Current Systemic Issues in the Anime Industry and Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I withdrew from anime in the early 2000's when I came across 2 realizations.

The first being that the Japanese entertainment industry is every bit as idiosyncratic in a bad way as its American counterpart. They produce a lot of crap, and it's relatively cheap to localize. As a result, we get a lot of the crap that the Land of the Rising Sun throws away. Bobobo or whatever it's called was the big Eureka moment there. God that show was awful.

The second was that I just can't stand weebs. And it was around that same time that Hayao Miyazaki lamented that too many otaku were running the animation industry. As he described it, they're not particularly good artists because they learn from mimicry of other cartoons rather than life and they're not particularly good writers because they don't talk to people enough to understand human behavior. It suddenly clicked with me why I felt the same metaphysical hostility toward weebs and shitty modern anime.

At least we'll always have Cowboy Bebop.
Well, how early 2000's are we talking about (technically we're still in the early 2000's)? Because it was around 2001 that DVD really became a thing, and thanks to how cheap DVDs were to manufacture we suddenly got a whole bunch anime that were previously unavailable. And better yet, subbed. No longer did we have to suffer those awful dubs on VHS. That was actually a pretty great time, it made me discover the Ghibli movies, Serial Experience Lain, NGE subbed, weird stuff like A Tree of Palme, and Neo Tokyo Labyrinth. I got to see Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water, Kare Kano, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Golden Boy, Fooly Cooly.

Not that things didn't go to shit a couple of years after that, but still, good times.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Well, how early 2000's are we talking about (technically we're still in the early 2000's)?
ca 2004-ish. It was sometime in my college years. I went to the anime club once and never went back. There was a dude who, no bullshit, wore a Naruto headband every day. And he was not the exception. Their taste was... questionable.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Who are you talking to?

The people who want Anime to be a certain way
Or the people who want a range of anime, not just tit pieces
You've answered your own question by responding in the way you have.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Look. You see this?

This is 'The Ancient Magus' Bride'. It's a romance manga that has become quite popular (I at least enjoy it quite a bit). It does not have giant boobs or lots of saucy humor in it. It is also written by a woman, of all things! A woman wrote a manga and it's popular?! Golly, how sexist.

Or how about my main romcom of choice right now, 'My Monster Secret'?

Another rom com that doesn't have a lot of saucy humor in it, it even has a sequence that makes fun of that kind of humor where one of the fortune gods tries to make such perverted pratfalls happen because it thinks that's how it can initiate love between two people. It's even gone past the usual curse of these kinds of stories in that it's past the courtship phase and the main couple is actually together and dealing with having a relationship!

The kinds of stories you want already exist and will continue to grow. But the saucy kind of humor will also continue to exist because there's people that like that kind of thing, whether because they like the perverted stuff or just find it funny. You don't need to get rid of anything, there is plenty of room for other tastes, yes, it may not currently have a lot of mainstream appeal but this is true of all mediums and genres. I myself like romance stories but none of the American stories are written for my tastes, as far as I've ever been able to find, they've all been written for women, but that's just how things are and I'm not going to complain about how those authors should write what appeals to me when they are not writing to appeal to me.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Look. You see this?

The kinds of stories you want already exist and will continue to grow. But the saucy kind of humor will also continue to exist because there's people that like that kind of thing, whether because they like the perverted stuff or just find it funny. You don't need to get rid of anything, there is plenty of room for other tastes, yes, it may not currently have a lot of mainstream appeal but this is true of all mediums and genres. I myself like romance stories but none of the American stories are written for my tastes, as far as I've ever been able to find, they've all been written for women, but that's just how things are and I'm not going to complain about how those authors should write what appeals to me when they are not writing to appeal to me.
[Conceptionalization Legendary: Success]The comics and cartoons medium have successfully subverted the expectations of using sexual content to sell is an achievement of defying expectations of basic human psychology, some call this phenomenon "Woke". Most mainstream content now stopped relying on base human instincts to sell their stuff.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
[Conceptionalization Legendary: Success]The comics and cartoons medium have successfully subverted the expectations of using sexual content to sell is an achievement of defying expectations of basic human psychology, some call this phenomenon "Woke". Most mainstream content now stopped relying on base human instincts to sell their stuff.
I don't understand what you're saying.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
This is 'The Ancient Magus' Bride'. It's a romance manga that has become quite popular (I at least enjoy it quite a bit). It does not have giant boobs
?

I mean, I guess they aren't giant by anime standards, anyway...

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
"We know" that nobody can understand what Gyrobot says, or "we know" that Houseman can't understand things?
You not understand this specific thing

He's pretty much saying you falling for the marketing ploy sex sells. Just put a bunch of tits on and you'd be happy. Your easily lead, at least in this area

Let's put it into a different context: Woke points out that pretty women getting less jail because they are pretty is a bad idea. If comics had they're way, pretty women would never see a court room.

Reactions: Gyrobot

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020

He's pretty much saying you falling for the marketing ploy sex sells. Just put a bunch of tits on and you'd be happy. Your easily lead, at least in this area

Let's put it into a different context: Woke points out that pretty women getting less jail because they are pretty is a bad idea. If comics had they're way, pretty women would never see a court room.
If that's what Gyrobot is saying, I don't see how he's drawing the conclusions that he is.

It seems like he's just accusing people of stuff without any reason.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
If that's what Gyrobot is saying, I don't see how he's drawing the conclusions that he is.

It seems like he's just accusing people of stuff without any reason.
I'll let gyrobot speak to whether my retelling of his post is accurate

But he's not accusing. You guys have literally said that this type of anime gives you what you want.... big tits

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I'll let gyrobot speak to whether my retelling of his post is accurate

But he's not accusing. You guys have literally said that this type of anime gives you what you want.... big tits
Big tits are fine. Big tits on a 4 year old is like the movie Big but Tom Hanks adult hairy chest and the rest of his brain, body and head stayed a kid. It is just EWWW!

Reactions: Satinavian

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020

This, I was just having some fun with Disco Elysium skillquoting. I think the reason why I don't mind the fact cartoons and comics have overcome the need to use sex sells is because they are trying to prove you don't need it unlike with anime and manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.