Conflict between Palestine and Israel escalates

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
That mosque was rebuilt last century after being destroyed after being rebuilt after being destroyed after being rebuilt after collapsing in an earthquake after being rebuilt after being destroyed after being converted to a mosque from a Christian church after being converted to a mosque after being rebuilt as a Christian church after being destroyed as a Philistine temple, with some evidence that the current structure was built partially from the remnants of a destroyed Jewish temple.

No, it was not "16 times older than the state of Israel". The version that got bombed was built after the old one got bombed in WWII. Or you could argue that it's still there exactly as much as it ever has been, as the site continues being destroyed and rebuilt. The only reason to frame it as it's framed above is to propagate the silly idea that the people of Gaza have some extra special ancestral claim to the area in spite of it being conquered, destroyed, invaded, and fled from repeatedly for thousands of years.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
That mosque was rebuilt last century after being destroyed after being rebuilt after being destroyed after being rebuilt after collapsing in an earthquake after being rebuilt after being destroyed after being converted to a mosque from a Christian church after being converted to a mosque after being rebuilt as a Christian church after being destroyed as a Philistine temple, with some evidence that the current structure was built partially from the remnants of a destroyed Jewish temple.

No, it was not "16 times older than the state of Israel". The version that got bombed was built after the old one got bombed in WWII. Or you could argue that it's still there exactly as much as it ever has been, as the site continues being destroyed and rebuilt. The only reason to frame it as it's framed above is to propagate the silly idea that the people of Gaza have some extra special ancestral claim to the area in spite of it being conquered, destroyed, invaded, and fled from repeatedly for thousands of years.
Well thank God that this war crime only blew up a regular loser mosque, not a cool one that was built a long time ago. Makes me feel less bad about this war crime knowing it wasn't an old building.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Well thank God that this war crime only blew up a regular loser mosque, not a cool one that was built a long time ago. Makes me feel less bad about this war crime knowing it wasn't an old building.
It's not a war crime if it's used as a military base, which the IDF claims it was. Of course, the IDF claims everything they attack is a military target, so it's reasonable to doubt any given instance of that claim, though I wouldn't necessarily go around tweeting that assumption with absolute confidence.

That being said, I was commenting on the more insidious part of the propaganda, the part I can know to be false. They take a tragic scene to manipulate you emotionally into not questioning the lies they caption it with.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
It's not a war crime if it's used as a military base, which the IDF claims it was. Of course, the IDF claims everything they attack is a military target, so it's reasonable to doubt any given instance of that claim, though I wouldn't necessarily go around tweeting that assumption with absolute confidence.
I will

I trust fucking cops stories about how the black guy with 10 bullets in his back actually had a gun and was about to do a sick gun-fu trick shot to kill an orphan and a puppy (but they left so you didn't see them) more than I'd trust the fucking IDF.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I will

I trust fucking cops stories about how the black guy with 10 bullets in his back actually had a gun and was about to do a sick gun-fu trick shot to kill an orphan and a puppy (but they left so you didn't see them) more than I'd trust the fucking IDF.
Do you trust the tweet I was commenting on? If so, why? If not, why are you arguing with me?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Do you trust the tweet I was commenting on? If so, why? If not, why are you arguing with me?
I'm not arguing with you. I am stating that The IDF is the last organization I would ever trust their word. Hell, I'm at the point that if the IDF said the sky was blue today, I'd expect the sky to have turned purple.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I'm not arguing with you. I am stating that The IDF is the last organization I would ever trust their word. Hell, I'm at the point that if the IDF said the sky was blue today, I'd expect the sky to have turned purple.
However little you trust the IDF, Imma need you to trust Seanchaidh tweet posts even less. The IDF at minimum tells the truth when it benefits them to do so, communist Twitter is genuinely allergic to reality.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
However little you trust the IDF, Imma need you to trust Seanchaidh tweet posts even less. The IDF at minimum tells the truth when it benefits them to do so, communist Twitter is genuinely allergic to reality.
You can WELL ACKSHUALLY all you want but

The mosque IS much older than Israel. It's been destroyed a few times in its history but even if the building itself was destroyed a few times, The Great Mosque of Gaza has been there since the 7th century. If you want to nitpick some dudes tweet and say he's lying because the building itself was rebuilt after being destroyed in WW1 that's your choice but it sounds more like you are the one allergic to reality here.

But hey, a war crime is a war crime so no matter which definition you want to go with for age, it's still a war crime

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
The Great Mosque of Gaza has been there since the 7th century.
There was a mostly different building on that site following an entirely different religion centuries after that. And some of the parts of the building that survived it all predate Islam as a religion. Yet the range of time picked in the tweet suggests a continuous existence starting only when it was made a mosque, not caring to mention that the mosque wasn't built then, it was conquered by invaders, and has been reconquered and rebuilt many times.
But hey, a war crime is a war crime so no matter which definition you want to go with for age, it's still a war crime
Do not be content to be lied to. It's bad enough to rationalize hate with lies, I think it's even worse to rationalize lies with hate.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
There was a mostly different building on that site following an entirely different religion centuries after that. And some of the parts of the building that survived it all predate Islam as a religion. Yet the range of time picked in the tweet suggests a continuous existence starting only when it was made a mosque, not caring to mention that the mosque wasn't built then, it was conquered by invaders, and has been reconquered and rebuilt many times.

Do not be content to be lied to. It's bad enough to rationalize hate with lies, I think it's even worse to rationalize lies with hate.
Right, I forgot you're Mr "Don't Believe Your Own Eyes and Ears" when it comes to The IDF indiscriminately slaughtering Palestinians. My mistake.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Right, I forgot you're Mr "Don't Believe Your Own Eyes and Ears" when it comes to The IDF indiscriminately slaughtering Palestinians. My mistake.
Nah, I'm telling you not to believe the headlines or captions. That's a very different suggestion.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
You can WELL ACKSHUALLY all you want but

The mosque IS much older than Israel. It's been destroyed a few times in its history but even if the building itself was destroyed a few times, The Great Mosque of Gaza has been there since the 7th century. If you want to nitpick some dudes tweet and say he's lying because the building itself was rebuilt after being destroyed in WW1 that's your choice but it sounds more like you are the one allergic to reality here.

I don't think the Great Mosque of Gaza is the same one as featured in Alan MacLeod's tweet, though he may have thought that was the one. I conclude this because it is not in Khan Younis; the Great Mosque of Gaza is in Gaza City, substantially further north. Also, from what I can tell it just doesn't look the same, though the limited number of pictures (and previous damage from bombardment) could be deceiving. But I don't see the minaret from the picture in that wikipedia article about the Great Mosque of Gaza in this scene:

However, I have so far been unable to locate much information on any mosques in Khan Younis. More than one random person (hasbara troll) is saying that particular building was 96 years old, which still would make it substantially older than the JSIP terror regime. Also, it is kind of asinine to describe buildings being repeatedly rebuilt by the inhabitants of a place as a function of them lacking a special tie to the region.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I don't think the Great Mosque of Gaza is the same one as featured in Alan MacLeod's tweet, though he may have thought that was the one. I conclude this because it is not in Khan Younis; the Great Mosque of Gaza is in Gaza City, substantially further north. Also, from what I can tell it just doesn't look the same, though the limited number of pictures (and previous damage from bombardment) could be deceiving. But I don't see the minaret from the picture in that wikipedia article about the Great Mosque of Gaza in this scene:

However, I have so far been unable to locate much information on any mosques in Khan Younis. More than one random person (hasbara troll) is saying that particular building was 96 years old, which still would make it substantially older than the JSIP terror regime. Also, it is kind of asinine to describe buildings being repeatedly rebuilt by the inhabitants of a place as a function of them lacking a special tie to the region.
I'm certainly not an expert but I'm going off of the Wikipedia article that states that this is the building that was destroyed by The IDF:

1724705147043.png

I suppose the building the tweeter did might not actually be The Great Mosque of Gaza but given the damage to the area anyway, I have no idea what might already have been damaged (and therefore isn't a perfect recreation of what the pictures look like). Even Googling for information, I see various news story prior to this one with that mosque getting hit and damaged and whatnot.

In the end, whether the mosque is older than Israel is kind of irrelevant to me. The relevant part to me is that Israel continues to bomb mosques (and hospitals and schools and probably adorable puppy orphanages given that they've bombed essentially every single place in The Gaza Strip).

Reactions: Seanchaidh

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Also, it is kind of asinine to describe buildings being repeatedly rebuilt by the inhabitants of a place as a function of them lacking a special tie to the region.
That's the lie you're actually trying to push. It wasn't rebuilt by the inhabitants, it was being claimed and rebuilt by conquerors from every direction, each trying to stake the flag of their religion in the area. The idea of ancient communities living on their ancestral lands is a fairy tale.