Beta Feedback Thread

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It would be nice to see a post's edit history.

On GameFAQs, for example, when you click a post's number you get to see all of its edits.
This would've been terrible on the old forums. I had to multiple-edit so many posts so many times because I'd see I'd missed some of those stupid ?'s that end up all over the place.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
This would've been terrible on the old forums. I had to multiple-edit so many posts so many times because I'd see I'd missed some of those stupid ?'s that end up all over the place.
How would it have been terrible? Just because a post was edited, doesn't mean that people are forced to look at its history.

Last edited:

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
How would it have been terrible? Just because a post was edited, doesn't mean that people are forced to look at its post history.
I don't really see a point in regular users being able to see the post history for any reason other than playing "gotcha", and I'd rather the old sniping get left behind with the old forums.

Reactions: Yoshi

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I don't really see a point in regular users being able to see the post history for any reason other than playing "gotcha", and I'd rather the old sniping get left behind with the old forums.
One would assume that the proper etiquette would be to not edit one's post to a point where a "gotcha" could be made, but to issue a correction in a later post, or use the edit feature to add to a previous post, rather than alter it.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
One would assume that the proper etiquette would be to not edit one's post to a point where a "gotcha" could be made, but to issue a correction in a later post, or use the edit feature to add to a previous post, rather than alter it.
In which case, why would you need the post history?

Reactions: Yoshi

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
How would it have been terrible? Just because a post was edited, doesn't mean that people are forced to look at its history.
Because people would wonder what the hell happened when they see a ton of edit history. I guess it seems kinda pointless to me to have a history of everything the user didn't intend for previously.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
There was a thread in the Comics & Books section about books you're currently reading. It's disappeared, did it get deleted?

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I seem to be unable to post. In the console I get a 403 error when I try to post, and it appears to be attempting to do some Captcha check, but it isn't showing me anything.

Watch, this post will go through, but the other one won't...
edit: Yep, called it.

Okay, doing more troubleshooting reveals that it might be something in the body of the post that I actually want to make. I was able to make a post saying "test post", but then when I edit that and paste in what I really want to say, I get the same nondescript error. It's not over 10000 characters.

Okay, I've found that it's something in one half of my message. I narrowed it down by trying to post the top half of my comment (didn't work), and then the bottom half (worked). But now I can't edit or post the top-half anywhere, so it must be something in there that the system doesn't like.

Can we get actual descriptive error messages please?

I narrowed the error down to the link I was trying to make, where I'd link to a specific post (#181) by doing "copy link" after right-clicking on the post number. It works here. It doesn't work there, for some reason. I can't edit this link into my post without it throwing an error.

Last edited:

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
It might be a good time to consider adding a "Forum Games" board. For threads like the following where there's no discussion value:

https://forums.escapistmagazine.com/threads/say-something-at-the-above-avatars-funeral.117/
https://forums.escapistmagazine.com/threads/no-context-images.103/
https://forums.escapistmagazine.com/threads/the-badass-name-game.104/

For reference, this is what the old one looked like:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Did they remove the cover image that a thread creator can add? I don't see the option or the covers I set anymore, which sucks cause I kinda love that feature.

EDIT: Nevermind, seems to be back now, must have just been a bug.

Last edited:

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I'm sure someone brought this up before but having so many subforums at the very beginning feels like putting the cart before the horse a bit. Instead of thinly spreading the existing community over a lot of smaller boards I feel it'd be smarter to have a larger, Off Topic board and then make more specialized ones as the demand arises.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I'm sure someone brought this up before but having so many subforums at the very beginning feels like putting the cart in front of the horse a bit. Instead of thinly spreading the existing community over a lot of smaller boards I feel it'd be smarter to have a larger, Off Topic board and then make more specialized ones as the demand arises.
I agree with this, but people keep asking for more subforums.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
I'm sure someone brought this up before but having so many subforums at the very beginning feels like putting the cart in front of the horse a bit. Instead of thinly spreading the existing community over a lot of smaller boards I feel it'd be smarter to have a larger, Off Topic board and then make more specialized ones as the demand arises.
We'll probably hold off on more sub-forums for a bit for the reason you described. We just launched The Escapist + today so I'm expecting a new influx of members over the next couple weeks. We'll revisit then.

Caramel Frappe

Legacy
Dec 10, 2010
California
Country
United States
Any chance of quizzes coming back? I used to LOVE doing those, based on movies / games / ect. and you'd be given badges for nailing the quiz, or getting a result based on your personality. Even if they didn't offer 'badges', I enjoyed those a lot regardless because they were usually entertaining and tested your knowledge on said topic.

A lot of people displayed their badges with pride, showing how they nailed something or wanted people to know what they were into, because badges in general (usually 5 pictures below your avatar when posting) would say something about said user.

Now granted, this could cause egotism and other mishaps like "i'm better than you" kind of stuff, but it's something I brush to the side because I loved collecting badges, but even if we don't get those, quizzes were a thing I was very passionate about. (It also didn't help I eventually was given access to making said quizzes, and I made a handful of them like the Team Fortress 2 personality quiz, MLP quiz, Overwatch part 2 & 2 personality quizzes, and a handful of quizzes testing people's knowledge. I regret making the Samurai Jack quiz more on trivia around the show, than the show itself. With that said, I miss these a lot)

Topaz

Surprise Mechanic
Legacy
Mar 31, 2020
Also, can we get directions to the page that gives instructions on formatting posts in the FAQ? I was there one time, but I can't remember how to get back.
You mean this?

You can find it by going to the "Help" link in the bottom navbar, and then clicking "BB codes" in the contents list on the left.

But in all honesty, it's not really needed. Unless you want to do advanced stuff like syntax-highlighted programming code or whatever.
We actually have a full formatting editor now (unlike the old forum), and anything you want to embed can be done just by pasting the link (images, youtube, etc). You don't have to know all the embed codes anymore.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Is there a way to have notifications (that is, the notifications bell at the top of the screen) be triggered, but not to receive an email about it? Seems to be both or neither for me, in regards to someone commenting on a thread I've posted in or the like.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Is there a way to have notifications (that is, the notifications bell at the top of the screen) be triggered, but not to receive an email about it? Seems to be both or neither for me, in regards to someone commenting on a thread I've posted in or the like.
Go to your account in the top right and click on "Preferences" and you can adjust your notifications in there, including emails.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
You mean this?

You can find it by going to the "Help" link in the bottom navbar, and then clicking "BB codes" in the contents list on the left.

But in all honesty, it's not really needed. Unless you want to do advanced stuff like syntax-highlighted programming code or whatever.
We actually have a full formatting editor now (unlike the old forum), and anything you want to embed can be done just by pasting the link (images, youtube, etc). You don't have to know all the embed codes anymore.
Yeah, that's it. I still think it at least deserves a mention in the FAQ, since some people might like to use the codes so they don't need to go back and forth between keyboard and mouse.

OT: Also, I still think the color of of the username being quoted is too dark. If there's a tiny bit of glare on my screen I can't read the name and need to highlight it to make it out.