Not open for further replies.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
From what I've seen. The kid exercised amazing restraint. He only shot people attempting to attack him even with all those people around that he could have started shooting if he'd lost his head and thought they were also after him.
Fuck that shit. I know you're not defending him, but try saying that in front of the victims or the victims families.

The mother fcuker literally went across three states just to kill people cuz he had nothing better to do with his pathetic life.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
You mean a 30 minute drive?
Thought I'd heard he'd come from several states away, but maybe that was in reference to one of the militias operating that night. Regardless, the point stands: he traveled across state lines looking for a fight, and that's no restraint at all.

Got a source on that molotov? The best source I've seen on the timeline from that night is from the NYT, and there's no molotov mentioned or shown in any footage.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I drive 30 minutes to my place of work over state lines every work day. When you actually live near a state bordet, driving over it means very little.
Yeah, but unlike that kid, I've never traveled to shoot anyone. In fact I've never shot anyone. If a 17-year-old thugs shows restraint in only murdering 2 people and then fleeing like a coward, then I expect a fucking medal for having gone over 3 decades without taking a single human life.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Fuck that shit. I know you're not defending him, but try saying that in front of the victims or the victims families.

The mother fcuker literally went across three states just to kill people cuz he had nothing better to do with his pathetic life.
From the reports it seems he went over to protect someone's property and didn't instigate any of this, nor was the only person out there with a weapon. If his intent had merely been to kill people then we'd be talking about dozens killed and not 2.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
In the interest of fairness, I am fairly ambivalent on whether the kid was acting in self-defense. That NYT article says that the first person he shot, the guy who died, had been chasing him first. And that another one of the people who were shot had their own gun out and maybe firing. I'm leaning towards the molotov cocktail being disingenuous bullshit. I certainly stand by the kid absolutely should not have been there: it was not his community, it was not his job, he was too young to openly carry that rifle, and he was out in a curfew. So he's responsible for all that. And I don't know Wisconsin law enough to know whether that responsibility puts him in the can for murder or not, but that's Wisconsin's problem to figure out and try him on.

The police acted abominably through the whole thing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
From the reports it seems he went over to protect someone's property and didn't instigate any of this, nor was the only person out there with a weapon. If his intent had merely been to kill people then we'd be talking about dozens killed and not 2.
That's a lot of shit and you know it.even if it was protecting others people's property. Was it worth killing all those others that had nothing to do with that? If he was that concerned about whoever's property, he could have called the cops and saved himself the trip.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
In the interest of fairness, I am fairly ambivalent on whether the kid was acting in self-defense. That NYT article says that the first person he shot, the guy who died, had been chasing him first. And that another one of the people who were shot had their own gun out and maybe firing. I'm leaning towards the molotov cocktail being disingenuous bullshit. I certainly stand by the kid absolutely should not have been there: it was not his community, it was not his job, he was too young to openly carry that rifle, and he was out in a curfew. So he's responsible for all that. And I don't know Wisconsin law enough to know whether that responsibility puts him in the can for murder or not, but that's Wisconsin's problem to figure out and try him on.

The police acted abominably through the whole thing.
Here's the video with the supposed Molotov.

Whatever is being thrown, it seems Rittenhouse opened fire after that but did not actually hit the thrower as I've seen another video of the thrower lying in between two cars so it seems he got shot after that and I think I see him still chasing Rittenhouse after the kid opened fire in response to the thrown object.

The details of everything else around this are fairly muddy at the moment but the actual shootings are caught on camera and appear conclusive to me to be purely self defense, the kid was running the whole time and only opened fire once his pursuers attempted to use force on him. Regardless of what else he may be rightly charged on, I do not believe 1st degree murder is one of them.

That's a lot of shit and you know it.even if it was protecting others people's property. Was it worth killing all those others that had nothing to do with that?
No, I do not believe he should have been over there but then again I don't think any of those people should have been doing what they were. Those people were attempting to attack him, and only the people that attacked him were shot.

Reactions: Ravinoff

Aegix Drakan

♪ Megalovania is a genre ♪
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Canada
Country
Canada
People seem to be forgetting that he literally legally could not be holding a gun in that state at his age.

Going to a different state, no matter how short a drive it is, with a weapon you're not allowed to hold or use in that state does not reflect well on him, especially considering people are dead because of it.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
People seem to be forgetting that he literally legally could not be holding a gun in that state at his age.

Going to a different state, no matter how short a drive it is, with a weapon you're not allowed to hold or use in that state does not reflect well on him, especially considering people are dead because of it.
Also, I'm fairly certain he wasn't even allowed to carry it in his home state either.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Here's the video with the supposed Molotov.

Whatever is being thrown, it seems Rittenhouse opened fire after that but did not actually hit the thrower as I've seen another video of the thrower lying in between two cars so it seems he got shot after that and I think I see him still chasing Rittenhouse after the kid opened fire in response to the thrown object.

The details of everything else around this are fairly muddy at the moment but the actual shootings are caught on camera and appear conclusive to me to be purely self defense, the kid was running the whole time and only opened fire once his pursuers attempted to use force on him. Regardless of what else he may be rightly charged on, I do not believe 1st degree murder is one of them.

No, I do not believe he should have been over there but then again I don't think any of those people should have been doing what they were. Those people were attempting to attack him, and only the people that attacked him were shot.
The bottle didn't even hit him, much less break. Wisconsin is not a Stand Your Ground state (after a quick Google to confirm, I shall amend that to "under these circumstances"), therefore the general rule is that you cannot retaliate with lethal force so long as you have an option to retreat; the kid (presumably, he was behind a car) turned, fired, and continued running, ergo he could have been running the whole time without shooting. When he's on the ground with people over him, that's when he doesn't have an option to retreat, but that person he killed was not at that time. And saying that "none of this people should have been there" is technically correct, but none of the others killed somebody. If the responsibility I outlined earlier fulfills Wisconsin's requirement for pre-meditation, I'm pretty sure they've got him on the hook for murder.

Edit: by all means, let the police charge whoever it was that started this shit as well, as well as anybody contributing to it. But this kid is the one who got somebody killed.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

That has no bearing on the actual shootings though. He should be charged for illegally handling a weapon while too young for it but it does not change the validity of firing on those he had reason to believe were going to harm him.

The bottle didn't even hit him, much less break. Wisconsin is not a Stand Your Ground state (after a quick Google to confirm, I shall amend that to "under these circumstances"), therefore the general rule is that you cannot retaliate with lethal force so long as you have an option to retreat; the kid (presumably, he was behind a car) turned, fired, and continued running, ergo he could have been running the whole time without shooting.

When he's on the ground with people over him, that's when he doesn't have an option to retreat, but that person he killed was not at that time. And saying that "none of this people should have been there" is technically correct, but none of the others killed somebody. If the responsibility I outlined earlier fulfills Wisconsin's requirement for pre-meditation, I'm pretty sure they've got him on the hook for murder.
Rittenhouse was running the whole time and only actually shot the pedophile guy once said guy had closed in on him at the cars it seems (As in a foot away from him).

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
That has no bearing on the actual shootings though. He should be charged for illegally handling a weapon while too young for it but it does not change the validity of firing on those he had reason to believe were going to harm him.

Rittenhouse was running the whole time and only actually shot the pedophile guy once said guy had closed in on him at the cars it seems (As in a foot away from him).
A) It absolutely has bearing on the shootings, it is a part of pre-meditation.
B) If he wasn't grabbed or on the ground, he still had room to retreat and has no provision for lethal force, according to my understanding of the local law.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
A) It absolutely has bearing on the shootings, it is a part of pre-meditation.
B) If he wasn't grabbed or on the ground, he still had room to retreat and has no provision for lethal force, according to my understanding of the local law.
A)But it wasn't premeditated as we can see from the video footage.

B) I don't know. I forget, but isn't someone here an actual lawyer? Perhaps they could elaborate on this?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
He still shot at people that didn't attack him. He does not get any sympathy from me. Here's a little extra detail about the guy.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
A)But it wasn't premeditated as we can see from the video footage.
it was not his community, it was not his job, he was too young to openly carry that rifle, and he was out in a curfew. So he's responsible for all that. And I don't know Wisconsin law enough to know whether that responsibility puts him in the can for murder or not, but that's Wisconsin's problem to figure out and try him on.
And that's the case for pre-meditation. If he can be shown to have been there to get in a fight, which all of those things that were wrong with him being there point to, that's a case to be made.

You think that warrant was served willy-nilly? That the local prosecutor's office didn't assess their ability to prove first degree murder as opposed to second?

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
And that's the case for pre-meditation. If he can be shown to have been there to get in a fight, which all of those things that were wrong with him being there point to, that's a case to be made.

You think that warrant was served willy-nilly? That the local prosecutor's office didn't assess their ability to prove first degree murder as opposed to second?
Sadly it looks like they're charging him as a minor. So he'll get cut a deal that includes time already served and maybe a few thousand hours of community service, and then he'll walk.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Sadly it looks like they're charging him as a minor. So he'll get cut a deal that includes time already served and maybe a few thousand hours of community service, and then he'll walk.
I don't mind that. I'm not big on retributive justice, I'd rather the kid get a chance to make up for his mistake with a peaceful and productive life.

Status
Not open for further replies.