The last thing we watched, cartoon/animu edition

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I watched Episode 1 of Dandadan, and I might've been more positive if the first episode didn't throw in a high school girl in her underwear shown from various tantalizing angles and under threat of sexual assault, and it didn't end with nerdy glasses loser guy set up to be her true love. This might be a set-up for a rug pull later on, but with how sick I am of this shit in anime already I just really fucking can't with this.
That's fair. It feels very classically "mangaka makes an edgy first chapter before they realize the series can be profitable long term". I'm hope the rest of the season moves away from that stuff.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I watched Episode 1 of Dandadan, and I might've been more positive if the first episode didn't throw in a high school girl in her underwear shown from various tantalizing angles and under threat of sexual assault, and it didn't end with nerdy glasses loser guy set up to be her true love. This might be a set-up for a rug pull later on, but with how sick I am of this shit in anime already I just really fucking can't with this.
To me, its very much a case of a show being carried by its animation and everything is just kinda there.

The main girl is a fun character, but she's saddle with nerdy guy character and become just another manic pixie girl.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
To me, its very much a case of a show being carried by its animation and everything is just kinda there.

The main girl is a fun character, but she's saddle with nerdy guy character and become just another manic pixie girl.
The animation is definitely the highlight, but it's often too manic itself. Once designs start to lose their cohesion during a regular conversation it's difficult for me to not want to step out of the car.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The Twilight of the Gods. Man this is just relentlessly horny. To the point that its kind of annoying.

I do appreciate the art style though. And so far I am interested in the mystery and scheming. I'll definitely finish it, but I do think this would be so much better without all the Snyder-isms.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Honestly, he's toned down a lot in comparison to Rebel Moon and some of his other works. It's the animation that helps sells it.
That's the thing though, his slow mo is still somehow still incredibly obnoxious. It's kinda crazy to see slow mo used in animation so poorly, when it's probably one of the things the medium does so much better than live action.

Anyway, I finished the season in a night and I regret it. Definitely not worth it, with such a flop of a finale.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Currently watching Scavengers Reign on netflix.

The survivors of some kind of space ship catastrophe try to survive on an alien planet.

I'm 4 episodes in (out of 12) and I'm really liking it. This is some sci-fi ass sci-fi. The whole show hinges on how imaginative and interesting the alien planet is, and the crew interacting with the wildly strange flora and fauna.

It's worth a watch just for the creativity of the creature designs.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's the thing though, his slow mo is still somehow still incredibly obnoxious. It's kinda crazy to see slow mo used in animation so poorly, when it's probably one of the things the medium does so much better than live action.
Honestly, the slow mo work to its advantage in this show. I do admit, the finale is rushed and obviously setting up a second season. I would have preferred the show to be a one off. With the great reception it's getting, it is more than likely that second season is happening.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Honestly, the slow mo work to its advantage in this shoe. I do amid the finale is rushed and obviously setting up a second season. I would have referred the show to be a one off. With great reception it's getting. It's more than likely that second season is happening
I don't know why this comment made me laugh so hard.

There's just something wrong with literally every sentence (the second to last sentence isn't a full sentence and last one is also missing a period).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't know why this comment made me laugh so hard.

There's just something wrong with literally every sentence (the second to last sentence isn't a full sentence and last one is also missing a period).
Even on a new phone, google speak still sucks. It actually performs worst than my old phone with Google speak.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Even on a new phone, google speak still sucks. It actually performs worst than my own phone with Google speak.
At least you have that excuse. I have a friend who texts the group chat incomprehensible gibberish because his fingers are too big to accurately type on his phone and he's too lazy to proofread anything. Like 90% of our conversations have someone going "what the fuck does this say?!"

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Dandadan and Blue Box are so far not particularly living up to the hype. They're entertaining enough, but the pacing of both shows feel rather slow. Dandadan episode 2 especially has the characters just mindlessly running around, and I suspect that they stretched out one or two pages in the manga to like 10 minutes or something.

Ranma 1/2 on the other hand is quite fun. It's such a classicly stupid anime premise.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Dandadan and Blue Box are so far not particularly living up to the hype. They're entertaining enough, but the pacing of both shows feel rather slow. Dandadan episode 2 especially has the characters just mindlessly running around, and I suspect that they stretched out one or two pages in the manga to like 10 minutes or something.
Yeah, I'm watching Dandadan and really trying to like it, but it's just not clicking with me. There's a lot of elements to it that I really like, but it feels like less than the sum of its parts somehow.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Yeah, I'm watching Dandadan and really trying to like it, but it's just not clicking with me. There's a lot of elements to it that I really like, but it feels like less than the sum of its parts somehow.
I think it's mainly due to us being two episodes in and we still don't particularly understand what the point of this show is even going to be. I've heard that a good bunch of the manga is about the dude getting his family jewels back, but the show makes it sound like all we need to do is take a trip back to the haunted tunnel. Episode 2 feels like it had half and episode of content.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I remembered this. Forgot most of the show, but remembered this almost thirty years later. Women...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I remembered this. Forgot most of the show, but remembered this almost thirty years later. Women...

Breezie is a jack ass to a villain. Robotnik's nephew, if I remember correctly. So what? I know she was made by Robotnik in that version at the start and was a villain herself. I know it's been a minute, since I've seen the original cartoon, but its not the only 90s show the only one guilty of that when it come to male or female characters being that big of an asshole.

Last edited: