Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
As a huge fan of Utawarerumono, anything Ainu is instantly wholesome fun for me.

Oh and as for the female protagonist, in an Ainu version of the ancient myth of Yamata no Orochi and Susanoo, instead of the suitor of the appeasement sacrifice slaying the magical evil snake dragon, it's one such maiden selected as a sacrifice herself, Sitonai, and her dog/wolf that slay the serpent instead. So if you will pick a period heroine to be a samurai, having her be Ainu-adjacent is ideal because you can have the founding myth be of Sitonai to explain why the samurai's a girl. The sacrifices were always young too, in the 15 and under range, so maybe having this be a coming of age story in part would work well too.

Oh and Sitonai is totally a samurai, after finishing off the snake, she laments why all the other child sacrifices before her failed to do so, cause it was "just a snake". Talk about badass.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The duality of these lunatics being outraged.

They complain so much about how "DEI and SBI ruined gaming industry" and how "We want to see an actual strong female lead", yet when it actually happens they start complain about how "WTF, why male protag in the first game but some woman in this game? BADD!!!"
I'm looking forward to Lady-urai. i know people will complain but so long as she is her own character and not just Jin again but girl it should be fine.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I actually never played or bought horizon, but they were giving it away on ps4 for some reason a couple years back so I just got it for free and never touched it. I guess playing the remaster may be better, but I still actually have no interest in it lol.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I didn't watch the State of Play but I caught the headlines and I'll respond to the things I care about (already posted a bunch of stuff about Dragon Age elsewhere, I think at this point I've decided to buy it shortly after release so I can't imagine any more news changing my mind or doing anything beyond spoiling the game at this point).

1- Horizon remastered.
Count me among those for whom remastering recent games leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Yes yes it's your money blah blah, whatever. I still don't like it. Horizon looks good, man. Did the second (!) Last of Us remastering sell well enough that Sony thinks this is now a good idea?
And yet they seem unable or unwilling to "remaster" the only game it seems anybody is actually asking for- Bloodborne (though I predict that Bluepoint will do a full remake for the PS6 as a launch title).

2- Ghost 2
I mean.. heck yeah, right? First Ghost was my favorite game since Witcher 3 so of course I'm hyped.

More sincerely, I hope this sequel to Ghost can improve the combat and give the open-world a much better sense of life and society. As pretty as the open-world in Tsushima was, it felt rather empty. Maybe making comparisons to The Witcher 3 is unfair, but yeah, give me something on that level when it comes to settlements and villages/cities please, Sucker Punch.
Well... so I'm actually ok with how Ghost 1 did settlements and NPC's and side quests. I think it's because AssCreed kind of tried to mimic W3 and failed so miserably that I appreciated how Ghost kept it real simple. It felt elegant, which is appropriate to the whole samurai thing. At no point playing and replaying Ghost did I want more of anything. And I happened to really like the combat a LOT- I'm sure they'll add more "stuff" (we saw the protagonist with two swords and a flail in even this early trailer) but I hope it is basically like the first at its core, I don't want it to turn into Nioh.

I like that it's a different story altogether- new time/place, new protagonist. Jin Sakai was great but he's no Geralt or Kratos, some iconic figure. In fact it's one of the things I do like about AssCreed- it works with different people and it makes the "franchise" more flexible. It is also more welcoming to new players and frees the individual game from the burden of worrying about plot holes and the whole problem of "why does my character need a tutorial if he learned everything in the last game?"

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
And I happened to really like the combat a LOT- I'm sure they'll add more "stuff" (we saw the protagonist with two swords and a flail in even this early trailer) but I hope it is basically like the first at its core, I don't want it to turn into Nioh.
Unlike others I actually quite liked GoT's stance system. It kind of reminded me of how some enemies in the Arkham games could only be attacked in certain ways.

If there was one aspect of combat that was lacking though, it would be defensive abilities. I love parrying in games, but the parry in GoT got old towards the end of the story. Every fight would devolve into me either perfect parrying or perfect dodging then one hit killing each enemy one by one. Granted, this was only really a problem with grunts in the open world. Boss fights felt like they drew out the full potential of combat system much better.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm looking forward to Lady-urai. i know people will complain but so long as she is her own character and not just Jin again but girl it should be fine.
She will be. Considering Lady Ronin is already an at law or labeled an outlaw, she is on a different path than what Jin started with.

Well... so I'm actually ok with how Ghost 1 did settlements and NPC's and side quests. I think it's because AssCreed kind of tried to mimic W3 and failed so miserably that I appreciated how Ghost kept it real simple. It felt elegant, which is appropriate to the whole samurai thing. At no point playing and replaying Ghost did I want more of anything. And I happened to really like the combat a LOT-
Agreed.

I'm sure they'll add more "stuff" (we saw the protagonist with two swords and a flail in even this early trailer) but I hope it is basically like the first at its core, I don't want it to turn into Nioh.
I highly doubt SP will turn into Ni-Oh. From what little combat we see in the trailer, they're clearly keeping that Ghost cinematic combat flavor. Besides, Ni-Oh is more arcade style combat. I like to see new Stance Systems and how dual wielding will tie into it. Hopefully all the stances will be unlocked from the start, and you can upgrade them without having to spy on elite guards or whatever. It wasn't that bad, but I knew to take as many side quests as possible so I could unlock all 4 stances by the 3rd hour mark.

I like that it's a different story altogether- new time/place, new protagonist. Jin Sakai was great but he's no Geralt or Kratos,
Exactly why I love Jin. He may not be "super extra special iconic", but he made enough of an impact that people miss him or wanted see his story continue. Jin is a guy who wanted to do the right thing, but realized the old traditional methods of fighting were hurting way more than helping. Jin had to make sacrifices at the cost of his title and wedging relations with his uncle. I chose to spare Jin's Uncle, because Jin lost enough family already. Plus, I had flasbacks from Travis Touchdown, Kratos, and Nero. That helped. Enough with the siblings and relatives killing each other in fiction. It gets depressing.

Unlike others I actually quite liked GoT's stance system. It kind of reminded me of how some enemies in the Arkham games could only be attacked in certain ways.
Honestly, the stance system reminds me more of DmC (2013), but slightly grounded. I can see the Arkham comparisons though. In a way, this a Batman game in late 1200s Japan.

I love parrying in games, but the parry in GoT got old towards the end of the story. Every fight would devolve into me either perfect parrying or perfect dodging then one hit killing each enemy one by one. Granted, this was only really a problem with grunts in the open world. Boss fights felt like they drew out the full potential of combat system much better.
Parrying with boss fights are the best. Especially with optional boss side quests. With the grunts, I wasn't bored much, even after I perfected the parry timings with them. It just made things more fun, and sells the myth that Jin is this unstoppable bad ass Ghost.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States

If there was one aspect of combat that was lacking though, it would be defensive abilities. I love parrying in games, but the parry in GoT got old towards the end of the story. Every fight would devolve into me either perfect parrying or perfect dodging then one hit killing each enemy one by one. Granted, this was only really a problem with grunts in the open world. Boss fights felt like they drew out the full potential of combat system much better.
Frankly I'm sick of parrying. Every f'n game is f'n parrying now.

The next bold innovation to come in action games is no f'n parrying.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Frankly I'm sick of parrying. Every f'n game is f'n parrying now.
Parrying has been around for a long time. They started propping up in more action games since DMC3, God of War I, and the many GoW clones from the 2000s. Especially in the regular action game genre.

The next bold innovation to come in action games is no f'n parrying.
Already done for you:

• Viewtiful Joe
  • Bayonetta - So long as you don't buy the Moon of Khala accessory.
  • God Hand
  • MadWorld
  • Anachy Reigns
  • No More Heroes - Kinda with Dark Stepping, but this becomes less of the case by the third mainline game.
  • Killer Is Dead
  • Lollipop Chainsaw
  • Oneechanbara before Oneechanbara Origin. Even then, the game will reward either way for alternating. It still favors slighltly more on dodging, depending on the boss.
  • Streets of Rage 4
  • Final Vendetta
  • Double Dragon Neon
  • DmC 2013 - The game has a simple parry system though that is effective. Though dodging is heavily emphasized compared to past titles.
  • Transformers Devastation
  • Double Dragon Gaiden
  • Vanquish
You gotta keep up man.

All of the classic Resident Evil PSX Trilogy is out on GOG now. RE3 came out today.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Parrying has been around for a long time. They started propping up in more action games since DMC3, God of War I, and the many GoW clones from the 2000s. Especially in the regular action game genre.

Already done for you:

• Viewtiful Joe
  • Bayonetta - So long as you don't buy the Moon of Khala accessory.
  • God Hand
  • MadWorld
  • Anachy Reigns
  • No More Heroes - Kinda with Dark Stepping, but this becomes less of the case by the third mainline game.
  • Killer Is Dead
  • Lollipop Chainsaw
  • Oneechanbara before Oneechanbara Origin. Even then, the game will reward either way for alternating. It still favors slighltly more on dodging, depending on the boss.
  • Streets of Rage 4
  • Final Vendetta
  • Double Dragon Neon
  • DmC 2013 - The game has a simple parry system though that is effective. Though dodging is heavily emphasized compared to past titles.
  • Transformers Devastation
  • Double Dragon Gaiden
  • Vanquish
You gotta keep up man.

All of the classic Resident Evil PSX Trilogy is out on GOG now. RE3 came out today.
*sigh* of course I meant NEW games, because I was talking about trends

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Assassin's Creed Shadows Delayed to February 2025 - IGN

Cue the response that this shows how busted AssCreed/Ubisoft is from some of the folks who claim they are ok with games being delayed to fix/improve issues.

I was actually wondering the other day how much the Christmas shopping season means to retail any more, given how popular February has become for video game releases in these last few years. Well Ubi certainly seems to feel that whatever issues the game has is more important to deal with than whatever value Christmas season might have.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
*sigh* of course I meant NEW games, because I was talking about trends
Some of the games on the list are new. Not new new, but still a year or two old.

Oh, and Spark The Jester 3 is all about dodging too. Sonic Froniters has parrying, but it's so easy do, dodging becomes more fun.

Phantom Blade 0 has dodge slow-mo and parrying, but it encourages a mix of both. Face it dude, parrying his to stay. There are plenty of games that get right, and you're always going to have a few that fuck it up. Also, people love doing bad ass blocking or countering attacks. Just don't play the games then.

Assassin's Creed Shadows Delayed to February 2025 - IGN

Cue the response that this shows how busted AssCreed/Ubisoft is from some of the folks who claim they are ok with games being delayed to fix/improve issues.

I was actually wondering the other day how much the Christmas shopping season means to retail any more, given how popular February has become for video game releases in these last few years. Well Ubi certainly seems to feel that whatever issues the game has is more important to deal with than whatever value Christmas season might have.
Gee Ubisoft, you're really setting yourselves up for failure. I swear, they learned nothing from the Rayman Legends fiasco.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Well, good luck. It's a brutal, brutal market to be releasing a hero shooter in. At least a 4 team split is unique tho.

Reactions: Satinavian

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Well, good luck. It's a brutal, brutal market to be releasing a hero shooter in. At least a 4 team split is unique tho.
Wow they must have been shitting they're pant a few week back where Concord got shut down after a week.