Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
The Boys S4E6.

You know, I didn't think nothing would top the orgy scene in season 3. But here we are in season 4, going into some BDSM shit. I mean goddamn, props for the actors for actually going through with this, but holy crap that scene made me uncomfortable.

The plot twist at the end I didn't see coming, but guess it wasn't too surprising either.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The Outlaws season 3 5/10

I hope I have promoted and praised this show before because the first two seasons are some of the most delightful bit of television of recent years. It's about 7 very different people that are doing community service for various crimes and they end up in some drug dealing schemes, but they're all good and likeable people so it's like Breakfast Club for adults. Stephen Merchant is one of them and also a writer.

But I think they pretty much ran out of gas and while the third season was pleasant enough, since the cast is great and there are always some good lines or gags, they had to do dumb plot things to keep it going. It also doesn't help that one of the original members played by Christopher Walken didn't come back for this season except for one brief cameo.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I finally finished the first season of House of the Dragon, 2 years after release. It's incredible like I mentioned before. Brings me right back to the best days of Game of Thrones, and I've found myself sitting through the opening credits more often than not, because that damn theme song sets the stage and immerses the viewer like no other. Having finished the season my verdict of it being better than GoT ever was did not hold up, because the second half of the season is considerably more sprawling and complex. Especially in episodes 6 and 7 it felt like the story was taking huge leaps with things that could have carried multiple episodes (Daemon's wife is established, introduced, characterized and then killed off over the course of a single episode). I guess it's a double-edged sword: it can be at times hard to parse what is meant to be a point of focus (Daemon murdering his wife early in the season would seem like a huge plot point, but it's ultimately not), but on the other hand I had no idea where the story was headed. It's less of an A to B story, and more of a sprawling tapestry of alliances, motivations and relationships that ebb and flow over the course of the better part of two decades the season takes place over.

The core cast are all strong and interesting, and HotD feels like it leans even more into the moral greyness than GoT. There you at least had obvious villains like Joffrey or Cersei, but here almost anyone could be considered a hero or a villain depending on your point of view. And that perception can switch, and then switch back, which makes it constantly interesting. Aemond, for example, is first characterized as an obnoxious, entitled shit, but when he grows up he shows a surprisingly cool and perceptive head with a knack for politics, but also with a vindictive and sadistic streak. Almost every character has a laundry list of "but on the other hand" statements you could make, and every decision they make feels informed and justified by their characterization.

The show looks stunning. GoT's earlier seasons had to occasionally make do with a smaller budget, but here everything is given the grandiosity it deserves and the budget is out in full force in almost every scene. The sets, costumes, effects and locations all look absolutely top tier. I'm honestly astonished just how much the dragons are on display and how good they look. But it's not just the production, the cinematography, acting and music score absolute home runs as well. I was initially a bit reticent about the child actors, but they show up in only one episode, and their aged up versions are much better. As mentioned before, Paddy Considine is absolutely the star here, but only for part of the season. I didn't get the same kind of "wow" feeling from any of the performances in the later parts of the season, but that's more because there are so many more characters rather than the acting being weaker.

Overall it's a fantastic show, and I'm so happy I get to dive into the second season right away.