• Total voters

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Come back George Lucas, all is forgiven.
The attitude of every old/old-school SW fan everywhere. Crawling back on your knees. Me personally, I never hated Lucas for the prequel trilogy (except Episode II;fuck that boring movie), but we all know he is never coming back. Be careful for what you wish for. You all got what you wanted, so none of you have no room to complain. RoS's (2019) failure was trying to please everybody, yet shallowly backpedal to old fans at the same time. That pretty much killed any interests I had for Star Wars, aside from Visions.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The attitude of every old/old-school SW fan everywhere. Crawling back on your knees. Me personally, I never hated Lucas for the prequel trilogy (except Episode II;fuck that boring movie), but we all know he is never coming back. Be careful for what you wish for. You all got what you wanted, so none of you have no room to complain. RoS's (2019) failure was trying to please everybody, yet shallowly backpedal to old fans at the same time. That pretty much killed any interests I had for Star Wars, aside from Visions.
Dude, many of us SW would have been happy with no more SW movies after RotJ, period. The reason being that we understood that there was always going to be a high risk of disappointment, and merely tarnishing the memory. It's just Phantom Menace was worse than we had imagined.

Although Eps1-3 were ho-hum, by a guy who appeared to have mostly forgotten how to direct in the intervening 15 since RoTJ, at least he had a cohesive understanding and love for the material. Disney dropped SW eps 7-9 into the hands of a bland, nepo-baby hack who didn't even have that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dude, many of us SW would have been happy with no more SW movies after RotJ, period.
Now you say that. I'm sure plenty of you had that, thought before, but a majority of you were excited, just like the rest of us.

It's just Phantom Menace was worse than we had imagined.
No it wasn't. The movie is just a six out of ten. I liked enough as a kid and it's just fine now. Episode II Is the only one I actually hate because I find it so boring. III I genuinely love.

Although Eps1-3 were ho-hum, by a guy who appeared to have mostly forgotten how to direct in the intervening 15 since RoTJ, at least he had a cohesive understanding and love for the material.
Agreed.

Disney dropped SW eps 7-9 into the hands of a bland, nepo-baby hack who didn't even have that.
Once again: Be careful what you wish for. You all say that now but plenty of you were happy he sold off the franchise, or felt disney could do it much better than him. Not you Specifically, but plenty of the fans crying and raging over the prequels.

Double Toasted were literally the very few that cacalled t a problem with Disney when they even started and pointed out how they never had a overall plan and were going about the seat of their pants.

Last edited:

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Once again: Be careful what you wish for. You all say that now but plenty of you were happy he sold off the franchise...
Please pay me the minimal respect of treating me like an individual with my own opinions, rather than bitching on at me as if I were part of your imagined "SW fan" hive mind.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Please pay me the minimal respect of treating me like an individual with my own opinions, rather than bitching on at me as if I were part of your imagined "SW fan" hive mind.
I did treat you as it individual and I still do. Did you miss the part where I said not you specifically? It still doesn't change the fact that a majority of the Star Wars fans got all excited and happy the moment george lucas sold the rights to disney. Believing everything will be revolutionary and go right one hundred percent of the way. Or that their true childhood will live again and all that bull crap. I am not accusing you of all of that comma but there's plenty of fans that did this and you know it. Disney and those that make this franchise their entire identity did it to themselves. They all share blame, but don't want to admit it or downplay it. They can have the hell they createed for themselves. I'll continue to be somewhere else much more better and interesting.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Fullmetal Alchemist, Live Action Trilogy (2017 - 2022)

A Japanese trilogy of live action movies adapting the Fullmetal Alchemist manga by Hiromu Arakawa.

Having seen the Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood anime earlier this year, that stands as probably the definitive adaptation of the manga, I ended up checking out this trilogy of live action movies out of interest. I'm gonna be treating them as a single work here, as they are all directed by Fumihiko Sori and seem to have been shot practically back to back, the final two having been released the same year.

First things first, there isn't any good reason for this to exist. If you haven't seen the anime or read the manga, you're probably not going to care about it in the first place, let's be honest. It almost feels like a no brainer to point this out, but this has neither the budget, nor the runtime to adapt the source material in an even remotely comprehensive way. And if you're reading this, expecting me to tear it to shreds for its inevitable shortcomings in regards to visual effects or casting, or do some funny, not at all offensive, shtick about why these movies set in a place based on turn of the century middle Europe have an all japanese cast, you've come to the wrong place. I'm gonna look at this with as little prejudice as possible. Take it or leave it.

So, these movies once again retell the story of Edward and Alphonse Elric, two brothers who have lost parts, or all, of their bodies after performing an ill begotten ritual to resurrect their mother, uncovering a sinister conspiracy controlling their nation and fighting it alongside their allies in the military. The anime was around 60 episodes long, which adds up to around 28 hours of television. The movies add up to a bit over 6 and a half hours. And, mind, the anime series already had extremely tight pacing with little to no filler. In other words, any shorter adaptation couldn't exactly trim the fat, because there is practically no fat. Which makes the production of these movies a bit of a quixotic undertaking by their very nature.

So, let's start off by giving credit where credit is due. While the trilogy doesn't match the source material, one can't accuse it of not respecting it. There is a tremendous amount of sincere effort made to replicate character designs, set designs and shots from the source material as closely as the budget would allow. Where the first movie still frequently stumbled and fet like a proof of concept much of the time, from the second one onward a tremendous effort is made to maintain fidelity to the original. It genuinely brought a smile to my face how many of the characters looked like the spitting image of their animated counterparts and how well their actors managed to translate their mannerisms. It displays the same kind of confidence in the source material I praised in the american One Piece adaptation. Rather than changing major parts of its visual identity because they might look silly in live action, it has the confidence to say "Yes, they do look silly in live action... and that's fine." I simply don't think it's an inexcusable fauxpas for an adaptation to invoke its original medium, as a matter of fact, I think sometimes it's a virtue.

Now let's address the elephant in the room, the story. It is very much a cliffnotes version of the source material. And there is sort of an interesting progression there. I described the first movie as feeling a bit like a rough proof of concept. It's definitely where it deviates the most from the original, shuffling around some plot points and making a half hearted effort to be self contained. The second movie is probably where the trilogy peaks, a relatively successful beat for beat recreation of its corresponding segment of the original. However, the second movie also ends about one third into the story of the source material, leaving the final one with a lot of ground to cover, which is where a lot of its earlier decisions start to catch up with it. The third movie is where a lot of characters that haven't been introduced suddenly become important, a lot of vital connective tissue is relegated to happening off screen and a lot of the climactic pay off comes out falling flat because the buildup is not or just barely there. Which... well, at that point it sorta barely keeps itself together as it sputters over the finish line.

So, this is gonna sound like I'm damning the movies with faint praise, and it is, but I'd say this movie trilogy was about as good as it could have been, considering the circumstances. There is little point in speculating about how good a hypothetical five season high budget prestige television series based on FMA theoretically could have been. This was a humble japanese three movie production that could contain the entirety of the story about as well as three teacups could contain a barrel full of beer. Yes, there's no point in consuming it this way, but it's neither the cups', nor the barrels, nor the beers fault. I feel they did their best with what they had and it came out about as well as it could have. It falls short of being genuinely good but looking at something like the Netflix Death Note movie or the Cowboy Bebop series you have gotta give it credit for all the bullets it managed to dodge and all the things it did get right.

Although Eps1-3 were ho-hum, by a guy who appeared to have mostly forgotten how to direct in the intervening 15 since RoTJ, at least he had a cohesive understanding and love for the material. Disney dropped SW eps 7-9 into the hands of a bland, nepo-baby hack who didn't even have that.
Let's be fair here, Disney dropped eps 7 & 9 into the hands of a bland, nepo baby hack who didn't even have that. Rian Johnson single handedly tried to use the one chance he had to redeem the trilogy, having to build his installment from absolutely nothing and having it walked all over as soon as it was out of his hands. Episode 8 wasn't great or anything, but there's a huge chasm of quality between it an the other two movies and it's hard not to look at Johnson as the tragic hero of this story.

Also, there is the fact that 9 was originally supposed to have a different director too, and he did turn in a screenplay for it. Which wasn't particularly good, but it would still have been a lot better than Sky of Risewalker.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The Book of Clarence (2023) 6/10

A comic-drama religious epic, this movie is really a loving tribute to the biblical epics of Hollywood's golden age (10 Commandments, Ben-Hur, etc), but from a black perspective.

The plot- as it were- is basically Monty Python's Life of Brian.

The good: the cast. Lakeith Stanfield heads a group of some of the most charismatic and charming black actors (as well as a couple of beloved white ones) and they eat of this script like it's their last meal.
Visually it's a treat but mostly if you know what they're referencing, both biblically and cinematically.

The bad: it's a movie that references a lot of Important Subjects but I don't think it really does anything with them other than like "hey you should know we remember police injustice is a thing." There are a few funny moments for sure but there's no cleverness or new unique points so it all just comes off like a shopping list of.. things. I feel like it wanted to be a poignant emotional drama AND a cutting satire but each thing interfered with the other to make a lukewarm mush.

Overall one of those movies that is enjoyable to watch as you're watching it (and Stanfield is an automatic watch for me any time) but then it's over and shrug your shoulders and forget about it.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
And I forgot to post this last night.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Inside Out 2 - 10/10

I loved it as much as I loved the first one, Riley is one their best realised characters and her parents are genuinely great side acts.

Also I liked that the trailer was designed to make you think the popular girls were a typical American High School ***** Posse who are leading Riley astray when in fact it is none of those things, just Riley's anxiety creating situations that don't exist and moving in a feedback loop.
Like Sadness from the first one, Anxiety made me so angry/frustrated lol. The part where she’s kinda frozen in a negative feedback loop or whatever in the penalty box was pretty peak Disney drama though.

Reactions: Gordon_4

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, I didn't hate the SW sequels that much. Sure, they weren't good, but they weren't so awful that they magically retcon the prequels into being good either.

OTOH, I'm not really that invested into SW, or any franchise, really, because this sort of thing keeps happening.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Like Sadness from the first one, Anxiety made me so angry/frustrated lol. The part where she’s kinda frozen in a negative feedback loop or whatever in the penalty box was pretty peak Disney drama though.
I think having Anxiety go all Flash in the speed force so fast they’re standing still was a really good visual metaphor for the internal representation of an anxiety attack. Along with the (as I understand it) very accurate outward signs Riley displays, just to drive the point home.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Eh, I didn't hate the SW sequels that much. Sure, they weren't good, but they weren't so awful that they magically retcon the prequels into being good either.
Don't you know that's how the world works now?

- The Star Wars prequels were actually good now that current Star Wars is such a coporate husk.
- The Matrix sequels were actually good, because the 4th movie wasn't well received.
- The Amazing Spider-Man movies were actually pretty good, because look at Spider-Man: No Way Home and Andrew Garfield and how he caught Zendaya.

I think even the Bayformers movies have been getting some nostalgia spitshine.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011

- The Star Wars prequels were actually good now that current Star Wars is such a coporate husk.
- The Matrix sequels were actually good, because the 4th movie wasn't well received.
- The Amazing Spider-Man movies were actually pretty good, because look at Spider-Man: No Way Home and Andrew Garfield and how he caught Zendaya.

We are only a couple of years away from Twilight being reappraised as a great classic romance.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

I would have gone with how The Hobbit fixed any problems with LotR, and how Rings of Power fixed The Hobbit.

Or, how modern action films make us appreciate the 80s, though not quite the same.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
We are only a couple of years awaey from Twilight being considered a great classic romance.
I would have gone with how The Hobbit fixed any problems with LotR, and how Rings of Power fixed The Hobbit.

Or, how modern action films make us appreciate the 80s, though not quite the same.
We are fucking starved for actual culturally relevant entertainment from Hollywood. Thanks Netflix and Disney.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Describe such a piece of entertainment to me.
Something that sticks in the collective conscience. Not necessarily something of good quality even, just something that has an identity. The reason many people look back on the Star Wars prequels and the Matrix sequels so foundly now - despite those movies being massive disappointments when they came out - is because movies now have largely been drained of a solid feel or idenity thanks to overfranchising, nostalgia milking, and cheap original streaming movies being churned out. This isn't something that has only started recently, but it is what was recently reached critical mass.