Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
The Boys S4E6.

You know, I didn't think nothing would top the orgy scene in season 3. But here we are in season 4, going into some BDSM shit. I mean goddamn, props for the actors for actually going through with this, but holy crap that scene made me uncomfortable.

The plot twist at the end I didn't see coming, but guess it wasn't too surprising either.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The Outlaws season 3 5/10

I hope I have promoted and praised this show before because the first two seasons are some of the most delightful bit of television of recent years. It's about 7 very different people that are doing community service for various crimes and they end up in some drug dealing schemes, but they're all good and likeable people so it's like Breakfast Club for adults. Stephen Merchant is one of them and also a writer.

But I think they pretty much ran out of gas and while the third season was pleasant enough, since the cast is great and there are always some good lines or gags, they had to do dumb plot things to keep it going. It also doesn't help that one of the original members played by Christopher Walken didn't come back for this season except for one brief cameo.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I finally finished the first season of House of the Dragon, 2 years after release. It's incredible like I mentioned before. Brings me right back to the best days of Game of Thrones, and I've found myself sitting through the opening credits more often than not, because that damn theme song sets the stage and immerses the viewer like no other. Having finished the season my verdict of it being better than GoT ever was did not hold up, because the second half of the season is considerably more sprawling and complex. Especially in episodes 6 and 7 it felt like the story was taking huge leaps with things that could have carried multiple episodes (Daemon's wife is established, introduced, characterized and then killed off over the course of a single episode). I guess it's a double-edged sword: it can be at times hard to parse what is meant to be a point of focus (Daemon murdering his wife early in the season would seem like a huge plot point, but it's ultimately not), but on the other hand I had no idea where the story was headed. It's less of an A to B story, and more of a sprawling tapestry of alliances, motivations and relationships that ebb and flow over the course of the better part of two decades the season takes place over.

The core cast are all strong and interesting, and HotD feels like it leans even more into the moral greyness than GoT. There you at least had obvious villains like Joffrey or Cersei, but here almost anyone could be considered a hero or a villain depending on your point of view. And that perception can switch, and then switch back, which makes it constantly interesting. Aemond, for example, is first characterized as an obnoxious, entitled shit, but when he grows up he shows a surprisingly cool and perceptive head with a knack for politics, but also with a vindictive and sadistic streak. Almost every character has a laundry list of "but on the other hand" statements you could make, and every decision they make feels informed and justified by their characterization.

The show looks stunning. GoT's earlier seasons had to occasionally make do with a smaller budget, but here everything is given the grandiosity it deserves and the budget is out in full force in almost every scene. The sets, costumes, effects and locations all look absolutely top tier. I'm honestly astonished just how much the dragons are on display and how good they look. But it's not just the production, the cinematography, acting and music score absolute home runs as well. I was initially a bit reticent about the child actors, but they show up in only one episode, and their aged up versions are much better. As mentioned before, Paddy Considine is absolutely the star here, but only for part of the season. I didn't get the same kind of "wow" feeling from any of the performances in the later parts of the season, but that's more because there are so many more characters rather than the acting being weaker.

Overall it's a fantastic show, and I'm so happy I get to dive into the second season right away.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Grimm Variations - I finished and it's a great anthology series with wonderful animation. Due note that this anthology does get dark and serious depending on the episode. Though my personal favorite is The Town Musicians of Bremen. The western episode, because of how much fun it is. I do feel the second episode, Little Red Riding Hood, is the weakest, because you can already see the twist coming as soon as the Cinderella episode is finished. Each tale is a subversion or twist in some type of way. Though not all cases are super dark and twisted. Great job on this one CLAMP.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
TUGS - 10/10

Okay this is massive nostalgia hit for me. However, there's still some pretty good stuff here. The brain child of one of the main creators behind the television show of Thomas the Tank Engine, you're at the very least getting some amazing miniature work. Compounded by how difficult it was working with water. But also one of the guys who worked for Gerry 'Blow Shit Up Every Episode' Anderson (Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet etc) shows his mark with at least one episode - appropriately named "Munitions" - involving about a five or six minute explosion scene. Out of an episode that goes for 20 minutes. The music is also pretty damn good; with a great 'danger' peice seamlessly segues into a 'heroic moment' overture making several memorable appearances.

Now unlike Thomas who is a multi-media juggernaut and childhood institution in the English speaking world, Tugs never got beyond 13 episodes. The main reason is that its oddly dark for a kids show back when that didn't really connect with audiences as much as it does now and even loss so with the people who make these decisions.

But if you at all care, what we have is a 1920s set adventure about the Tugs who work for Captain Star in his Star Fleet (sci fi nerds may commence giggling) and his business rival Captain Zero and the Z Stacks in Bigg City Port (read: New York or San Francisco). No you never see these two, they appear only as megaphones sticking out of their harbour offices. The Star Tugs all look like blue collar workers with their flatcaps and accents associated with England's working classes - aside from team snob Top Hat and leader Hercules - and the Z Stacks all look and sound like gangsters. I'm not joking about that either, all their tugs are designed to look like they're wearing trilby or similar hats and more than one episode hints that Captain Zero keeps very rough company including a falling out with Australian gangster tramp steamer Johnny Cuba. And one of them sounds like Peter Lorre. Its a bit of an uneasy mix, because the dialogue and accents are very English, but the setting and most of the Tugs are American (San Francisco and New York harbour style tugs according to information on the show). Some even say the US Dub - Salty's Lighthouse - is a bit better because all the tugs sound like they're from New York and its surrounds and it fits much better with aesthetics. About the only thing that's aged poorly is Izzy Gomez; a Mexican tramp steamer who has a sombrero, hauls bananas and is a huge cheapskate. Like he's not awful as a person (ship?) but its just one stereotype after another that you're reminded "Oh yeah, the 80s".

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Caught up in HotD season 2. It’s all visually splendid but not sure what to make of some of these characters’ motivations yet. A lot of it feels like it’s solely meant to service a script for things to come, rather than being intriguing for the sake of itself.

Was it Rhaenys’ premeditated intent to be the sacrificial lamb of sorts as a wake-up call to Rhaenyra for what dragon war entails? Did Aemond intend to roast Aegon and treat it as collateral damage? Does Daemon’s guilt trip have him actually enjoying his futile stay at Harrenhal? How long will we have to suffer Cole’s inconsequential display of incompetent dbaggery?

The Red Dragon and the Gold is by far the season’s highest rated episode on IMDb, but it’s kinda teetering on the cusp of only feeling half-earned via spectacle much like GoT’s latter seasons. If only I had time for it, sometimes I think I need to read the books for added insight, because it seems the only difference as to why those episodes were rated so low is because they were mostly winging it (no pun) ahead of time, for better or worse.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
We Are Lady Parts, season 2 8/10

In the vein of Parks & Rec and the Good Place, this is a lovely little "feel good" show, a comedy about 4 mulsim women in London in a punk band. Our initial protagonist is a good-two-shows folk fan guitarist who gets roped into the band.

Of course the "DEI WOKE IS EVIL" crowd need not apply as this show is about the joy of seeing women friends navigate their religion, culture, artistry and lives. It does this with extreme heart and silliness- near Family Guy style gags and a bit of hyper-realism.

Season 2 ups the production game a bit with some full-on music video style numbers which is a nice reward because one's enjoyment of all this will be based on the one's appreciation of the characters.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
We Are Lady Parts, season 2 8/10

In the vein of Parks & Rec and the Good Place, this is a lovely little "feel good" show, a comedy about 4 mulsim women in London in a punk band. Our initial protagonist is a good-two-shows folk fan guitarist who gets roped into the band.

Of course the "DEI WOKE IS EVIL" crowd need not apply as this show is about the joy of seeing women friends navigate their religion, culture, artistry and lives. It does this with extreme heart and silliness- near Family Guy style gags and a bit of hyper-realism.

Season 2 ups the production game a bit with some full-on music video style numbers which is a nice reward because one's enjoyment of all this will be based on the one's appreciation of the characters.
I'll check it out with the Parks and Good Place comparisons.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
SupaCell - Netflix

A British 6 episode show about a group of people in South London who develop super powers. The super powers come from a mutation of sickle cell, a genetic disorder that disproportionately affects black people, and so everyone gaining powers is black.

Overall the show is basically "what if we did Heroes, but black and overall less interesting?" There just isn't much that's unique here. The main character, Michael, even has all the same powers as Hiro Nakamura (space time manipulation), and takes on a similar role, accidentally going through time to the future, witnessing future events, and attempting to stop them once he returns to the present.

I think my biggest problem with the show is how unlikable most of the characters are. Most of the show centers around a gang feud, and 3 of the 5 protagonists are drug dealers as is the main antagonist. It seems kind of racist to me that a show where all the main characters are black makes a disproportionate number of them gangsters, drug dealers, or trashy gang groupies. Also every 4th word out of people's mouths is "bruvva."

It's kind of interesting to watch a British show that is mostly about black immigrants from the Caribbean (since most shows or movies set in London tend to completely ignore that demographic), but then it seems to go out of the way to make them all seem like unlikable criminals.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Yeah that was another thing. Although I'm not sure how we were supposed to understand that, since old Blackthorne looked like he was holding on to Mariko's crucifix. I thought he threw that into the lake though.
I thought that was supposed to be Blackthorne's dream rather than a flash-forward. Thinking about what his life and legacy may turn out to be if he does end up going back to England.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
The Boys S4E7

Well holy hot damn, the plot finally seem to be moving! Although I do think they are dragging out the whole "it's about to blow" vibe.

I found their version of shapeshifter to be interesting; Rarely do we get to see a visceral/bloody sequences of someone transforming.

While the story is definitely detracking from the comics, I am still hoping they keep the other homelander plotline

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The Boys S4E7

Well holy hot damn, the plot finally seem to be moving! Although I do think they are dragging out the whole "it's about to blow" vibe.

I found their version of shapeshifter to be interesting; Rarely do we get to see a visceral/bloody sequences of someone transforming.

While the story is definitely detracking from the comics, I am still hoping they keep the other homelander plotline
Kind of crazy that it's leading up to a presidential assassination plot. I bet Amazon will precede the episode with some warning/message.

Butcher has become a caricature of himself but it's just too fun to watch.

I honestly just plum forgot about the history between Hughie and the vice president and this relationship is such an important part of the season. Oh well.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Star Trek Prodigy Season 2 - 10/10

MOAR!

But in all seriousness, great season. Possibly some of the best use of time and multiversal shenanigans that isn't Spider-Verse and the Prodigies even manage to make a new friend or two outside their group which is nice. Some nice deep lore cuts for both Voyager and TNG fans, and as usual, great ship designs.

Ends on a sort of bitter-sweet note but its got the right kind of "Fuck you I do what I want" Janeway energy to it.

But yeah, I'd love a third season that's either directly after season two or a ten year time skip. Easy either way.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I thought that was supposed to be Blackthorne's dream rather than a flash-forward. Thinking about what his life and legacy may turn out to be if he does end up going back to England.
Hmm I guess? The timing of it was odd though, I felt like he pretty much abandoned the idea of returning to England when he decided to shack up with Mariko. The whole crucifix thing I assume was meant to show that he would regret leaving her behind and would never forget about her if he did escape Japan, but she was already clearly dead at that point so... kinda moot?

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
The Boys S4E8, or the finale

The episode starts off with a "viewer discretion advised" warning, and given the insanity of the show you know something big is goning to happen.

Props to Erin Moriarty for her portrayal of both the real Annie and the doppelganger. I always appreciate whenever actor/actress manage to portray body switching/mimicking. It seems like really hard work, because I am fucking terrible at acting and keeping a poker face. Especially in that scene where she's talking to herself. God, I don't think ever since Andy Serkis have I seen such switch in personality that quick.

Frenchie and Kimiko finally got together! Let's fucking go!

Other than that, I think this finale was rather disappointing. There were some shocking and violent deaths, but it did not meet my anticipation especially after seeing that viewer discretion warning. It's clearly setting up for the beginning of supes takeover of the White House, but really wish it ended up with more ominous note, or dare I say a clifhanger. Season 5 is probably going to be the final season, but I feel the beginning of it is gonna suck

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Finished The Boys season 4. While it took time dragging its feet, the last few episodes definitely ramped up. To a downright uncomfortable degree to be honest, but that's more due to recent events.

To be honest I'm kind of having a hard time trying to recall moments from this season. It definitely felt quite meandering and sluggish, and I don't think there was that strong of a focus this time around. S1 had Homelander, S2 had Stormfront, and S3 had Soldier Boy. In S4 it was all over the place. Some plotlines felt like they were stalling for time, like Frenchie going to jail and Hughie's mom. The overall plot took ages to get going, or to even materialize concretely. The over the top shock value has lost most of its novelty, and perhaps counterintuitively, toning it down might actually make it more exciting. Because if you only used in moments of very high dramatic impact (like when Neuman gets ripped in half by Butcher's super cancer), it would have so much more effect. It's still enjoyable, but the show has spent so much time just spinning its wheels. Weakest season so far, but there's plenty of banger material left for the final season.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Don't remember if we've ever discussed my favorite show from the 1990s Babylon 5 but in case there are other fans...

So the creater of B5, J. Michael Staczynski, his preceding gig before that was as a co-producer and writer on Murder, She Wrote. Well my wife and I have been watching it- we were in the mood for old-school episodic TV and she had some nostalgia of its reruns. We're up to season 8 which is when JMS and David Moessinger took over the show, moved her to New York part time, and made her a college professor.

JMS wrote a few of the episodes himself and we watched a couple of those already. There is an episode where Jessica Fletcher (main character) does a monologue talking about "the hour of the wolf" and "the exercise of vital powers" and it is like something Captain Sheridan would recite. In fact those two are phrases are B5 episode names. I'm also seeing actors on MSW that would appear on B5. It's pretty cool seeing those connecting threads.

So yes, over the past year or so I've been enjoying Murder She Wrote and Columbo. There is something really nice about getting 45-60 mins of a story and it being its own thing.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The Boys S4 finale.

In typical streaming fashion, the overarching plot this season soldiers forward 15% in the first episode and 85% in the finale. Lots of dilly-dallying and will they/won't they in between. Each character continues to be torn between the same things, making the same choices, reaffirming the same traits about themselves and stopping short from finishing any one battle. Well, there's a couple of B-lister deaths by the end. But at this point I'm just relieved they're beginning to wrap things up.

Other than the glacial pace this season also suffered from a scattershot focus. It was broadly about the impending presidential election but everything leading up towards it felt like it was a distraction (the sex dungeon ep, the killer farm animals ep) or was made up on the go (the Neuman character is all over the place this season). And Frenchie's subplot wasted too much time considering he ended up more or less where he was left off one season ago.

All said though I'm excited for S5 simply because it's supposed to be the final one and judging from where S4 ends it's going to have its hands full trying to stick the landing in eight more episodes.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The Boys season finale

9/10

I just don't agree with any of this criticism about it wasting time or spinning its wheels or whatever. One of the most frustrating things about TV consumption, contributing to everything feeling like "content mush," is that people just focus on PLOT. Moving "things" forward, spoilers, twists, mystery boxes. And tbf we've been trained by the streaming structure of content dumps, shorter seasons that don't give character development room to breathe, and DISCOURSE.

The Boys' appeal to me has never been about OMG-look-what-happened, per se. The show is and always was a political satire. In fact it is the only relevant and impactful political satire in all of major media at this point, as all the other ones have fallen into irrelevancy.

Reactions: gorfias
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
The Boys season 4 finale.

So the series has seemed to devolve into mostly shock value whenever nothing much else is happening. It really can’t quite pull off the political intrigue and musical characters stuff the same way something like GoT or HotD can, because aside from the pseudo-relevancy to modern day political garbage it’s just too obnoxious and on-the-nose about it all for any big events to have any wind left in the sails. I haven’t read any comics but guess the insanity is part of its point? I’m getting old I guess.

At least they’re bringing back Soldier Boy, and probably the other bro from SN will get fitted in somehow. Funny enough, they also waited until the very end to bring back Gen V characters, which in a way that show felt like it had more arc to it in one season than all four of The Boys so far.

Highlight of the season for me was Homelander’s “family” reunion. It was pretty much a perfect episode. Hopefully season 5 ties everything together with a nice bow on top.

Reactions: gorfias