagement

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Watched my older brother play Sifu. He got frustrated after dying in the middle of The Club. We're going to either play The Cowabunga Collection or finish up Double Dragon Gaiden.
Been playing Sifu off and on this past week myself too and although I'm only at the third level, it's quite the trip.

When every parry and dodge connects the game feels so darned good, but when you mess up a couple in a row then.. ouch.

I did replay the first level a couple of times to Permanently unlock certain skills. If you unlock a skill 5 times you get it permanently so you don't have to unlock it at the little shrines anymore. Currently I'm happy with UP UP Heavy and Weak and Heavy chase attacks after a throw.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Dark Souls 3. Beat the two demon bosses... oh wait, nope it's another multistage boss that takes half damage from my soul arrows and he killed me in one hit with a hundred fireballs. I wonder if From knows that there can be too much of a good thing. I didn't even give him another try. Maybe tomorrow.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Been playing Sifu off and on this past week myself too and although I'm only at the third level, it's quite the trip.

When every parry and dodge connects the game feels so darned good, but when you mess up a couple in a row then.. ouch.

I did replay the first level a couple of times to Permanently unlock certain skills. If you unlock a skill 5 times you get it permanently so you don't have to unlock it at the little shrines anymore. Currently I'm happy with UP UP Heavy and Weak and Heavy chase attacks after a throw.
I might get back into the game someday as I never actually fully completed it. I made it to the fifth stage final boss and he is a tough cookie. There's no official promise on this, because Hi-Fi Rush comes out next weekend I'll be putting all my attention towards that.

Reactions: bluegate
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Dark Souls 3. Beat the two demon bosses... oh wait, nope it's another multistage boss that takes half damage from my soul arrows and he killed me in one hit with a hundred fireballs. I wonder if From knows that there can be too much of a good thing. I didn't even give him another try. Maybe tomorrow.
If you have the Pestilent Mist spell it’s good for wearing down the less aggressive one. Also if you have Lapp as a summon he can help distract on of them. Any bleed weapon is a bonus too for melee if you run out of FP.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Started Prince of Persia Lost Crown and so far so good except some of the parry stuff which I bitched about in the hot takes thread.

It's an example why I'm not as ready to completely swear off AAA gaming or even the big evil hateable studios like Ubisoft. Yeah all they did was take trends from the indy or retro scene (metroidvania!) and pour money into it to make something smooth and glitzy. What the hell is wrong with that- nothing, says I. It's pretty and colorful and smooth to play. Combat feels impactful and so far the platforming is rewarding.

Challenge starts off at a nice place (default difficulty mode for me natch)- it takes me 2 or 3 tries to beat a boss or mini-boss or area with more than one enemy. I'm sure I'll hit a point where it will be too hard and I'll whine about it but that's ok, there is an easier mode.