The Defending Joe Biden Mega-Thread

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I couldn't bring myself to watch the debate. I kept trying to watch in 5 minute increments, but every time trump would talk it was always off-topic rambling nonsense that honestly just made my head hurt. Joe just stammered/whispered over the same talking points he had on his little notepad. My ADHD took over and I just couldn't get through it. Though I'll admit I haven't been able to sit through a debate since like Romney v Obama?

The media outlets are all having a field day over Biden performance declaring the election lost. Could be, though this particular election was never about Biden v Trump. It was always Biden v fear of the destruction of America. Then again, it's very possible that even if Biden lost Dems would still retain & gain control of congress so anything Trump did would be temporary orders merely wreaking more societal unease, stock market spikes.

More concerning is that Trump would do everything in his power to end support for ukraine and/or undermine support efforts. It's been stated that since Russia has converted to a war economy, without US support Ukraine goes down in 6 months. Next is Estonia. Does it Matter? Idk anymore.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
And now the center is looking at his rally in North Carolina and screaming "We're so back!", as if it's not making it look like Biden is Sundowning hard. Anything to not have to deal with the problem.

Reactions: tippy2k2

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Have fun watching your country sink into the abyss because of your loyalty to a dithering old man.
Unfortunately its not that easy, when people think of another candidate instead of Biden, they don't picture anyone in particular, they just have a vague idea in mind of someone that would check most of their box. But once you actually have to pick someone, it gets a lot harder, most other candidate don't have the name recognition of Biden and are untested. Not to mention picking a new candidate tend to drive people away, especially among st the "holier than thou" lefty, cue back to when Sanders was defeated and some of his supporter vowed to not vote. its easy to say they should have switched, but that would not guarantee it would have worked.

Anyway, I really wish the USA was just some unimportant country and I could just shake my head as people vote for a wannabe dictator who's too lazy to even write his mein kampf and instead need his toady do it. But the USA is really a "too big to fail" country and this is really going to drag down the entire world (and thats the optimistic scenario).

Oh and while that shit is going, the supreme court is also stripping out a ton of important rights away.

Reactions: Agema

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Unfortunately its not that easy, when people think of another candidate instead of Biden, they don't picture anyone in particular, they just have a vague idea in mind of someone that would check most of their box. But once you actually have to pick someone, it gets a lot harder, most other candidate don't have the name recognition of Biden and are untested. Not to mention picking a new candidate tend to drive people away, especially among st the "holier than thou" lefty, cue back to when Sanders was defeated and some of his supporter vowed to not vote. its easy to say they should have switched, but that would not guarantee it would have worked.

Anyway, I really wish the USA was just some unimportant country and I could just shake my head as people vote for a wannabe dictator who's too lazy to even write his mein kampf and instead need his toady do it. But the USA is really a "too big to fail" country and this is really going to drag down the entire world (and thats the optimistic scenario).

Oh and while that shit is going, the supreme court is also stripping out a ton of important rights away.
Oh I know, but hey, might as well enjoy it seeing as we're utterly powerless to stop it, and the ones in power are too stubborn or evil to use their power positively.

Trump's likely to become president again, Europe is going far-right... The world can eat a giant shit-stained dick for all I care right now.

Reactions: meiam

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I watched minutes of the debate, but as soon as I saw Biden talk, I closed the tab on my browser. I get why Biden isn't on Adderall (It has side effects), but they shouldn't have had the debate in the first place. We have ambassadors who are totally unqualified to be one, and that's fine because their only job is public relations. The chief diplomat is the most important person in the embassy. We don't need solo strongmen as presidents who don't listen to other people's advice. Biden isn't the most important person in his administration just like Trump didn't care about the day-to-day affairs of his administration, and watched lots of of Fox News, played golf, and ate fast food. The most important people in Biden's administration are Blinken, Yellen, and his secretaries/admin. officers.

I am still going to vote for Biden just like in the primaries. And if you want the US to decrease food aid, dissolve or weaken NATO, more inflation & debt, poorer economic performance, poor responses to crises like COVID-19, climate denial, and policy via Twitter you can go vote for Trump.

Also, RFK is a nutcase who has had literal brain worms, hates vaccines/decades of scientific progress to get rid of deadly diseases, and also like the other two candidates wants to back Israel and support bombing civilians.

Reactions: Agema

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Oh I know, but hey, might as well enjoy it seeing as we're utterly powerless to stop it, and the ones in power are too stubborn or evil to use their power positively.

Trump's likely to become president again, Europe is going far-right... The world can eat a giant shit-stained dick for all I care right now.
It's almost as if you don't like democracy.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
So the conspiracy theory here is that this was a plot to tank Biden and replace him from the start. The first presidential debate ever held before the conventions, organized by the Democrats and CNN with specific rules that likely worked in Trump's favor(not having any sort of help on stage hurts Joe, having your mic turned off when it isn't your turn somewhat limits Trump's ability to look like a complete jerk), and the moderators didn't insert themselves in between the two like usual. And through all that, I would say Joe Biden was within the margin of error for reasonable expectations of him, and then the left all freaks out and starts asking how to get a different candidate as though he had literally wet his pants on stage... almost like it didn't matter if he was good or bad in the first place.

And Joe seemed to look sharper as the debate went on, makes me wonder if it wasn't the Benadryl they slipped him wearing off...

Reactions: gorfias

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's almost as if you don't like democracy.
I don't like Trump becoming president again, and Europe becoming far-right, therefor I don't like democracy? How does that make sense? Just because I like democracy I should like every outcome that is decided through democratic elections? That's really fucking stupid, you know that, right?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I don't like Trump becoming president again, and Europe becoming far-right, therefor I don't like democracy? How does that make sense? Just because I like democracy I should like every outcome that is decided through democratic elections? That's really fucking stupid, you know that, right?
Well, when you say "The world can eat a giant shit-stained dick for all I care right now", it doesn't seem like you really respect other people's opinions.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, when you say "The world can eat a giant shit-stained dick for all I care right now", it doesn't seem like you really respect other people's opinions.
If that's their opinion, then no, no I don't.

Again, why does that mean I don't like democracy?

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
"Respect" can mean different things depending on context. One example can be "I respect you (as an equal)" another can be "I respect you (as a superior)".

"Respect other people's opinions" can just mean respect of their right to have different opinions, while disdaining what those opinions happen to be.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I agree.

Biden has incumbency - on its own a large advantage - and things are going relatibely well for the USA. These alone were good reasons to keep him. However, the concerns about Biden's age were hardly new. Even when he ran there was an idea he was a one-term safety candidate to show off Trump. The last four years could have been spent grooming successors.

Replacing him after the primaries is also then a problem. The big value of the primaries is that they give a chance to heavily test all the candidates. Any skeletons in closets are likely to be revealed, their temperament, fluency, general competence are all likely to be examined so that whoever goes on to face the main election should be able to perform. Any replacement candidate is therefore a huge risk.

I watched minutes of the debate, but as soon as I saw Biden talk, I closed the tab on my browser. I get why Biden isn't on Adderall (It has side effects), but they shouldn't have had the debate in the first place. We have ambassadors who are totally unqualified to be one, and that's fine because their only job is public relations. The chief diplomat is the most important person in the embassy. We don't need solo strongmen as presidents who don't listen to other people's advice. Biden isn't the most important person in his administration just like Trump didn't care about the day-to-day affairs of his administration, and watched lots of of Fox News, played golf, and ate fast food. The most important people in Biden's administration are Blinken, Yellen, and his secretaries/admin. officers.
Also good points.

In a sense, the president doesn't need to be that competent just as long as he (or his wider office) are competent enough to put competent people in charge of running things. The wider team is often more important than the guy at the top. Biden at least ensures that government roles appear to be filled by earnest, serious people. Trump, however, looks likely to fill with posts with cranks and cronies. Unfortunately, again, despite being true this is not something people really think about in a presidential election.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
and things are going relatibely well for the USA.
Relative to other places, sure. Relative to a pandemic, sure. Relative to the USA in 2019, absolutely not. There are multiple major conflicts across the world that the US is giving support to that were stable before Biden, there are genuine problems with immigration that are getting worse, genuine problems with drugs that are getting worse, housing and car prices that are often literally double what they were 5 years ago, and civil unrest in every major city and university. My favorite demonstration of how good things got before covid is the BLM timeline: they rose to prominence under Obama and were highly active at the start of Trump's term, but by 2019, they just stopped. The wikipedia article on BLM just skips the year 2019 in their timeline. Things were so good, nobody was protesting.

There are certainly legitimate arguments about how much credit or blame you can give to Biden or Trump for any of that, but I don't think many people are saying things are going relatively well, and I don't think anyone of any politics is saying things are better than 5 years ago without being paid to.

Reactions: gorfias

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Not all opinions are equal and deserve equal respect.

This isn't kindergarten.
If that's their opinion, then no, no I don't.

Again, why does that mean I don't like democracy?
"Respect" can mean different things depending on context. One example can be "I respect you (as an equal)" another can be "I respect you (as a superior)".

"Respect other people's opinions" can just mean respect of their right to have different opinions, while disdaining what those opinions happen to be.
If one finds the majority's opinion to be so awful that they don't understand and respect it and actively hate it, then how can one be pro-democracy? Obviously, you then would have to think democracy doesn't work, would you not?

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
If one finds the majority's opinion to be so awful that they don't understand and respect it and actively hate it, then how can one be pro-democracy? Obviously, you then would have to think democracy doesn't work, would you not?
Because the democratic mechanism can make sure that the opinions of other people have a minimal impact on you personally and because alternative types of rulership can legitimize actions that mean that the people with awful opinions have their will enforced.