Beta Feedback Thread

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I'm sorry if this question was addressed before (if it was, I can't find the response anywhere), but is there anyway to use my old account from v1? I had to create this one because apparently the old account was not found here on v2.

Don't get me wrong, I love the new look and the process of creating the new account was easy, but I prefer to continue using my old account. Does it have anything to do with me being not a legacy or Escapist +?

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
I'm sorry if this question was addressed before (if it was, I can't find the response anywhere), but is there anyway to use my old account from v1? I had to create this one because apparently the old account was not found here on v2.

Don't get me wrong, I love the new look and the process of creating the new account was easy, but I prefer to continue using my old account. Does it have anything to do with me being not a legacy or Escapist +?
We're on completely new software with V2 and account migrations were not possible, no. Doesn't have anything to do with Legacy or +.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada

Post a link to your old account in this thread and you get the legacy badge.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Really? 3 image limit in posts? All these restrictions are really cramping the posting around here.

Edit: Also, is there a list of mods somewhere

Last edited:

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Really? 3 image limit in posts? All these restrictions are really cramping the posting around here.

Edit: Also, is there a list of mods somewhere
I'm pretty sure that's just an upload limit. You have to understand that we need these forums to be fast to build traffic to them from Google, so hosting all those files on our server isn't really necessary when you can just link them in by URL. If it's limited to just three by URL, I'll dig into that.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I'm pretty sure that's just an upload limit. You have to understand that we need these forums to be fast to build traffic to them from Google, so hosting all those files on our server isn't really necessary when you can just link them in by URL. If it's limited to just three by URL, I'll dig into that.
It shouldn't be, because I uploaded them to imgur, then added them by url from the 'insert image' button. If that uploads them to the Escapist server, I'm not sure why.

Edit: Example thread. They are definitely still hosted on imgur.

DarthSeaBass

Apr 28, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
I couldn't find a better place to post this but I'm not able to watch some of the videos, my ad block is disabled so are you paywalling stuff now?

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
I couldn't find a better place to post this but I'm not able to watch some of the videos, my ad block is disabled so are you paywalling stuff now?
No, we are not paywalling anything. Not sure what's going on with the BRID player and why it's not displaying. You may need to try another browser or go into incognito.

Reactions: DarthSeaBass

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
It'd be nice if it were possible to put an outgoing url in a quote header.

Like, if I'm quoting Wikipedia I could do something like, [ QUOTE = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quote]Quotation is the repetition of someone else's statement or thoughts. Quotation marks are punctuation marks used in text to indicate a quotation. Both of these words are sometimes abbreviated as "quote(s)". [ /QUOTE ]

and get something like:

Quotation is the repetition of someone else's statement or thoughts. Quotation marks are punctuation marks used in text to indicate a quotation. Both of these words are sometimes abbreviated as "quote(s)".
Rolled into one box, so it'd be clear where I'm quoting from and people could follow the link for verification or more information or whatever. Unless this is somehow already possible and I'm not seeing it

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I don't know if this had ever been responded to as this is a long thread and the time I did see it brought up (on page 9) wasn't responded to so I wanted to ask...

In Dark Theme Mode, seeing the names of people who have quoted is way too dark. On the computer, you can kind of see it but if you're on the phone, you can't read the name of the quoted at all without just zooming in to see. Is there any plan or any way to have it so that you can either brighten it up or at least make that kind of thing customizable for the user?

EDIT: Oh hey, now it is white instead of dark purple on dark gray! With how quickly that was done, I'm assuming my comment had no bearing on that being fixed but I'm gonna take credit anyway! Good job Tippy! Thanks Tippy!

Last edited:

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
I don't know if this had ever been responded to as this is a long thread and the time I did see it brought up (on page 9) wasn't responded to so I wanted to ask...

In Dark Theme Mode, seeing the names of people who have quoted is way too dark. On the computer, you can kind of see it but if you're on the phone, you can't read the name of the quoted at all without just zooming in to see. Is there any plan or any way to have it so that you can either brighten it up or at least make that kind of thing customizable for the user?

EDIT: Oh hey, now it is white instead of dark purple on dark gray! With how quickly that was done, I'm assuming my comment had no bearing on that being fixed but I'm gonna take credit anyway! Good job Tippy! Thanks Tippy!
Nah, saw your comment this morning and got that fixed. Kept forgetting to pass that one on. Crazy busy getting this Indie Showcase together.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Nah, saw your comment this morning and got that fixed. Kept forgetting to pass that one on. Crazy busy getting this Indie Showcase together.
Yay! Tippy helped!!!

It looks much better this way so I appreciate the change.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I miss the dropdown with all the links to the subforum. Saved a click having to go back to the top level of a forum.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Can we disable having to do the 2 factor authentication for using the same machine? It seems like overkill for gaming forum site and its annoying.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Wasn't this already made optional? You can disable 2 step verification under Password and security.
I need to wait till my account lock ends since its not taking the password I set to check that, but I like having 2fa but having it have to be refreshed every month seems really excessive.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It'd be nice if it were possible to put an outgoing url in a quote header.

Like, if I'm quoting Wikipedia I could do something like,
[URL said:
Quotation is the repetition of someone else's statement or thoughts. Quotation marks are punctuation marks used in text to indicate a quotation. Both of these words are sometimes abbreviated as "quote(s)".
and get something like:

Rolled into one box, so it'd be clear where I'm quoting from and people could follow the link for verification or more information or whatever. Unless this is somehow already possible and I'm not seeing it
Fixed top part (I think?). That’s one thing idk about if it’s just from an iPhone update or what, but when I paste a link to quote URL’s it automatically puts a space in there and you have to delete it before it posts correctly. Happened on the v1 boards too.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Fixed top part (I think?). That’s one thing idk about if it’s just from an iPhone update or what, but when I paste a link to quote URL’s it automatically puts a space in there and you have to delete it before it posts correctly. Happened on the v1 boards too.
Oh, I put those spaces it so I could post the actual code for an example.

Actually, that's something nice about this forum: it actually respects whitespace. You can put as many spaces in between words

or paragraphs and it will output them the same way. Unlike the old forum which always reduced it to one and ignored spaces in the BBC code.

Edit: Actually it looks like it only lets you have more spaces between paragraphs and not words.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Oh, also, even though I have email notifications turned off, I'm still getting them.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I think the text formatting could use a little work. With the site defaults (dark theme, medium text), I find it a bit difficult to notice when bold is being used unless I already know it's supposed to be there. For the sake of illustration, I randomly bolded three words in this sentence (four in the paragraph). I'm the one who put them in bold, and it still takes me a few seconds to see it, and even then I only see it when I slow down my reading to focus on them. That rather defeats the purpose of bolding in the first place.

Reactions: Drathnoxis