Not open for further replies.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
To be fair, Birds of Prey does make mental disorders out more to seem cute, quirky and fun and not as the crippling diseases that they are. It irks me too, because you wouldn't see a movie or comic that has "Cancer Man" the character that provides some levity and comical relief by virtue of his zany and hilarious tumors that pop out at odd times and does weird but comical stuff to his body (don't miss the scene were his brain metastasis makes him pass out just as he's about to take out the Dragon!). You wouldn't see "Fatty girl" who uses her hypothyreosis-induced obesity as a hilarious weapon (she jumps at bad guys and pins them with her massive body weight!) and have a lot of skits about how she's so very fat and lethargic because hypothyreosis is so quirky and amusing!

But if it is psychosis, OCD and antisocial personality disorder we are talking about, it is fair game to make a protagonist that's psychotic and violent in a funny way and dresses in a quirky mismatched and colorful fashion. Because gee, ain't she hilarious and zany? Mind you, this isn't just Birds of Prey that's a problem here. The entire character of Harley Quinn can fuck right off as it is based entirely on mental illness being quirky, funny and sexy.
That may be Birds of Prey but I'm talking about Joker which does not glorify Joker's actions. There may be catharsis in them but they are not good and they are not portrayed as being good.

I'm well aware he's not a hero, but the movie is clearly glorifying his behavior. And you can fuck right off with your arrogant "you people" comment, as your ability to understand what labels mean as definition for a group is clearly faulty.
Maybe when you stop misrepresenting things just so it suits your agenda. The same as what Bob did. It didn't matter what the content of the movie actually was, just that it could be used as a soapbox.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Now that you say it, what with all the deconstructions of comic book narratives we've had over the years that we haven't had a Cancer Man yet; Mild mannered Clark Smithson, diagnosed with cancer, receives a tainted does of chemo that gives him powers, and now he has one wish: to rid his city of crime!
If I recall correctly, isn't that why Deadpool looks the way he does?

Maybe I made it up but I swear that he went into the Weapon X program to try to deal with his cancer (or maybe he joined any way and the cancer inadvertently interfered) and it's why he looks like a rotting melon for a face.

I'm not crazy, right? I suppose I could just Google it but that's not as much fun!

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
No. Take things like his videos on Joker where he completely made his opinion on it for political reasons and kept doubling down on his position because of his pride.
Also happened to an extent with him review of Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle which was becoming the whipping boy at the time for people not liking the reaction from fans to The Last Jedi. It was also the main rival film at the time too

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
If I recall correctly, isn't that why Deadpool looks the way he does?

Maybe I made it up but I swear that he went into the Weapon X program to try to deal with his cancer (or maybe he joined any way and the cancer inadvertently interfered) and it's why he looks like a rotting melon for a face.

I'm not crazy, right? I suppose I could just Google it but that's not as much fun!
You are remembering correctly.

Reactions: tippy2k2

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
It seems different this time around. The last time his contract wasn't renewed Bob made it clear he was very bitter about it, and the Escapist keeping the right to his shows implied the feeling was very much mutual. This was a notable difference with Sterling who got to keep the Jimquesition and all related branding. This time Bob seems much more mellow about it and the Escapist allowed him to keep his shows.
Jim bought the rights back actually he didn't just get to keep it.

While definitely true, you can blame the news media. As they once again took a movie, game, or piece of fiction, and try to spin it around like it was going to corrupt or destroy people. Trying to turn everyone into scared little animals.
And ironically the most violence to happen lead to the headline "40 person machete fight breaks out in Frozen II showing" which was actually related to I think it was the film "Blue Boy" or something because it was a film about gangs, gangs were going to see it and rival gangs ended up in the same showings and fights starting.

I wonder how much of the Joker rhetoric was Warner Brothers trying to make it a controversial film to drive people to go see it or Disney trying to make it seem dangerous to try and stop people going to see it because doing so means you're supporting "The bad guys" or whatever the political BS argument was.

Bob has been a mocking figure of the internet for a long time. That's what happens when you start disturbing The hornet's nest. In his early days he was just independent on YouTube, but he did get a job from Screwattack for a while .The problem was is that he actually cheated to get into the My Vids Don't Duck contest. I don't know the full details, so you have to look into that. That's part of the problem, most people don't even remember or know that. Then he got his job at The escapist and then he started being everywhere on the channel. He had at least two shows on there, three when you take into account the round table he did with Extra credits, Jim, and Yahtzee at the time. You could still avoid him, but he was in certain corners people didn't want him being in. The fact that he constantly wangst about certain things that are not that big a deal, or has this loud and proud and I am better than you attitude clearly was not helping. The whole you're with me or against me while claiming to be the good guy, so full of freaking delusions. Can you blame others for hating on him? That's why I quit and left. Got sick of his shit.
I think some of that is why there was an "Escapist movies" youtube channel for a brief while too

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Now that you say it, what with all the deconstructions of comic book narratives we've had over the years that we haven't had a Cancer Man yet; Mild mannered Clark Smithson, diagnosed with cancer, receives a tainted does of chemo that gives him powers, and now he has one wish: to rid his city of crime!
I feel like this is something Phillip Morris would have commissioned in the 60's.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Honestly? That would be one of those things that would be so freaking offensive it would loop around to being hilarious.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Bob has been a mocking figure of the internet for a long time. That's what happens when you start disturbing The hornet's nest. In his early days he was just independent on YouTube, but he did get a job from Screwattack for a while .The problem was is that he actually cheated to get into the My Vids Don't Duck contest. I don't know the full details, so you have to look into that. That's part of the problem, most people don't even remember or know that. Then he got his job at The escapist and then he started being everywhere on the channel. He had at least two shows on there, three when you take into account the round table he did with Extra credits, Jim, and Yahtzee at the time. You could still avoid him, but he was in certain corners people didn't want him being in. The fact that he constantly wangst about certain things that are not that big a deal, or has this loud and proud and I am better than you attitude clearly was not helping. The whole you're with me or against me while claiming to be the good guy, so full of freaking delusions. Can you blame others for hating on him? That's why I quit and left. Got sick of his shit.
Wait cheated? I never heard of this.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Yeah, I do not want red letter media reviewing on this site. I hate their freaking guts. They can bring back the guy from good bad flicks. I am still subscribed to his YouTube page. Guy still does content.
Good Back Flicks I actually still watch.
Sometimes I watch LRR but they did it better on the Escapist

Reactions: BrawlMan

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
While definitely true, you can blame the news media. As they once again took a movie, game, or piece of fiction, and try to spin it around like it was going to corrupt or destroy people. Trying to turn everyone into scared little animals.
You keep blaming the news media when we, as a society, were asking for it.

The news media just gives us what we want. (The news media should be more grown up but gotta makes those profits.)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Wait cheated? I never heard of this.
Super Luigu: This goes back a ways, but Bob having his followers join the ScrewAttack forum to vote in the "My Vids Don't Suck" contest in 2008 or so, ensuring that The Game Overthinker was the winner, regardless of what the actual ScrewAttack g1 audience would have voted for (this was years before Death Battle, when SA content was confined to the site and Game Trailers).

You do now. This happened back in 2008, before getting involved with The Escapists.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I sure as fuck didn't! Neither my family either! I sure as hell did not want to call the Aurora Shooter "Joker" like Fox News and certain others had done. When the shooter himself never once claimed that. Nearly all of them can go fuck themselves like usual.

The news media just gives us what we want. (The news media should be more grown up but gotta makes those profits.)
Like I said before, fuck them!

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Speaking of things from the murky past of the Escapist, what happened to the guys who did the No Right Answer videos?

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
It irks me too, because you wouldn't see a movie or comic that has "Cancer Man" the character that provides some levity and comical relief by virtue of his zany and hilarious tumors that pop out at odd times and does weird but comical stuff to his body.
Well...

We do live in a society.

Reactions: BrawlMan

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

You do now. This happened back in 2008, before getting involved with The Escapists.
I vaguely remember something similar that Jim Sterling did on Digg around the same time. Something like making tons of accounts to talk about himself and artificially generate buzz around himself.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I vaguely remember something similar that Jim Sterling did on Digg around the same time. Something like making tons of accounts to talk about himself and artificially generate buzz around himself.
Never knew about that one. At least Jim actually went out of his way improve himself. Thank you for the info.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
To be fair, Birds of Prey does make mental disorders out more to seem cute, quirky and fun and not as the crippling diseases that they are. It irks me too, because you wouldn't see a movie or comic that has "Cancer Man" the character that provides some levity and comical relief by virtue of his zany and hilarious tumors that pop out at odd times and does weird but comical stuff to his body (don't miss the scene were his brain metastasis makes him pass out just as he's about to take out the Dragon!). You wouldn't see "Fatty girl" who uses her hypothyreosis-induced obesity as a hilarious weapon (she jumps at bad guys and pins them with her massive body weight!) and have a lot of skits about how she's so very fat and lethargic because hypothyreosis is so quirky and amusing!

But if it is psychosis, OCD and antisocial personality disorder we are talking about, it is fair game to make a protagonist that's psychotic and violent in a funny way and dresses in a quirky mismatched and colorful fashion. Because gee, ain't she hilarious and zany? Mind you, this isn't just Birds of Prey that's a problem here. The entire character of Harley Quinn can fuck right off as it is based entirely on mental illness being quirky, funny and sexy.
So Deadpool and Blob? Pretty sure there's also a female version of the blob too.

Also pretty sure movies in the 90s did the whole fat person as a power set thing many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.