Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The Swordsman (2021) 7/10

The classic martial arts/action movie that is awesome when they're fighting and boring when they're not (probably didn't help I had a dubbed version only which just enhances phone-scrolling tendencies).

This one's from Korea, takes place in the 17th century, and is a forced-into-early retirement warrior protecting his precocious daughter. Gets drawn into politics and battles mustache twirling villains. Excellent sword fighting scenes, with my favorite being where he fends off foes with a cane.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Caught up on two big ones

Fall Guy (2024)

Im honestly a little contrite that my opinion is somewhat left field on this one. All the reviews seem to be glowing, but I thought it was really borderline between good/fine.

I think the trailer more or less explains it, but Ryan Gosling a retired/traumatized stunt double who is dragged back into filming because the lost love of his life, emily blunt, is directing, but the producer has an ulterior motive, the star has disappeared and she needs him to hunt him down. Of course it doesn't make sense why you'd pay a stunt double to find his counterpart, but of course thats part of the twists and turns of the plot.

The problem is that when the movie is good, its really good, but when its not its kind of dull. A lot and I mean aaa lot of the writing is dedicated to the 150% level chemistry between Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt. When they are playing teenage love cat and mouse its mesmerizing, but when they aren't much of the dialog is kinda hohum.

The seeks to mesh Tropic Thunder and The nice guys, swinging wildly between trying to be a Ridiculous action comedy, clever mystery, and butter thick saccharine love story. It never really commits to any one thing, neither does it ever transition smoothly between tones. Its a lot of whiplash between "Hey this is fun", "oh were doing fear and loathing in las vegas", " oh I guess its notting hill now".

I stopped watching several times in the first 30 minutes of its 2 hour run time because I couldn't decide if I was even enjoying it enough to keep watching. It was tonally tiresome. Eventually however, especially around the first hour mark, it seems to find its groove and its smooth sailing and a lot of fun.

Im honestly like a 7-7.5/10. If you have a lot of patience its probably as critics think an 8/10.

Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare

Id been putting this off for a while because idk. I think I was expecting to be disappointed. Like it would be unfunny and ape Fast & furious movies or The kingsman movies. Neither of which I care for as I find them to be overly self-indulgent in their "look at me Im being naughty clap monkeys clap!" brand of action comedy.

I can't quite put in words how happy I was to be surprised and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was straight forward smart and witty, never once pausing for exhaustive lengths to make sure the audience acknowledges how clever it is.

I was even more surprised because I had no idea it was Guy Ritchie. There was actually two scenes where I needed subtitles because I couldn't quite catch what was said over the accents and thought aloud "what is this a Guy Ritchie film? but its not cockney or anything. Its filmed in a very American action style. Guy Ritchie is so strange in his pendulum swings between great films and utter misfires. Hes a regular Ridley Scott in that sense.

Solid 8/10 nothing really elevated it above a popcorn kickass spy/saboteur action comedy, but it does everything right and demands your attention the whole ride.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Caught up on two big ones

Fall Guy (2024)

Im honestly a little contrite that my opinion is somewhat left field on this one. All the reviews seem to be glowing, but I thought it was really borderline between good/fine.

I think the trailer more or less explains it, but Ryan Gosling a retired/traumatized stunt double who is dragged back into filming because the lost love of his life, emily blunt, is directing, but the producer has an ulterior motive, the star has disappeared and she needs him to hunt him down. Of course it doesn't make sense why you'd pay a stunt double to find his counterpart, but of course thats part of the twists and turns of the plot.

The problem is that when the movie is good, its really good, but when its not its kind of dull. A lot and I mean aaa lot of the writing is dedicated to the 150% level chemistry between Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt. When they are playing teenage love cat and mouse its mesmerizing, but when they aren't much of the dialog is kinda hohum.

The seeks to mesh Tropic Thunder and The nice guys, swinging wildly between trying to be a Ridiculous action comedy, clever mystery, and butter thick saccharine love story. It never really commits to any one thing, neither does it ever transition smoothly between tones. Its a lot of whiplash between "Hey this is fun", "oh were doing fear and loathing in las vegas", " oh I guess its notting hill now".

I stopped watching several times in the first 30 minutes of its 2 hour run time because I couldn't decide if I was even enjoying it enough to keep watching. It was tonally tiresome. Eventually however, especially around the first hour mark, it seems to find its groove and its smooth sailing and a lot of fun.

Im honestly like a 7-7.5/10. If you have a lot of patience its probably as critics think an 8/10.

Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare

Id been putting this off for a while because idk. I think I was expecting to be disappointed. Like it would be unfunny and ape Fast & furious movies or The kingsman movies. Neither of which I care for as I find them to be overly self-indulgent in their "look at me Im being naughty clap monkeys clap!" brand of action comedy.

I can't quite put in words how happy I was to be surprised and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was straight forward smart and witty, never once pausing for exhaustive lengths to make sure the audience acknowledges how clever it is.

I was even more surprised because I had no idea it was Guy Ritchie. There was actually two scenes where I needed subtitles because I couldn't quite catch what was said over the accents and thought aloud "what is this a Guy Ritchie film? but its not cockney or anything. Its filmed in a very American action style. Guy Ritchie is so strange in his pendulum swings between great films and utter misfires. Hes a regular Ridley Scott in that sense.

Solid 8/10 nothing really elevated it above a popcorn kickass spy/saboteur action comedy, but it does everything right and demands your attention the whole ride.
The similarities between this and Kingsman may be put down to Matthew Vaughn - director of Kingsman - being the producer on Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch which of course were the one-two punch combo that put Guy Ritchie on the map. Even Vaughn’s first film as director - Layer Cake - could be confused at first blush for a Guy Ritchie movie.

Reactions: Piscian

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
NEXT!

BOY KILLS WORLD

Do you like subversive 80s robocop inspired ultraviolence and comedy?

Do you like The Raid Redemption?

200w (8).gif

10/10 I lol'd while simultaneously grossed out.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Reactions: gorfias

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
NEXT!

BOY KILLS WORLD

Do you like subversive 80s robocop inspired ultraviolence and comedy?

Do you like The Raid Redemption?

View attachment 11233

10/10 I lol'd while simultaneously grossed out.
The hard part for me with that movie is all I hear when the inner monologue is going is Archer. Even some of the dialogue I’ve heard could have been sound bites from Archer.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The hard part for me with that movie is all I hear when the inner monologue is going is Archer. Even some of the dialogue I’ve heard could have been sound bites from Archer.
That and Coach McGurk. Though the former is intentional and the people marketing the movie know this.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
That and Coach McGurk. Though the former is intentional and the people marketing the movie know this.
I can't really explain it, but once the movie got rolling I glossed over the voice. I think part of it is that its well explained that he intentionally gave himself what he thought was a cool inner voice based on the arcade game announcer, but HJB also vocalizes shock and confusion really well. The movie revolves around him being deaf and mute trying to visually compute whats happening and idk it works perfectly.

I fucking died laughing at the scenes where hes reading that rebel guys lips and its utter nonsense but instead of them being lazy and simply calling it nonsense he actually visualizes what the guy is saying.

The whole movie was such a contrast to Fall Guy where they really committed to the bit and delivers so hard. At the same time it never beats a dead horse. Its already on my rewatch list.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I can't really explain it, but once the movie got rolling I glossed over the voice. I think part of it is that its well explained that he intentionally gave himself what he thought was a cool inner voice based on the arcade game announcer, but HJB also vocalizes shock and confusion really well. The movie revolves around him being deaf and mute trying to visually compute whats happening and idk it works perfectly.

I fucking died laughing at the scenes where hes reading that rebel guys lips and its utter nonsense but instead of them being lazy and simply calling it nonsense he actually visualizes what the guy is saying.

The whole movie was such a contrast to Fall Guy where they really committed to the bit and delivers so hard. At the same time it never beats a dead horse. Its already on my rewatch list.
Is this movie on a streaming service? If so, which one? The theater I go to is not playing it.

Reactions: Piscian

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Atlas - A-Rank sci-fi movie. I love it and is a nice entertaining romp. It's pretty hard PG-13 movie too. I am talking late 80s to mid 90s PG-13 brutal. There are humans that do get brutally killed. I do love the dynamic of Atlas and Smith. Reminds me of Titanfall 2.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So "A Rank" that's Rank A?
Yes.
Rank being slang for horrible in some parts of the world.
I know. I added a hyphen between A and Rank to make it less confusing. I know you probably didn't notice, and I don't blame you, but I letter rank my movie reviews. S-Rank being the highest and special occasions. You can thank Capcom and Devil May Cry for the influence.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Fuck this movie.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Pale Rider (1985)

Western directed by and starring Clint Eastwood. And boy, can you tell.

A small settlement of gold prospectors is threatened by an evil mining magnate for their land. Just as it seems like they're forced to abandon their home, a mysterious preacher comes into town, offering them his help. Also, he can almost single handedly take out six armed men and every woman falls in love with him upon laying eyes on him. Like I said. You can tell.

Okay, but no, let's assume the best of Eastwood and take a moment to think about what he was actually trying to do here. Clearly, he's playing a variation of his "Man with no name" from Sergio Leone's Dollars trilogy. Pale Rider was made in the mid 80's, at a time when westerns had mostly stopped being popular and the last time they had been popular, it was the more critical, more deconstructive variety made by the likes of Leone, Corbucci and Peckinpah. Pale Rider is very explicitly not that. It's clearly an attempt to reintegrate the visual and stylistic trappings of the deconstructive western back into a classical western narrative.

Which isn't to say that it isn't still essentially a self insert Gary Stu fanfiction of Clint Eastwood heroically saving a community from a predatory businessman like some sort of avenging angel, securing their love and adoration (while selflessly rejecting the women's advances) and riding off into the sunset. The 80's really were a period when humility was a sin, weren't they?

It's not that I think Pale Rider isn't good, of course. I'd say it's very solid, in fact. It's got just about everything one would expect from a solid Western. Well choreographed gunfights, a story about rugged self determination triumphing over the forces of big business and some breathtaking scenery. The movie is set in Northern California, though I don't know where it was actually filmed. But I do gotta say, those were some lovely mountain vistas they shot. Eastwood's overall approach to directing a western is a bit more cool, a bit less tense than that of Leone, delivering something considerably less cynical and more romantic.

Contextualized within the general evolution of the western movie it represents the return to the grander archetypes that doesn't contradict but rather seek to transcend criticism. It's kind of a consistent pattern with genre fiction, where sincerity gets reinterpreted as naivety, ushering in cynicism, which in turn paves the way for a more mature, more self aware form of sincerity. Pale Rider seems generally aware that it's rooted in its own genres cliches and telling more of a broad, archetypal story than a realistic one but I think it does that fairly effectively.

While there is an unmistakable element of vanity to the way Eastwood chose to direct himself in Pale Rider, I think it's still an enjoyable movie that works as a love letter to its own genre. I don't think it's anywhere near Eastwoods best work, but it's a pretty decent movie.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Oh I don't consider it a flaw by any measure, like I wanna see this movie, but it just feels a little weird to hear Archer anywhere other than Archer. Cost of having a memorable voice I guess.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Pale Rider (1985)

Western directed by and starring Clint Eastwood. And boy, can you tell.

A small settlement of gold prospectors is threatened by an evil mining magnate for their land. Just as it seems like they're forced to abandon their home, a mysterious preacher comes into town, offering them his help. Also, he can almost single handedly take out six armed men and every woman falls in love with him upon laying eyes on him. Like I said. You can tell.

Okay, but no, let's assume the best of Eastwood and take a moment to think about what he was actually trying to do here. Clearly, he's playing a variation of his "Man with no name" from Sergio Leone's Dollars trilogy. Pale Rider was made in the mid 80's, at a time when westerns had mostly stopped being popular and the last time they had been popular, it was the more critical, more deconstructive variety made by the likes of Leone, Corbucci and Peckinpah. Pale Rider is very explicitly not that. It's clearly an attempt to reintegrate the visual and stylistic trappings of the deconstructive western back into a classical western narrative.

Which isn't to say that it isn't still essentially a self insert Gary Stu fanfiction of Clint Eastwood heroically saving a community from a predatory businessman like some sort of avenging angel, securing their love and adoration (while selflessly rejecting the women's advances) and riding off into the sunset. The 80's really were a period when humility was a sin, weren't they?

It's not that I think Pale Rider isn't good, of course. I'd say it's very solid, in fact. It's got just about everything one would expect from a solid Western. Well choreographed gunfights, a story about rugged self determination triumphing over the forces of big business and some breathtaking scenery. The movie is set in Northern California, though I don't know where it was actually filmed. But I do gotta say, those were some lovely mountain vistas they shot. Eastwood's overall approach to directing a western is a bit more cool, a bit less tense than that of Leone, delivering something considerably less cynical and more romantic.

Contextualized within the general evolution of the western movie it represents the return to the grander archetypes that doesn't contradict but rather seek to transcend criticism. It's kind of a consistent pattern with genre fiction, where sincerity gets reinterpreted as naivety, ushering in cynicism, which in turn paves the way for a more mature, more self aware form of sincerity. Pale Rider seems generally aware that it's rooted in its own genres cliches and telling more of a broad, archetypal story than a realistic one but I think it does that fairly effectively.

While there is an unmistakable element of vanity to the way Eastwood chose to direct himself in Pale Rider, I think it's still an enjoyable movie that works as a love letter to its own genre. I don't think it's anywhere near Eastwoods best work, but it's a pretty decent movie.
This is one of those guilty pleasure movies for me, like a juicy Five Guys burger. It’s a very self-aware type of movie that’s like you said, rooted in cliches. Being made smack in the middle of the 80’s gave it every reason to be, or likely needed to be to get people into theaters for it. I’d go so far as to think Eastwood was inspired by the last Bond movie he’d seen and thought, “What if that was a western?” He even had Richard Kiel in it, to a much similar effect.