SPORTS BALL!!! v2.0

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Something fairly funny happened here yesterday. One of the frequent contributors to the sports show here is our sports betting insider. He called us this year for the first time after the NFL season opener. He's from Baltimore. We're in Kansas. Chiefs beat the Ravens by a toe the night before. We had a laugh about it. Yesterday he was scheduled again. The night before, the Royals put the Orioles out of the playoffs.

We're still good, he's still laughing and joking with us. But if this keeps happening... I mean, chances aren't terrible that Chiefs/Ravens winds up a playoff matchup.
Curious, is this guy a "homer," i.e.: are the Raven and the Orioles his favorite teams, or as a sports betting insider, is he more objectively focused on performance and less emotionally prone perceived rivalries and superstition?

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Curious, is this guy a "homer," i.e.: are the Raven and the Orioles his favorite teams, or as a sports betting insider, is he more objectively focused on performance and less emotionally prone perceived rivalries and superstition?
No, he's pretty objective professionally. But he's a fan of the Ravens and Orioles. Meaning he could take this in stride... unless it keeps happening for longer than his breaking point. Fans can be irrational, and there is a breaking point.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Well, THAT sucked. My 49ers lost to the Cardinals, and have a short week ahead as we face another divisional opponent at the Seahawks this Thursday. The only thing I was looking forward to was the Cowboys losing to the Steelers, and after an hours-long weather delay, they literally WON in the final seconds with a play that if they ran it 100 times, it would fail 99 times. So, in came the hate texts. Cowboys fans truly are insufferable; how I call any of them "friends" is beyond me.

To all the Cowboys fans out there:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
New York Jets fire head coach Robert Saleh after a "disappointing" start to the 2024 season.

This is just dumb. Yes, I have a soft spot for Saleh as he was the defensive coordinator for the 49ers for a few years, but two and a third years in an already notoriously broken system to “prove” his worth and right the ship was too lofty an expectation if that was the case. The only substantial move they Jets have made in YEARS was acquiring Aaron Rodgers, and that ************ made it a whole FOUR plays of his first game as a Jet in 2023 before suffering a season-ending injury, so effectively, Saleh got 5 games and four plays out of Rodgers before ownership decided the problem was Saleh… How fucked up is that?? It’s like if you give a contractor 3 months to build a house, but only a tenth of the materials to start. Then it took two and a half months for the rest of the materials show up, and you fire the contractor because the house wasn’t completed within the last two weeks of the original agreement.

Rodgers was NEVER the solution to all the Jets’ woes, so expecting the head coach to make them viable immediately upon getting a healthy Rodgers was objectively unreasonable. He needed at least the whole season; let Rodgers acclimate outside of practice, learn the team, learn the schemes, acquire the talent Rodgers has already been very vocal about needing, etc. But now, 1 and 5, fire the coach and leave a vacuum and instability at a critical leadership position, yeah, that sounds like a recipe for immediate success (fucking idiots…)

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
New York Jets fire head coach Robert Saleh after a "disappointing" start to the 2024 season.

This is just dumb. Yes, I have a soft spot for Saleh as he was the defensive coordinator for the 49ers for a few years, but two and a third years in an already notoriously broken system to “prove” his worth and right the ship was too lofty an expectation if that was the case. The only substantial move they Jets have made in YEARS was acquiring Aaron Rodgers, and that ************ made it a whole FOUR plays of his first game as a Jet in 2023 before suffering a season-ending injury, so effectively, Saleh got 5 games and four plays out of Rodgers before ownership decided the problem was Saleh… How fucked up is that?? It’s like if you give a contractor 3 months to build a house, but only a tenth of the materials to start. Then it took two and a half months for the rest of the materials show up, and you fire the contractor because the house wasn’t completed within the last two weeks of the original agreement.

Rodgers was NEVER the solution to all the Jets’ woes, so expecting the head coach to make them viable immediately upon getting a healthy Rodgers was objectively unreasonable. He needed at least the whole season; let Rodgers acclimate outside of practice, learn the team, learn the schemes, acquire the talent Rodgers has already been very vocal about needing, etc. But now, 1 and 5, fire the coach and leave a vacuum and instability at a critical leadership position, yeah, that sounds like a recipe for immediate success (fucking idiots…)
The solution wasn't Rodgers, no matter how much darkness he mires in or ghee he crams into himself until his bowels are basically slip-n-slides with a fire hose at the end. Having said that, Saleh probably wasn't an immediate fix either. But you are right, they didn't give him a chance.

One of the hosts of my show said that he was good with the move because "they had to do something" AND "benching or getting rid of Aaron Rodgers isn't on the table because of how much they paid for him." During the break, I told the other host... that was complete BS. You don't HAVE to do something. Just keep running AR out there with inadequate protection, accept the tank, get better picks. But if anyone is still holding out hope this season... it doesn't matter how much you paid for Rodgers. Go grab someone like Trey Lance, whom you wouldn't have to pay for a lil while. Basically any back-up in the league is better than a 40-year-old head case like Rodgers. Even if you are tanking, someone else would probably be better for morale and the locker room.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The solution wasn't Rodgers, no matter how much darkness he mires in or ghee he crams into himself until his bowels are basically slip-n-slides with a fire hose at the end. Having said that, Saleh probably wasn't an immediate fix either. But you are right, they didn't give him a chance.

One of the hosts of my show said that he was good with the move because "they had to do something" AND "benching or getting rid of Aaron Rodgers isn't on the table because of how much they paid for him." During the break, I told the other host... that was complete BS. You don't HAVE to do something. Just keep running AR out there with inadequate protection, accept the tank, get better picks. But if anyone is still holding out hope this season... it doesn't matter how much you paid for Rodgers. Go grab someone like Trey Lance, whom you wouldn't have to pay for a lil while. Basically any back-up in the league is better than a 40-year-old head case like Rodgers. Even if you are tanking, someone else would probably be better for morale and the locker room.
The Jets have no patience and no common sense. They seemed to think they're ONE piece away from a Super Bowl, and blew their load on Rodgers who subsequently went and blew out his knee, and five games later, the problem is Saleh? They should be ashamed of themselves.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
The Jets have no patience and no common sense. They seemed to think they're ONE piece away from a Super Bowl, and blew their load on Rodgers who subsequently went and blew out his knee, and five games later, the problem is Saleh? They should be ashamed of themselves.
As awful an idea as that was... I still don't think it was quite as bad as Denver doing the same for Russell Wilson. And the Jets were arguably closer to "one piece away" than Denver was. What does make the Jets decision worse, they had just SEEN how awfully that went in Denver. I heard people faulting the Steelers for picking up Wilson, but frankly they paid nearly nothing for him... little to lose there, plus a decent gain if someone (I've heard Miami was sniffing around) has a QB spot to fill and something the Steelers want. Hell, he might work out better for the Jets than Aaron Rodgers even though I can't imagine them wanting to give anything they still have up for a deal like that.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
As awful an idea as that was... I still don't think it was quite as bad as Denver doing the same for Russell Wilson. And the Jets were arguably closer to "one piece away" than Denver was. What does make the Jets decision worse, they had just SEEN how awfully that went in Denver. I heard people faulting the Steelers for picking up Wilson, but frankly they paid nearly nothing for him... little to lose there, plus a decent gain if someone (I've heard Miami was sniffing around) has a QB spot to fill and something the Steelers want. Hell, he might work out better for the Jets than Aaron Rodgers even though I can't imagine them wanting to give anything they still have up for a deal like that.
And the inanity gets worse (or better if schadenfreude is your thing): Jets just stripped offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett of play calling duties, the same Hackett with strong ties to Aaron Rodgers. Robert Saleh was a defensive coordinator before becoming head coach, and under is regime, the Jets were consistently a top 10 defense. The Jets offense it what has been their biggest problem, apparently even WITH a healthy and able Aaron Rodgers... so it makes total sense that they fired their strength, and merely demoted their weakness. The Jets are in a toxic relationship with failure, and I sincerely, sincerely hope they shit the bed for the rest of the season. And I'm not talking about tanking, oh no, I mean I hope they really try and it all just falls apart despite their best efforts. I hate the Cowboys, and I hate the Seahawks, but the Jets have just become my least favorite team, and yes, there is a distinction. You at least respect a hated enemy; but one you can't be bothered to consider as little more then a waste of time and effort is beyond pathetic.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
The perfect female president doesn't exi...

Harris for president. Also, divorce your husband and make me your first gentleman.
Oh, related. The 49ers looked pretty good last night. Came out of halftime a little flat, but managed to finish strong. With McCaffrey out I was kind of skeptical... but it seems like the offensive mindset is "hey, just plug in whomever and we can deal with whatever." But that was a fun game, the Achilles heel for both teams seemed to be the big gamebreaker. And that is not only entertaining, but better for the 49ers than most.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Holy fucking shit, my birthday came early this year. The Cowboys didn't just lose, they got fucking curb stomped, 47 to 9. NINE. The Lions had as many scoring drives as the Cowboys had points. It was so bad, that Jerry Jones actually went on his routine appearance on 105.3 FM The Fan radio show with Shan and RJ, and threatened to have them "fired" because he didn't have answers for the tough questions he had to respond to.

The Cowboys are the kind of mess that haters dream about. I actually set my alarm to watch Stephen A. Smith on First Take because, as their most notorious hater, I knew the sheer joy he would take from Sunday's abysmal outing would be a spectacle, and he didn't fail me. Thoroughly roasted were the Cowboys. Jerry Jones has been forced to look in the mirror, and what happens next is strictly on his shoulders. My Niners have another loss coming up next week against the Chiefs (I've accepted it,) but we have the Cowboys after that, and it's my sincerest wish that we catch them with their pants down as they currently are.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Holy fucking shit, my birthday came early this year. The Cowboys didn't just lose, they got fucking curb stomped, 47 to 9. NINE. The Lions had as many scoring drives as the Cowboys had points. It was so bad, that Jerry Jones actually went on his routine appearance on 105.3 FM The Fan radio show with Shan and RJ, and threatened to have them "fired" because he didn't have answers for the tough questions he had to respond to.
Sunday's game was so wonderful! Our
Lions are motivated and working as a team!

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

The Cowboys are the kind of mess that haters dream about. I actually set my alarm to watch Stephen A. Smith on First Take because, as their most notorious hater, I knew the sheer joy he would take from Sunday's abysmal outing would be a spectacle, and he didn't fail me. Thoroughly roasted were the Cowboys. Jerry Jones has been forced to look in the mirror, and what happens next is strictly on his shoulders. My Niners have another loss coming up next week against the Chiefs (I've accepted it,) but we have the Cowboys after that, and it's my sincerest wish that we catch them with their pants down as they currently are.
The Cowboy's game was like the easiest game to predict of the year. I knew the Lions were just gonna run all over them (same as what Rex Ryan and Dan Orlovsky said in the video below); I didn't realize it was also a revenge game for the Lions, they ran a hook and ladder play to a fucking lineman. In my Pick'em league, I got every single game right and came in tied for 1st (in score tiebreaker on Monday night, I picked 42 for the score and the other guy picked 44 and they scored 43). I'd say the Niners got a 50/50 chance (eh, maybe a 33% chance since the Chiefs coming off a bye) to win against the Chiefs; the Chiefs don't blow out teams really and it's usually a one score game, the Chiefs can be gotten by any good team in the regular season, the playoffs are a different story though.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The Cowboy's game was like the easiest game to predict of the year. I knew the Lions were just gonna run all over them (same as what Rex Ryan and Dan Orlovsky said in the video below); I didn't realize it was also a revenge game for the Lions, they ran a hook and ladder play to a fucking lineman. In my Pick'em league, I got every single game right and came in tied for 1st (in score tiebreaker on Monday night, I picked 42 for the score and the other guy picked 44 and they scored 43). I'd say the Niners got a 50/50 chance (eh, maybe a 33% chance since the Chiefs coming off a bye) to win against the Chiefs; the Chiefs don't blow out teams really and it's usually a one score game, the Chiefs can be gotten by any good team in the regular season, the playoffs are a different story though.

Jerry Jones is a joke. He spends his billion dollar time holding out for players he has instead of looking to build the team he needs to win. A quarter of a billion dollars later for Dak, and his team can’t win at home?? "America’s Team" my ass. I'd say "fuck the Cowboys," but they're doing a pretty good job fucking themselves, so I won't waste the breath.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Jerry Jones is a joke. He spends his billion dollar time holding out for players he has instead of looking to build the team he needs to win. A quarter of a billion dollars later for Dak, and his team can’t win at home?? "America’s Team" my ass. I'd say "fuck the Cowboys," but they're doing a pretty good job fucking themselves, so I won't waste the breath.
Nowadays when you got a mid-tier QB, you're in a tough spot because they are asking for so much money. If you pay them, you can't really compete for super bowl because you can't afford a roster good enough to win with that QB. If you don't pay them, tough luck trying to find a QB good enough to make the playoffs. Jerry's been old for awhile now and I don't think he wants to go through a real rebuild because you'll have years where you just ain't good at all.