Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Inspired by the new Apes movie out and hearing talk of how this reboot/remake whatever series was actually good, though I ignored it and dimissed them at the time:

Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
War for the Planet of the Apes

These are from the 2010s and star the same dude what did Gollum as the lead chimp so I guess that actor is like the king of playing people are some other being with aid of computers or something. And of course he is the heart and soul of the movies and what pulls this absurd premise together.

I did of course watch the original with Charlton Heston decades ago and enjoyed it for the time period schlock it was and then one sequel out of morbid curiosity but that's about it before now.

I enjoyed them but I was in the mood for them so I'm glad I didn't watch them when they came out- I mean you gotta really be invested in the dramatic impact of watching two apes sign at each other sometimes.
The other strength is that the stories are simple- human arrogance does science and capitalism wrong, ruin society, now apes are the heroes.

Probably the second one was the best because it introduces more apes including one that is in conflict with the main one offering opposite goals. There is this one scene where this ape infiltrates a human guard checkpoint by acting like a goofy circus monkey to disarm them both figuratively and literally and you just know the turnaround is coming and it's so effectively done I was actually really impressed.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I watched Rise of the Beasts again. Great Transformers movie, and the best of the new films, and much better than the Bayformers.

Reactions: gorfias

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Furiosa: A Mad Max Story

Not the single relentless chase of Fury Road, which I think is going to disappoint some people, but a sorta sweeping wasteland epic that lasts about 15 years and has lofty chapter headings with titles such as "The Pole of Inaccessibility". Not that it doesn't have some great action set-pieces, but the most awesome one happens halfway through the movie, and ending on a montage of the most exciting moments of Fury Road is a bold, bold choice.

A good comparison is to Beyond Thunderdome, which had the tall order of following Road Warrior's epic chase climax and opted for more of the same but also made room to build up the world while taking a more dramatic approach to storytelling. Note how Thunderdome too has its best sequence halfway through the film and nobody likes the back half of the movie as much.

A couple of dunces behind me were complaining about "too much CG" when the movie ended. Yes, there is more CG. A) It looks great. B) The movie doesn't rely on it, let alone abuse it. Learn to enjoy the CG. There's a shot in T2 where Arnie cuts across the flesh of his forearm and removes the skin as if it were a rubber glove. Would you walk out of the movie complaining that the arm was clearly fake because it was being held off-screen? Is Christmas cancelled?

Anya is great in it but she's also around for like half of the movie (kid Anya was good too). Hemsworth is also great playing a character with zero likability. You might think he's going to do one of those "love to hate" villains. No, he's just hateful. The casting is generally great and I missed the original Immortan's voice but they came up with a decent recast.

So again, not being Fury Road, and then contriving to connect to Fury Road, are the movie's biggest hurdles (unnecessarily so - the movie works fine on its own). But to summarize: it's a whole lot of damn fun and exciting, looks brilliant, the story and characters are compelling, would watch again in the theater. Miller knows what's up.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
A couple of dunces behind me were complaining about "too much CG" when the movie ended. Yes, there is more CG. A) It looks great. B) The movie doesn't rely on it, let alone abuse it. Learn to enjoy the CG. There's a shot in T2 where Arnie cuts across the flesh of his forearm and removes the skin as if it were a rubber glove. Would you walk out of the movie complaining that the arm was clearly fake because it was being held off-screen? Is Christmas cancelled?
Yeah, but that's an in-camera effect as opposed to a digital one, with the result that it can look like it's not actually there. Blood squibs are obviously fake too in the countless 80's and 90's action movies, but there's a reason why digital blood squibs just don't have that same impact. The effect can look extra fake on top of the fact that we know it's not actually real.

I've only seen the trailer of Furiosa, but I could already tell there's far less happening in-camera, and with one of Fury Road's biggest selling points being those real in-camera stunts this is a bitter pill to swallow. I understand why there's more digital effects, seeing as Fury Road was such a nightmare to film, and I don't begrudge Miller from not wanting to die of stress and old age before finishing this movie, but I can't ignore this sense of disappointment neither.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Yeah, but that's an in-camera effect as opposed to a digital one, with the result that it can look like it's not actually there. Blood squibs are obviously fake too in the countless 80's and 90's action movies, but there's a reason why digital blood squibs just don't have that same impact. The effect can look extra fake on top of the fact that we know it's not actually real.

I've only seen the trailer of Furiosa, but I could already tell there's far less happening in-camera, and with one of Fury Road's biggest selling points being those real in-camera stunts this is a bitter pill to swallow. I understand why there's more digital effects, seeing as Fury Road was such a nightmare to film, and I don't begrudge Miller from not wanting to die of stress and old age before finishing this movie, but I can't ignore this sense of disappointment neither.
I just rewatched both trailers and I don't think Furiosa looks much phonier than Fury Road's. In the movie the CG that stood out to me was a couple of green screen shots near the beginning, not even action scenes (kid Furiosa in the woods, Furiosa's mom driving a bike up to the camera). After that nothing ever really took me out of the movie. I'm sure the big action set-piece in the middle is made up of composite shots, because logistically how the hell would you coordinate all that (no spoilers), but even if it was shot separately everything looked in-camera to me.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
So again, not being Fury Road, and then contriving to connect to Fury Road, are the movie's biggest hurdles (unnecessarily so - the movie works fine on its own). But to summarize: it's a whole lot of damn fun and exciting, looks brilliant, the story and characters are compelling, would watch again in the theater. Miller knows what's up.
You know... if you think about it, George Miller has an amazingly consistent track record. Like, his worst is basically a regular directors average. Sure, he's not the most prolific for how long he's been around but that's probably because he only makes something when he's confident in the idea of it. I kinda get why Hideo Kojima calls him god.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I just rewatched both trailers and I don't think Furiosa looks much phonier than Fury Road's. In the movie the CG that stood out to me was a couple of green screen shots near the beginning, not even action scenes (kid Furiosa in the woods, Furiosa's mom driving a bike up to the camera). After that nothing ever really took me out of the movie. I'm sure the big action set-piece in the middle is made up of composite shots, because logistically how the hell would you coordinate all that (no spoilers), but even if it was shot separately everything looked in-camera to me.
I may eat my words if I ever see the movie.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Does Anya-Taylor Joy have the same presence as Charlize Theron? She looks like 1/3 the size when out of character.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
You know... if you think about it, George Miller has an amazingly consistent track record. Like, his worst is basically a regular directors average. Sure, he's not the most prolific for how long he's been around but that's probably because he only makes something when he's confident in the idea of it. I kinda get why Hideo Kojima calls him god.
I get it too. Hideo spent most of his career honing his own fictional universe without ever really undoing anything. There have "only" been 5 Mad Max movies in 45 years and they're all somehow 1) Great, 2) Within the same continuity and 3) Directed by the same person.

Does Anya-Taylor Joy have the same presence as Charlize Theron? She looks like 1/3 the size when out of character.
She's good in this, but it's a very different approach to the character. For half the movie the character is played by a kid and when Anya takes over, the character has been passing for years as a scrawny boy, for the sake of survival. And that's more or less where the movie leaves her. She gets a cool robot arm but doesn't really get to bulk up.

(Which is a bit jarring when we get what appears to be scenes leading to Fury Road ASAP, and then footage of Charlize in the role.)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I may eat my words if I ever see the movie.
The effects aren't all as practical or in-camera as the ones in Fury Road, but I promise I'm a very picky eater when it comes to CG and no amount of it ruined Furiosa for me (nor did I think there was *that* much to the point it became a distraction).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A couple of dunces behind me were complaining about "too much CG" when the movie ended.
Those are fools who hate on anything to sound "smart and cool". Note how they never said the CG is terrible or bad. They're just talking shit, because they got nothing else otherwise. I'll check this out later next week.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
She's good in this, but it's a very different approach to the character. For half the movie the character is played by a kid and when Anya takes over, the character has been passing for years as a scrawny boy, for the sake of survival. And that's more or less where the movie leaves her. She gets a cool robot arm but doesn't really get to bulk up.

(Which is a bit jarring when we get what appears to be scenes leading to Fury Road ASAP, and then footage of Charlize in the role.)
Ah, ok, thanks.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Rewatched Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior. The Australian Outback is the de facto post-apocalyptic wasteland. Not that the apocalypse, whatever it was, had anything specifically to do with the environment (the big commodity is gasoline, not water like Fury Road). And just like Night of the Living Dead, 99% of all the genre tropes are more or less suddenly sprung and codified from one timely, low budget work of genius that also resulted more or less from the limitations of the production. It also ends on the definitive convoy chase, which was redone in Beyond Thunderdome but never quite topped until Fury Road.

Max supposedly only has 16 lines of dialogue (half of which are spoken in like the first 15 minutes) but they're closer to 36 by my count.
Best lines were from a single speech -

The Humungus: There has been too much violence. Too much pain. None here are without sin. But I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Give me your pump, the oil, the gasoline, and the whole compound, and I'll spare your lives. Just walk away. I will give you safe passage in the wasteland. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror.
[Soldiers start up their vehicles]
The Humungus: I await your answer. You have a full day to decide.
[Everyone drives away]

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
About the CG stuff, Fury Road is brilliant but let’s not kid ourselves.

As an addendum for good measure, since everyone was jizzing over how CGI-less TG: Maverick was -

One more for Tom Cruise -

Basically, while it's best to let practical effects do the heavy lifting, CGI can provide a good assist wherever appropriate.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country