Beta Feedback Thread

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I think the text formatting could use a little work. With the site defaults (dark theme, medium text), I find it a bit difficult to notice when bold is being used unless I already know it's supposed to be there. For the sake of illustration, I randomly bolded three words in this sentence (four in the paragraph). I'm the one who put them in bold, and it still takes me a few seconds to see it, and even then I only see it when I slow down my reading to focus on them. That rather defeats the purpose of bolding in the first place.
Agreed! I dunno how the bold could be made more... bold, but it is a little hard to see

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
I don't see anything crossed out on my screen. But when I go to their profile page, it says "This user's profile is not available."
Huh, I just cleared my cache, and it's normal again. Still, as you say, the profile error is still there.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Huh, I just cleared my cache, and it's normal again. Still, as you say, the profile error is still there.
Perhaps she's banned? I've seen that error earlier today after an adbot's thread was deleted, so showing up again if a profile was banned makes a little sense...

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Perhaps she's banned? I've seen that error earlier today after an adbot's thread was deleted, so showing up again if a profile was banned makes a little sense...
If that's the case I strongly prefer how the old site handled warnings and bans. It was always nice to be able to click on the link and see what the offending post was. Also you should still be able to see the profile when someone is banned in my opinion. Unless we're turning this into some sort of Orwellian state where if you're banned it's like you've never existed.

Topaz

Surprise Mechanic
Legacy
Mar 31, 2020
Yup, it's a ban. Although as always we can't disclose the actual reason for it.

I will admit though, it's not as obvious as it was on V1. (Having said that, maybe V1 overdid it a bit, with red "BANNED" labels, faded posts, and 'permabanned' avatars, ...might've been a bit overboard).

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Well. I believe she received the site's first warning, and now she's the first (non-hoax or spam related) ban. A shame, but not particularly a surprise.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
If that's the case I strongly prefer how the old site handled warnings and bans. It was always nice to be able to click on the link and see what the offending post was. Also you should still be able to see the profile when someone is banned in my opinion. Unless we're turning this into some sort of Orwellian state where if you're banned it's like you've never existed.
Saelune was banned earlier this morning, and her account has been deactivated for their own privacy. Normally you'd see the offending post, but this was special circumstances where a single post was not involved. The beta feedback thread is not a place for discussion about said ban, however.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Saelune was banned earlier this morning, and her account has been deactivated for their own privacy. Normally you'd see the offending post, but this was special circumstances where a single post was not involved. The beta feedback thread is not a place for discussion about said ban, however.
Is she ban banned or suspended banned?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I might have an issue. I made this current signature to tease Drathnoxis a bit, and went to change it tonight to something else, and could no longer find the option. I thought that Nick said he'd taken them away, period, a few weeks ago. Maybe things are set up somehow that people can still set one, but once it's set they don't have the option anymore?

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I might have an issue. I made this current signature to tease Drathnoxis a bit, and went to change it tonight to something else, and could no longer find the option. I thought that Nick said he'd taken them away, period, a few weeks ago. Maybe things are set up somehow that people can still set one, but once it's set they don't have the option anymore?
Wait, they're removing the ability to customize the text below an avatar? Why?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Nah, that's a title, that still shows up in options fine. You see in my posts where it appends "Drathnoxis is a Bubsy 3d fan"? That's a signature (they don't show up on my phone, if that's where you're browsing from), and I can't find the option for it again after I set it

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Nah, that's a title, that still shows up in options fine. You see in my posts where it appends "Drathnoxis is a Bubsy 3d fan"? That's a signature (they don't show up on my phone, if that's where you're browsing from), and I can't find the option for it again after I set it
Huh, I don't see anything like that

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
The text color hex editor occasionally gives an error when trying to highlight quoted text. The “Oops we ran into some problems” error that won’t let you post. Not sure what the cause is.

Also sometimes the entire editing toolbar is grayed out.

For general use, a new paragraph doesn’t automatically capitalize the first letter like the old forums. You have to backspace delete it and then it’s there. Also when you do that, it’ll erroneously capitalize the next word automatically.

Having said that, maybe it’s because I’m usually using the boards on my phone, which is automatically crap for input next to a proper PC.

Quoted to test color highlight only (yay it worked)-
I think the text formatting could use a little work. With the site defaults (dark theme, medium text), I find it a bit difficult to notice when bold is being used unless I already know it's supposed to be there. For the sake of illustration, I randomly bolded three words in this sentence (four in the paragraph). I'm the one who put them in bold, and it still takes me a few seconds to see it, and even then I only see it when I slow down my reading to focus on them. That rather defeats the purpose of bolding in the first place.

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Not sure where to ask this so I'll just put it here.

So, I get why you need the current events thing to be based on something legitimate. At the same time, things do occur whether a reputable source has yet reported on them or not. I am very reluctant to relinquish truth-definining-authority to "respectable news sources" cause we didn't find nukes in iraq and there was no evidence linking the trump camaign to russia and they hid the Epstein case for as long as they could.

You have cases where some youtuber is found to be disreputable and youtube takes them down and then some news source makes an article where their ONLY reference is that youtuber and that somehow legitimizes them so now the youtuber can make a video on the article that is about themselves that is actually not any more reputable that their original video which got removed. Such a state of affairs is beyond dumb.

At the same time, I get why you'd wanna have the current events topics be more airtight.

So, basically I'm suggesting a political off topic subforum where you can discuss breaking or not-picked-up-yet factual stories that are occurring around the world. That way we won't need to be beholden to the mainstream media like youtube is.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
You have cases where some youtuber is found to be disreputable and youtube takes them down and then some news source makes an article where their ONLY reference is that youtuber and that somehow legitimizes them so now they can report on the article that is about themselves that is actually not any more reputable that their original video which got removed. Such a state of affairs is beyond dumb.
It also works on Wikipedia:

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Not sure where to ask this so I'll just put it here.

So, I get why you need the current events thing to be based on something legitimate. At the same time, things do occur whether a reputable source has yet reported on them or not. I am very reluctant to relinquish truth-definining-authority to "respectable news sources" cause we didn't find nukes in iraq and there was no evidence linking the trump camaign to russia and they hid the Epstein case for as long as they could.

You have cases where some youtuber is found to be disreputable and youtube takes them down and then some news source makes an article where their ONLY reference is that youtuber and that somehow legitimizes them so now the youtuber can make a video on the article that is about themselves that is actually not any more reputable that their original video which got removed. Such a state of affairs is beyond dumb.

At the same time, I get why you'd wanna have the current events topics be more airtight.

So, basically I'm suggesting a political off topic subforum where you can discuss breaking or not-picked-up-yet factual stories that are occurring around the world. That way we won't need to be beholden to the mainstream media like youtube is.
If we make a political off-topic forum, that pretty much negates the Current Events subforum. It'd be the same thing with a very strict rule-set, and to be quite honest, we just don't have the manpower to moderate another whole subforum of politically charged topics between Current Events and this new subforum you're suggesting.

We're being lenient in most cases right now on the Current Events stuff. I let some threads go today that brought up interesting subjects with reputable sources that weren't just CNN, or whatever.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
If we make a political off-topic forum, that pretty much negates the Current Events subforum. It'd be the same thing with a very strict rule-set, and to be quite honest, we just don't have the manpower to moderate another whole subforum of politically charged topics between Current Events and this new subforum you're suggesting.

We're being lenient in most cases right now on the Current Events stuff. I let some threads go today that brought up interesting subjects with reputable sources that weren't just CNN, or whatever.
The main reason I made this post was due to the closure of the topic about Vaush. This sort of subject isn't something you'll have a reputable source about. It's a current that's on youtube and twitter spheres, it's entirely contained in those areas. Where do we go to discuss it? Would it be fine to post that topic in the off topic subforum? Maybe if you close something down give a suggestion about where we could talk about it.