Musk Unveils CyberCab; Tesla Stock Loses $40 Billion In Value

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

I have a few observations:

- It's hilarious how Musk thinks he's going to have self-driving solved for these things when he still can't get it working in Teslas

- Under $30k for a self-driving electric car is... supremely ambitious, and to veer a little towards politics, I think Musk is depending very heavily on subsidies from a Trump government

- The car has no charging port and will, according to Musk, recharge through parking over an induction pad; Tesla had better have invested in some good technology to overcome the inherent inefficiency of wireless charging

Reactions: BrawlMan

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
- The car has no charging port and will, according to Musk, recharge through parking over an induction pad; Tesla had better have invested in some good technology to overcome the inherent inefficiency of wireless charging
Deliberately made it incompatible with existing stuff can sometimes work in a greedy business sense, but I doubt it will here.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Wireless charging is usually about 70-90% efficient compared to wired. Given the relative costs of electric to fossil fuel, that's still pretty viable.

So I read this recently: it puts automatic cars into perspective. In the future, you not only have to buy a car upfront and then pay the maintenance, but now you've also got to pay the car company a sum every month/year for the privilege of the company not rendering your car non-functional.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
So I read this recently: it puts automatic cars into perspective. In the future, you not only have to buy a car upfront and then pay the maintenance, but now you've also got to pay the car company a sum every month/year for the privilege of the company not rendering your car non-functional.
On the other hand, sooner or later a talented or lucky hacker is going to become legendary.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Wireless charging is usually about 70-90% efficient compared to wired. Given the relative costs of electric to fossil fuel, that's still pretty viable.
It also causes your battery to heat up more and causes it to degrade faster, but I'm sure having to replace batteries more often doesn't benefit Tesla in any way...

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Surprised no one has mentioned that the car is only a two seater. Which seems counter intuitive to the whole self driving thing.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
It's not as if those vulnerabilities don't already exist, even: https://www.wired.com/story/kia-web-vulnerability-vehicle-hack-track/
Having your car hacked and tracked is bad.

But in terms of safety, I'm possibly more worried about them hacking your steering, acceleration and brakes. The cybertruck already steers electronically. The acceleration if not already could easily follow. I imagine that basic vehicle safety regulations might demand a mechanical brake... but do they?

For instance, I believe the cybertruck is illegal in Europe because it fails pedestrian safety standards - the design is deeply hostile to the health and survivability of squishies it might accidentally hit. As far as I am aware, the USA... has no regulations for the protection of pedestrians. I mean, it's probably got some of those bogus "self-regulation" regulations, which of course approximate to no regulation. (Just like for instance Boeing was effectively allowed to self-regulate, and we all know how Boeing is doing currently.)

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
For instance, I believe the cybertruck is illegal in Europe because it fails pedestrian safety standards - the design is deeply hostile to the health and survivability of squishies it might accidentally hit.
That is correct, but not just pedestrian safety. It fails a bunch of European road and safety standards.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
This new cybercab will also never be allowed on Europes road. No emergency driver controls for a self driving car ? Forget it.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Let's talk about the elephant in the room

View attachment 12024
Is it tho?

Tesla autonomous cars can't go 10 miles without doing something suicidal. It doesn't seem that way, because we literally practice it from birth, but basic humanoid movement is already vastly more complex than anything a car does, let alone the level of ability, and more importantly, understanding that would be required for an android assistant to be viable (and safe).

I wouldn't trust one of these things to not murder me in my sleep with a toilet brush because it hallucinated my mouth is a toilet in need of cleaning.