The Defending Joe Biden Mega-Thread

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
But since when has the majority voted for someone/something that made the country so horrible to live in that you get so mad about it? Over time, things have gotten better (not at the speed you would like obviously), not worse. If things have legit gotten horrible because of how people voted, then it's an example of democracy just not working.
Any system that is imperfect will have examples of it not working as it should. And and awful lot of complaints about democracy not working is about how it's becoming undemocratic.

EDIT: Should have been "And an", not "And and" in the second sentence.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Any system that is imperfect will have examples of it not working as it should. And and awful lot of complaints about democracy not working is about how it's becoming undemocratic.

EDIT: Should have been "And an", not "And and" in the second sentence.
Both parties are two sides of the same coin. It's not a 2-party system, you can vote other people in effectively voting out both parties. It's on the people to vote parties out if they suck.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
But since when has the majority voted for someone/something that made the country so horrible to live in that you get so mad about it?
The Tories in the UK just had one of their worst elections ever; that is mostly attributed to mismanagement by the Tories.
If things have legit gotten horrible because of how people voted, then it's an example of democracy just not working.
Good thing then that the definition of "horrible" in that case includes what everybody thinks of the situation. Unlike another form of governance where the ruler is dependent on a smaller group's goodwill, where they can mostly ignore the larger group.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The Tories in the UK just had one of their worst elections ever; that is mostly attributed to mismanagement by the Tories.

Good thing then that the definition of "horrible" in that case includes what everybody thinks of the situation. Unlike another form of governance where the ruler is dependent on a smaller group's goodwill, where they can mostly ignore the larger group.
And that's making the UK horrible to live in?

Horrible is always subjective. I'm not asking for objective proof that something is horrible, just asking if said person thinks it is indeed horrible.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
If that Brit Monkey video I saw is anything to go by, yes. Though he did not let the other parties off the hook.
Horrible is always subjective. I'm not asking for objective proof that something is horrible, just asking if said person thinks it is indeed horrible.
"said person"? What?

Are you asking if people vote for different parties if they attribute current dissatisfactory conditions to whichever party is in charge? I took that as a given.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
I realize we aren't technically democracies in that regard. Democracy is used as short-hand for our system like how the dems say this election is to "save democracy" or the Washington Post tagline "democracy dies in darkness".
not just a technicality, they're not even close.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
It's over if Biden doesn't improve his poll numbers. We have already passed the candidate filing deadlines in multiple states. It's Biden/Harris or it's fighting another fight to get ballot access. The Supreme Court played its game well. They purposely stalled the decision so that Biden and co can't switch candidates. The Republicans on the Supreme Court are pragmatic enough to know that backstabbers aren't treated well in history. So they repaid Trump and the Republicans for putting them on the Supreme Court.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008

I suppose he has no reason to care since the old fuck's gonna be dead before any of the consequences come down on us.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
The "DEMOCRACY is on the line in the most important election in our life" and evidently the only one who can possibly win and save The United States of America is a man whose brains have turned into tapioca pudding
apparently what it's really about is Joe Biden doing the best he could. Winners participate!

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
The "DEMOCRACY is on the line in the most important election in our life" and evidently the only one who can possibly win and save The United States of America is a man whose brains have turned into tapioca pudding
Is has been obvious for some time that hardly anyone is voting for Biden and everyone is voting for/against Trump.

Reactions: tippy2k2

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

The Tories got into power with the policy of austerity. It was meant to turn the budget around but all it did was increase debts. Because austerity is a lie and is not based on reality. It doesn't save money, it creates debt through economic destruction

There are so many food banks now as the average low pay worker can't afford food. This wasn't a problem 20 years ago

The British people, generally, were willing to give up part of their own wages to help the budget. But once they realised that their sacrifices were pissed away... well they're trying something 'new'

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
It's over if Biden doesn't improve his poll numbers.
Honestly the American electorate is so spineless.

''Yes by now we know Trump is unable and unwilling to cover, yes we know he raped a 13 year old and of course we know he tried overthrowing the state last time and has a project to dismantle democracy. But just don't WANT doing the bare minimum to prevent this....and no we won't give you an argument as to why!''

That's the American electorate in a nutshell. Goodness I think I even respect the fascists or Trump's loony cult more at this point.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Honestly the American electorate is so spineless.

''Yes by now we know Trump is unable and unwilling to cover, yes we know he raped a 13 year old and of course we know he tried overthrowing the state last time and has a project to dismantle democracy. But just don't WANT doing the bare minimum to prevent this....and no we won't give you an argument as to why!''

That's the American electorate in a nutshell. Goodness I think I even respect the fascists or Trump's loony cult more at this point.
This is part of the major reason I think this country is about to be toast. Whether it is Trump or someone later down the line, SOMEONE is going to get into power who will decide "You know what, I like having power and I think I'm just gonna go ahead and keep it". The people who are supposedly the Defenders of Democracy have zero will or desire to do anything to reign in any of this ish. If Biden somehow wins (or does us all the favor of dying so they can replace him), Project 2025 will just become Project 2029. This tweet has absolutely nailed The Democrats back in 2018 and has somehow just become MORE true as time has gone on...

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
If that Brit Monkey video I saw is anything to go by, yes. Though he did not let the other parties off the hook.

"said person"? What?

Are you asking if people vote for different parties if they attribute current dissatisfactory conditions to whichever party is in charge? I took that as a given.
Haven't these elections in Europe just happened and the current winners not even taken power yet or just been in power for a very short time? How could things have actually gotten horrible then?

No, more so trying to make the point that what people are saying is horrible is merely hyperbole. Or if they do think something is indeed legit horrible, then they would have to believe democracy doesn't work.

not just a technicality, they're not even close.
I know the difference, I'm just using the word as the media has used it. Though full-on democracy is probably worse because the average person isn't paying attention to a lot things to vote knowledgeably on most things. It's like how people are mad that judges are political appointees when like no one is following judges and knows how good/bad any of them actually are.

It's over if Biden doesn't improve his poll numbers. We have already passed the candidate filing deadlines in multiple states. It's Biden/Harris or it's fighting another fight to get ballot access. The Supreme Court played its game well. They purposely stalled the decision so that Biden and co can't switch candidates. The Republicans on the Supreme Court are pragmatic enough to know that backstabbers aren't treated well in history. So they repaid Trump and the Republicans for putting them on the Supreme Court.
What are you going on about? The Supreme Court made it so they can't replace Biden? What?!?! Stalled what decision? No one was forcing the democrats to run Biden again and it was clearly apparent Biden isn't mentally capable anymore (and that's not some recent development either), and they tried to say Biden is fine and his obvious mental deterioration was just "cheap fakes". The democrats choose to run Biden again. I'm pretty sure the democrats can replace Biden in the event that he decides to step down.

The Tories got into power with the policy of austerity. It was meant to turn the budget around but all it did was increase debts. Because austerity is a lie and is not based on reality. It doesn't save money, it creates debt through economic destruction

There are so many food banks now as the average low pay worker can't afford food. This wasn't a problem 20 years ago

The British people, generally, were willing to give up part of their own wages to help the budget. But once they realised that their sacrifices were pissed away... well they're trying something 'new'
According to food insecurity stats, only 2% more households are food insecure in the UK than in a the US. I don't know much about the UK since I don't live there, but I'm guessing it's not horrible.