Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Let me know when you get to Bumblebee & Rise of the Beasts.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Let me know when you get to Bumblebee & Rise of the Beasts.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I really wish they’d managed to get the music from the trailer into Bumblebee. It was really majestic.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Dragon Inn

Another themed list from Polygon in honor of "cool sword say" (whatever) gave me three movies to check out. This one from 1967 is Chinese, takes place in the late 15th century and is about various factions and characters converging at the title location to kill or protect the family of a deposed lord.

A great movie for those with patience or even fondness for 60s/70s era martial arts tropes such as:
- that thing where a woman pretends to be a man and no one can tell even though lol come on
- inexplicably super-human powers like flying and the ability to deflect arrows with eating utensils
- hordes of goons comically underestimating a shockingly confident and competent warrior

Good fun.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Faster: A'ight / Great

After being released from a 10-year prison stint for his participation in a bank robbery, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson embarks on a vindictive quest to kill the people who set him up and killed his brother.

Came out in 2010, and I'd never heard of it until last night. Easy to tell why, though; it's a mostly unremarkable movie, just The Rock being The Rock for an hour and a half. And while it does mostly avoid the incredulities of a lot of action shoot-'em-ups, the biggest glaring flaw is the fact that after he kills his first target, in broad daylight, in front of dozens of witnesses which lands his face on the news everywhere... he just doesn't get caught. Doesn't go on the lam; doesn't go into hiding; doesn't so much as try to be inconspicuous! He just drives around recklessly in a muscle car picking people off at will. I mean, it's the fucking ROCK! Who the hell wouldn't notice an actively wanted murderer who looks like the ROCK?!? With the exception of a couple of car chase scenes, this movie actually manages to play it pretty low-key in terms of incredible action, but that fact that The Rock (of all people) gets away with everything he does just blew the roof off the house of my disbelief.

Reactions: gorfias

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The Last Hurrah for Chivalry

My second sword movie, this one from 1979, is an early John Woo film. Before the guns and the gangs we have us a traditional Hong Kong martial arts setting with factions and territories and assassins. The plot is just an excuse for all the fighting which is true for most of these movies but really true here I dunno why everyone was fighting but it don't matter.
And boy was there fighting- it's really just all action. That and the occassional slo-mo reminded me it was Woo.
It's a cliche to call choreographed action fighting "dancing" but it really does look like that here. It's all very nice to watch and there is a LOT of it- just constant. Which is good.
A must-watch for any Woo fan.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Furiosa: A Mad Max Story
It's excellent! An excellent epic saga! It's not Fury Road, yet I am more than happy Furiosa does its own thing. I pretty much find it just as good as Fury Road. Even better in certain aspects. The CG increase I barely even noticed and is not a huge negative. @Johnny Novgorod, I am giving this movie the S-Rank, and this is my movie of the year!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
It's excellent! An excellent epic saga! It's not Fury Road, yet I am more than happy Furiosa does its own thing. I pretty much find it just as good as Fury Road. Even better in certain aspects. The CG increase I barely even noticed and is not a huge negative. @Johnny Novgorod, I am giving this movie the S-Rank, and this is my movie of the year!
I agree, it's a fantastic movie. I'm probably watching it again this weekend (I've always regretted not watching Fury Road twice at the theater).

I think the biggest turn off for a lot of people is going to be that "it's not another Fury Road", just as Beyond Thunderdome wasn't another Road Warrior. It's admirable that Miller didn't just knock out Fury Road 2 - evidently, it's been 9 years - but instead took the opportunity to flesh out his vision and make something that is such a perfect follow up while being so radically different.

And the trailers did the movie a disservice. What CG there was looked brilliant to me, if I was able to spot it at all.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I agree, it's a fantastic movie. I'm probably watching it again this weekend (I've always regretted not watching Fury Road twice at the theater).
I actually did see Fury Road twice in theaters. The second time I brought my older brother and it was his first watch.

I think the biggest turn off for a lot of people is going to be that "it's not another Fury Road", just as Beyond Thunderdome wasn't another Road Warrior. It's admirable that Miller didn't just knock out Fury Road 2 - evidently, it's been 9 years - but instead took the opportunity to flesh out his vision and make something that is such a perfect follow up while being so radically different.
Those people are spoiled and only want the same thing. Even if they got what they wanted, a majority of them would've bitched about it, and only appreciate it after 5+ years. I am glad Miller stuck to his guns and wanted to do something unique and further flesh out Furiosa.

And the trailers did the movie a disservice. What CG there was looked brilliant to me, if I was able to spot it at all.
I wouldn't know, because I only saw the first trailer and ignored the rest. I didn't want any spoilers.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The Fall Guy - 6/10

It's a very safe, well produced, slick, fun enough action flick. You'll probably forget about it instantly after watching but it's enjoyable enough while it's on. The biggest problem the movie has is that it's like 2 and a half hours long when it should be a tight 90-100 minutes. I kinda felt at the 100 minute mark the movie could've ended or started ending but it just kept going. Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt are great leads and carry the movie. Everything in the movie just feels like a few steps from being great whether it's the action or comedy, it's not bad but it just feels like a missed opportunity. The movie at times feels a bit like Tropic Thunder but it just kinda dips its toes into that instead of just jumping in the pool; that's kinda how everything feels like it won't commit to anything.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The Fall Guy - 6/10

You're probably forget about it instantly after watching but it's enjoyable enough while it's on.
Just wanted to add that this sentiment is very apropos given I watched it last week, and subsequently forgot to mention it here. In fact, the exact order of my thoughts when I read the start of your post was "Oh yeah, my gf wanted to see that... wait, we DID see that!" It is pretty forgettable, but serviceable enough in the moment.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Ilusions for Sale: The Rise and Fall of Generation Zoe

Wake up honey, it's Friday and Netflix made another crime documentary about some asshole. This one is Leonardo Cositorto, who from 2017 to 2021 swindled up to 400 million dollars in a Ponzi scheme worldwide. His business front was called 'Generation Zoe' and franchised everything from coaching schools and trading offices to mining companies and burger joints - without ever actually turning a profit or producing anything. Interpol caught him in 2022 and he's been awaiting trial in prison ever since.

There's nothing remarkable about the documentary: it's the Wikipedia version of the facts, made from the usual archive footage, talking heads and phony dramatizations where you never get a good look at anyone's face. It's not quite the Jaws of internet scam documentaries, the way The Tinder Swindler was "the Jaws of internet dating documentaries" according to a Times reviewer. But like The Tinder Swindler, I found the victims to be simply too stupid or too gullible to be too sympathetic, on top of being in the awkward position of also being complicit in wanting to keep the scam going once they were in too deep but the jig was up (while demonizing the people who were rightly calling out the pyramid scheme).

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
As an aside, the head medic at the clinic that Liz was at is the head medic in the beginning of Blade 2, by same director. Also the villian from Blade 2 is in the Hellboy sequel.

EDIT: Or perhaps that should be the other way round, as there was some moral ambiguity. Oh, and Ron Perlman was in Blade 2, of course.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Another thing I forgot to mention: the reason David Hyde Pierce went uncredited for voicing Abe Sapien is because he felt the character belonged to Doug Jones, which is also why he didn't participate in promoting the film or attend the premiere.