Funny events in anti-woke world

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Did you not read what that article said? Because it doesn't say what you think it says.

SBI literally says their goal is to add diversity and inclusiveness. So SBI doesn't give insights and recommendations to make games more diverse and inclusive? What does SBI do then? Everyone here keeps avoiding answering that question.
Specifically, a game consultant's job is to provide insights and recommendations that help game companies improve their products' chances for success. One type of evaluation might examine a game's narrative and story...
You grew up in the kind of environment where whenever somebody asked for help, the person "helping" took over the entire project, huh

That's the only way I can see somebody like you reading that passage and going "Aha! They forcing it!"

Reactions: Cicada 5

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Have you not played video games and not understand how shit writing is in them on average? The Fallout TV show is leagues better in writing quality than the Bethesda games for example. I'll never understand people playing games for story/characters/writing because you can go to basically any other medium and get much higher quality writing because none of the top writers are in the video game industry.

Do you not realize how low quality the writing is on video game side quests? Yeah, I'll take ChatGPT.
You don't seem to understand a lot of things, like the fact that videogame writing is subjective and not objectively bad. If you truly believe that videogame writing - all videogame writing - is terrible and nobody could conceivably enjoy it... Well, remember that bubble I mentioned?

Simple question: Do you believe that a hiring a narrative consultant like SBI has any appreciable impact on the end result?
You could ask that about any division of a game's developement.

If yes, then it's useful to know what games they worked on - they're likely to have similar sorts of impact between titles and one is likely to have a preference either for or against that impact.
Useful to who, consumers? Why? Unless Sweet Baby Inc. did some actual shady shit, like funnel away funds, why would that be useful information? Correction; why would it be useful information for people who want to avoid the impact they might've had on a game? Or should I say; what people would find that useful information?

If no, then hiring them is a waste of money that could be better spent on something else, and is probably not a good sign.
Yeah, but that's up to the studio to decide, isn't it? If a studio decides to scrape a bunch of work or hire new employees which may or may not have a negative impact on the end product that's up to them.

Reactions: Cicada 5

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
You grew up in the kind of environment where whenever somebody asked for help, the person "helping" took over the entire project, huh

That's the only way I can see somebody like you reading that passage and going "Aha! They forcing it!"
When did I say SBI took over a game's narrative or characters?

When their About statement says they look to diversify video games and what a consultant does (per you own source) "insights and recommendations", how is SBI not providing insights on and recommending diversity in video games? You guys really love your mental gymnastics.

But that was okay when all that shit writing was focused on you. It's when the shit writing might focus on someone else that you get angry.
I also agreed with those complaining about white male protagonists were being forced as well...

You don't seem to understand a lot of things, like the fact that videogame writing is subjective and not objectively bad. If you truly believe that videogame writing - all videogame writing - is terrible and nobody could conceivably enjoy it... Well, remember that bubble I mentioned?
You guys don't read the words I write because I didn't say that. There are games with good writing but they are so few and far between because just about all the writing talent is in other mediums where they get paid more. Again, common sense and basic logic. Going into any game and expecting good writing is a fool's errand. Let me know when a Fallout game has the creative talent of a Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy behind it.

You guys are in the bubble not even admitting to basic facts, you can't even tell me what SBI does because if you explain it any manner that makes sense and in line with what their About statement is along with what consultants do, then you have basically admitted that I'm right. Just based on what SBI tried to do to a gamer that merely made a list on Steam and their past tweets, I'm inclined to not support them as a company (plus they didn't even work on any game I'm interested in the 1st place either), and that has nothing to do with adding in DEI to games which you guys are doing hardcore mental gymnastics around.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You guys don't read the words I write because I didn't say that. There are games with good writing but they are so few and far between because just about all the writing talent is in other mediums where they get paid more. Again, common sense and basic logic. Going into any game and expecting good writing is a fool's errand. Let me know when a Fallout game has the creative talent of a Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy behind it.
'Nuh uh, I didn't say all game writing is bad, but expecting good writing from any game is stupid.' Common sense indeed.

You guys are in the bubble not even admitting to basic facts,
Which basic facts?

you can't even tell me what SBI does
They're a consultancy that helps developers with diversity and inclussion.

because if you explain it any manner that makes sense

and in line with what their About statement is along with what consultants do,
They help developers with diversity and inclussion.

then you have basically admitted that I'm right.
That they're a consultancy that helps developers with diversity and inclussion? Yes, you are right about that.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
There are games with good writing but they are so few and far between because just about all the writing talent is in other mediums where they get paid more.
Could you mention a game that has good writing? In your opinion.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
'Nuh uh, I didn't say all game writing is bad, but expecting good writing from any game is stupid.' Common sense indeed.

Which basic facts?

They help developers with diversity and inclussion.

That they're a consultancy that helps developers with diversity and inclussion? Yes, you are right about that.
How does this
Have you not played video games and not understand how shit writing is in them on average?
equal this?
If you truly believe that videogame writing - all videogame writing - is terrible and nobody could conceivably enjoy it...
---

When super shitty writing like Uncharted 3 gets nominated for best writing, what does that tell you about the writing in the industry as a whole?
1714669473881.png

---

SBI helps with diversity and inclusion how?

Could you mention a game that has good writing? In your opinion.
Disco Elysium

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
How does this

equal this?
Very easily when all you ever do is talk about how shit it is. And by infering we don't understand that it is shit, as if you know better what makes good writing. And when you are STILL bringing up Uncharted 3. Like, get the fuck over it, Jesus Christ! People like videogame story, characters, and writing, and you coming in with 'Don't you understand most of it is shit? Look at Uncharted 3.' makes you come across as a smug prick. Claiming ChatGPT should be involved in anything creative makes you come across like you don't know what the hell you're talking about when it comes to writing.

SBI helps with diversity and inclusion how?
I'm not an expert but based on them being a consultancy, by informing and advising - by consulting.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
By the way, why do developers need play testers and QA, can't they just see themselves whether the gameplay is good?
It's better to have someone separated from the development to test things. For one, developers know (theoretically) the game inside and out. Having built from the ground up certain aspects may not show up. An unintuitive UI for example, if you built the UI it makes sense to you, but it may not to other people. For second, QA and testing happens during development, so time spent testing by a developer is time not spent on finishing the game.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's better to have someone separated from the development to test things. For one developers know (theoretically) the game inside and out. Having built from the ground up certain aspects may not show up. An unintuitive UI for example, if you built the UI it makes sense to you, but it may not to other people. For second, QA and testing happens during development, so time spent testing by a developer is time not spent on finishing the game.
I know, it was a joke question. ;)

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
When did I say SBI took over a game's narrative or characters?

When their About statement says they look to diversify video games and what a consultant does (per you own source) "insights and recommendations", how is SBI not providing insights on and recommending diversity in video games? You guys really love your mental gymnastics.
Dot Dot fucking Dot
I also agreed with those complaining about white male protagonists were being forced as well...
Where's the *force*?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
See, that's what I get for putting him on ignore and thus missing half the convo :V
I was thinking about giving a serious answer myself, TBH, but guessed it was a joke.

Oh right, that exists. *sigh* Why do I hate myself?
Well, the Escapist would lose a lot of posts if pointing out the obvious to someone determined not to pay attention stopped being a thing.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Very easily when all you ever do is talk about how shit it is. And by infering we don't understand that it is shit, as if you know better what makes good writing. And when you are STILL bringing up Uncharted 3. Like, get the fuck over it, Jesus Christ! People like videogame story, characters, and writing, and you coming in with 'Don't you understand most of it is shit? Look at Uncharted 3.' makes you come across as a smug prick. Claiming ChatGPT should be involved in anything creative makes you come across like you don't know what the hell you're talking about when it comes to writing.

I'm not an expert but based on them being a consultancy, by informing and advising - by consulting.
By saying something is XYZ on average does not mean literally everything is XYZ. Video game writing is really poor when compared to other mediums, that's just how it is. Uncharted 3's boat sections literally make no sense narratively so that's not subjective but objective. Also, the fact that a story/writing like Uncharted 3 gets nominated for such awards is telling even if it was much better written because Uncharted is effectively Indiana Jones and do you see Indiana Jones movies being nominated for writing for film awards? And Naughty Dog has said they make the levels/set-pieces first and the writer has to tie them together and it's pretty fucking obvious that's what they do. That's not how you write a really good story. If Uncharted 3 is even close to one of the better narratives for a year in video gaming, that tells you the writing is not up to snuff in the medium.

Because any way you try to explain makes SBI into changing stuff around to make the game more diverse.

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Also, I gotta point out that 'shitty writing' is very subjective.

Eg. A lot of people like 80s movie dialogue and all I hear is cringe

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
By saying something is XYZ on average does not mean literally everything is XYZ. Video game writing is really poor when compared to other mediums, that's just how it is. Uncharted 3's boat sections literally make no sense narratively so that's not subjective but objective. Also, the fact that a story/writing like Uncharted 3 gets nominated for such awards is telling even if it was much better written because Uncharted is effectively Indiana Jones and do you see Indiana Jones movies being nominated for writing for film awards? And Naughty Dog has said they make the levels/set-pieces first and the writer has to time them together and it's pretty fucking obvious that's what they do. That's not how you write a really good story. If Uncharted 3 is even close to one of the better narratives for a year in video gaming, that tells you the writing is not up to snuff in the medium.
Crash won Best Picture at the Oscars. Really tells you movies as a medium kinda suck, huh? Why would anyone enjoy watching a movie when Green Book is considered one of the best movies ever made?

Because any way you try to explain makes SBI into changing stuff around to make the game more diverse.
Than that means you really don't understand the concept of advising or informing.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
For one, developers know (theoretically) the game inside and out.
Wrath of the Lich King era Warlocks would like to have a chat with you. An entire fucking expansion of trying to convince the devs that an effect that was supposed to generate 0 threat (Fel Armor) was instead generating double normal threat and being told that it very definitely wasn't doing that despite being able to explicitly illustrate that it very much was.

Though I miss being able set servers on fire with a Warlock with Engineering because of an obvious mistake involving a spell that did fire damage to yourself and a trinket that reflected fire damage dealt to you back to it's source... The server could only handle so many unresolvable packets of damage traveling in infinite loops.