You're Favorite Heel/Face Turns

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
That's true. She was legit a member of the Avengers by the end. I really hope she keeps going as a character and they get rid of her death flags
Death flags? Not familiar with that term. Do you mean foreshadowing indicators that suggest she is destined to die at some point in a later film?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm going with Catra from the new She-ra. I always kinda had a weakness for her and was kinda hoping for it, even when she turned super ***** and I was like, screw it stab her in the belly. But I was happy to see her be honest with herself and and start trying to join the good guys, even though she still had trouble with it.

Also, Starlight Glimmer from MLP. She was a legit powerful enemy that had a great magic fight with Twilight and even when she turned good, she was very willing to abuse magic to get what she wanted and had to learn to keep that urge on the down low after mind controlling her friends.

Reactions: Dalisclock

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'm going with Catra from the new She-ra. I always kinda had a weakness for her and was kinda hoping for it, even when she turned super ***** and I was like, screw it stab her in the belly. But I was happy to see her be honest with herself and and start trying to join the good guys, even though she still had trouble with it.
I keep meaning to go back and finish that series with the wifey. I got through I think...season 1? It amused the hell out of me multiple times, Swiftwind in particular made me have gigglefits every time he was on screen.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I keep meaning to go back and finish that series with the wifey. I got through I think...season 1? It amused the hell out of me multiple times, Swiftwind in particular made me have gigglefits every time he was on screen.
Swiftwind is a lot of fun, have you gotten to the other princesses? Cause they are all pretty great. I would say go for it, there are now 5 seasons of princessy goodness, although it does suffer a bit from the target audience, like it want to have the horde be a legit threatening force and really can't go as far as you can feel it wants too, till the last season.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Death flags? Not familiar with that term. Do you mean foreshadowing indicators that suggest she is destined to die at some point in a later film?
Yeah. I first learned of it from Anime, but that's exactly the jist. Its a character basically saying "Boy howdy I love being alive! I can't wait to go to College next month and save puppies! Wouldn't it suck if I took a machete to the face tomorrow from the Old Man Jester's Boogie Cat monster"

At least to me Nebula is clearly being set up to die(again) to save the team.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Personally, I'd prefer Nebula to stay on the team rather than Gamora. Nebula has a potential arc. Gamora can only retread new ground through her duplicate, or go off in a new direction.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Swiftwind is a lot of fun, have you gotten to the other princesses? Cause they are all pretty great. I would say go for it, there are now 5 seasons of princessy goodness, although it does suffer a bit from the target audience, like it want to have the horde be a legit threatening force and really can't go as far as you can feel it wants too, till the last season.
Yeah, the last big plot element I remember was...I think the I'm Totally Not Doc Octopus Princess who likes to tinker with tech, going over to work for the bad guys She's probably my favorite, now that I think more about it. Swiftwind just didn't have much screentime up to the point I stopped watching, but the Doc Oc girl, oh man she killed me every time she was on screen. I dunno, something about the voice actress, how she delivers her lines (and that laugh, omg), I just loved it.

Yeah. I first learned of it from Anime, but that's exactly the jist. Its a character basically saying "Boy howdy I love being alive! I can't wait to go to College next month and save puppies! Wouldn't it suck if I took a machete to the face tomorrow from the Old Man Jester's Boogie Cat monster"

At least to me Nebula is clearly being set up to die(again) to save the team.
Ah, yeah I didn't really get that vibe by the end of the current films, so I hope you're wrong. The fact that they built up her "killing her old self to show she's changed" arc so much, feels kind of shitty to just off her later.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yeah, the last big plot element I remember was...I think the I'm Totally Not Doc Octopus Princess who likes to tinker with tech, going over to work for the bad guys She's probably my favorite, now that I think more about it. Swiftwind just didn't have much screentime up to the point I stopped watching, but the Doc Oc girl, oh man she killed me every time she was on screen. I dunno, something about the voice actress, how she delivers her lines (and that laugh, omg), I just loved it.
Ahh, yeah that would be princess Entrapta, shes fantastic and gets a good amount of screen time. Swiftwind though, sadly he ends up not showing up much till season 4 and 5 if I remember right.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ahh, yeah that would be princess Entrapta, shes fantastic and gets a good amount of screen time. Swiftwind though, sadly he ends up not showing up much till season 4 and 5 if I remember right.
Yeah, Entrapta, loved her to death. Just, every time she was on screen, I was grinning like a fool. I think my favorite scene is where she is being held tied to a wall, and they even tied up her hair locks in their own individual manacles. But it didn't matter, as she could still pull them out, and even like, handed the badguy something with one of the hair tentacles, and then just tucked it back into the manacle, like nothing happened. And there was this great little pause between both of them like "ok I feel like something just happened that I should be aware of, but you seem innocent, so I'll ignore it." And I just died. Love Entrapta.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yeah, Entrapta, loved her to death. Just, every time she was on screen, I was grinning like a fool. I think my favorite scene is where she is being held tied to a wall, and they even tied up her hair locks in their own individual manacles. But it didn't matter, as she could still pull them out, and even like, handed the badguy something with one of the hair tentacles, and then just tucked it back into the manacle, like nothing happened. And there was this great little pause between both of them like "ok I feel like something just happened that I should be aware of, but you seem innocent, so I'll ignore it." And I just died. Love Entrapta.
She never stops being awesome and she actually gets more awesome too. Plus also princess Salineas, shes great too, even Perfuma gets some great moments.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
She never stops being awesome and she actually gets more awesome too. Plus also princess Salineas, shes great too, even Perfuma gets some great moments.
hah, I just noticed Salineas' name is basically Salt, and she's the ocean/water princess. And yeah I liked Perfuma from the start, I kept getting "That plant powered girl from Sky High" vibes off of her, so I never thought she was like a weak character. I just kept waiting for her to do this

Which she totally did, and it was awesome. xD Yeah, once I finish playing GOT, I'm really going to need to start that show again with the wifey.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I've mentioned this before but Blade Runner 2049, I can't express in words how much I loved the twist that K is no one of importance at all, he's just some guy and he has no important destiny and he doesn't save the day, he does the opposite of what he was told to do to save day, IDK it's just a beautiful message in general about the virtue of empathy, seriously that ending gets me every time.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Was that really a face turn though? It felt pretty apparent from the first episode that she would become a reformed villain. It was still a pretty great journey with that character though, even if her becoming best buds with everyone in season 5 felt a bit... weird, considering all the war crimes and the dead mom.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Was that really a face turn though? It felt pretty apparent from the first episode that she would become a reformed villain. It was still a pretty great journey with that character though, even if her becoming best buds with everyone in season 5 felt a bit... weird, considering all the war crimes and the dead mom.
From her actions in season 3 and 4, yeah I would call that a heel turn.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
You could say the same about Zuko though really. The fact that it's potentially obvious to the audience, doesn't mean the turn itself can't be done well, or poorly.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ken from Digimon Adventure 02
Forgot about him. I nominate Rika/Ruki form Tamers as well. She wasn't exactly a villain, and more of a anti-heroine, but she tried to kill Takato and Henry's digimons several times. She and Renamon were both basically the Digimon equivalent of Vergil/Vegeta. They needed more power. As far as heel face turns go, Ken, Rika, & Renamon have the most character development in the Digimon franchise.

EDIT: Forgot about Impmon too.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You could say the same about Zuko though really. The fact that it's potentially obvious to the audience, doesn't mean the turn itself can't be done well, or poorly.
Ah, but with Zuko they pull a little switch-a-roo on the audience. In the first season they spend way too much time developing his character and showing him in a sympathetic light for him not get a redemption. And season 2 adds to that slow gradual turn to the light where you think 'yeah, come on Zuko, we've been waiting for you, join the good guys'. But then he's like 'no, fuck you, I'm a bad guy'. I mean, he ultimately pulls himself back up and does join the good guys, but in that moment it's a pretty good heel turn.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ah, but with Zuko they pull a little switch-a-roo on the audience. In the first season they spend way too much time developing his character and showing him in a sympathetic light for him not get a redemption. And season 2 adds to that slow gradual turn to the light where you think 'yeah, come on Zuko, we've been waiting for you, join the good guys'. But then he's like 'no, fuck you, I'm a bad guy'. I mean, he ultimately pulls himself back up and does join the good guys, but in that moment it's a pretty good heel turn.
Yes but, the entire point of your post that I quoted, is that you questioned the validity of something being a turn, because it was broadcasted. My point is that it's pretty obvious with Zuko too, from episode one. The fact that they made it last longer doesn't change the fact it's pretty apparent he's going to flip. But broadcasting it doesn't matter, because it was still executed well. I mean everything about how they frame him, down to the fact that he's one of the few non-total asshole firebenders we meet in the show, and that he's a child in a kid's cartoon, when all the other antagonists at the start of the show are adults, having the lovable uncle always being the voice of reason and compassion on his shoulder, screams he's going to go good. I mean they introduce an entire Evil Kids squad to counter Aang and his gang, and ALL of them go good except for Azula. So it's hardly a "what a twist!" moment. But it was still done well. Same with Catra.

Reactions: BrawlMan