US 2024 Presidential Election

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
There is however a fascinating paradox about Trump.

Despite the debasement of peoples' fact-based view of reality, and despite his incredibly obvious lack of dedication to honesty, many of Trump's fans seem to want to desperately believe that he is telling the truth. They are shown a rabbit hole and it's incredibly important to them that, at the bottom of the hole, is a world that is orderly, coherent, and just as they believe it to be.
It's been said by us MAGA that we take Trump seriously, but not literally. Anti-maga takes him literally but not seriously.
For example, I don't think Trump literally means to be a dictator on day one. I take him seriously that he wants to regain control of the US Southern border and have a robust energy policy.

As for the current state of the 2024 POTUS election?

So far, I think the best meme I've read to date: "Voting Kamala after 4 years of failure and betrayal under Biden is like changing your shirt after crapping your pants."

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Francis a woman has the right to choose. You, nor your church don't have a say in shit. Also, your "lesser evil" answer ain't new nor original.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
For example, I don't think Trump literally means to be a dictator on day one. I take him seriously that he wants to regain control of the US Southern border and have a robust energy policy.
I don't think anyone thinks that Trump literally means to be a dictator on Day 1. But in any sense, it's a suggestion he is going to make decisions that are authoritarian in flavour. That he is not literally dictator does not mean those decisions will be okay. For instance, I do not think it compatible with good principles of law and order to pardon hundreds of people who sacked the Capitol (in his name!) on Jan 6th, 2021. I do not think a man who complains about the "weaponisation" of the DoJ should scrap the tradition of Attorney General neutrality and direct the DoJ to aggressively indict his enemies.

Trump wants to drill shitloads of a finite, heavily-polluting resource that is only going to get rarer and more expensive, plus is highly vulnerable to global supply shocks (as frequently experienced since the 1970s). So tell me: how robust really is that?

Take control of the Southern border? He ordered his Congressional cronies to squash a bipartisan bill that was designed to ameliorate problems, just so he could pin the blame on Biden/Harris. He might care, but also he's definitely up for maximising pain, chaos and damage to boost himself into office.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
That doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.
That doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.

Just think about it with basic logic. If states can make laws against the 1st amendment because they aren't considered "Congress", then the 1st amendment provides literally no right freedom of speech rights (besides maybe District of Columbia).

"In the 1800s, Wills began to more closely resemble what we see today. Any and all property could be disposed of by a Will. A person must be 21 or older to create a Will. Wills had to be witnessed and in writing, which has been common throughout history. A person could change their Wills and revoke earlier Wills.

America mostly follows the English tradition, although each state is a little bit different, the most notable being Louisiana, which follows French estate laws."

I'm not interested in having a discussion over whether the recognition of out-of-state marriages is enough. The fact is that overturning Obergefell would allow states to ban the provision of same-sex marriages, which is what we're actually discussing, and the RFMA would not change that.

All this just boils down to "I don't care". Yes, I know you don't give a shit, I'm not trying to convince you to care-- you never care or show any recognition for things that don't affect you personally. I'm simply correcting you when you say wrong stuff, like that drivel about the RFMA or Constitutional protections for same-sex marriage pre-Obergefell.

I didn't answer "yes". I indicated that the question was an irrelevant deflection, and requested that you read what I actually wrote rather than making nonsense up and attributing it to me.
And again, overturning Obergefell would be pointless because of the RFMA and anyone could go to some other state and get married.

I give a shit about making things better for all people vs being worried about shit that already happened being reversed. Because of this nonsensical bickering about bullshit that makes little difference pushes the more important stuff to the back burner constantly. The fact that there was no national conversation about healthcare in America during a fucking pandemic says it all. You guys are just enabling all the deflection of important issues.

I literally quoted what you said. You literally said that slavery might not be "settled".

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I don't think anyone thinks that Trump literally means to be a dictator on Day 1. But in any sense, it's a suggestion he is going to make decisions that are authoritarian in flavour. That he is not literally dictator does not mean those decisions will be okay. For instance, I do not think it compatible with good principles of law and order to pardon hundreds of people who sacked the Capitol (in his name!) on Jan 6th, 2021. I do not think a man who complains about the "weaponisation" of the DoJ should scrap the tradition of Attorney General neutrality and direct the DoJ to aggressively indict his enemies.

Trump wants to drill shitloads of a finite, heavily-polluting resource that is only going to get rarer and more expensive, plus is highly vulnerable to global supply shocks (as frequently experienced since the 1970s). So tell me: how robust really is that?

Take control of the Southern border? He ordered his Congressional cronies to squash a bipartisan bill that was designed to ameliorate problems, just so he could pin the blame on Biden/Harris. He might care, but also he's definitely up for maximising pain, chaos and damage to boost himself into office.
Not to mention he directed the DOJ to drop investigations of him and his family or the fact that he used his position as president to have foreign dignitaries exclusively stay at his hotels and spent outrages sums of government money on his.. personal expenditures.

I always find it hilariously eyerolling that the MAGA crowd is obsessed with evil democrat conspiracies, but he pulls this shit out in the open and its a nothing burger.

Reactions: Agema and BrawlMan

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I always find it hilariously eyerolling that the MAGA crowd is obsessed with evil democrat conspiracies, but he pulls this shit out in the open and its a nothing burger.
Yeah, funny at first, but then it becomes a truism like every accusation is a confession.

But...is it just me, or do people feel somewhat embarrassed for Nixon nowdays?

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I must have missed the FKA Twitter post where JD Vance wrote:

"It's awful about immigrants hunting and eating pets. But what we most need to focus on is preventing industrial decline, stagnant wages and job insecurity across our American heartlands."

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Just think about it with basic logic. If states can make laws against the 1st amendment because they aren't considered "Congress", then the 1st amendment provides literally no right freedom of speech rights (besides maybe District of Columbia).
Yes, that is EXACTLY what the law was until 1868 (when the 14th amendment was written), and it still wasn't officially applied to the states even after that until 1925. For over 100 years after the bill of rights was written the bill of rights was not applied to the states. The supremacy clause has been in the constitution since 1788.

The bill of rights did not apply to the states based on the original interpretation of the constitution and this only changed based on a supreme court decision.

There's no "basic logic" necessary. This is historic fact. You don't need to reason your way out of recorded history.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
It's been said by us MAGA that we take Trump seriously, but not literally. Anti-maga takes him literally but not seriously.

As for the current state of the 2024 POTUS election?

So far, I think the best meme I've read to date: "Voting Kamala after 4 years of failure and betrayal under Biden is like changing your shirt after crapping your pants."
If you're not taking Trump literally then you're not actually supporting Trump, you are supporting a version of Trump that you've made up in your head that's going to do exactly what you want him to. You're supporting a delusion.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh, Swifties moved faster than expected. Either that or MTG and Loomer decided to gun it out over which gets to suck the Toad.
Wonder how many shootings there are as golf courses normally, by comparison.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
And again, overturning Obergefell would be pointless because of the RFMA and anyone could go to some other state and get married.
And again, that isn't what we're discussing. We're not discussing whether recognition of out-of-state marriages is sufficient.

Stop trying to shift the topic.

I give a shit about making things better for all people vs being worried about shit that already happened being reversed. Because of this nonsensical bickering about bullshit that makes little difference pushes the more important stuff to the back burner constantly. The fact that there was no national conversation about healthcare in America during a fucking pandemic says it all. You guys are just enabling all the deflection of important issues.
"I don't care". I know you don't care.

Stop trying to shift the topic.

I literally quoted what you said. You literally said that slavery might not be "settled".
Except I didn't literally say that. You introduced that to try to shift the conversation off-topic, and I simply directed you back to the topic.

Stop. Trying. To. Shift. The. Topic.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Stop. Trying. To. Shift. The. Topic.
It's all he ever does. All day and every day.

We got our assholes in Michigan threatening people for doing their jobs.

That's stupid.

Oh, Swifties moved faster than expected. Either that or MTG and Loomer decided to gun it out over which gets to suck the Toad.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Expect many many screeds about how this was because of Democrats "demonizing" Trump instead of Republicans pumping up armed maniacs. Can someone tell me exactly when the would-be assassin stopped being "a good guy with a gun"?