What are you currently playing?

faeyr

Escapist +
Apr 10, 2020
Ottawa
Country
Canada
The game is good and is probably the closest tactics to reach the god tier level of FFT. But sadly the story is just bad, it has a bunch of "twist" that you can see coming from a million miles away, none of the character have any kind of arc and they're pretty flat as character goes.

As far as camera rotation, the game uses that and hide some treasuer chest "in plain sight" but you can't see them cause of the camera, so keep an eye on that. I didn't have the DLC when I played that but didn't really feel like I was missing the ability to send out some of my character on mission nor did I miss the monster (I never used monster in FFT anyway), there's also a character that can copy monster ability, so having monster in the party seems a bit redundant.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll keep an eye out for treasure and won't set my expectations too high regarding the story.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
I haven't play that or shadow tactics but I'm kind of in the mood to play it or a game like it.

Is the Cock up Cascade as bad as Yahtzee makes it out to be in his review?
If you don't mind older games, check out the Commandos series or the one called Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood - both should be on GOG.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
If you don't mind older games, check out the Commandos series or the one called Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood - both should be on GOG.
I have those in my GOG library already. And the first two Desperados. I just haven't gotten around to playing them yet.

It's that whole fun thing where "Oh, this is pretty cheap. Sounds interesting". I buy it and then forget I even have it, normally because I'm already playing something else and likely have a couple more games planned after that. Some I wonder when the hell I even bought them though I suspect some of them were giveaways.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
More Street Fighter V. I've been playing a lot of the personal story modes, and they're fun. Seeing how old characters, grow, develop, or change is heartwarming. Or just seeing straight up, funny, goofy, or silly storylines with some of the more lighthearted or jokey characters.... 😂 Silly tuff happens to the serious characters too.

Aaahhhhh....😌 Classic Street Fighter. It's fun seeing many characters from different walks of life, races, gender, and fighting styles. Never change SF. Never change.

I've beaten a couple of the arcade modes: SFI (twice), SFIII (once), SFIV (once with no continues), and SF Alpha (once). I still have to do the arcade mode for II & V. Say what you will about V, but it has the most content I have ever seen in a fighting game that is still getting updated. I might do some online casual matchesm but I will most likely save that for tomorrow.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Playing through Last of US 2 right now.

Honestly, not really enjoying it that much. It's basically just last of us 1 but worse.

The story is worse, the pacing is worse, the combat encounters are worse. They made the areas larger, less linear, and more explorable, but it made the pacing and combat encounters less interesting because of it.

I'm hoping to reach the point where the game pivots and the story either ends up being more interesting, or at least as stupid as some people have complained. I'm down to be entertained by how stupid the story is if it does end up driving itself off a cliff.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Due to all the talk about Desperados 3, I remembered I picked up Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun a while back and decided to give it a try. I just finished Mission 2 and I think I'm getting the hang of how the game works. I've seen 4 of the 5 playable characters at this point and it'll be interesting when I finally have a chance to use them all in the same mission.

I do get the feeling I that for some parts of a mission there's a couple different ways to tackle a given set of portion while others there's only one real way to deal with them that isn't horribly convoluted. And at least one case where it feels like it wants me to use shadow mode but it's just as easy to take enemies out one at a time.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Still playing Spider-Man. It's an impeccable game and the only parts that I don't like are the MJ/Miles segments, which are so pointless that sometimes they're shoehorned as flashbacks where a couple of lines of dialogue would've sufficed, or just make them into cutscenes since gameplay is so rigurously scripted anyway. I think the stealth bits with Spidey are also kinda pointless (if fun). Any stealth encounter is segmented into 6 waves of baddies and you can only stealth the 1st wave. The effort is barely worth it in terms of the benefit, but I do it anyway just for the fun. I also kinda like the combat and how there's no counter command so you have to make due with simultaneously dodging and attacking.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Still playing Spider-Man. It's an impeccable game and the only parts that I don't like are the MJ/Miles segments, which are so pointless that sometimes they're shoehorned as flashbacks where a couple of lines of dialogue would've sufficed, or just make them into cutscenes since gameplay is so rigurously scripted anyway. I think the stealth bits with Spidey are also kinda pointless (if fun). Any stealth encounter is segmented into 6 waves of baddies and you can only stealth the 1st wave. The effort is barely worth it in terms of the benefit, but I do it anyway just for the fun. I also kinda like the combat and how there's no counter command so you have to make due with simultaneously dodging and attacking.
Yeah the MJ sequences were annoying for me too. The Miles parts less so, as they were at least more dramatic, and well...I love Miles Morales, so that's a bonus. I will say there is one MJ sequence, later in the game that is REALLY fun. Not sure how far into it you are, and don't want to spoil things, but one MJ part is immediately different from what you are normally doing, namely "crouch and don't bump into things." You will know it when you see it, and it was fun as hell. Sadly it was the single bright spot in the MJ parts. The Miles parts never really get better, as far as actual gameplay, it's the same thing every time, but again, I found them more enjoyable than MJ. I've never been a fan of the "plucky yet sarcastic intrepid reporter" trope, and MJ just fits it too hard for me to enjoy her content. Plus, Yuri Watanabe is Best Girl, hands down.

And yeah the "stealth the hideout, but only first phase" stuff is annoying as hell. I wish you were rewarded with less waves if you were able to do a full stealth run, but oh well. *shrugs*

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Majora's Mask Randomizer. It's cool, but I hate how the community and almost all the documentation is on Discord and I can't even access it for whatever reason. I just want to know how the music randomization works because apparently I lucked out and got the endless stairs music from Mario 64 as my cave music. You have no idea how fantastic it is to listen to the endless stairs for minutes on end. It doesn't get annoying at all!

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Just started Red Dead 2 last night. Didn't get very far before the wifey passed out, so only made it as far as the tutorial mission on how to bow hunt animals for food/skins.

I can already tell that the Quickdraw R2 is going to be a major problem when I'm trying to talk to people and forget I need to press L2 instead. Haven't accidentally shot anyone yet that I was trying to talk to, though that is only because I didn't have the camera pointed directly at them while following them. I fear it is only a matter of time.

My wife showed me this video and...yeah I suspect this is going to happen at some point.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Just started Red Dead 2 last night. Didn't get very far before the wifey passed out, so only made it as far as the tutorial mission on how to bow hunt animals for food/skins.

I can already tell that the Quickdraw R2 is going to be a major problem when I'm trying to talk to people and forget I need to press L2 instead. Haven't accidentally shot anyone yet that I was trying to talk to, though that is only because I didn't have the camera pointed directly at them while following them. I fear it is only a matter of time.

My wife showed me this video and...yeah I suspect this is going to happen at some point.

That’s pretty funny. I don’t recall having a problem with it after an adjustment period, but I did have issues with commands on horseback sometimes. Like L2 wouldn’t trigger the next subset of commands for talking to people (or taking care of your horse) sometimes, so this was especially odd when online and someone waves and all you can do is ride your horse in circles or something to let them know you can’t respond in kind.

Then there’s the recurring problem I have with how the DS4 triggers don’t have any plastic underneath them, so whenever I set the controller down on a couch cushion there‘s a good chance I’d end up like the dude in that video.

This should’ve been corrected with the Dual Sense but doesn’t look like it.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
That’s pretty funny. I don’t recall having a problem with it after an adjustment period, but I did have issues with commands on horseback sometimes. Like L2 wouldn’t trigger the next subset of commands for talking to people (or taking care of your horse) sometimes, so this was especially odd when online and someone waves and all you can do is ride your horse in circles or something to let them know you can’t respond in kind.

Then there’s the recurring problem I have with how the DS4 triggers don’t have any plastic underneath them, so whenever I set the controller down on a couch cushion there‘s a good chance I’d end up like the dude in that video.
For me the issue is most games put the button prompts on the side of the screen associated with the controller. So things on the left side are visually hinting from your peripheral vision to say "left side buttons." Since EVERYTHING is over on the right, my default response is I open it with the R2 button, because it's over on that side. I hope that I will adjust, as I'm basically trying to train my brain that the right trigger is ONLY for shooting something, so avoid it at all costs unless I want to go into Shooty Shooty Bang Bang mode. We'll see how well I can condition myself.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Giving up on Majora's Mask Randomizer. I just don't see the point. Having all the items randomized doesn't make the game more challenging or interesting, it just means I need to do random minigames or open every chest until I find one that give out whatever the heck I need to progress. Not really fun at all.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Still playing Desperados 3 and Isabelle joined the crew and she is freaking amazing. She has basically "domino" from Dishonored 2 that allows you to link 2 enemies together, which obviously allows you to kill 2 enemies for 1. And she also has the ability to mind control an enemy so you can link 2 enemies together beforehand, then mind control an enemy having him shoot one of the 2 linked enemies, then the other enemies will take him down obviously, so it's basically a 3 for 1. Though she can only mind control a limited about of times per mission. She also has a cat to distract enemies. The last 3 missions I've played with her on the team have been a breeze on Hard difficulty where the missions just before I got her were pretty tough having really tight windows to execute certain things.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
About halfway through Shadow Tactics: Blade of the Shogun, I do appreciate how each mission is pretty good about mixing things up and it feels like each mission is somehow harder then the last. It does feel like the proper sequence to success is pretty much dependent on figuring out the sweet spot for taking down any given guard without all their buddies realizing they've been shanked.

I'm reached the mission where you're trying to
assault the castle in the middle of a battle and it's rough. I'm a little irked that taking down guards in the middle of an active battlefield somehow tips off the nearby troops that you're involved, instead of gunshots, cannon fire and shrapnel from the RAGING BATTLE going on around you. You'd think the enemies would somehow take that into account and the chaos would give you a little cover.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I got Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution on Switch as a gift from a friend, so I've been rebuilding my decks from the original and working through the new storylines to get the DP to do it. At the moment I have a Blue-Eyes White Dragon deck more or less finished, though there's still a lot of room for improvement; planning to work on Six Samurai or Lightsworn next, whichever I get enough cards for first.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
I recently beat Simpsons: Hit and Run on PC. Still a good game and happy I was able to get it working.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
About halfway through Shadow Tactics: Blade of the Shogun, I do appreciate how each mission is pretty good about mixing things up and it feels like each mission is somehow harder then the last. It does feel like the proper sequence to success is pretty much dependent on figuring out the sweet spot for taking down any given guard without all their buddies realizing they've been shanked.

I'm reached the mission where you're trying to
assault the castle in the middle of a battle and it's rough. I'm a little irked that taking down guards in the middle of an active battlefield somehow tips off the nearby troops that you're involved, instead of gunshots, cannon fire and shrapnel from the RAGING BATTLE going on around you. You'd think the enemies would somehow take that into account and the chaos would give you a little cover.
Yeah I played up to that mission where the young thief girl, and the samurai, are trying to steal the key or records or whatever, from that noble in the middle of the compound. And you have to use the girl to unlock the gate to let the samurai in. I got really tired of how little room for error there is in that game.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Yeah I played up to that mission where the young thief girl, and the samurai, are trying to steal the key or records or whatever, from that noble in the middle of the compound. And you have to use the girl to unlock the gate to let the samurai in. I got really tired of how little room for error there is in that game.
Yeah, the Cock Up cascade really comes to mind here. It really doesn't help that in most missions, any given guard or civilian even catching a sustained glance of you on the street is enough the sound the alarm. There's no neutral ground anywhere on the map and since a civie can and will rat you out(except in a couple of missions), you might as well slaughter the civilians as well as the guards. I don't particularly like the idea of killing non-combatants but since "Stranger=Danger" in their eyes, well....

I mean, yeah, you can play through your mistakes, but since so much as being seen anywhere sets off the alarm, which automatically spawns even more guards who all have guns(if not hard to kill samurai, many of whom also have guns), there's not a lot of incentive to play through your mistakes because the missions just get a lot harder.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Playing GTA V for the first time, since it was free on Epic a while ago. It's great fun. Driving feels good, especially as Franklin, and the shooting is basic but functional. The writing isn't particularly clever but I still giggle at the jokes and the playable characters are all relatively engaging. It's not a very sophisticated work, but it's a well realised world with fun things to do in it, and sometimes that's all you really need.