Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, when I said
Anyhoo, making another movie in a franchise so long after the previous one...that's usually a terrible sign,
about the previous film...this film is what I had expected it to be.

I agree about the awfulness, but I'd also add that they made the government department be evil for no reason. Ok, US government is bad and all, but in Predator 2, Agent Keyes went around looking sinister and being played by Gary Busey, but he's not doing anything dodgy. He refuses to tell Harrigan what's going on, but keeps warning him to stay away, which is fair enough.

Also, there's a scene in The Predator where the evil government guys speculates that the reason the predators are coming now is because humanity is going to go extinct due to global warming in a generation or two. The impending total extinction of humanity is treated as a solid fact, but not at all an important one. What?

I think this was to try and put a "message" about environmentalism in, but in a rubbish way. Same as the stuff about autism. Just...don't do that.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And Batman: Dead End?

It's way better than AvP 1 & 2 (the first movie I have a minor soft spot for) and The Predator. A great short film, but I prefer it to be an AU what if. AvP (Capcom) is the final canon story in the timeline as far as I'm concerned. The Capcom arcade game was based off of the original 1993 script before all the delays, push backs and re-writes.

Reactions: gorfias

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
As far as I am concerned, there is only Predator, Predator 2, Predators, and Prey.
We live in strange times. It used to be, when I was kid, that whatever sequel was made it was canon. It was part of the franchise. However, increasing as studios have been scavenging through IPs to mine any value it's becoming easy to just ignore "content". AVP1-2, The predator, are definitely among the age of "content" that I just kind of ignore. I feel like films like PREY aren't celebrated enough. Like JESUS CHRIST THEY MADE A WATCHABLE SEQUEL?????????? Let alone it actually being good. Such a rarity these days.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It used to be, when I was kid, that whatever sequel was made it was canon.
Even as a kid, I never 100% followed this. If a sequel was that bad or I felt they fucked up that much, I consider it non-canon or didn't exist in my eyes. I admit that this practice I really didn't start applying until I was 13, but if something sucked I would not acknowledge its existence.

Reactions: gorfias

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
So I put on my fedora and unintentionally watched an indie horror short film yesterday called Chime
(2024).

I have a habit of just downloading anything Asian horror so I just found this kinda randomly.

It follows a Culinary Teacher with aspirations of becoming a head chef as local french restaurant. One of his students however exhibits increasingly strange passive aggressive behavior.

Its short, only around 45 minutes, but it was pretty intoxicating if you like these kinds of slow burn existential horror films 7/10.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I vaguely recollect this film being why Sienna Guillory was unavailable for one of the later Resident Evil films. Could be wrong, though.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F on Netflix

It was OK. C. That is all.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Full River Red (2023)

Chinese historical drama about the murder of a foreign emissary at the court of prime minister Quin Huy during the Song dynasty. In case you're wondering, that would place it somewhere around the 12th century.

It's a rather good movie, until it isn't. Zhang Yimou, probably mainland China's primary director of big historical epics, sets up a paranoid little microcosm of intrigue and opportunism around the court of sickly prime minister Quin Huy and seeing all of that play out for a while is a very engaging experience. The murder of a foreign diplomat raises all manners of questions and a military officer and his deadbeat nephew are given the mission to investigate it, stirring a vipers nest of competing conspiracies, some of which they might be involved in, in some capacity.

There is an attempt at shakespearean grandeur to the whole thing, framing the petty bickering and backstabbing of the wealthy and powerful as a struggle for the very soul of the nation itself. And for a while it works quite well, its twisty, tense machinery of competing agendas keeping you guessing as to where it's all going. But around two thirds through it starts to run out of steam and then it keeps going. Boy, does it ever keep going. On face value, there is the problem of pacing. It starts of very tight and comes looser and looser as it keeps going, getting itself lost in unnecessary redundancies and relying more and more on characters arbitrarily making poor decisions so that the plot can move along.

On a more fundamental level, and do feel free to accuse me of missing valuable cultural context, the plot lost me completely once it was established what the main characters' goal actually was. Central to the climax of the movie is a poem, and a character being forced to recite it. And not being educated in Chinese history I can't say I have any idea why this poem is supposed to be such a big deal. I mean, I'm sure it's some foundational part of the chinese national identity or something, but to me the climax of this movie felt extremely arbitrary.

It's not that Full River Red isn't an interesting movie. I like a historical play with hundreds of extras in armor and horses and large sets as much as the next guy. I was fascinated with its idiosyncratic musical choices ( the soundtrack to this movie must be heard to be believed. I couldn't possibly convey some of the musical choices to you.). The bad guy had a pair of ninja geisha bodyguards, which was kinda sick. But the movie as a whole didn't stick the landing for me at all. The final act was built on what I presume are certain patriotic sentiments that I not only don't share, I don't even have any context for them.

There was a good bit of interesting stuff in Full River Red, in regards to conflicting loyalties and higher principles and I would be remiss not to point out than Shen Teng and Jackson Yee did a fantastic job playing the two point of view characters to the byzantine palace intrigue we get to follow. But the payoff to that whole intrigue, after subversions of subversions have been subverted and every twist has been twisted around itself at least twice, just felt really hollow and drawn out. I give Full River Red credit where credit is due but I did not walk away from it feeling like I had a very good time.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I find your rating a little confusing. Reading the review it seems like you landed on "solid" which doesn't read like 4/5 stars. Is there some discrepancy there? I only say that because your review listed more complaints than compliments.

For myself I I would have given more of a 3/5 if I'm feeling generous and in context. It's one of those micro-budget horror films that you sorta see the wires coming out of the frame on, but I found the story pretty neat and all the acting suitable for the end goal. My big miss would probably be that the special effects at the end are very rough and harken back to the stop motion ending of Evil Dead 1. Though if you're a horror nostalgist that might be a plus.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I find your rating a little confusing. Reading the review it seems like you landed on "solid" which doesn't read like 4/5 stars. Is there some discrepancy there? I only say that because your review listed more complaints than compliments.

For myself I I would have given more of a 3/5 if I'm feeling generous and in context. It's one of those micro-budget horror films that you sorta see the wires coming out of the frame on, but I found the story pretty neat and all the acting suitable for the end goal. My big miss would probably be that the special effects at the end are very rough and harken back to the stop motion ending of Evil Dead 1. Though if you're a horror nostalgist that might be a plus.
I was drawn in more by how the characters interacted with each other and felt real in that regard. I felt like the story was a bit rushed, but that was the only real issue I had with the movie, and that wasn't enough for me to ding it more than a star. The effects may have been a bit rough, but I felt drawn into the story enough to overlook that and just enjoy those people getting what they deserved.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States