Suspending the Election

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Are all of you actually serious? There were like 12 postponed primaries. The conventions got postponed. The idea of postponing the election has been discussed (albeit dismissed) in articles for months now. Then Trump tweets the idea, something he has literally no power to do, and you go straight to imagining him dragged unwilling from the White House? Why? Why does everyone seem to live in an alternative reality where Trump is Hitler, rather than the real world where he 99.99% repeats what he sees on tv, and any original thoughts are on the level of killing a virus by sticking uv lights into people's lungs? Or nuking hurrices. Please, you're all welcome back in the real world anytime you like.

Reactions: Leg End

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Are all of you actually serious? There were like 12 postponed primaries. The conventions got postponed. The idea of postponing the election has been discussed (albeit dismissed) in articles for months now. Then Trump tweets the idea, something he has literally no power to do, and you go straight to imagining him dragged unwilling from the White House? Why? Why does everyone seem to live in an alternative reality where Trump is Hitler, rather than the real world where he 99.99% repeats what he sees on tv, and any original thoughts are on the level of killing a virus by sticking uv lights into people's lungs? Or nuking hurrices. Please, you're all welcome back in the real world anytime you like.
Trump can float the idea to see if it can gain traction - playing for time would probably be to his benefit. However, I'd agree that it's hard to see this working, as a country which can invade a medium-size nation 5000 miles away can surely run a postal election.

Secondly, the wider ambition may simply be to delegitimise the election in advance. This could simply be for his own ego ("I didn't lose, the Democrats cheated"), or it could be PR preparation for some torturous legal disputes: imagine there are problems counting the postal votes, time stretches on, and people may start trying to close the vote before everything's counted or settled (q.v. Florida 2000). Thirdly, it's another attempt to motivate his base: "get out there and vote, because the Democrats are trying to cheat".

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Several reasons.

Chiefly its a question of moral legitimacy. As a leader who often flirts with the autocratic style of Putin or Erdogan and who's devotion to democracy is dubious as best Trump simply isn't the person to suggest these things. He simply hasn't earned the trust to assume he wouldn't try to subvert the election for his own gain.

It also neatly falls into the pattern Trump and those like him always follow. If they win its the holy will of the people that cannot be ignored. If they lose then it was all rigged and they deserve to stay in power regardless. Remember 2016? Then it was also the most rigged election ever until Trump realized he won. Even if Trump isn't serious about postponing the election then it still falls neatly into a pattern of trying to deligitimize an election he might not win.

The idea that corrupt leaders try to dismantle democracy isn't people hyperventilating about ''Hitler''. Its a very recurring pattern that has demonstrably happened this decade. And its always leaders like Trump who do the dismantling. Whether Trump tries to postpone the election in order to subvert it or is just employing it as a tool to deligitimize his loss it will all end in democracy being weakened.

Reactions: MrCalavera

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Trump can float the idea to see if it can gain traction - playing for time would probably be to his benefit. However, I'd agree that it's hard to see this working, as a country which can invade a medium-size nation 5000 miles away can surely run a postal election.
Yes, that's the entire thing. His only political tactic is "do things he thinks will make people like him." So he heard someone else say a thing he thought could be good for him, he tweeted it out to see if it gained traction, everyone hated it, and now we move on. The end.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
This is not the first time he said it. Also, I have no faith that congress wont just curl over and take it. They haven't shown any desire to stop him before. None of this is new, he's been saying this for a while. And I said similar things back then. He's also stated that he wont be leaving next year nor has he done the basic thing of saying he'll follow the election results.

Now, the supreme court is something different. I actually think they would block him. We'll see how that goes

Edit: I just wanted to reiterate, just so we are clear. I REALLLLLY don't think congress is going to stop him. I have that little faith in every single one of them

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Both wrong.

It's the guy on the pizza box.

View attachment 423

Or as Trump would call it, GOURMET.

(For people who don't get the joke, Little Caesars is cheap fast food pizza that's already pre-made sitting under a heat lamp when you buy it.)
Clearly, Little Caesar's is too classy. A Pizza Hut would be more appropriate

(I actually have no idea about Little Caesers. Just assuming its better than Pizza Hut.)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Clearly, Little Caesar's is too classy. A Pizza Hut would be more appropriate

(I actually have no idea about Little Caesers. Just assuming its better than Pizza Hut.)
Pizza hut's pizza is too salty. I would happily take Little Cesar's over that. Go to best pizza places are Papa Romano's, cottage inn, hungry Howie's, and Detroit Pizza factory.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Pizza hut's pizza is too salty. I would happily take Little Cesar's over that. Go to best pizza places are Papa Romano's, cottage inn, hungry Howie's, and Detroit Pizza factory.
Pizza Hut is great, you just have to stop thinking of it as pizza. It's really bad pizza if you call it pizza, but perfectly good when you think of it as a totally different food group.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
So if he did bully his way into getting what he wanted and moved the election, who would assume power when Trump's term ended and there was no President-elect to take his place?
Frankly, I don't know if current laws cover that eventuality, given the turnover in Congress that comes with the election, because until now noone had suggested putting it to the test. Presumably Congress will feel compelled to do something if it got that far.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Pizza Hut is great, you just have to stop thinking of it as pizza. It's really bad pizza if you call it pizza, but perfectly good when you think of it as a totally different food group.
That makes no sense. Besides, a lot of the Pizza huts around my area closed down. There's still plenty in Michigan, but I'm not going to do a 35 to 40 minute drive just for a Pizza hut, when I got so many surrounding pizza places in my neighborhood.

Last edited:

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
That makes no sense. besides, a lot of the Pizza huts and around my area close down. There's still plenty in Michigan, but I'm not going to do a 35 to 40 minute drive just for a Pizza hut, when I got so many surrounding pizza places in my neighborhood.
Nah, it makes perfect sense. Pizza Hut is bad pizza, but so is a meatball sub. Accepting something is fundamentally different puts it in a different light.

That being said, I wouldn't drive 40 minutes for good pizza anyway.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Do your friends and family make the good pizza? And if so, can I come?
No, I meant in terms of going to a good or excellent pizza place with them. You can come if you want, but I highly doubt you want to drive all the way out to Michigan for pizza. With this pandemic we're only doing take out only. Assuming you live in the US. I'm on a mobile device right now so it only shows a picture profile and not much else.

Last edited:

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Yes, that's the entire thing. His only political tactic is "do things he thinks will make people like him." So he heard someone else say a thing he thought could be good for him, he tweeted it out to see if it gained traction, everyone hated it, and now we move on. The end.
Well, I think his political tactics also include naked self-aggrandisement, general inflammatory chaos and a strange obsession with annihilating anything Obama did.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
No, I meant in terms of going to a good or excellent pizza place with them. You can come if you want, but I highly doubt you want to drive all the way out to Michigan for pizza. With this pandemic we're only doing take out only. Assuming you live in the US. I'm on a mobile device right now so it only shows a picture profile and not much else.
It's only 10 hours away.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
People are treating this like a "Boy howdy that goofy old man Trump, how silly of him" rather than a clear and present threat. He should be denied the nomination by default.
But he won't. And this is only the beginning. Wait until he gets the GOP in line with postponing the election.