Gaming Showcase 2024

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Well, we can now officially call it whatever tf we want, since E3 is dead. As I have done it for the past few years, I will be covering nearly all major gaming showcases around SGF 2024. At the end of everything (which is looking to be June 9th) I will also give the best/worst awards on overall showcases, individual announcements, gameplay reveal, and the presenter.

You can find all the schedule here:

Starting with State of Play 2024, which is happening today

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Here we go, the beginning of State of Play

First, Concord. A 5v5 competitive arena shooter. It's basically OW in the outer galaxy. NO THANKS. Minus points for making me think this was gonna be a space cowboy game. I mean why give them quirky personalities if they are gonna constantly throw one-liner voicelines? I also REALLY HATE this trend of having narrative elements in a multiplayer game; The majority of the playerbase aren't gonna care.

GOW:R Is coming to PC! Fuck the hell yes. Coming with all your graphical and performance enhancements, as well as Valhalla DLC. Sep 19th, 2024!

New Dynasty Warrior game, this time with a nameless character, aka you.

Infinity Nikki. Ehh

Ballard of Antara. Looks like discount Elden Ring.

Skydance's Behemoth, a VR game where you get to kill giant monsters

Closer look at VR Alien game. Rogue Incursion. Looks terrifying

Marvel Rivals, an OW clone game. It actually does have its own gimmick of team-up attacks. Also, Galactus is a schoolgirl now (I wish I was joking)

Where Winds Meet. Unfortunately I've seen dozens of games alike. Will seriously need to impress me.

Until Dawn 2... Nope, Until Dawn remake. I mean I guess it's cool for having a PC release, but ehh....

Path of Exile 2. It looked great until it mentioned couch co-op and cross-play. That's actually kinda cool, since many games seems to forgotten the joy ob couch co-op

SH2 Remake. Ummm, environment looks great, but character models looks like ass. Also, Konami really just pulled "We have Resident Evil at home" move. Oct. 8th release

More look at MH: Wilds. Palicos now have voices. Using weapons while mounted, bring two of them to each hunt, and it continues to look great.

Astro bot, a 3d platformer that looks amazing visual-wise. So many colors and effects. It might rival Super Mario Odyssey.

Overall, it was an alright showcase. I mean there weren't too much new reveals, but at least some games looked great.

No, I am not inhaling copium from Bloodborne PC port not being announced

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Also, Galactus is a schoolgirl now (I wish I was joking)
Comic books have done weirding things for decades on in and nothing will change.

Astro bot, a 3d platformer that looks amazing visual-wise. So many colors and effects. It might rival Super Mario Odyssey.
Astro Bot actually gave me the most excitement there. I want to play that now!

New Dynasty Warrior game, this time with a nameless character, aka you.
That's nothing new. That's what the Empire Expansions are for. Looks like Omega Force pulled out all the stops for the visuals. I am sure the game will play fine, but I'm just waiting to see how they fuck this up with DLC.

SH2 Remake. Ummm, environment looks great, but character models looks like ass. Also, Konami really just pulled "We have Resident Evil at home" move. Oct. 8th release
I am probably gonna have to watch again, but they looked fine enough.

GOW:R Is coming to PC! Fuck the hell yes. Coming with all your graphical and performance enhancements, as well as Valhalla DLC. Sep 19th, 2024!
Saw that portion in the car! I know PC can't handle these games, but more power to people getting this game on PC! Have fun!

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I am probably gonna have to watch again, but they looked fine enough.
IDK, just feels like the character models need more time; It just doesn't look detailed enough? Also I guess Konami really didn't have much choice in re-designing the combat, but I swear I am seeing uncanny resemblance to RE games

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I am seeing uncanny resemblance to RE games
You might as well get on Alan Wake II, Daymare (made by the same people who were doing the fan made RE2R before Capcom politely asked them to stop), and Evil Within 1-2 cases for doing the same thing. Not to mention all the indie games copying old school RE, SH, or both.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
First, Concord. A 5v5 competitive arena shooter. It's basically OW in the outer galaxy. NO THANKS. Minus points for making me think this was gonna be a space cowboy game. I mean why give them quirky personalities if they are gonna constantly throw one-liner voicelines? I also REALLY HATE this trend of having narrative elements in a multiplayer game; The majority of the playerbase aren't gonna care.
Destiny?

Infinity Nikki. Ehh
I'm thinking this might be the break-out hit game from here, other than maybe Astrobot. It's got cozy vibes but with nice graphics. If it's a quality game it will find an audience.

No, I am not inhaling copium from Bloodborne PC port not being announced
Yeah that's just never happening?

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Okay, Destiny is one exception. But I think that's because Bungie did put decent effort into world-building and cinematics. Overwatch used to do this, but as we all know, not anymore.

Besides, multiplayer/pvp elements rarely fits well into whatever lore the game sets up; Why would heroes and villains work together?

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Okay, Destiny is one exception. But I think that's because Bungie did put decent effort into world-building and cinematics. Overwatch used to do this, but as we all know, not anymore.

Besides, multiplayer/pvp elements rarely fits well into whatever lore the game sets up; Why would heroes and villains work together?
Overwatch should've been a single player top priority with mp coming in second.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Overwatch should've been a single player top priority with mp coming in second. T
The original vision was Overwatch was going to be an MMO. But Blizzard couldn't figure out what to do with it, so they made Overwatch out of assets from the cancelled MMO.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The original vision was Overwatch was going to be an MMO. But Blizzard couldn't figure out what to do with it, so they made Overwatch out of assets from the cancelled MMO.
I know. Still should have been single player with possible co-op campaign. I would've made it a 3rd person brawler though. With these awesome character designs, it's a bit of a waste going first person.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
There was a big indy type showcase called Guerilla. Like 2 hours of games so I just remember:

- There was a game called Disco Samurai which... rad
- There's a game where you're an egg and it's physics based getting around puzzle stuff... as an egg.
- A couple that look exactly like Castlevania but are not actually Castlevania. We are at peak nostalgia for the franchise.
- Noir has become a very popular theme/setting

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah but like there was one that had this hilarious names that was something like Transylvania: Adventure of Simon Quest or something lol
I actually missed the showcase so I'll have to check it out later.

Last edited: