Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I fucking hate powerscalers. This post is primarily motivated by the latest hullabaloo in the One Piece community, but I see it all over now.

For some reason the algorithm thinks I am incredibly invested about annoying twats arguing if Goku could beat Superman, or if Gojo Satoru could defeat Sukuna if Gojo had been taking vitamin supplements, or which characters could solo the entire Naruto universe.

I just... don't understand. I can see the appeal in the general discussion of it, but the arguments can clearly never be won, and yet people so desperately try to.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I fucking hate powerscalers. This post is primarily motivated by the latest hullabaloo in the One Piece community, but I see it all over now.

For some reason the algorithm thinks I am incredibly invested about annoying twats arguing if Goku could beat Superman, or if Gojo Satoru could defeat Sukuna if Gojo had been taking vitamin supplements, or which characters could solo the entire Naruto universe.

I just... don't understand. I can see the appeal in the general discussion of it, but the arguments can clearly never be won, and yet people so desperately try to.
Ignore them and put don't recommend channel/content. I rarely ever have the show in my feed but whenever I see one I Immediately put do not want.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
An article from months ago, but they're not wrong.

I was excited to see that Netflix’s Castlevania: Nocturne was reviewing extremely well, a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, living up to the high scores of the previous show, one of the best game adaptations of all time.

But I was perplexed by the 52% audience score, literally half of the 100% and “rotten,” as it were. I wondered what was going on here and ah, it’s another one of the these.

Have watched nearly all of the series now, I cannot agree with the “bad writing, bad characters” complaints at all that you see in the user reviews, but instead, a lot of focus is put on what else, its prevalence of black characters and other characters of color, altering a few origin stories to make that work. There’s a throughline of oppression and the horrors of slavery in the plot, and outside of that, a focus on gay characters as well.

Multiple reviews call the franchise “ruined” and are upset (freed slave) Annette has the most screen time. My favorite is multiple reviews that call it “Wokelevania,” the most contorted inclusion of the word “woke” I’ve ever seen. The show “constantly beats you over the head with current day talking points” another review says.

It’s a good show, I don’t know what else to say. The worst thing you can say about it is that it may not be quite as good as the original series, but that is an incredibly high bar, so it’s no real surprise. I cannot tell you how exhausted I am of user reviews for projects like this. This keeps happening over and over where some established IP includes some characters of color or different orientations and the knives come out.

Rotten Tomatoes has a particular problem with this. They cracked down on user reviews when it comes to movies, given that there’s a system in place to prove you watched a film before reviewing it. This was instituted after mass review bombing of Captain Marvel due to offhand comments Brie Larson made about the male-dominated critic industry (which is absolutely true). And that same crowd has been hounding her ever since.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not to give WBD too much credit, but they at least bother to still do animated movies or shows for their DC characters. Not all of them are kid friendly, or meant for older audiences, but at least they're still there and given chances shine. Disney/Marvel has their What If series and that's it. They have done anything else animated Marvel related or appealing with solo Marvel superhero shows in ages. The last one was that Spider-Man cartoon from the mid to late 2010s and that was it. It lasted a few seasons and ended quick. DC at least has My Adventures With Superman and Caped Crusader. Obviously, the former is much more family friendly than the latter, but is not afraid to be mature with adult subject matters nor have a problem with getting serious when needed. As much as I despise WBD, at least they allow different animated takes on their superheroes and given reign for experimentation. Most of it which has worked out for the better.

Marvel's excuse in lack of effort is "We have the MCU, we don't need anything else to appeal to kids". X-Men '97 is the exception obviously, but we need more than just that. Give all the heroes a chance to shine and thrive. You can't just rely on the one cinematic universe forever.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
The Crow (2024) is the kinda trash I would watch, but not the kind of movie I would give hollywood money to see. I actively want it to fail. Which is sad because I think everybody wants a Crow movie. A good Crow movie.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The Crow (2024) is the kinda trash I would watch, but not the kind of movie I would give hollywood money to see. I actively want it to fail. Which is sad because I think everybody wants a Crow movie. A good Crow movie.
Even hotter take, I find the original Crow to be trash.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Even hotter take, I find the original Crow to be trash.
I've often wondered if that movie only garnered as much love (and now nostalgia) as it did (does) because Brandon Lee was killed during filming, and they did the then groundbreaking CGI thingy to keep him in the movie. I remember watching it and not being that impressed by any of it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
There's been plenty of Crow movies (and a tv series), surely we don't need a new one.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The original Crow still holds up great. The only thing is spotty are some digital effects if you're watching on blue ray. Even then you have to be paying real close attention.

Looking forward to the remake. It does its own thing for what I'm hearing.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I've often wondered if that movie only garnered as much love (and now nostalgia) as it did (does) because Brandon Lee was killed during filming, and they did the then groundbreaking CGI thingy to keep him in the movie. I remember watching it and not being that impressed by any of it.
From what I remember about the original Crow, it was combination of it being Bruce Lee's but also the look and vibe were extremely of its time. We're in Nine Inch Nails, still-angsty Pearl Jam, Kurt Cobain dying, goth kids quoting Nitsche peak 90's, and that movie was like the Hot Topic of movies.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I watched it way back when it came out, never really remembered much about it as it didn't leave an impact on me. Then, maybe 10 years back or so, we put it on while hanging out and we were all like "what is this trash" basically and were making fun of it the whole time.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Looking back at the older James Bond films, many are of course very dated, but the one thing that really holds up is the music.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The "I miss witty banter/good superhero banter" shit critics are saying on YouTube. Even the good ones like Shady Doorags constantly bring this up or unprovoked when it has nothing to do with Marvel/MCU. You're talking about a great DCAU episode, I don't need you to constantly bash Marvel like the dead horse you and everyone else are doing. Also, the MCU didn't "ruin" witty banter/good superhero banter, Shady. WTF you've been watching? I've seen plenty of action shows, kids shows, superhero and non superhero movies do banter and avoid "MCU dialogue" (when it's not even that) just fine. We get it, you're disappointed or hate the Marvel's lack output and DCEU being shutdown/not given a chance. But can you please focus on the positive subjects you're talking about and not weigh down nor pad the video for another tired bad MCU movie or "characters not acting like heroes" rant? Even when you do have a point, you're not saying anything new or unique. How about just don't watch these movies anymore, if they bother you that much or feel they're lacking?