Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
A couple of points:

"The stress eventually landed Peter Jackson in the hospital with a perforated stomach ulcer, "

Psychological stress doesn't actually cause ulcers, this was disproved some years ago (by people deliberately infecting themselves with the real cause).

" Even one of the biggest battles, that of Minas Tirith, was at its core a large army assaulting a castle and a large army defending it, with swords and shields and catapults, but nothing more complex than that and a gunpowder barrel. "

The gunpowder was at Helm's Deep.

Otherwise, yeah, messy and sloppy looking after LotR. One wonders why they didn't have Arwen at Rivendell, if they were going to stick random other cameos in.

Reactions: BrawlMan

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Thanks for the corrections. I'll go fix them now. And funny you should mention that. Both Viggo Mortensen and John Rhys-Davies were asked to return in some way. JRD didn't want to go through the makeup process again, and Viggo was basically all "Uh...Aragorn wasn't in The Hobbit, and that doesn't make sense."
A couple of points:

"The stress eventually landed Peter Jackson in the hospital with a perforated stomach ulcer, "

Psychological stress doesn't actually cause ulcers, this was disproved some years ago (by people deliberately infecting themselves with the real cause).

" Even one of the biggest battles, that of Minas Tirith, was at its core a large army assaulting a castle and a large army defending it, with swords and shields and catapults, but nothing more complex than that and a gunpowder barrel. "

Otherwise, yeah, messy and sloppy looking after LotR. One wonders why they didn't have Arwen at Rivendell, if they were going to stick random other cameos in.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm sad and I watched a bunch of movies.

Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F (2024)

A fun movie and a decent sequel that is rife with memberberries but isn’t burdened by the grandeur of legacy and all that nonsense. It’s nothing amazing but who cares, I enjoyed it and smiled like an idiot the whole way through. Contrast with Coming 2 America, which only made me feel like an idiot. Axel's daughter resenting her dad was a weak angle but I've made my peace with it. I don't remember a movie where Eddie Murphy played the dad that didn't miss the dance recital.

Confess, Fletch (2022)

Jon Hamm, of all people, revives the Chevy Chase character. Much like Axel Foley, Fletch was a chaotic smartass who would bullshit his way in and out of places he shouldn't be and handed around fake names like Oprah gives cars. I'm not convinced Jon Hamm is the right fit for it. The plot is so low-stakes and the characters so broadly cartoonish that we never get any glee from Fletch one-upping them. Scenes are choppy and disjointed - humor plays like bad improv.

Five Nights at Freddy's (2023)

I can walk you through Inland Empire, but I didn't follow any of this.

Rollerball (1975)

In the future, corporations have taken over the government and devised a version of panem et circenses in the form of Rollerball, an uber violent sport that looks like roller derby crossed with that scene from The Northman. James Caan plays the star athlete, whose celebrity as an individual is beginning to worry his sponsors, so they're now pressuring him to retire (why can't they just retire him? They alredy control every other aspect of his life, including who he's married to). The movie has a wonky grasp of the setting and rules of its dystopia, which feels like a hazy send-up of Brave New World (with the director taking plenty of notes from Clockwork Orange). The three requisite action scenes at the beginning, middle and end are great in their clunkiness and brutality, and James Caan makes the whole thing memorable.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Aguirre, the Wrath of God, 6/10

This is one of Werner Herzog's collaborations with Klaus Kinski, from 1972. It follows a small band of conquistadors searching for Eldorado in the South American jungle, and their slow downfall as the harsh jungle takes its toll. It's a chaotic, very loosely structured narrative, which works both in its favor and against it. The seeming instability and incoherence of the narrative flow does a good job of getting the viewer into the mindset of the characters, where little makes sense, and things seem to happen without much rhyme or reason. But on the other hand it does just that: its flow is a bit clunky and uneven. It makes up for it with its feel of grit and authenticity though. Despite being made on a very small budget, it was filmed 100% on location, and you feel every bit of it. There's zero trickery or visual effects at play. It adds so much to the sense of peril and unease when you know that the people are actually on rafts in the middle of a flooded river for example.

Despite it being a pretty interesting film on paper, unfortunately the story behind it is much more interesting. The script was more of an outline at less than 3 pages, and the film was shot semi-improvisationally. Real life events, like the river flooding, were implemented into the story on the spot. At one point Herzog literally threatened to shoot Kinski because of his unstable behavior. Knowing trivia about it definitely adds to it, because without that knowledge it's kind of clunkily paced and meandering. But at the same time it is nonetheless a captivating, gritty film that could never ever be made today in the way it was originally.

Heathers, 7/10

This is a macabre 80s cult comedy classic about a clique of popular girls, out of whom 3 of 4 are named Heather. The non-Heather, played by Winona Ryder has had enough of them, and when Christian Slater's sinister bad boy J.D. rolls into town, they start killing them one by one.

This is very much in the vein of more subversive high school comedies like Mean Girls or Jennifer's Body. It eschews a lot of the tropes of its time, and depicts high school life with a raw, almost uncomfortable edge. Teenage love isn't depicted as pure and innocent, but confused, horny and messy. The most meaningless squabbles get blown completely out of proportion to disastrous results. J.D. isn't some misunderstood wounded puppy, but a straight up psychopath. It's quite funny and snappy, and well paced. It's not gonna rock your world, but given how easily comedies can age poorly, this one holds up damn well.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Love Lies Bleeding

A lesbian noir thriller that looks and plays like the perfect four-way intersection between Bound, Drive, Wild at Heart and Blood Simple. I don't think it's as great as any of those movies, but I do think the director has a unique vision and style that has nothing to do with imitation. It's vulgar but slick, trashy but evocative. I just think they overdo the surreal stuff, past the point the movie really needs it or benefits from it. Like Drive doesn't really need surreal imagery to have an oniric atmosphere, and if Ryan Gosling's character started having hallucinations that would only take me out of the strangeness, not emphasize it.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Reactions: gorfias
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
A couple of points:

Curious though, were they sure it wasn’t a contributing factor. Apparently the immediate cause is bacterial infection, but when looking at factors that increase risk of occurrence-
  • Smoking cigarettes or chewing tobacco
  • Drinking too much alcohol
  • Regularly taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like aspirin, ibuprofen, or naproxen
  • Being very ill, such as being on a breathing machine

At least a few of those could be coping mechanisms influenced by high levels of stress.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Curious though, were they sure it wasn’t a contributing factor. Apparently the immediate cause is bacterial infection, but when looking at factors that increase risk of occurrence-
  • Smoking cigarettes or chewing tobacco
  • Drinking too much alcohol
  • Regularly taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like aspirin, ibuprofen, or naproxen
  • Being very ill, such as being on a breathing machine

At least a few of those could be coping mechanisms influenced by high levels of stress.
Well, psychological stress can make any illness worse, so in that sense, sure.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I watched Ultraman Rising on Netflix. Honestly, I don't have much to say other than it's fucking amazing what Spider-verse and Arcane have done for the animation industry. This movie had absolutely no surprises or really anything interesting with the plot, but with some solid voice acting and gorgeous animation, I had a blast.

Reactions: gorfias

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Lifeforce

Alien meets The Thing in a lesser, sillier version of both movies. Penned by Dan O'Bannon, the opening replicates beat-for-beat his Alien screenplay, in which a group of astronauts decides to suit up and check out an abandoned, eerily organic spacecraft and bring back aboard the alien plague that will kill them off one by one. But instead of an eldritch Giger creepy-crawly they find a luscious naked chick with a memorable 34C rack ("The most overwhelmingly feminine presence I have ever encountered," says one character), who proceeds to suck off the lifeforce out of their bodies.

Most of the movie actually takes place in London, and the best part happens at a research center where scientists slowly put together how the whole space vampire thing works. "Space Girl" sucks you off until you look like a corpse, then 2 hours later you reanimate and suck off the lifeforce out of someone else. Rinse and repeat. The attempts at containing, understanding and gaining on the threat are easily the best part of the movie and are redolent of the perfectly logical and sensible (yet ultimately futile) scientific methods displayed in The Thing.

By the end everything has more or less devolved, unconvincingly, into a zero budget zombie pandemic/alien invasion. I think the main problem with the movie, other than the lack of a clear or likable protagonist, is that the rules stop making sense towards the end and the horror aspect is out the window as soon as you have your "monster" profiling her bodacious shadow on the walls ala Nosferatu. There's one good sequence involving blood being funneled out of a body into what's basically a blood hologram, but for the most part the effects are subpar, including those blue lightning bolts that were so fucking prevalent in 80s fantasy/sci-fi.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I watched the new Beverly Hill Cop sequel on netflix.

A surprisingly competent movie after what a complete disaster Coming To America 2 was.

The action is pretty silly, but in that old 90s comedy way where the main characters have insane plot armor and no one can aim. In a way it's quite charming rather than being a problem. There's a pretty fun chase in the beginning involving a snow plow, and a pretty neat sequence having to do with a helicopter later on that was quite unique (I don't think I've ever seen a helicopter fly that low in a movie).

Overall I would say it's worth a watch. There's some jokes and sequences that don't hit, but most are decent. It's lighthearted fun with a pretty good cast. Also, holy shit how does Eddie Murphy look so good for 63?