Beta Feedback Thread

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Go to your account in the top right and click on "Preferences" and you can adjust your notifications in there, including emails.

Sure, but when I go to the list of "Receive a notification when someone…", I either turn both email and notifications off, or both on, can't seem to just turn the notifications on by themselves. Or am I missing something?

Topaz

Surprise Mechanic
Legacy
Mar 31, 2020
Sure, but when I go to the list of "Receive a notification when someone…", I either turn both email and notifications off, or both on, can't seem to just turn the notifications on by themselves. Or am I missing something?
You'll want to look in the section above that. There should be a couple of indented tickboxes called "and receive email notifications", untick those.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
What's that Premium forum category all about? Is it just going to be announcements or do premium members get access to a private forum?

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Surely there's gotta be some way the d at the end of my name isn't in a seperate line, right? Like, just make the avatar profile user thing a bit wider or something.

Reactions: lil devils x

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
What's that Premium forum category all about? Is it just going to be announcements or do premium members get access to a private forum?
There's gonna be a private forum yes, and access to bonus content in there. Couldn't set it up this weekend, was moving apartments. It'll be set up by Wednesday.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
What does it mean to 'mention' another user?

Receive a notification when someone…

Mentions you in a profile post or comment:
Do I get a notification whenever someone types 'Drathnoxis' or is there some specific input they need to do to accomplish this?

The help section says:
[USER = ID] - Profile Linking

Links to a user's profile. This is generally inserted automatically when mentioning a user.
But this didn't happen when I referred to users previously.

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States
So I get a lot of error messages when I respond to a thread, and I tend to quote and use a lot of links, though, even if it's just the text similar to the v1 posts, it should be well within 10k characters as far as I'm aware.

Is there any way to signal which error is preventing a draft from being posted or if there is a way to post with the error still there? Is there a way to insert a character counter in the drafting portion?

ochimusha

Ghost of GameTrailers
Legacy
May 20, 2009
Country
USA
I've got a couple of small bits of feedback, none of it tech related

• For the FAQ thread: Can we add an answer for avatar sizes? Right now I'm seeing avatars are showing at 120x120, but inspecting them often brings up that the images are scaled from 192x192, but the uploader suggests using a 400x400 image so which is the most recommended? I think getting a firm answer for an upload size would be nice

• Regarding a most unpleasant topic...

newclassic said:
    GamerGate
    That topic is not allowed here.
    Yes. We want to be as far away from GG and anything about that as we can. A whole new team is working on Escapist, and I've spent my entire time since becoming EIC working to build the platform around positivity and being welcoming to everyone.
    It'll remain a zero tolerance offense, but we'll look at each case individually obviously.
    For the rules thread would it be worth amending the rule to " That topic is not allowed here, nor is the discussion of similar splinter groups."

I'd like to think that the blanket rule alone and the work the community is trying to put in to distance the escapist from those sordid years will do enough to keep most bad actors away, but bad faith slippery logic could sneak it's way in when they claim, "Hey! We're not X, we're clearly Y, even though we share a lot of similar interests...."

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Don't know if anyone has already brought it up, but I detest the draft feature which keeps saving things I start typing, but decide to abandon, only for it to be restored and tacked on to some other post I make.

I should be able to decide if it autosaves or not, cause I would choose 'not'.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The notification system seems a bit wonky. It mainly seems to update only when you refresh the page either by loading a new one or just refreshing and even then it seems to sometimes not show all the thread updates and post replies.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Don't know if anyone has already brought it up, but I detest the draft feature which keeps saving things I start typing, but decide to abandon, only for it to be restored and tacked on to some other post I make.
I've never had this happen outside the actual post I abandoned, but I'd also like it to not "remember" what I wrote.

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA

I should be able to decide if it autosaves or not, cause I would choose 'not'.
Stuff like that is built-in functionality that we can't really adjust.

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
I've got a couple of small bits of feedback, none of it tech related

• For the FAQ thread: Can we add an answer for avatar sizes? Right now I'm seeing avatars are showing at 120x120, but inspecting them often brings up that the images are scaled from 192x192, but the uploader suggests using a 400x400 image so which is the most recommended? I think getting a firm answer for an upload size would be nice

• Regarding a most unpleasant topic...

For the rules thread would it be worth amending the rule to " That topic is not allowed here, nor is the discussion of similar splinter groups."

I'd like to think that the blanket rule alone and the work the community is trying to put in to distance the escapist from those sordid years will do enough to keep most bad actors away, but bad faith slippery logic could sneak it's way in when they claim, "Hey! We're not X, we're clearly Y, even though we share a lot of similar interests...."
To be completely honest, with the pandemic and all the Premium stuff we've been doing, I've not had a chance to dig into that and most likely won't till post-June after our Indie Showcase is done.

Fact of the matter is for right now we're looking at reports and cases individually and keeping an eye on things without intervening too much. Let the mods and I worry about handling that stuff when we see it.

Reactions: ochimusha