Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
1. How is a reference an insult?
2. I wonder why a country who's history going back millennia is interwoven with that of a particular religion would reference that particular religion and not other random ones. Surely a mystery for the ages.
1) are you asking why a gay and or drag version of the last supper would insult Christians?
2) Oddly enough the organiser has come out and apparently said it was meant to be the feast of Dionysus not the last supper........according to the official Olympics account

However according to the guy who choregraphed it it was meant to be the last supper

Which you can now add throwing in Pagan gods to the last supper as a reason for Christians to be a bit offended.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
From what I've seen it seems like the ceremony was more of an insult to France itself by making it look boring and just weird rather than trying to look cultures or refined or putting on a good show or you know showcasing the nations heritage and history to the world.

Look at what the UK did when we had it.

James Bond, Mr Bean, Always Look on the Bright Side of life. The Punk movement, Kids literature.

France could easily have showcased their culture and heritage. A little Red Riding hood inspired bit, maybe a Cinderella bit, maybe a reference to the film "A trip to the moon" something about "the Returned" the well received French TV series I think getting a US remake soon if it's not already. I think they managed to reference the French revolution at one point though that's about it. Also what does the Last Supper have to even do with France please?
...What are you even on about?

The framing sequence of the Opening Ceremony was kicked off by Zinedine Zidane making his way with the torch from the Stade de France through the streets of Paris before handing it off to some kids, who made their way to the Catacombs of Paris for what looked to be a Phantom of the Opera homage as they handed the torch off again to a masked figure (whose design was suspiciously evocative of French developer Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed) who parkoured their way through the landmarks of Paris, such as the Louvre and the Musee D’Orsay, in which we saw references to French works, such as the Statue of Liberty and Trip to the Moon.

Lady Gaga performed Cabaret-style, Moulin Rouge dancers did the can-can (not well, but they did it). There was a (much better) cirque-du soleil style choreographed number set on the construction of Notre Dame, whose bells rang out for the first time since the 2019 fire. Le Marseillaise was sung from atop the Grand Palais...

The damn thing was a reference overdose, with everything from an extended "Minions" animation sequence (Illumination Studios being French) to running through Louis Vuitton, all while running a gauntlet of Parisian landmarks while the athletes paraded down the Sein in their boats. And you want to criticize them for not "showcasing their heritage and history"?

If anything, it suffered from "too many cooks in the kitchen", in that they tried to tie in so many disparate ideas and elements that the final production was just too busy and lacked cohesion.

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
...What are you even on about?

The framing sequence of the Opening Ceremony was kicked off by Zinedine Zidane making his way with the torch from the Stade de France through the streets of Paris before handing it off to some kids, who made their way to the Catacombs of Paris for what looked to be a Phantom of the Opera homage as they handed the torch off again to a masked figure (whose design was suspiciously evocative of French developer Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed) who parkoured their way through the landmarks of Paris, such as the Louvre and the Musee D’Orsay, in which we saw references to French works, such as the Statue of Liberty and Trip to the Moon.

Lady Gaga performed Cabaret-style, Moulin Rouge dancers did the can-can (not well, but they did it). There was a (much better) cirque-du soleil style choreographed number set on the construction of Notre Dame, whose bells rang out for the first time since the 2019 fire. Le Marseillaise was sung from atop the Grand Palais...

The damn thing was a reference overdose, with everything from an extended "Minions" animation sequence (Illumination Studios being French) to running through Louis Vuitton, all while running a gauntlet of Parisian landmarks while the athletes paraded down the Sein in their boats. And you want to criticize them for as "showcasing their heritage and history"?

If anything, it suffered from "too many cooks in the kitchen", in that they tried to tie in so many disparate ideas and elements that the final production was just too busy and lacked cohesion.
I stand corrected then, still weird choice of the feat of dionysis / the last supper which ever it was meant to be though

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
2. I wonder why a country who's history going back millennia is interwoven with that of a particular religion would reference that particular religion and not other random ones. Surely a mystery for the ages.
Presumably because the last time something in France was infamous for referencing a certain other Abrahamic faith it ended with 12 dead and 11 injured.

Despite all the awful things I could say about several flavors of Chrsitianity, nobody expects anybody to get murdered over this.

Which you can now add throwing in Pagan gods to the last supper as a reason for Christians to be a bit offended.
To be fair a lot of ostensibly Christian things stole a lot of their imagery from Pagan beliefs, it seems weird to get too angry if the reverse happens. Also, there are noticeable parallels between Dionysus and Jesus (born of a god and a virgin, for example), including symbolically drinking his blood in worship.

Reactions: Leg End

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Supreme Court
One of the spectacular eye-openers from revelations about Justice Thomas's extravagant gift-acceptance regimen is just how lax any sort of regulation on their activities there was. In fact, I am astonished at the extent to which the highest court in the land operated free of oversight. And bless, I cannot forget Thomas's sterling defence, which can be summarised as "I think I did nothing serious wrong, therefore there's no problem here". The average criminal could only hope to dream that they could do the same.

Of course, SCOTUS rushed in a new code of conduct, which if I remember rightly was just some lower court's rules except with some of the stuff removed, and probably is still not fit for purpose.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
One of the spectacular eye-openers from revelations about Justice Thomas's extravagant gift-acceptance regimen is just how lax any sort of regulation on their activities there was. In fact, I am astonished at the extent to which the highest court in the land operated free of oversight. And bless, I cannot forget Thomas's sterling defence, which can be summarised as "I think I did nothing serious wrong, therefore there's no problem here". The average criminal could only hope to dream that they could do the same.

Of course, SCOTUS rushed in a new code of conduct, which if I remember rightly was just some lower court's rules except with some of the stuff removed, and probably is still not fit for purpose.
You're talking about the Supreme Court where six justices agreed that this

" corruptly solicits or demands [...] or accepts or agrees to accept, anything of value [...] intending to be influenced or rewarded in connection with any business, transaction, or series of transactions of such organization, government, or agency involving any thing of value of $5,000 or more"

Actually means that of course public officials are still allowed to recieve gratuities for good work.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

https://uk.usembassy.gov/our-relationship/policy-history/the-u-s-uk-extradition treaty/#:~:text=The%20Treaty%20modernized%20the%20extradition,information%20on%20that%20treaty%20below.

Why can't the UK just ban Twitter? It seems like a better solution than to give right-wing media in both the UK AND the US right-wing talking points.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Why can't the UK just ban Twitter? It seems like a better solution than to give right-wing media in both the UK AND the US right-wing talking points.
FKA Twitter is used peacefully and constructively by millions of Britons. It is grossly disproportionate to remove it from them because a small proportion of people misuse it. Especially when so many other online platforms (Telegram, etc.) exist which also propagate trouble.

The British police are not going to pursue shitposting from random nobodies. However, they may be interested in pursuing substantial and determined attempts to incite violence and disorder, some of which if sufficiently serious could justify extradition, for instance by falling under anti-terrorism legislation.

In terms of Elon Musk, it is worth bearing in mind that there are reports of customers declining to buy Tesla cars because they are unhappy with his rhetoric, both in the UK and outside. One would have to wonder whether this could get sufficiently serious to persuade Tesla shareholders to rein him in.

Reactions: Satinavian

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
FKA Twitter is used peacefully and constructively by millions of Britons. It is grossly disproportionate to remove it from them because a small proportion of people misuse it. Especially when so many other online platforms (Telegram, etc.) exist which also propagate trouble.

The British police are not going to pursue shitposting from random nobodies. However, they may be interested in pursuing substantial and determined attempts to incite violence and disorder, some of which if sufficiently serious could justify extradition, for instance by falling under anti-terrorism legislation.

In terms of Elon Musk, it is worth bearing in mind that there are reports of customers declining to buy Tesla cars because they are unhappy with his rhetoric, both in the UK and outside. One would have to wonder whether this could get sufficiently serious to persuade Tesla shareholders to rein him in.
ROFL that is a funny event in woke world.

"Oh no I couldn't possibly buy an electric car because the man said something I don't agree with on twitter"
*instead goes and buys a Land Rover Range Rover instead that's far more polluting than a standard car*

Look for various reason I know they're some of the most stolen cars in the UK (not Tesla to be clear).
Of all the reasons not to buy a Tesla, Elon offending people via his views on twitter has to be one of the most in like with woke ideology than much I've heard for a while, it's not about doing good just perception of it. Like those climate protestors in London years ago who all flew in from all over the world to be there.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
ROFL that is a funny event in woke world.

"Oh no I couldn't possibly buy an electric car because the man said something I don't agree with on twitter"
*instead goes and buys a Land Rover Range Rover instead that's far more polluting than a standard car*

Look for various reason I know they're some of the most stolen cars in the UK (not Tesla to be clear).
Of all the reasons not to buy a Tesla, Elon offending people via his views on twitter has to be one of the most in like with woke ideology than much I've heard for a while, it's not about doing good just perception of it. Like those climate protestors in London years ago who all flew in from all over the world to be there.
You're going to have to provide a definition of woke. Buying or wanting to buy an electric car doesn't make you woke. Unless you think Musk is woke

It's easy to not buy a Telsa. They have been proven to be the shittest EVs on the market. From the battery, to brakes to having to the touchscreen nonsense. Musk being trash is just the final straw. Guess which one you are focusing on

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

@jat4651 1 year ago
Fighting racism with racism is like throwing wood in a house that's on fire and being confused why it's still burning.

@berriesweet26 1 year ago
I agree 100% with this as a black woman. I've felt this way for years. We cannot combat racism with more racism.

@denofwolves1969 1 year ago
I'm white and have been in a mixed marriage for 30 years. For the first 20 years or so of our marriage, nobody of any race ever gave us a hard time, but in the past decade, it's gotten worse and worse every year. People call my wife a race traitor in her place of business, and her boss, who is white, is so scared of retribution that she refuses to do anything about it. My kids are teased in school because they are half white; my daughter came home in tears one day because some of her friends told her they were so sorry for her that she had to live with a white father. It's insane, and it's only getting worse. I pray that more people like yourself and the young man in the video can prevail and help bring us back to reality. You are both eloquent speakers, so maybe your message can reach some of these young, impressionable minds.

Which is adjacent to why Morgan Freeman had this take -

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
You're going to have to provide a definition of woke. Buying or wanting to buy an electric car doesn't make you woke. Unless you think Musk is woke

It's easy to not buy a Telsa. They have been proven to be the shittest EVs on the market. From the battery, to brakes to having to the touchscreen nonsense. Musk being trash is just the final straw. Guess which one you are focusing on
That I don't agree with. Model Ys are the best value in the class for SUV EVs in the US, and that holds for all cars as long as they're not made in China. Korean cars like Kia and Hyundai have poor security features where I live and are known to be stolen by teens to joyride. Japanese cars are great but don't get the EV credit in the US as they aren't made in the US, and are, as such, very expensive, plus they aren't in stock a lot of the time. American car quality other than Tesla is way too poor.

Chinese EVs are the best bang for your buck, like BYD, which makes the batteries for Teslas. Just don't buy Cybertrucks, lol. But for you Australians, and British I recommend BYDs, which have high tariffs in the US.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Maybe old Twitter, but new Twitter is so trashy.

That won't fly in the US given our courts have First Amendment grounds to to dismiss the lawsuit, and generally don't like to give foreigners wins over native-borns.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
That won't fly in the US given our courts have First Amendment grounds to to dismiss the lawsuit, and generally don't like to give foreigners wins over native-borns.
Even moreso since it's a lawsuit in French court against an American and a Brit. It's going to be hard enough to actually give the suit any teeth at all.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Neither J.K. Rowling nor Elon Musk are native born Americans.

I mean, not that it should matter here, but just pointing that out.