What are you currently playing?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah, the Cock Up cascade really comes to mind here. It really doesn't help that in most missions, any given guard or civilian even catching a sustained glance of you on the street is enough the sound the alarm. There's no neutral ground anywhere on the map and since a civie can and will rat you out(except in a couple of missions), you might as well slaughter the civilians as well as the guards. I don't particularly like the idea of killing non-combatants but since "Stranger=Danger" in their eyes, well....

I mean, yeah, you can play through your mistakes, but since so much as being seen anywhere sets off the alarm, which automatically spawns even more guards who all have guns(if not hard to kill samurai, many of whom also have guns), there's not a lot of incentive to play through your mistakes because the missions just get a lot harder.
Yeah, considering the developers constantly poke you to remind you that you've gone a whopping 60 seconds without quicksaving, it's clearly implied they expect you to royally screw up, and not be able to salvage it, and have to restart from your last save. Which mostly just frustrates me personally. They often give you the illusion of choice in how to tackle your objective, but often it still boils down to just one option, depending on how you approach. Like it's not that if you choose to go down Route X to get to the target, you now have options of X1, X2, X3. No, if you go down X, then X1 is really the only practical way to pull it off. So you end up with things like X1, Y1, and Z1. Each entry point, while different, is still filtered down to one method of approach to actually remove the guards. Which gets tiresome to me.

Reactions: Dalisclock

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I'm still playing Danganronpa, which is a bizarre over-the-top combination of High School sim/Murder Mystery visual novel with class trials that seem like someone saw Ace Attorney's and said: what if we add timers and rhythm game mechanics?).

Reactions: BrawlMan

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I'm still playing Danganronpa, which is a bizarre over-the-top combination of High School sim/Murder Mystery visual novel with class trials that seem like someone saw Ace Attorney's and said: what if we add timers and rhythm game mechanics?).
Also, if they looked at Ace Attorney's cast and said, "what if we had the same characters carried over from one trial to another, so that the audience had time to get to know and care about them, instead of just shuffling everyone along as soon as the trial was over so that the audience never knows anyone involved and finds it harder to get invested in them? Also, an overarching arc instead of just 'there's been another murder, go defend someone'?"

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Yeah, the Cock Up cascade really comes to mind here. It really doesn't help that in most missions, any given guard or civilian even catching a sustained glance of you on the street is enough the sound the alarm. There's no neutral ground anywhere on the map and since a civie can and will rat you out(except in a couple of missions), you might as well slaughter the civilians as well as the guards. I don't particularly like the idea of killing non-combatants but since "Stranger=Danger" in their eyes, well....

I mean, yeah, you can play through your mistakes, but since so much as being seen anywhere sets off the alarm, which automatically spawns even more guards who all have guns(if not hard to kill samurai, many of whom also have guns), there's not a lot of incentive to play through your mistakes because the missions just get a lot harder.
I did find a neat little trick when watching a speedrun of a level. If there's a guard in the "crouching" viewcone of another guard and he's by himself outside of that, you can take him out still. If you have say the shuriken guy for example, you can move up within melee kill range and shuriken him instead so that you can immediately carry him, then drop him as to not alert the other guard.

I forget how alerts work in Shadow Tactics but in Desperados 3, they come out and investigate but then just walk around the area in a set pattern so it hardly makes the area harder as you can just let them pass the spot you're looking to "remove" a guard from. Also, this guy in Desperados has a shotgun that takes out everybody in its cone so the extra alert guards walking around in a group are dead in one shot if I need them to be dead.

I'm sorry, Danganronpa is one of the worst games I've ever played. I'm so glad I bought the physical copy on PS4 so I was able to sell it afterward.

Reactions: Dalisclock

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Well, I think I've gotten stuck in Dark Souls 2. Not that I can't beat a boss or a certain enemy, I just don't know where to go next. I must have missed something somewhere, but I've got no idea what or where.

Here's every bonfire I've lit so far, and the bosses I've defeated:
-Things Betwixt: Fire Keepers' Dwelling
-Majula: The Far Fire (I can't get down the hole)
-Forest of Fallen Giants: Crestfallen's Retreat, Cardinal Tower, Soldier's Rest (Last Giant and Pursuer defeated)
-Heide's Tower of Flame: Heide's Ruin, Tower of Flame (Dragonrider defeated)
-Cathedral of Blue (Old Dragonslayer defeated)
-No Man's Wharf: Unseen Path to Heide (Flexile Sentry defeated)
-The Lost Bastille: Exile Holding Cells, McDuff's Workshop, Servants' Quarters, The Tower Apart (Ruin Sentinels defeated)
-Sinners' Rise: The Saltfort (Lost Sinner defeated, Primal Bonfire activated)
-Shaded Woods: Old Akellare, Ruined Fork Road

Edit: Never mind. Someone outside the site just told me about the mechanism in the Majula entrance to Heide's Tower.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Well, I think I've gotten stuck in Dark Souls 2. Not that I can't beat a boss or a certain enemy, I just don't know where to go next. I must have missed something somewhere, but I've got no idea what or where.

Edit: Never mind. Someone outside the site just told me about the mechanism in the Majula entrance to Heide's Tower.
Ah, yes. the infamous "Hey, you need to go back here to find a new NPC so you can open the new route, but since you can warp between bonfires from the start there's no logical reason to run back through there after the first time and the game never bothers to tell you this" bit.

It feels like further proof the game was originally designed without bonfire warping from the start and was later added in but they didn't bother changing the level design to compensate for it.

Also, It felt really good to kill Licia's griefing ass later

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I'm presently playing "The Guild of Dungeoneering" It's sort of like a strange roguelite table top styled deck building game with quite a cool sense of humour.

The goal is to run a guild and get rich basically by sending hapless dungeoneers to their possible deaths in search of treasure to help the guild get rich. Which often means the Dungeoneers get horribly murdered and you replace them with a new hapless fool.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Ah, yes. the infamous "Hey, you need to go back here to find a new NPC so you can open the new route, but since you can warp between bonfires from the start there's no logical reason to run back through there after the first time and the game never bothers to tell you this" bit.

It feels like further proof the game was originally designed without bonfire warping from the start and was later added in but they didn't bother changing the level design to compensate for it.
The worst part is, I saw her going through the area before so I wouldn't have to fight two of those white-cloaked knights at once by entering the long way from Majula, and I forgot about her.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
The worst part is, I saw her going through the area before so I wouldn't have to fight two of those white-cloaked knights at once by entering the long way from Majula, and I forgot about her.
Everyone does, it's one of the most infamous part of DS2 and one of the reason it's considered inferior to other soul game.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Also, an overarching arc instead of just 'there's been another murder, go defend someone'?"
To be fair, every Ace Attorney game has an overarching arc involving the new prosecutor and it climaxes at the final case.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Completed all of the character story modes in SFV. I've only completed one chapter of the Shadow Falls story, but I don't feel invested to bother finishing it, since I saw the story on YouTube back in 2016 when Max did his playtrough. My fun has been mainly in the all of the arcade modes and causal matches. My only problem with the arcade modes is that none of them have the break the car bonus mode, and only barrel breaking bonus mode. For SF1 Arcade mode this makes sense, but for all of the others, it does not, because every Street Fighter after I and before V had the car breaking stage. Hell, Final Fight was the first game to actually do this. Speaking of Final Fight, I love all of the FFi characters they put in to the game. I care more about what's going on with them, than some of the Street Fighter characters. Then again, I was always more in to Final Fight than Street Fighter half of the time. Cody, Lucia, Poison, Zeku, and Abigail are all fun. Can we get Guy in here too? Lucia, Cody, and Poison being my particular favorites.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Well, I just got as far as Mytha the Baneful Queen, and if anyone here wants to design their own games, take comfort in the fact that whatever unique mechanics you produce won't be anywhere near as bad as the poison water in Dark Souls 2.
-If you stand in it, once you come out of it, you continue taking poison buildup.
-This lasts for an amount of time that's difficult to determine, so you have no real way of knowing if you're going to get actually poisoned and should heal it, or if you can ignore it.
-If you try to dodge in poison water, you get poisoned up to your head, and you're absolutely going to get poisoned from the residual poisoning.
-Enemies who enter poison water? They're fine. Don't get any poison buildup at all, let alone residual poisoning. (Except for the jars full of the stuff in some rooms. Enemies who break those can get poisoned sometimes, so at least there's that.)
-Oh, and the boss arena is full of the stuff, so unless you follow some hard-to-find and not-hinted-at steps to drain it, you're gonna be poisoned for the entire fight. Hope you found enough Estus shards, or the not-hinted-at steps!

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Well, I just got as far as Mytha the Baneful Queen, and if anyone here wants to design their own games, take comfort in the fact that whatever unique mechanics you produce won't be anywhere near as bad as the poison water in Dark Souls 2.
-If you stand in it, once you come out of it, you continue taking poison buildup.
-This lasts for an amount of time that's difficult to determine, so you have no real way of knowing if you're going to get actually poisoned and should heal it, or if you can ignore it.
-If you try to dodge in poison water, you get poisoned up to your head, and you're absolutely going to get poisoned from the residual poisoning.
-Enemies who enter poison water? They're fine. Don't get any poison buildup at all, let alone residual poisoning. (Except for the jars full of the stuff in some rooms. Enemies who break those can get poisoned sometimes, so at least there's that.)
-Oh, and the boss arena is full of the stuff, so unless you follow some hard-to-find and not-hinted-at steps to drain it, you're gonna be poisoned for the entire fight. Hope you found enough Estus shards, or the not-hinted-at steps!
Yeah definitely drain that place beforehand and then wallop her with all you have to end it quickly. How the arena gets drained also foreshadows one of her weaknesses. IIRC I killed her before needing much if any healing items or moss.

Seems like you’re doing well though. The beginning to me is the steepest part of the curve as far as difficulty in the base game, save for a couple later areas. Looking forward to what you think of this game’s version of The Depths and Blighttown, but you may end up agreeing those aren’t really the surprises.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I mean, why would you ever think to Burn the metal looking axle of a windmill to drain a poison pool.? Especially considering there's nothing like that in any of the souls games(not that I remember, anyway).

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I mean, why would you ever think to Burn the metal looking axle of a windmill to drain a poison pool.? Especially considering there's nothing like that in any of the souls games(not that I remember, anyway).
I don’t recall exactly how it spreads from what you do to start it, but it was a nice little surprise.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
You know its been some time since I played my favorite game of all time, Bioshock.
So I think its time to do the Remastered Collection of Bioshock 1 and 2, and then Infinite again. That sounds like a good thing to do for the next few months.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So I think its time to do the Remastered Collection of Bioshock 1 and 2, and then Infinite again. That sounds like a good thing to do for the next few months.
I got the Bioshock Collection for free through PS+, but have yet to start it. I will mainly play 1 & 2, as I have 0 interests in Infinite. I played 1 in college, but never touched 2.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I picked up Prey (2017) after completely overlooking it at the time because the marketing made it look like a generic shooter.

So far, I'm kind of shocked by how good it is. I'd actually rate it above any of the Bioshock sequels, at this point.