Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I finally watched the infamous episode 3 of The Acolyte.

Yeah, it was a pretty damn boring ep. But yet again, it's quite clear all the outrage is coming from chuds furious about the lesbian witches.

Episode 4 is a gigantic cock block. If anyone is bothering to watch this show anymore, maybe just wait for episode 5.
I hear episode 4 is basically a walking simulator and incredibly boring on top of any other objections you might have for the show. Funniest meme I've seen so far as an old man that remembers what it was like to be a teen: leave it to Disney to make a show so dull that teenage boys show no interest in space lesbians.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Sugar - Season 1 - 5/10

The show is about Sugar (Colin Farrell) investigating a missing granddaughter of a famous movie producer. I really dug the show for awhile but the last couple episodes the show takes a massive hard right turn and completely changes what the show is about completely unexpectedly. The show is very old-school detective / noir show (tons of movie references with them showing you snippets from other films) for the first 6 episodes and then completely changes into something else out of the blue basically. The show kinda drops the missing persons case in a sense and it becomes just like a side thing that gets wrapped up just because it has to.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Regarding SW Acolyte, I feel the only saving grace is whenever Master Sol (the Korean Guy) is on screen.

The reviews in South Korea are interesting, because they seem to share my thoughts. The actor who plays him , Jung-Jae Lee, is one of the more popular actors in the country. At the same time, they also don't like the obvious PC agendas.

In fact, they are making the exact same criticisms as western audiences, giving wtf reaction to that witch impregnation scene. Master Sol scenes, tho? They got really hyped about how powerful he is after watching him in action in episode 3

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I've just gone though the first season of The West Wing. Mainly because its been a long time since I watched it and I thought a second viewing with much older eyes would be interesting.

I still dig Sorkin's writing style and while television to me has not really gotten better or worse than this overall, just shifted focus and tone as the external factors of life shift, it really is amazing to me that there was once such a prestige television drama about the workings of the political system and the people in it that could charm you into feeling that the system would work as long as it was run by people who were smart.

Also, and this will now never not make me laugh; there's a character who shows up a few times through the show's run called "Lord John Marbury", and he's played by an actor called Roger Rees.....who also played the Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood: Men in Tights. The things you learn.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I've just gone though the first season of The West Wing. Mainly because its been a long time since I watched it and I thought a second viewing with much older eyes would be interesting.

I still dig Sorkin's writing style and while television to me has not really gotten better or worse than this overall, just shifted focus and tone as the external factors of life shift, it really is amazing to me that there was once such a prestige television drama about the workings of the political system and the people in it that could charm you into feeling that the system would work as long as it was run by people who were smart.

Also, and this will now never not make me laugh; there's a character who shows up a few times through the show's run called "Lord John Marbury", and he's played by an actor called Roger Rees.....who also played the Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood: Men in Tights. The things you learn.
I'm now just imagining him discussing an irksome piece of legislation as "chafing his willy".

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'm now just imagining him discussing an irksome piece of legislation as "chafing his willy".
Considering the character once rather brazenly asks the First Lady if he can fondle her breasts, such a comment would not be remotely out of left field.

For what it’s worth, I think the best episodes of the first season are In Excelsis Deo which is about a the death of a homeless Korean War veteran, and the mini arc about Leo McGary being publicly outed as a recovering alcoholic and drug addict. Those are more or less carried by John Spencer and he’s more than able.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The Bear: S1: Intense / Great

Carmen, an accomplished chef, inherits his brother's hole-in-the-wall Italian sandwich restaurant in Chicago. While the restaurant has history and is an ostensible staple in the community, it is considered to be a significant step down for someone of "Carmy's" credentials, but he refuses to let it go. What follows is a series of unfortunate events as his rag-tag group of employees, financial stresses, and family troubles make life at the restaurant... difficult.

We started this out of curiosity last night; four hours later, we'd binged the whole first season. Captivating. If life in a professional kitchen is anything like what's depicted here, calling it "stressful" would be akin to calling the surface of the sun "warm." Imagine any one of Gordon Ramsay's cooking shows where he's cussing everyone out at the top of his lungs, but now imagine EVERYONE in the kitchen behaves like Gordon Ramsay. The acting is superb, to the point that I'm not sure I could pull off Carmy's (Jeremy Allen White's) role without actually hitting someone or having a stroke. But it does make you appreciate that there might be people out there with this level of passion and intensity. "Lord, bless the hands that made this food..."

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Roger Rees. One of Mel Brooks' favorite gags was the "Walk this way" gag, and he used it in multiple films. I think the Roger Rees version in Men in Tights was the best one, and that says a lot considering he's going up against Marty Feldman.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Finished Shogun the other night, which in total took me like four months for 10 episodes. I really enjoyed watching this show, but the ending left me kind of underwhelmed. I didn't need some big battle scene, but the show felt like it was stumbling towards the finish line. Toranaga's master plan was portrayed as strategic and political genius, but I wasn't particularly amazed. After looking at some Reddit posts, it seems that this opinion is shared by readers of the original book.

Overall, don't regret watching. It was a beautifully made show. But it's not at all the "new Game of Thrones".

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
The Boys S4E5

Overall, I think Simon Pegg stole the spotlight with this episode. Especially when his character begins to cause havoc at the hospital. Other than that, I think the episode was pretty weak. There were some funny scenes like "V'd-up fucking chicken!", but I don't think the plot really went anywhere, other than some characters going through interpersonal conflicts.

The kid who plays Ryan once again does an amazing job of portraying that confused little boy, but I don't think he got enough spotlight in this episode. Ryan reminds me so much of a kid I know at the volunteering, who's around the same age and is confused and always asks questions on everything. Both of them wants to do right things, but society demands them to do it "their" way. They are both easily manipulated and impressed, and I am reminded of how stupid these kids can be.

Seriously, the whole search for supe-virus at the farm felt like it went nowhere, other than to make Stan Edgar free. However, I do think the ending is leading to the attack on Washington D.C. as portrayed in comic

I feel really bad for Hughie now :(